Page 64 of 76 FirstFirst ... 1454626364656674 ... LastLast
Results 3,151 to 3,200 of 3762

Thread: What shall your weekend bring?

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mugbull View Post
    A lift tonight as in a taxi? You gonna be dropping big bucks on that? I’d just stay the night
    It's obviously not a taxi.

ram it up your shitpipe Giggles's Avatar
    Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by igor_balis View Post
    At a wedding in dorset, I can get a lift home with the parents of the groom at 4pm tomrorow after sleeping in a 4 man dorm or get a lift home tonight and be in bed at 1am ish. Is it wrong that I'm massively leaning towards the latter?
    How much is a zany story on the train?

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Went to that London today, it is a generally awful place that should be avoided whenever possible.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The amount of petty crime is mad. I've been #mooching about quite a bit recently and seen far more than I'd ever expected before moving up. This isn't a friendly city for women, either. Nowhere near. There are far more opportunities here, but not all of them are positive.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The place is the worst city I have ever visited. I suspect it could only be topped by New York, Chicago and LA.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    New York's big enough for you to escape some of that bullshit. Although it could just be I never looked like having owt worth stealing.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spikey M View Post
    The place is the worst city I have ever visited. I suspect it could only be topped by New York, Chicago and LA.
    Ah yes, the classic “big cities are bad, especially if they’re in the US”

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ah yes, the classic “big cities are bad, especially if they’re in the US”
    It's more 'the bigger the city and the greater the inequality of wealth, the worse it is'. Giving every fucker a gun is a compounding factor.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    New York is one of the safest places I've been to. Never felt much danger (bar the one time I went to Harlem to go and play football on Randell island.)

Where in London were you?

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    People in big US cities don't have many guns. It's the Lewis types in the suburbs you've got to watch out for

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No guns in LA or Chicago. Alright m8.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have been in London since Friday and I don't like it also. It's too busy for me. Ive been spending so many coins lately on event travelling. I need to slow down.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, ok, the gangs have guns, but they’re not gonna go after British tourists unless you walk through Skid Row at night

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, ok, the gangs have guns, but they’re not gonna go after British tourists unless you walk through Skid Row at night
    The question at hand is how shit cities are, not how shit a tourist destination they are. Although I suspect they would feature on that list too. London certainly does.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The American cities all have insane inequalities, so yeah if that’s your singular metric then the set of US cities is strictly worse than the set of European cities.

Not to delegitimize that point btw, American society is disgusting for letting this fester the way it has

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I get into Central London a bit with work and you wonder what the appeal is. I used to think it would be great to live there with money, but that's probably a bit out of date now. National landmarks aside somewhere like Manchester or even Leeds could offer you everything London does as a metropolis, and I would far sooner live somewhere like Oxford or Norwich for Quality of Life.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some people just prefer different things. Enough people like the bustle to make it a desirable place. Where else are you gonna get the multiculturalism of London/New York? It’s beautiful

The more the city whores itself out to Russian oligarchs, though, the further it will fall
    Last edited by mugbull; 01-09-2019 at 10:16 AM.

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Multiculturalism definitely isn't for everyone.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    London is a bit of a farce these days; the infrastructure, good as it is, can't really cope with the sheer numbers of people. Ten years ago it was much nicer.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Giggles View Post
    Multiculturalism definitely isn't for everyone.

Well, it should be

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, it should be
    No. You were actually correct when you said that some people just prefer different things, so don't go ruining it by contradicting yourself so badly.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I lived in a little Suffolk town of 60,000 people for 30 years before moving to New York.

It's definitely one of those places (and London is probably the same) where people would say 'I couldn't possibly live there' but then thoroughly enjoy it. There's literally something for everyone. And agreed that the multiculturalism is fantastic.

I don't think I would want to bring children up here though but that's mainly just wanting a garden and more space. Unless you're seriously wealthy, NY prices preclude that.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Floyd View Post
    London is a bit of a farce these days; the infrastructure, good as it is, can't really cope with the sheer numbers of people. Ten years ago it was much nicer.
    Don't know about the 10 year stuff but I agree. It's been great the past week with the bank holiday/summer holiday combination as the sheer volume of people around has reduced.

I've been in Highbury/Angel since I've moved here and it is great though - loads of restaurants, bars, pubs, parks etc. I can imagine if you were in Soho, Camden, Oxford Street, Brixton, it can be overwhelming. But most areas aren't there.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Giggles View Post
    No. You were actually correct when you said that some people just prefer different things, so don't go ruining it by contradicting yourself so badly.
    Preference is about, I don't know, the method of transportation you use to get to work or the amount of greenery in a 100 yard radius of your front door.

You can prefer not to mix with ethnic minorities, but society would be a lot better if people like you had been in diverse classrooms from a young age. You can also prefer not to pay taxes, but you should.

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Preference is about, I don't know, the method of transportation you use to get to work or the amount of greenery in a 100 yard radius of your front door.

You can prefer not to mix with ethnic minorities, but society would be a lot better if people like you had been in diverse classrooms from a young age. You can also prefer not to pay taxes, but you should.
    No, you have to pay taxes, it's illegal not to. Mixing with other cultures isn't a similar requirement. Some people love to, some don't want to. Grand.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Floyd View Post
    Bingo.

