Page 84 of 85 FirstFirst ... 347482838485 LastLast
Results 4,151 to 4,200 of 4242

Thread: The Travel Thread

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by -james- View Post
    Lol at the latest Ryanair grift. The overhead lockers are apparently only for people who have booked priority, everyone else's bags has to go under the seat in front. Good luck trying to enforce that.

Also managed to get a perforated ear drum on the flight so fuck them.
    They’re normally sound but they delayed my flight this morning for 3 hours trying to find staff. Cocks

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looking at their baggage rules, I think anyone who paid for a cabin bag gets priority by default?

Priority & 2 Cabin Bags: This allows you to carry a small personal bag (40x20x25cm), which must fit under the seat in front of you and a 10kg bag (55x40x20cm) onboard, to be stored in the overhead locker. It also allows you to board the plane first using the Priority Boarding queue at the gate.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yup, they've grouped the two for years.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah they try and force it on you so your £40 fare is in reality £70. I visited my parents with just a small rucksack and had to lol at now apparently not being allowed to use the overhead bins.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is it formally not allowed, or is it just those are for all the dickheads with the wheel on luggage as a practicality policy? Don't think I've been on Ryanair for almost a decade now.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by -james- View Post
    Yeah they try and force it on you so your £40 fare is in reality £70. I visited my parents with just a small rucksack and had to lol at now apparently not being allowed to use the overhead bins.

I know this is completely irrelevant to the point you're making, but thinking about how much value is provided in that £40 (or £70) is really hard to fathom. The engineering, infrastructure, fuel, safety, service, taxes, profit etc. that goes into putting people into flying steel tubes to shuttle them around the world. All for the same money (or less) as a fancy restaurant meal or a seat at a sports game.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, low cost flying is basically an economic miracle and Michael O'Leary is unironically one of the greatest agents of human happiness this century.

Enjoy it while it lasts.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yup. I'll take almost any level of discomfort, grief and shithousery to keep flying just about anywhere within a three hour radius for less than £100. It's insane.

Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The ultimate irony being that one of the reasons they can offer cheap flights is that they're running old Boeings which are far more safe than the new lot.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ryanair placed, I think, the world's biggest order (at the time) for 737 Max 8 aircraft during the period that aircraft was grounded – that's the Lion Air / Ethiopian Airlines crash one. They managed to get it under the radar by referring it to the 737-8000 or something like that. And they've ordered more since. I don't know if they have any 737 Max 9s (the Alaskan Airlines door blowout one). I think Tui has a few, and one of the Scandi carriers (Finnair or Icelandair).

Ryanair's fleet compared to a lot of others is relatively modern. Also, there is absolutely no chance the 737 Max will be killed off by all these incidents. The order book is still for thousands of them, and the issues will always get fixed. Modern aviation is absolutely reliant on there being competition between Airbus and Boeing.

EDIT: They called it the 737-8200. And they ordered 210 in total, a first order of 135 and another for 75 in Dec 2020. So both orders during the grounding.
    Last edited by Clunge; 27-01-2024 at 10:55 AM.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Floyd View Post
    Yeah, low cost flying is basically an economic miracle and Michael O'Leary is unironically one of the greatest agents of human happiness this century.

Enjoy it while it lasts.
    Absolutely. I don't use them often, but I flew to Ireland 10 years ago for the price of a Boots Meal Deal. I have no idea how they manage it, but I'll gladly suffer whatever indignity is required to make it happen

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Clunge View Post
    Yup. I'll take almost any level of discomfort, grief and shithousery to keep flying just about anywhere within a three hour radius for less than £100. It's insane.
    I really did fuck up being with a school teacher. Barely get any use out of the cheap flights anymore. I was £14 and £25 for both my flights to London this weekend at 2 weeks notice. Spent nearly £30 in a taxi going 3.5 miles last night

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I will never understand how black cabs stay in business. Not only are they about double the price they should be, but you can pretty much do any journey across London by bus, tube, foot or a combination in less than an hour.

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was pretty pissed and got on wrong tube to go back to hotel and couldn’t be arsed trying to rectify the mistake.

