User Tag List

Page 8 of 52 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: The House Thread

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Surely you can find a flat in Manchester for less than that?

ram it up your shitpipe Giggles's Avatar
    Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    £900

I'd be made up with somewhere that cheap.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I really can't. Not in the centre at least.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I looked on rightmove for five minutes and there were plenty.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bills on top.

Banned
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I pay £370 per month and I'm 20 mins walk from Leeds train station

Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hammer View Post
    I pay £370 per month and I'm 20 mins walk from Leeds train station
    You have to live with people though.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Giggles View Post
    You have to live with people though.
    ...in Leeds

Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Raoul Duke View Post
    ...in Leeds
    The £70 would be too much.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Raoul Duke View Post
    ...in Leeds
    Don't you live in fucking Tower Hamlets?

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes. I have Michelin starred restaurants within 20 minutes walk.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When you put it like that, is relative financial security really that big a deal?

Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He said that like it was a good thing.

More successful than most Magic's Avatar
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    20 minute walks.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Our shower hasn't been draining properly, and it appears to have been caused by a hedgehog falling into the outside drain, because I fished out some bones and most of its prickly skin. The smell.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bought my wall bracket so when that arrives the second tv can go on the wall in the living room.

One last shelf to put up and then I can move onto actual decorating. 'My en suite ceiling is absolutely fucked but I'll deal with that last.

Still got a big space on the wall in the hall. Thinking either a signed/framed NFL or football shirt.

Can you buy Titus bramble memorabilia these days or did that become risqué when he turned a bit rapey?

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We need pics of this dual telly setup so we can mock.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Magic View Post
    We need pics of this dual telly setup so we can mock.
    I'll show your wife on Snapchat. It's probably capable of reflecting my penis.

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Going to get a quote for knocking down a load bearing wall to make a kitchen/diner. That's step 1 for basically re-doing the whole house.
    £3,010 including a couple of new doors and flooring the hallway too.

EDIT: Plus the architect is £3,510 in total. To knock down a fucking wall basically.

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Throw your wife into it, I'm sure it'll come tumbling down.

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd like the wall down not the whole fucking house.

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    LOL it's all going so, so wrong.

There was a discrepancy in the plans so they couldn't install the steel beam. Now I have fucking scaffolding in my kitchen holding the roof up, and I can't use my washing machine or dishwasher. Even worse still, when the electric was off the heating programmer must have blown as it is fucked now. Had to order a retrofit one as it's a weird connection type and it's in tiles so can't even plaster it and make a new hole.

To recap:

I have no washing machine or dishwasher
    I have no heating (back up immersion for hot water thank fuck but only does 1 shower at a time)
    I have no hoover because it blew up

FML.

Banned
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Put a bid in on a house on Thursday. Estate agent rang me on Saturday telling me that they'd had a cash bid from someone who isn't even fussed about a survey. They were in touch to tell me that the seller would prefer to sell to me as I'll be living in the house itself, but that they wanted to know if I'd try and negotiate the price if anything comes up from having the survey done.

Bit weird. I said that I'm not fussed about faffing around for the sake of a couple of hundred quid but if there's 10k worth of stuff that needs doing then that's not something I can reasonably ignore. I guess we'll see what comes of it.

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's much better here where the seller pays for the survey regardless.

Also surveys are a fucking waste of time.

Banned
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's an old house so I'd want a proper survey on it.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Those home reports are an absolute waste of time. Money for old rope for the wankers that get to churn them out.

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I didn't bother with a survey. One of our friends is a structural engineer so he gave it a onceover for us.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What happens down south? Does every potential buyer need to get a survey done?

Banned
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've known a few people who have only had the entry-level surveys done and have ended up being royally fucked over 6 months down the line when it's turned out that they've needed a load of stuff doing. Fuck that, I'm not taking the risk. It's probably working as a debt advisor but I'm massively careful about these things.

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Adamski View Post
    What happens down south? Does every potential buyer need to get a survey done?
    Don't know if it's compulsory or at the buyer's discretion but the seller doesn't pay for it certainly. There's a few odd rules between the two countries in terms of buying/selling.

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've known a few people who have only had the entry-level surveys done and have ended up being royally fucked over 6 months down the line when it's turned out that they've needed a load of stuff doing. Fuck that, I'm not taking the risk. It's probably working as a debt advisor but I'm massively careful about these things.
    Ok well on my current house survey it said fuck all about the garage roof nor the house roof, both of which needed replaced after less than 2 years in the house at a cost of about £10,000.

