User Tag List

Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 LastLast

Thread: The New Years diet fred (No Tims allowed)

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CJay View Post
    Just because you are calorie counting doesn’t mean you’re eating a healthy diet.
    No one claimed that!

Just because there are 100 calories in meal 1 doesn’t mean your body has consumed 100 calories from that meal.
    Sure, yeah, but your body isn't magicking up an extra 200 calories from that 100 calories you consumed.

Let's look at your advice above:
    Make your own own food
    DonÂ’t eat stuff out of individual packets
    Eat vegetables, lots of them
    Extra virgin olive oil
    Exercise
    All good advice, sure but you could easily go over your calorie limit for a day making your own fresh food, not from packets with a lot of vegetables especially if you're chucking a load of olive oil on there. Especially if you're a short arse like me. Now, 3,000 calories of fresh home-cooked meat, veg, carbs and fats are gonna be a lot better for you than 3,000 calories a day of McDonald's but you're still gonna gain weight if you're only burning off 2,500 calories a day.

Also, humans are weak and we're constantly bombarded with advertising for foods that are engineered to be tasty. We're going to give in sometimes. It's good to know "oh, theres 200 calories in this chocolate bar, I can fit that into my allowance for the day" or whatever. Are you telling me Tim Spector never has a fucking biscuit?

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He makes his own olive oil and courgette biscuits.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dun Dun Dun Dun Dun Tim Spector Gadget.

ram it up your shitpipe Giggles's Avatar
    Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just because you are calorie counting doesn’t mean you’re eating a healthy diet.

A calorie isn’t just a calorie - intake and BMR will vary wildly from person to person and from food type to food type. Genetics also play a big role. Just because there are 100 calories in meal 1 doesn’t mean your body has consumed 100 calories from that meal. It’s an inherently flawed idea. It works to a point because it’s restrictive in nature, but long term I bet people aren’t keeping the weight off. Hence why this thread is at page 14.

Hit me up with some studies, RL.
    I didn't keep mine off because I had a couple of unrelated health scares when I was at my fittest, so realised I was just wasting my time being miserable eating leaves and exercising. The big man could come any day for any of us.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I thought intermittent fasting was how Multi used to do it, i.e. only eating during a very narrow window - say an hour directly after working out - like a wild animal might. An eight hour window isn't any sort of anything bearing in mind you're asleep for half of the remaining hours, and then presumably busy during the others.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After all this I stepped on the scales this morning and I really need to drop about a stone before our holiday in October. Taz, come fatshame me for motivation.

Starting with an impromptu 24hr fast. Had dinner last night at 7, not eating again until the same time tonight. We move.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You think The Rock will buy Southend when he discovers their devoted fans are a load of wobblers? Get it sorted mate, you don't want to be the one who stops the dream coming true.

The Artist Formerly Known as Taz
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not eating for 24 hours is a great start, usually step 1 for most of these cunts is not eating every 2 hours for which they demand a medal for their bravery.

Are you calorie counting? I hear measuring your intake of food by a definite magnitude of a quantity and restricting said magnitude prevents weight-gain. It's pretty high level stuff though so I'll wait for Giggles to confirm the science and list the key exempting factors (age, hairs on knuckles, lunar cycle etc).

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll be doing 20:4 after today, probably 2 meals within the 4 hours. I should be back to a healthy weight in 2 or 3 weeks.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you eat them upside down.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    2 meals in 4 hours?

Someone get that bravery medal ready.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Huberman has done a IF deep dive. Will consume this weekend.

Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had a share bag of Haribo twin snakes and two sausage rolls for my dinner.
    I'm a twit

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm back on MFP and looking to drop 10kg before August 15th. The motivation levels are high and everything is aligning after a rough first half of the year, so it's go time.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How was the long walk?

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Strained ACL prevented training so had to shelf that idea. I forgot its tomorrow, actually, so if I wake up at 2am, as I have been recently, I might give it a bash.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ah, thought it was last weekend as that's when it was here. 2am, christ, is that when it gets going? Almost worth just going straight from the pub.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Starts at 3, yeah. All because one person usually finishes at midnight.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Baz View Post
    I had a share bag of Haribo twin snakes and two sausage rolls for my dinner.
    Twin snakes are so good. As are the sour sharks.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anyone doing IF, what are you eating for your first meal of the day?

I used to eat a bowl of nutty muesli with loads of fruit but changed to vegetable scrambled eggs and the protein heavy seems to work best for me. I am now a little bored of the same thing day after day so want to try something new for a bit to change it up.

Any suggestions?

The Artist Formerly Known as Taz
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yoghurt with fruit/nuts/seeds in summer, porridge in winter. You have enough room to customise with different toppings to not get bored. Nothing wrong with eggs and other cooked stuff if prepped properly I'm sure but they're not at the level of the former.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am trying to stay under 2000 calories a day, doing some basic weight training in addition to walking the dog three times a day but weight loss is more important than muscle gain for now so I think deficit is the best way to go, happy to be advised otherwise.

My main advantage with this is I am a monotonous slave to routine, pre covid it used to be a joke in the office that you could set your watch by my actions, time I had lunch etc. I also don't mind eating the same or similar meals every day.

So far today had porridge with blueberries, apple and honey (and a pinch of cinammon) for breakfast and seasoned chicken breast with rice, broccolli and carrots for lunch. Apple chaser, 946 calories for the day so far and only one meal remaining.

Main challenge this week is I have to go into the office for a meeting on Thursday for the first time in ages, but there should be no reason I can't take my usual lunch. I just have to resist temptation whilst there (office tuck shop and canteen on site).

