17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All in on the Strava club.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been going for runs for a couple of years now and have never really experienced anything I'd classify as "runner's high". Some runs feel easier and you know it quite early on, some less so, but that's it. Maybe I'm doing something wrong.

I did however manage to get a bleeding nipple running 14km today. Burns more than I'd have expected, the bastard. Guess I'll have to tape them for long distances or pay more attention to the shirts I'm wearing.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Serj View Post
    I've been going for runs for a couple of years now and have never really experienced anything I'd classify as "runner's high". Some runs feel easier and you know it quite early on, some less so, but that's it. Maybe I'm doing something wrong.

I did however manage to get a bleeding nipple running 14km today. Burns more than I'd have expected, the bastard. Guess I'll have to tape them for long distances or pay more attention to the shirts I'm wearing.
    I'm with you. I run because I know I need to, not because I enjoy it.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've never found running anything but a miserable experience. Weight training and long walks with MancSean in the countryside >>>>>>>

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it’s just the way our brains are wired differently as humans. Two of my best mates were appalled at the idea of running and suggested a load of other shit I should do instead that they love but would bore the fuck out of me. Another loves it and has just pulled the trigger on some expensive shoes. Horses for courses I guess.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good to see more people catching the running bug.

I'm starting training towards the Causeway Coast half marathon in September now. It's a lovely run, taking in the Giants Causeway on your way. I did it in 1:46:35, finishing 18th, in 2022 so I'm aiming to beat that. I've been mainly running 5-6k over winter so looking to ramp up a bit now and get nice and lean again before targeting those big long runs over what I hope to be a nice, warm summer.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Serj View Post

Luckily I have never had the bleeding nipple thing, but a lot of people I know who run have told me this has happened to them!

The other one that seems kind of common that I've managed to avoid is the toenail thing. Luckily all of mine have always stayed attached. Long may that continue.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tough going today after yesterday’s right result so tapped out after 20 mins at 3.3k. Ok with that as I’ve run every day since Tuesday now.

Drinking tonight and day off tomorrow so another sub 30 min 5k on Sunday is the target.

I’m combining this with removing shit from my diet and the weight is flying off - lost 3 pounds this week.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex View Post
    Luckily I have never had the bleeding nipple thing, but a lot of people I know who run have told me this has happened to them!

The other one that seems kind of common that I've managed to avoid is the toenail thing. Luckily all of mine have always stayed attached. Long may that continue.
    I usually damage my toenails playing football because I'm an uncoordinated, gangly creature and running can definitely worsen those injuries, though I don't think I've ever gotten one from running itself. I've got a pretty black toenail at the moment that looks like it should really come off any minute, but is hanging on for dear life.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Boydy View Post
    I feel like I'd give up on the running part too soon and start walking if I just left it up to how I feel. I like the structure of the programme so I can tell myself "I just need to run for X more minutes and then I can walk again".
    This is the same for me, I'm my own worst enemy as unless it's exercise I enjoy like playing football, my brain's constantly telling me 'that'll do, let's go home'.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I usually use zinc tape on my nipples and any hotspots on my feet I’ve lost 2 toenails and suffered some horrible blisters.

The Gower ultra I did was a learning lesson in looking after my feet on a 35 mile run a lot of it was over sand dunes and across rivers should have taken time to dry my feet off and removed the sand as best as I could at the check points but I ploughed on through.

Bleeding nipples are awful the pain is ridiculous but taping them up usually solves the problem.

Vaseline on thighs is a good shout to

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Kinky.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yevrah View Post
    Tough going today after yesterday’s right result so tapped out after 20 mins at 3.3k. Ok with that as I’ve run every day since Tuesday now.

Drinking tonight and day off tomorrow so another sub 30 min 5k on Sunday is the target.

I’m combining this with removing shit from my diet and the weight is flying off - lost 3 pounds this week.
    Is running every day a good idea?

If you're only getting back into shouldn't you probably have rest days in between runs? You're no spring chicken any more, Yev.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Haha. It’ll be fine. Just wanted to get something in today as that would have been two days with nothing otherwise.

It’s knackering me but after getting over the hideous start I’m confident it’ll get less and less tiring as my body gets used to it.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mid-week update.

Friday turned into a ludicrous night out which wrote the weekend off, with no running on Sunday as a result.

Monday 5k - 31:29 - Felt wrong all the way through but was on for a record pace at 4.6k when I suddenly hit the wall. Had to walk for a bit and then ambled over the line.
    Tuesday 5k - 29:25 - Normal service resumed yesterday with a this time running pb. Rounded off the half hour by hitting 5.1k at 30 minutes dead too.
    Wednesday 5k - 29:29 - Same treadmill settings as yesterday, so no idea why I was 4 seconds slower. Felt grim for the last couple of km's but bloody minded determination saw me through.

Weight loss is now up to 5lbs in about 10 days I think. Sub-29 minutes is the next target.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yevrah View Post
    Mid-week update.

Friday turned into a ludicrous night out which wrote the weekend off, with no running on Sunday as a result.

Monday 5k - 31:29 - Felt wrong all the way through but was on for a record pace at 4.6k when I suddenly hit the wall. Had to walk for a bit and then ambled over the line.
    Tuesday 5k - 29:25 - Normal service resumed yesterday with a this time running pb. Rounded off the half hour by hitting 5.1k at 30 minutes dead too.
    Wednesday 5k - 29:29 - Same treadmill settings as yesterday, so no idea why I was 4 seconds slower. Felt grim for the last couple of km's but bloody minded determination saw me through.

Weight loss is now up to 5lbs in about 10 days I think. Sub-29 minutes is the next target.
    If you want to make your 5k's quicker it may sound slightly weird but increase your distance but run slower for a while once or twice a week.

Also coming off the treadmill and running on the road might help. I really struggle with pace on a treadmill and will be blowing out of my arse after 15/20 mins because the speed if just constant. Whereas on the road because I can slow down and push when I want/need to I find it at lot easier to have those consistent runs where I improve.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah tempo longer runs mixed with faster shorter runs will help build your 5k speed.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had a bit of an unpleasant one on the last, pre-marathon long run earlier. The 20 miler. The dreaded "wall". That hasn't got me in a long time. Such an awful feeling. The legs (and subsequently the pace) were gone from 15 miles onwards, I just couldn't get it back on track.

Although I did stick out to 20, which is something. I am a believer that the very hard/outright horrendous ones are worth more in the bank (as long as you see them through) than the easy ones. It builds the mental strength, which is the most important thing in many ways.

I don't fancy the idea of sticking another 6.2 miles on top of that in a fortnight though! I mean I've done it before, rationally I know I can.....I just can't imagine it right now.