0 0%
Page 40 of 43 FirstFirst ... 303839404142 ... LastLast
Results 1,951 to 2,000 of 2122

Thread: F1 2021 - Covid 2: Viral Boogaloo

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Amazing review, terrible music. I expect it to feature strongly in James' next music installment.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not even James could claim that there's anything above 3/10 on the album. 'Women come women go' is genuinely one of the worst tracks I've ever heard, I think.

ram it up your shitpipe Giggles's Avatar
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The quality is probably that bit too high for James.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That sounded awful.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know if the curiosity is worth ruining my youtube recommendations. Might have to balance it out with Terry Funk's album.

Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Randy Savages album is a legit banger.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shindig View Post
    I don't know if the curiosity is worth ruining my youtube recommendations. Might have to balance it out with Terry Funk's album.
    I made sure to get it in before there was any danger of him coming up on my Spotify Wrapped 2022.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I saw the other day that outgoing FIA president the Rt Hon M. Todt was being replaced by either some English dude called [Bram?] Stocker or Sheikh Von Middle East III, so, well, we can all guess how that election went, and now the new man is bowling around threatening to 'punish' Hamilton for not attending their dinner the other night. Good to see the organisation is in safe hands.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You know how Ferrari threatened to break away at every step of the 90s/00's? Mercedes should actually do it.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Incredible dedication to that.

Also are you into a bit of Knopfler, Jimmy, or was he just the finger picker who came to mind?

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is a ceremony Toto, we came here to go prize giving.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    Incredible dedication to that.

Also are you into a bit of Knopfler, Jimmy, or was he just the finger picker who came to mind?
    I do like him but I just thought of the first person that came to mind for finger picking, no idea if there's any justification for that.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 7om View Post
    On a change of subject I was thinking the other day about the log jam we’ve got with young drivers trying to get on the grid.

I would say Ilott, De Vries, Schwartzman, Ticktum, Vips and Liam Lawson all have good arguments to be given a chance. But the icing on the cake is that Oscar Piastri won back-to-back F3 and then F2 and can only get a reserve role. Criminal that he has to sit on the sidelines while wank like Latifi, Mazepin and Lance Stroll get seats.

We could easily add two more teams and keep the driving standards extremely high. It’s a shame.
    I dont pay attention to the drivers until they reach F1 but is it safe to say they are awful unless they win some type of junior ranked championship? I like to check a drivers wiki page and most have a 1st next to their name when they raced in the Renault sports cop when they were 15 for example. They all do except Mazepin who has never won any sort of racing title. Therefore dreadful.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Floyd View Post
    I do like him but I just thought of the first person that came to mind for finger picking, no idea if there's any justification for that.
    I love a bit of Knopfler. I don't think anybody considers him the best ever guitarist or anyone but I think he's up there with the finger pickers.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SincereTheRebel View Post
    I dont pay attention to the drivers until they reach F1 but is it safe to say they are awful unless they win some type of junior ranked championship? I like to check a drivers wiki page and most have a 1st next to their name when they raced in the Renault sports cop when they were 15 for example. They all do except Mazepin who has never won any sort of racing title. Therefore dreadful.
    Vettel sort of bucks that trend with his junior record and I don't think Stroll is stealing a race seat. I think the problem is two-fold:

1) Every engine supplier has a driver academy that they blood through the junior ranks. They get to Formula 1 at a much younger age.
    2) Formula 1 careers also have a longer tail end.

Alonso effectively came back twice. Raikkonen came back twice. Lewis never left and he's now 30-odd. Sebastian Vettel has been on the grid for 14 years. It holds the grid in a vice grip because they struggle to field 20 cars and only 2-3 of them are realistically up for grabs.

Journeymen like Rubens aren't a rare sight any more and unless we get 2-3 more teams on the grid, that squeeze will continue.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The older drivers stay on the grid because they're better, name one F2 sprog who would have been better than Fernando Alonso.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Now that I think about it, there's always been a strong old guard in the sport. Prost and Senna ran forever, Mansell, Coulthard, Barrichello, Schumacher, Kimi. They definitely start way younger these days.

Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Everyone slagged off Grosjean and Errikson and their replacements whether money driver or sperm of good driver aka money driver were absolute turd.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think anyone thought they would be better, Gene Haas didn't want to spend any more money so they got ones that paid the most. Magnussen was decent but not good enough to be crashing into people as much as he did and Grosjean was Grosjean.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There have always been good drivers who just don't make it for whatever reason. Felix da Costa. Dario Franchitti. Allan McNish (he eventually had a season as a glorified test driver). Illott will probably be another. None of these would have been world champion. The elite get drives.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    JEV

Of those listed Vips, Piastri, and Lawson stand the best chance of getting in, partly because the Red Bull system tends to churn through drivers pretty quickly. Other than that there's people like Hauger, Martins, maybe the other Leclerc and Pourchaire who are worth watching. The yanks would dearly love a vaguely US related driver so don't rule out Logan Sargeant, not sure anyone will make the leap from Indy but O'Ward is probably the only one who would be anywhere near competitive.
    Last edited by Disco; 18-12-2021 at 12:31 PM.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    JEV had the somewhat unique experience of doing a really good job in F1 and then getting binned anyway - albeit for Max Verstappen, but they retained Kvyat who I think was the inferior driver.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pourchaire will definitely get a seat at some point. I thought he’d replace Zhou for 2023 but now I’m not so sure. He must be bringing massive amounts of cash.