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sub 2000 at your height? You’ll look like a bookies pen in no time.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have been doing One Meal A Day since Thursday and it really is piss easy. I'm already half a stone down. Might keep it going and see if I can bring some abs to the gun show.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Alright for a runt like you, I get hungry I want to murder people.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You work on the trains, you have access to plenty of homeless people. Do what you gotta do.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm hammering exercise so struggling to keep calories down, but I'm at least 1k cal in defecit each day. Three hours cycling today and a swim plus a little trek on the cliff paths coming up after this post. I utilised flexi time nicely today and will to continue outside of Bay Capital annual general meeting days. Cycle and swim on lunch.

I'm hoping I can start to starve myself in a week once my body realises carbs are old news.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    MFP and Google Fit both seem utterly mental in their calorie loss calculations. I'm enjoying the idea of being in 3k calorie defecit but I'm not having it. Guess the scales will reveal all.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nutracheck is superior to MFP for food-logging, I've found. It's 20 quid or so for a year's subscription but most of MFP's good stuff (barcode scanner) is behind a paywall now anyway.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Barcode scanner ain't behind a pay wall for me. The food logging is fine anyway. It's the 600 cal/h for cycling and hiking I'm not having.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's Nutracheck I've been using but I haven't been logging my exercise, I didn't know how accurate any of that stuff is and didn't want to start using exercise as an excuse to eat more while I'm still porky.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Calorie burn estimates for exercise are usually a load of bollocks. I wouldn't trust them at all.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah just log the food intake ignore any burnt calories. They give people false hope. Remember those posters used to say you had to do 40 minutes spinning to burn off a sausage roll? Now these apps are bullshitting people they can walk off a mars bar in 15 minutes.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Definitely don't take any notice of "calories burnt" on those apps. Pick what you think is right (eg. 500 calorie deficit per day equals one pound weight loss per week) then adjust accordingly from there.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not relying on it by any means but it still helps me keep things in check. I aim for double what my MFP goal is as it won't go higher than 1kg, but it's also nice to see a 3k defecit and know you'll be alright.

First day back in the gym this morning too. Just did a few gentle all round workout to ease any DOMS in but thank fuck I've got an 80kg tyre back in my life. Nearly chucked up after two minutes.

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The fitness app on the iPhone is bad for being overzealous with kcals burned. It has me burning 900-1200 a day just walking 12-15000 steps whereas others are half that

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah walking on a Fitbit versa 2 for an hour consistently thinks I'm burning 500 calories which is the equivalent of me doing hiit. I don't think so.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Got a GP exercise referral the other day after requesting it.

Went to the gym today and I've got a consultation next week then will be paying £28 a month (their cheapest packages are usually £33) and I believe I get a trainer/fitness programme to help me out.

Weight loss seems to have stagnated the last few days and I seem to be locked at 15kg loss so the exercise regime will help a lot.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A few days is nothing, don’t worry. You can afford to give it a couple of weeks before thinking you need to change up. Weight loss isn’t linear.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So I had my induction at the gym.

My exercise co-ordinator (I think that's her role) seems quite nice. She asked a lot of questions about why I want to be in the gym etc etc. I will have a plan drawn up by her (she mentioned cardio, strength and then finishing with cardio when I workout) and then in 6 weeks we will meet up again and review how I've fared.

I also went on a machine that told me I am 79.2KG of MUSCLE (fuck you Randrew, I'll get more hench then you) but my body fat % is at 43.8 which obviously isn't great.

I'm not allowed to use the actual gym equipment until next week when I have a second induction but I am able to use the pool.

Also, I've managed to knock off another 2KG which takes me to 17 in total.

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not allowed to use the equipment? Lol wot. You’re an adult ffs

Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well done Mahow. Big step, that.
    I'm a twit

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cardio strength cardio is shit advice.

It's probably worth doing an all body workout with some supersets in there. You can always mix up a heavyish lift with a quick blast of cardio (15 calories on a bike/rower/ski) and get good results without being bored by a cardio only exercise.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Waffdon View Post
    Not allowed to use the equipment? Lol wot. You’re an adult ffs
    Apparently I need to be shown how to use it.

Didn't stop them taking payment today though, obviously.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "We can't have you going off on your own. What if you hurt yourself?"

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Andy Mahowry View Post

I'm not allowed to use the actual gym equipment until next week when I have a second induction but I am able to use the pool.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Andy Mahowry View Post
    Apparently I need to be shown how to use it.

Didn't stop them taking payment today though, obviously.
    wut.

The PT package they're going to bankrupt you with is going to be glorious.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gyms always pull that shit. I am on day three of progressive overload tomorrow, the main one I struggle to get sets out with is the Arnold Press. Also going on the piss tomorrow afternoon which will erase any muscle growth. Hoping I can hit my target of another 1lb lost when I wake up tomorrow. Been in a rut where I keep lossing and gaining the same half a stone so want to breakthrough.

Wife has procured a DDPY set of videos etc so might give that a go too, pretend it's the heyday of RAW

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So the marathon training is going well. But, it’s made me realise I probably need to start eating better if I’m training. The past few weeks I’ve been eating any old shit I want and still losing weight but as I’m doing longer runs more often now I’m finding the my energy levels can be very up and down which is an issue.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did 1km in the pool today.

Hardest swim I've done as I haven't swam in years and haven't done that much in about a decade.

Arms are dead.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Had my induction yesterday and we went through my routine albeit truncated just to show me how things work and if I need to adjust shit.

Just finished my first full session and I'm partially dead. I've produced so much swea.