Banned
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok well on my current house survey it said fuck all about the garage roof nor the house roof, both of which needed replaced after less than 2 years in the house at a cost of about £10,000.
    If they mention to me that there are issues then I could theoretically try and knock it off the offer I'm making. If they miss something out then whevs, I'd only be in the same position as I would be without a proper survey. At least I've tried finding out about it though.

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not really, only if it's a '3' which I believe needs action. 1s and 2s are deemed standard wear and tear and you can't knock jack shit off.

Hint - 3 = roof has collapsed or severe structural issues.

Double hint - you are barking up the wrong tree.

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anyone ever paid someone to move a radiator along the wall? I've seen people quoting anywhere from £80 to £300 so it's tough to know what a proper price is.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Put a bid in on a house on Thursday. Estate agent rang me on Saturday telling me that they'd had a cash bid from someone who isn't even fussed about a survey. They were in touch to tell me that the seller would prefer to sell to me as I'll be living in the house itself, but that they wanted to know if I'd try and negotiate the price if anything comes up from having the survey done.

Bit weird. I said that I'm not fussed about faffing around for the sake of a couple of hundred quid but if there's 10k worth of stuff that needs doing then that's not something I can reasonably ignore. I guess we'll see what comes of it.
    Not as unusual as you might think.

I own an estate agency and we have shit like this all the time where the old doris in the house wants a family in there or a young couple rather than a developer and will happily make a horrible commercial decision on the back of that mentality.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SvN View Post
    Anyone ever paid someone to move a radiator along the wall? I've seen people quoting anywhere from £80 to £300 so it's tough to know what a proper price is.
    Depends how far you're moving it, but if its 6ft along on the same wall and it's an internal wall then probably £150. If its an external wall I'd say closer to £300.

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's what we want to do:

We want to remove the current radiator and replace it with a vertical radiator.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If they mention to me that there are issues then I could theoretically try and knock it off the offer I'm making. If they miss something out then whevs, I'd only be in the same position as I would be without a proper survey. At least I've tried finding out about it though.
    All surveys say is 'X looks like it may need attention in the future, however don't take my word for it, have a professional look at it'

Get a homebuyers, then have other companies inspect anything that comes up as a red 3.

That way atleast you have quotes for the work that can justify your price reduction.

Banned
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Demerit View Post
    All surveys say is 'X looks like it may need attention in the future, however don't take my word for it, have a professional look at it'

Get a homebuyers, then have other companies inspect anything that comes up as a red 3.

That way atleast you have quotes for the work that can justify your price reduction.
    Homebuyers? Is that as opposed to the one that the bank does? If so, then that's what I'd be looking at having anyway. Cheers for the advice.

I'm sure it's probably not generalizable as it depends on all kinds of factors, but are red 3s common?

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Homebuyers? Is that as opposed to the one that the bank does? If so, then that's what I'd be looking at having anyway. Cheers for the advice.

I'm sure it's probably not generalizable as it depends on all kinds of factors, but are red 3s common?
    Three different types of survey. Mortgage valuation/homebuyers/full structural.

Mortgage valuation is a 20 minute job where the surveyor doesn't really look at anything but the value of the house and whether the bank will get its money back.

Homebuyers is two hours and they'll provide the traffic light system.

Full Structural is 4-5 hours usually and they'll provide more information on the faults, take the time to go on the roof rather than just look at it etc. This is usually a waste of money because they still protect their arses by saying they can't fully advise on certain matters etc.

You'll always get red 3's on a survey. It doesn't necessarily mean there's a fault there. A flat roof is almost always a red 3. I had one this morning actually where the flat roof was replaced 6 months ago with a 10 year guarantee and it came back as a red 3 because the surveyor said it needed to be inspected and the certificates seen. So it's not always 'this is a major issue and the house is going to fall down' sort of issue.

Ones to look out for are any structural comments, pitched roof issues and damp. All of which you can get free quotes for easily and use as a means to negotiate the price.

Banned
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Demerit View Post
    Three different types of survey. Mortgage valuation/homebuyers/full structural.

Mortgage valuation is a 20 minute job where the surveyor doesn't really look at anything but the value of the house and whether the bank will get its money back.