Traffic lights every ten yards, half of which serve no purpose whatsoever but to slow everyone down. Nobody can drive in a single lane (perhaps because they've learnt that one of them will soon be blocked by road works, a taxi or maybe just a load of pedestrians deathwishing into the road). I don't know if this is normal but we were plagued by Prius drivers who seem to have started driving that very day and presumably had to consult a manual on how to pull away each and every time. We got to the venue only to be told completely unironically that the car park was closed 'because there's an event on'. Barriers had been erected around the entrance to Stratford station meaning everyone walking past it had to go in one door and out of another one literally right next to it whether they wanted to go into the station or not (there was no discernable purpose to this particular piece of insanity). There was also a West Ham match kicking out and the 40000 or so fans were being directed by people with megaphones giving out useful information such as 'For Westfield shopping centre go that way'.

Just the last place you would want to go unless you absolutely had to.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Stratford on a West Ham match day is a complete mess. Completely inadequate for events.

Prius drivers are all uber.

Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Part of that sounds like your own fault for driving in London.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Get fucked, every other method of transport is more expensive, takes longer, and is less convenient. The place would be functional with about a third less people,

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kikó View Post
    Don't know about the 10 year stuff but I agree. It's been great the past week with the bank holiday/summer holiday combination as the sheer volume of people around has reduced.

I've been in Highbury/Angel since I've moved here and it is great though - loads of restaurants, bars, pubs, parks etc. I can imagine if you were in Soho, Camden, Oxford Street, Brixton, it can be overwhelming. But most areas aren't there.
    Ten years ago it was more or less the same, but with maybe 10% fewer people (most of them non-resident) around, or at least it feels that way.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Plus one for the multiculturalism. I might move to Yemen, or the disputed bits of Nigeria.

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Disco View Post
    Get fucked, every other method of transport is more expensive, takes longer, and is less convenient. The place would be functional with about a third less people,
    Literally the opposite of correct.

What mad bastard thinks driving in London is a good idea?

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bus, tube and overground are the only ways to travel around London.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Them scooters would be ideal but unfortunately we live in a fascist state.

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’m going to go to a place that is so full of cars that they make you pay a fee just for entering it and then complain about the traffic.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are loads of scooters about still. Electric bikes are decent as well but they cost more than the bus so what's the point?

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And you'll probably die because of car wankers or pedestrians not paying attention.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kikó View Post
    There are loads of scooters about still. Electric bikes are decent as well but they cost more than the bus so what's the point?
    Because using your bollocks as a space hopper is preferable to getting the bus

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I always car it in London.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Drove into London the other day, piece of piss.

London is a great place. You just can't come at if from outside. Without wanting to be too wanky about it, you sort of have to live there. I got seconded to Bristol for a bit and found going back at weekends did my head in. You have to have the mindset for it not to be a nightmare. Also you have to stay out of the West End, obviously. I tend to only go back now with kids, and into the West End, so its appeal has faded somewhat. Definitely wouldn't want to have a family there, without even thinking about how that might work financially.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In terms of excitement and adventure it's unrivalled.

I was driving through Crouch End/Muswell Hill today and realised I'd probably be more comfortable around there as it seems to be without an obscene amount of dodgy characters roaming around. Seen a few in particular that walk like they're in the army. I reckon they're spiceheads.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The key to getting the best from London is not to attempt to use any transport whatsoever, and just walk it.

Man(c) of the People igor_balis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Move to Norwich on the 7th, and am having a big leaving do on the 28th. Pretty pleased by the effort made by my mates; have 2 coming from Norwich, one from Lincoln, 2 from London, one from Cardiff, one from Sheffield, one from Edinburgh and a bunch of people from around here. The twenty or so of us having a pub crawl will be great fun, but on the downside will temporarily make me forget why I wanted to leave in the first place (it's shit). Any TThers around the midlands fancy joining the big night? @Waffdon has already broken my heart by saying he can't come.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Norwich is such a good place to live. Proper full of greebos as well so you should be alright.

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewis View Post
    Norwich is such a good place to live. Proper full of greebos as well so you should be alright.
    Aye, I'm a big fan. Did you go UEA?

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did. I'm off there with my friend next weekend as well for a mooch about.

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well the next time you're around (after the 7th of October), gimme a message and we can have a mini TTH meet

deffo got a sofa you can crash on if required

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On current averages it will be in 2023, so yeah why not.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by igor_balis View Post
    Move to Norwich on the 7th, and am having a big leaving do on the 28th. Pretty pleased by the effort made by my mates; have 2 coming from Norwich, one from Lincoln, 2 from London, one from Cardiff, one from Sheffield, one from Edinburgh and a bunch of people from around here. The twenty or so of us having a pub crawl will be great fun, but on the downside will temporarily make me forget why I wanted to leave in the first place (it's shit). Any TThers around the midlands fancy joining the big night? @Waffdon has already broken my heart by saying he can't come.
    Where is this do?

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Norwich