User Tag List

View Poll Results: Who will receive your vote?

Voters
44. You may not vote on this poll
  • Theresa May's Conservatives

10 22.73%
  • Jeremy Corbyn's Labour

23 52.27%
  • Tim Farron's Liberal Democrats

3 6.82%
  • Paul Nuttall's UKIP

0 0%
  • 2 people's Greens

1 2.27%
  • Nicholas Durgeon's Scottish Nationalists

1 2.27%
  • Satan's Sinn Fein

0 0%
  • Dr Ian Paisley's DUP

0 0%
  • Some other bunch of nonces

2 4.55%
  • I'm foreign, but I wish I were an Englishman

4 9.09%
Page 251 of 261 FirstFirst ... 151201241249250251252253 ... LastLast
Results 12,501 to 12,550 of 13025

Thread: UK General Election 2017 - 8 June

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What's the record for ministerial resignations in the course of a parliament?

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't know but this is all a bit of an embarrassment for Rishi now. He ought to make himself the last one of this Government and call the GE.

Three gone tonight so far, including Lee Anderson who just got promoted by Sunak. Ouch.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

lmao

Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What are they mad about today exactly? I've had to tune out the ongoing idiocy for my own wellbeing.

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They are mad about THE BOATS.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, I'm never too sure what all these tory rebels are rebelling against with the Rwanda bill (there was one before wasn't there?). Does it not go far enough for these rebels or what?

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jenrick proposed an amendment to the Rwanda Bill (ffs) which Sunak doesn't support. It's to be voted on tomorrow but instead of actually rebelling (because it would effectively erase the Tory majority) those who are in favour of the amendment are resigning. Well, a few are, the rest will be put in line by the whip.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Cash amendement is about the country not having to abide by international human rights law; the Jenrick amendent is about limiting the ability of deportees to appeal. So Anderson and the other one have resigned due to feeling they had to vote against the government by supporting those.

A strange hill to die on, but if die you must.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Floyd View Post
    The Cash amendement is about the country not having to abide by international human rights law; the Jenrick amendent is about limiting the ability of deportees to appeal. So Anderson and the other one have resigned due to feeling they had to vote against the government by supporting those.

A strange hill to die on, but if die you must.
    It'd be nice if they'd all actually die.

mischamischaracterisation Dquincy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by randomlegend View Post
    It'd be nice if they'd all actually die.
    Coming from a doctor. Yikes.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All this Bill Cash amendment business, I thought he'd been chucked out of parliament. Did that not happen?

Think I might be confusing him with that Bone fossil.
    Last edited by niko_cee; 17-01-2024 at 10:03 PM.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sad times when the home secretary can't even say laissez-faire correctly.

laser far

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A lot of effort going into this Rwanda shite considering the next Government will end it immediately. Another year incoming of the country making fuck all progression.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think Labour would necessarily end it if in power. But it's a complete idiot policy just to appease people like Lewis who is scared of brown people.

The Artist Formerly Known as Taz
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No wonder everything is shit.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can we have a go at electing people that didn't go to Eton for a bit? I'm not saying it'll fix everything, but atleast it won't be so cringe worthy listening to them trying to be relatable.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I umpired a game at Eton a couple of years ago, it was an instructive experience. Rocked up and I didn't know which of the 5 or or so pristine grounds it was, all signposted in slang through ancient walls like some kind of medieval stronghold. Got to the right place and was greeted by someone I later discovered to be this guy, who had, at 10am, already cracked open a £100 bottle of cabernet sauvignon and was chugging it from a large glass on the pavilion steps. His opening conversational gambit was about how one of his old schoolmasters - guess we're talking at least 50 years earlier here - had been a 'frightful queer'. The Old Etonians team rocked up and declared that they would bat first against the Surrey combined plebs team that was visiting. I said well, actually, I think we'll have a toss to decide that. Their captain scowled off muttering something about me not understanding tradition. They did bat first and were all called things like Marcus and Francis, scored a shitload of runs because the pitch is basically designed for posh people to stroke it around while the plebs run in and bowl at them. One of the Etonians, who looked fucking awful to me, claimed to have played county cricket (I looked it up, and he hadn't). The pleb XI then chased down the total with some mouthy midget from Croydon making a hundred. If only it were so in other walks of life.

That being said, of the posh schools I've been summoned to as a hired help official I think the thicko school, Bradfield, was worse. Just an unbearable sense of entitlement.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    But just imagine the mouthy midget from Croydon at that interview instead. Woy wouldn't put up with that line of questioning.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That interview is fine. Perhaps Burley should avoid asking inane questions if serious answers are the expectation.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On the Woy front, I was struck the other day how the European Boss of Fujitsu sounded a lot like him.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yevrah View Post
    That interview is fine. Perhaps Burley should avoid asking inane questions if serious answers are the expectation.
    Burley is an odious hack, but they both know what's going on there. He's trying to pull David Cameron's common man, Aston Villa fan shit and she's had his pants down.

There's no need. We all know you're posh, you don't have to pretend otherwise. Just leave it at "I enjoy the cricket".

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, but he's only done that because she's asked him what his football team is. I agree he should have told her to shut up, but who cares if he's watched the post office drama (if he's involved with sorting that mess out I'd rather he was looking at the actual evidence than Will Mellor) or what box sets he watches.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    People like Burley (Piers Morgan, Ed Balls, etc.) Just watched too much Paxman while they honed their trade, but they lack his skill in finding the right question to dig in on, so we end up with this.

Still, atleast he isn't being schmoosed by Peston.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...l-voters-world

Enjoyed this article, think everyone needs to start subverting their expectations a little.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well here’s why the whole Rwanda thing has been so prevalent.

Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It’s almost like there’s been an organised push to make idiots believe that instead of concentrating on the absolute shithole this country has become because of the people pushing said ideas.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They could be anywhere but we can't track 'em. Schrödinger's immigrants. <shakes fist>

Although the media loves to publicise an upturned boat in the channel more than Mr. Al Said passing his citizenship.
    Last edited by Shindig; 19-01-2024 at 07:10 PM.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    https://twitter.com/10DowningStreet/...81224894722118

Ignoring the puerile absurdity of a government doing official comms like this, here are my top three guesses:

1) something about sending the browns to Rwanda
    2) something about subsidising housing demand
    3) something about a tax cut for the ancient and decrepit

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Immediate general election.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are a number of things I want from government, but excitement is rarely one of them.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben View Post
    Immediate general election.
    It never fucking is with all his shitty press conferences.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    https://twitter.com/10DowningStreet/...81224894722118

Ignoring the puerile absurdity of a government doing official comms like this, here are my top three guesses:

1) something about sending the browns to Rwanda
    2) something about subsidising housing demand
    3) something about a tax cut for the ancient and decrepit
    4) you can get updates on Whatsapp

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    5)but you can't recover deleted messages, sadly.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can't wait for them to start Whatsapping me about points 1, 2 and 3.

Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "Group Text With The Government" is an excellent name for a Spoken Word LP by some spotty Oxford Grad.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-68077142

Whilst I agree with Sir Simon, seriously who gave him that Truss or the trolley, is there an alternative reality where the Conservatives aren't largely wiped out at the next election? Does he want Boris back? Prime Minister Lord Cameron is going to have to replace my long held hope for the Jeremy Cunt premiership lolz. The most likely scenario I can think of would be if Keir Starmer jumped ship and became their leader, which also wouldn't work as nobody actually likes him, so, yeah. Tony Blair?

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That Truss lot creep me out. I never believed all the paranoid stuff about the Russians having engineered Brexit, but I'm pretty certain that Vlad must be running some kind of asset in Team Truss.

Completely delusional about what motivates voters to the point that you wonder if they are not just pushing some other agenda.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think there's a better than evens chance that they're mostly just actual morons. Extremely self-serving morons, natch, but morons nonetheless.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That and / or they're just completely out of ideas. They know the ship is going down and they can't bail quick enough to stop it, so they're looking for magic beans waterpumps down the back of the sofa.

They just need to call an election / it a day. Hanging on to power is only making them look worse.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To answer your original question, the only hope they would hypothetically have would be if a Boris Johnson figure, but without the baggage and unpopularity of the actual Boris Johnson, were to swoop in and take the helm. So none at all.

I'm currently torn on whether they are going to go down to ~150, or sub 100 seats. Probably the former, but the latter is in play.

Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can't wait to see the back of these absolute incompetents. If we were still a real country they'd be rounded up and we'd flog them in the streets and throw rotten vegetables at them for a week after the election.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To answer your original question, the only hope they would hypothetically have would be if a Boris Johnson figure, but without the baggage and unpopularity of the actual Boris Johnson, were to swoop in and take the helm. So none at all.

I'm currently torn on whether they are going to go down to ~150, or sub 100 seats. Probably the former, but the latter is in play.
    They should just put Simon Whistler in front of the Camera and have Deadly Dom tell him what to say.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If they hang on to about 150 seats those seats will be predominantly occupied by the sort of Cameron-era twats who will interpret their hammering as the electorate punishing them for being 'too right wing', which will prevent any actual right wing Conservative Party emerging from the wreckage. With that in mind, the best result is the fewest seats possible and the brand tarnished forever.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewis View Post
    If they hang on to about 150 seats those seats will be predominantly occupied by the sort of Cameron-era twats who will interpret their hammering as the electorate punishing them for being 'too right wing', which will prevent any actual right wing Conservative Party emerging from the wreckage. With that in mind, the best result is the fewest seats possible and the brand tarnished forever.
    That circles us back to the conversation the other day about this country never going extreme and always electing either left or right centrists. If the Conservatives pivoted further right, they'd be out for the long term.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you want a 'proper right wing' Conservative party in power then you either need to shift the population decisively in that direction - sabotage from inside the NHS, or allowing Russia to bomb coastal towns, would be the sort of thing required - or bypass them by abandoning democracy. It's not happening otherwise. Same for a 'proper left wing' Labour party.

You can have one out of power, mind, if that makes you feel good.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben View Post
    That circles us back to the conversation the other day about this country never going extreme and always electing either left or right centrists. If the Conservatives pivoted further right, they'd be out for the long term.
    When you say 'further right', does this mean you think that the highest tax/spending burden ever and record immigration are normal right wing things that a normal right wing party would over-see? I don't think most people do, which is what makes me think there is scope for a more right wing - not necessarily small state right wing - Conservative Party.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewis View Post
    When you say 'further right', does this mean you think that the highest tax/spending burden ever and record immigration are normal right wing things that a normal right wing party would over-see? I don't think most people do, which is what makes me think there is scope for a more right wing - not necessarily small state right wing - Conservative Party.
    The stuff coming out of their mouths is right wing. It’s just their rank incompetence that stops them getting stuff done.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you think that they really want to reduce immigration but somehow haven't been able to figure out how? Or - alternatively - do you think that they actually don't?

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If they could reduce immigration and have concrete figures to back it up the tory PM would be god emperor and free to do whatever they wanted, so I suspect it's just there isn't a mandate to implement your suggested measures.