Homebuyers is two hours and they'll provide the traffic light system.

Full Structural is 4-5 hours usually and they'll provide more information on the faults, take the time to go on the roof rather than just look at it etc. This is usually a waste of money because they still protect their arses by saying they can't fully advise on certain matters etc.

You'll always get red 3's on a survey. It doesn't necessarily mean there's a fault there. A flat roof is almost always a red 3. I had one this morning actually where the flat roof was replaced 6 months ago with a 10 year guarantee and it came back as a red 3 because the surveyor said it needed to be inspected and the certificates seen. So it's not always 'this is a major issue and the house is going to fall down' sort of issue.

Ones to look out for are any structural comments, pitched roof issues and damp. All of which you can get free quotes for easily and use as a means to negotiate the price.
    Cheers for that, that's awesome. Would you generally suggest the homebuyers survey then? Edit: You said so earlier. Sorry.

I didn't get it in the end. Some rich arsehole bidding the whole amount at once got favoured . I'm still gonna keep my eyes peeled though.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cheers for that, that's awesome. Would you generally suggest the homebuyers survey then? Edit: You said so earlier. Sorry.

I didn't get it in the end. Some rich arsehole bidding the whole amount at once got favoured . I'm still gonna keep my eyes peeled though.
    Houses built more than 10 years ago, yes. Houses built less than 10 years ago, don't bother as you're still covered by a guarantee even if it is fucked.

Flat's, absolutely no need, you'd get as much information from a builder as you would a surveyor.

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SvN View Post
    Here's what we want to do:

We want to remove the current radiator and replace it with a vertical radiator.
    Yeah I moved to another wall same room and new rad + TRV and it was about 300 odd.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are solicitors all useless or have I just picked a really bad one? I thought you'd at least need some sort of general intelligence to become one.

Had a bid accepted on a house 2 weeks ago, went in signed the relevant representation contracts and gave proof of ID etc. They managed to lose the copies of my ID meaning I had to go back in again as for some reason they wouldn't let me send a copy by email (Even though they've already validated the originals). They didn't actually tell me this I had to ring up to ask for an update on if the searches etc had started.

I rang up today for another update and they basically took offence that I was ringing up asking what they're currently doing and if there's anything they need from me: "We would move faster on the file if we didn't need to keep giving updates every other day", I went off on one a bit on the phone and said it's actually been a week and in slightly kinder words, I'm paying you for this shower of shit service.

I might ask to speak to the senior partner if this carries on but as a rough guideline how often did anyone who has been through the process have to chase them? Surely they should actually provide updates themselves...

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They're all shitweasels.

I'm pretty sure I made one of mine cry when I was selling my mum's place, but they are unfathomably incompetent. They should all be replaced by software/AI immediately

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemmo View Post
    Are solicitors all useless or have I just picked a really bad one? I thought you'd at least need some sort of general intelligence to become one.

Had a bid accepted on a house 2 weeks ago, went in signed the relevant representation contracts and gave proof of ID etc. They managed to lose the copies of my ID meaning I had to go back in again as for some reason they wouldn't let me send a copy by email (Even though they've already validated the originals). They didn't actually tell me this I had to ring up to ask for an update on if the searches etc had started.

I rang up today for another update and they basically took offence that I was ringing up asking what they're currently doing and if there's anything they need from me: "We would move faster on the file if we didn't need to keep giving updates every other day", I went off on one a bit on the phone and said it's actually been a week and in slightly kinder words, I'm paying you for this shower of shit service.

I might ask to speak to the senior partner if this carries on but as a rough guideline how often did anyone who has been through the process have to chase them? Surely they should actually provide updates themselves...
    You get what you pay for generally with solicitors.

If you've gone with one of these 'Team 1' 'Team 2' outfits then you're stuffed.

I generally chase solicitors once every other day, otherwise they do nothing.

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ours wasn't bad - or at least he gave the impression he was doing his job. There were a few delays which came from the other end (according to him). We weren't in a massive rush anyway so it helped us out that it took a bit longer than originally expected.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The ones we used were recommended by the developer so everyone knew the relevant contacts already. The only delays were caused by the builders so we had to sign stuff and apply again but otherwise it was relatively painless.

Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anyone got a washer dryer? Which one and is it good?
    I'm a twit

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Four weeks till the end of my contract and I've still not found anywhere. Squeaky bum time.