Page 196 of 581 FirstFirst ... 96146186194195196197198206246296 ... LastLast
Results 9,751 to 9,800 of 29008

Thread: Coronavirus Death Thread

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My nephew spouts the phrase, "Fucking idiot." every once in a while. It's funny but, man, you have to break that habit pronto.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So, something I clocked today. The scientists coming out and saying things are being relaxed too early with the 6 people etcetera. Why weren’t they saying this when the same was enacted in Scotland and NI.

I think we have handled the pandemic terribly and there’s a lot that should have been done differently. But, this is where the press piss me off. Why does everything have to be so politicised constantly?

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shindig View Post
    My nephew spouts the phrase, "Fucking idiot." every once in a while. It's funny but, man, you have to break that habit pronto.
    A taxi once beeped at me while I was getting my daughter out of the car because the door was blocking his way. I replied 'Give me a second you prick' and my daughter spent the next week calling various people and things a 'prick'. The problem is, acknowledging it just gives it power. She just stopped using it in the end.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Luke Emia View Post
    So, something I clocked today. The scientists coming out and saying things are being relaxed too early with the 6 people etcetera. Why weren’t they saying this when the same was enacted in Scotland and NI.

I think we have handled the pandemic terribly and there’s a lot that should have been done differently. But, this is where the press piss me off. Why does everything have to be so politicised constantly?
    Scotland and NI haven't done what we are.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by phonics View Post
    Do you remember anything from when you were 3? Does it matter really?
    Yes.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, discussing fingering with a 3 year old in earshot is really not cool.

Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Even if there's not any children in earshot, just shut the fuck up.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well quite, but I'm making some allowance for the vulgar mentality of youth.

Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Luke Emia View Post

As far as I know, Scotland and NI have their own scientific/medical advisors.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by phonics View Post
    Do you remember anything from when you were 3? Does it matter really?
    The first 2.5-3 years of your life are crucial in terms of development. They're not likely to retain that information consciously but Spikey makes a good point - at that age kids are picking up all kinds of new language on an almost daily basis.

Granted sexually explicit talk probably won't harm your psychological development at that point, but it's still a significant period.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Offshore Toon View Post
    @niko_cee how do you feeling about Guernsey's approach? The Jersey and Guernsey Facebook mandem are acting like you've played everything perfectly, but I can't help but think it's a bit of a short-sighted approach.
    I think we have somehow nailed the PR a lot better (your chief minister seems a bit of a div) but really there doesn't seem an awful lot different in the numbers. Yeah, you have more deaths, but the cases look to be on a par population wise. We're just lauding it because we've been lucky enough to enter what we want to call 'elimination' and a large section of society over here would be only too happy if you said no one could ever come or go again. I reckon we probably have handled it a bit better, but the differences seem marginal.

On a wider level it's why we tend to have less nice things in terms of amenities, by comparison. We have a lot of highly parochial types here.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also, am I missing something with those 'excess death' figures taz/the guardian posted up the other day or is Germany happily ticking along at a shit load more people routinely dying on a weekly basis than anywhere else?

How do they average out 20k+ people dying a week as 'normal' (or actually some sort of percentage reduction)? I know they have more people than the other major European nations, but not that many more.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    https://www.euromomo.eu/graphs-and-maps

Check out that big fucking hump.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love Y-axes that start at 50,000

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Given the range of results you're not missing much.

The Artist Formerly Known as Taz
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That Durdle Door pic is superb. I'm hearing about how 2nd wave was much worse for Spanish flu, get the popcorn in [and the fucking beer gardens open].

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The good weather has been utterly relentless. It really needs to rain for a week.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-52864072

A Belgian prince has contracted coronavirus after attending a party during lockdown in Spain, the country's royal palace says.

Prince Joachim, 28, travelled from Belgium to Spain for an internship on 26 May, the palace said.

Two days later, he went to a party in the southern city of Córdoba, before testing positive for Covid-19.

Spanish reports suggest the prince, a nephew of Belgium's King Philippe, was among 27 people at the party.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by niko_cee View Post
    I think we have somehow nailed the PR a lot better (your chief minister seems a bit of a div) but really there doesn't seem an awful lot different in the numbers. Yeah, you have more deaths, but the cases look to be on a par population wise. We're just lauding it because we've been lucky enough to enter what we want to call 'elimination' and a large section of society over here would be only too happy if you said no one could ever come or go again. I reckon we probably have handled it a bit better, but the differences seem marginal.

On a wider level it's why we tend to have less nice things in terms of amenities, by comparison. We have a lot of highly parochial types here.
    Yeah, that seems about right. Our CM is an arrogant bellend, but he gets more stick than is probably deserved.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Big fan of our Scientific Advisers making it clear that the government is no longer taking their advice and are rushing ahead for political reasons.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Every patch of green near me looks like a village fete. I can't conceive of how this doesn't result in a massive second wave.