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Any chance anywhere of the 'Murican that Liberty Media so desperately crave?

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Zhou brings more than just cash. Similarly as soon as any American is even vaguely up to speed, they will be parachuted into a seat.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gray Fox View Post
    Any chance anywhere of the 'Murican that Liberty Media so desperately crave?
    My prediction is that Logan Sergeant will get a Williams drive eventually. Hopefully in place of Latifi in '23.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The problem with that is that there's exactly one good US driver in the junior system. Making the jump from Indy is tricky as nobody is going to get enough car time to be properly prepared and anyone good enough still isn't going to get an opportunity anywhere other than a back marker or midfield team which isn't particularly tempting if you're in with a chance of winning in Indycar. The O'Ward Mclaren relationship is the most likely one to work but it would be a hell of a punt to replace either of their current drivers.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Floyd View Post
    Zhou brings more than just cash.
    Not reallt that impressed with him, to be honest. Ilott and Shwartzman both deserve that seat more than him on pure driving ability.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Irrelevant, he'll get a billlion Chinese eyeballs on it. All he has to be is quick enough not to be embarrassing.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Zhou is decent enough, his junior career would suggest at least as good as Giovinazzi and a step better than the Mazepin/Schumacher/Latifi crowd.

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lest we forget Mazepin finishing 21st in a 20 man championship, whilst also having recorded a fastest lap at a GP.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Technically true but a bit selective (Kubica got a drive in a better car and the fastest lap was meaningless), he was 'beaten' by a decidedly average Schumacher which is more damning than anything.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's probably harder than it looks to manage that under safety car conditions.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Someone had to get it.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Disco View Post
    Technically true but a bit selective (Kubica got a drive in a better car and the fastest lap was meaningless), he was 'beaten' by a decidedly average Schumacher which is more damning than anything.
    Schumacher is a tough to judge. Won F3 and F2 but I’m not convinced either. What is it about him?

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I didn't think he was that great in F2, the season he won. Can't remember why I thought that, but I did.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He's got a reputation of taking a season or two to really settle. Doesn't help that his results prior to taking a title are very hit and miss. He was more consistent in F3 but the curtailed F2 season just landed him the two wins. He won that title on consistency.
    Last edited by Shindig; 18-12-2021 at 01:36 PM.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He's a slightly better Lance Stroll, has had every opportunity and always a safe seat. He's done better than most would but I'm not sure he goes much further than this.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Remind me never to jump in a youtube comment section to suggest Lewis was also unlucky throughout the season and he would've been a worthy champion. I fucking hate F1 fandom.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To be honest, I'd expect irrational abuse from any youtube comment section, regardless of the topic.

But it is true that the fandom has become very polarized this year. The "meme subreddit" r/formuladank is basically an anti-Hamilton support group now.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's just astonishing, though. I was alright with it being teenage girls fawning over a pockmarked Lando Norris but this is spectacular retardation. "Well, erm, ackschooally, Max had a poorer stop in Monza so he was entitled to go for that gap. And Bottas took him out intentionally in Hungary and IT WAS INTENTIONAL AT SILVERSTONE erm ..... he DESERVED IT. LOOK HOW HAPPY VETTEL IS BECAUSE SCHUMACHER'S STILL ON TOP!"

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They're buying Mclaren.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Auto Union and Mercedes blood feud, please.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/59742339

Okay, that might pave his way off the grid. At least in the long-term.
    Last edited by Shindig; 22-12-2021 at 07:11 AM.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jean Alesi has been arrested for arson.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jean Alesi and son Giuliano will appear in court after a “bad joke” in which an explosive device was set off at his brother-in-law’s office.
    That's such a Balotelli prank.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not sure how provisional this is but there's a few on here that could be a bit more than doubtful. Australia, Miami (lol), Singapore, and Japan all seem questionable to me.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Japan and Singapore's late enough in the year to probably get greenlit and the Aussies might be alright considering they'll be doing the Australian Open this month with capacity crowds. The only tricky thing is if vaccine status becomes an obstacle. Miami's daft but they let Jeddah get away with it at the 11th hour.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I left out Canada, that's another dodgy one.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Australia I think will be fine. Nice that they've not even pretended to have China this time, hopefully it stays that way.