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Because we’ve all already had it.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It won't. Outdoors is pretty irrelevant and looking at parks is just confirmation bias. What about people who aren't in parks, or the majority in parks who are social distancing? We are still nowhere near the 'normal' circumstances in which the first wave happened, with people crammed into buses and trains and offices and other people's homes (indoors) and shops and bars and pubs and nightclubs.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If a second wave were to happen, those climaxing at the very thought need to be culled.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And based on my twitter feed there seem to be an awful lot of them about.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spikey M View Post
    Big fan of our Scientific Advisers making it clear that the government is no longer taking their advice and are rushing ahead for political reasons.
    Why are they doing this? According to @Lee it was all fine (R very low everywhere apart from care homes) and the government had done a good job of scaring people? Does he now think the scientific advisers are doing a good job of scaring people?

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the Scientific Advisers are just mindful of the fact that they have very much had all the responsibility for our strategy put on their shoulders under the guise of 'following the science'. If the Government are now not doing that it makes sense that they would want that known.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's fair enough, but why don't they agree with it?

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The 'Scientific Advisors' aren't officially mindful of anything, and they would soon find themselves out of a job if they started freelancing. It's one attendee, who you get the impression is trying to cover his arse a bit after he (unfairly) became a bit of a viral sensation.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think they're the voice of caution. The government can say we're opening up whilst they are reiterating the rules and what's at stake.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-52862440

Can see my Sister again from Monday

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What a shitshow.

EDIT: Not you and your sister Mahow.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Might see my mam and dad this week then. Maybe.

Fuck like you cook.
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I believe doing the complete opposite is how to survive this. I don't need statistics to act on a gut feeling and my gut is screaming that this is still far too dangerous.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm seeing my parents on Tuesday. It's been long enough.

Fuck like you cook.
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think you'd be fine to see them but will you hug them? Will you go inside the house etc?

I just don't see how it's worth a risk but I think depends on the person. Example I can imagine you'd be careful but the chaps who were talking about fingering etc, not so much. I don't know. I just think for the sake of safety and another few weeks, what's the harm. I'd rather wait for something I can enjoy than to be restricted in what I can even do when greeting parent and the paranoia that would inevitably come with it.

I'm more nervous now and more cautious than probably March/April because it feels really wrong. I can't shake the feeling.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I only hug family at funerals, mate.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll follow the current rules which say I can see them in their garden (I don't have a garden).

If we're waiting until things are perfectly safe then it'll be at least a year, maybe more, and that's a large percentage of my lifespan.

Mentioned
    199 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have a game of Garden Soccer.
    I'm a twit

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Waffdon View Post
    Because we’ve all already had it.
    Only 7% of us according to the boffins.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Baz View Post
    Have a game of Garden Soccer.
    @Henry.

Fuck like you cook.
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We're fucked.

Anyone live near?

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bet every single one of them was tweeting last week about the dangers of lifting restrictions too early.

Fuck like you cook.
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You're probably right. I've never been so happy to be such a hermit.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's only London. Fuck it.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Smjffy View Post
    I think you'd be fine to see them but will you hug them? Will you go inside the house etc?

I just don't see how it's worth a risk but I think depends on the person. Example I can imagine you'd be careful but the chaps who were talking about fingering etc, not so much. I don't know. I just think for the sake of safety and another few weeks, what's the harm. I'd rather wait for something I can enjoy than to be restricted in what I can even do when greeting parent and the paranoia that would inevitably come with it.

I'm more nervous now and more cautious than probably March/April because it feels really wrong. I can't shake the feeling.
    Out of interest, what do you think is going to change in the next few weeks to make it any safer? I do appreciate what you're saying Smiff. But at the same time, we either try and take steps towards approaching something like normality or we all just carry on living a reclusive existence until theres a vaccine.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex View Post
    Out of interest, what do you think is going to change in the next few weeks to make it any safer? I do appreciate what you're saying Smiff. But at the same time, we either try and take steps towards approaching something like normality or we all just carry on living a reclusive existence until theres a vaccine.
    The number of infected people would have been lower.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I must admit, some of these scenes do not look good.

But I've got a 7th ring to win for the Bulls, so meh.

Fuck like you cook.
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex View Post
    Truthfully....it's mostly the numbers. We're still sailing very close to the R, I think it was 8,000 a day still getting infected, hundreds still dying and I have zero confidence in government or the public. It really feels like doomsday and too many are seemingly oblivious to it. I do hope I am just panicked a bit and that I am as wrong as ever but I am so uneasy about all this. Every step we've taken seems rushed, confusing and depending where you live in the UK, completely different. I'm just really worried, I'll be honest there even if I get ribbed.

All around all I am seeing and hearing is death death death, no amount of money is worth the cost of just one let alone hundreds still happening. I only see seriously bad news ahead.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He says there were 1,936 new confirmed cases on Saturday.

That is the first time in ages that the figure has dipped below 2,000. However, there are two important caveats. The figures always tend to lower over the weekend and they only include people who have actually tested positive.
    Erm ... as opposed to including people who've tested negative? Eh?