Stansted to Victoria was ridiculously easy though and was much less of a ballache then I thought it would be compared to Heathrow. Definitely just book there in future unless Heathrow have dirt cheap flights

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wouldn't call that easy but then I'm not used to ScotRail, jesus what a disaster that is.

mischamischaracterisation Dquincy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by phonics View Post
    The ultimate irony being that one of the reasons they can offer cheap flights is that they're running old Boeings which are far more safe than the new lot.
    Quote Originally Posted by Clunge View Post
    Ryanair placed, I think, the world's biggest order (at the time) for 737 Max 8 aircraft during the period that aircraft was grounded – that's the Lion Air / Ethiopian Airlines crash one. They managed to get it under the radar by referring it to the 737-8000 or something like that. And they've ordered more since. I don't know if they have any 737 Max 9s (the Alaskan Airlines door blowout one). I think Tui has a few, and one of the Scandi carriers (Finnair or Icelandair).

Ryanair's fleet compared to a lot of others is relatively modern. Also, there is absolutely no chance the 737 Max will be killed off by all these incidents. The order book is still for thousands of them, and the issues will always get fixed. Modern aviation is absolutely reliant on there being competition between Airbus and Boeing.

EDIT: They called it the 737-8200. And they ordered 210 in total, a first order of 135 and another for 75 in Dec 2020. So both orders during the grounding.

Man(c) of the People igor_balis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I will never understand how black cabs stay in business. Not only are they about double the price they should be, but you can pretty much do any journey across London by bus, tube, foot or a combination in less than an hour.
    I kinda love black cabs as an institution, despite (or perhaps partly because of) them really not making much sense on a logical/economic level. There's a young black cab lad who runs an excellent YouTube channel where he just does videos of his shifts, explains his routes, talks about the economics/admin/history of it all. It's really interesting, and it is genuinely fucking impressive what they can all do, yet it does still seem a bit pointless. He's done a couple of videos along the lines of "why still get black cabs" or "why are we worth using instead of Ubers" and it basically just boils down to "well we'll usually be a bit quicker because we know little short cuts and more aware of typical traffic rates/road closures that Google maps/sat navs don't really manage " and "well if you have a few of you it's basically as cheap as getting a train ticket each, and a much nicer journey ".

On the first point, yeah I spose. The second point is absolutely true though, and is with taxis generally. Big advocate of sharing taxis over multiple people getting tickets for stuff. Did my fucking head in when we did the fringe a few years back, and would constantly be late to the first show of the day cus my spazzy mates insisted on the 1 hour unreliable bus for £3 each or some shit, Vs all putting in practically the same amount into a taxi. Wankers.

The Artist Formerly Known as Taz
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, I follow a black cabbie who puts out a lot of videos too.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I watched one where he explained the whole queueing system at Heathrow. Really interesting shit but he sat around for like five hours to get one job into the city. There is literally hundreds of cabs in this queue all to make, what, £50 tops?

Man(c) of the People igor_balis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben View Post
    I watched one where he explained the whole queueing system at Heathrow. Really interesting shit but he sat around for like five hours to get one job into the city. There is literally hundreds of cabs in this queue all to make, what, £50 tops?
    Yeah I did think that. Plus when he breaks down the costs, hours, and general lifestyle it sounds pretty rubbish to be honest. Sounds quite patronising, but sometimes when he goes on about the "freedom" and other advantages of the job, I kinda think it's probs more a reflection of a lack of stuff to compare to. IIRC his only other job was working in topman or some shit. Still, good luck to him or whatever.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anyone done Legoland Windsor? We're in London (Brentford) for a wedding at the start of April, and I'm considering doing it on our free day. Seems like there's a decent enough route out via Elizabeth Line, but we have to be back in the Ealing area for 5ish, so I'm wondering if 11-4 or thereabouts is enough time to make it worthwhile.

Any other advice on navigating London with a 4yo and a 6yo very welcome. Or better options for a fun day out than trekking out to Windsor.

Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can't go wrong with the Natural History Museum.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    11-4 is plenty for Legoland. It's great for those ages, but it's not an American style theme park spreading out over 5 million acres.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My 2 were underwhelmed by Lego Land. I'd go to Chessington or Thorpe Park instead.

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Those hours would be fine, just be wary of the traffic down to Legoland as you'll need a bus from the station. Sounds like you're there during Easter holidays so it could be particularly busy.

Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I always wanted to go to Legoland because I liked the idea of that driving license bit. Then I saw video of it years later and it looked total shit.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spikey M View Post
    My 2 were underwhelmed by Lego Land. I'd go to Chessington or Thorpe Park instead.
    We're near Ewell for another wedding () in September, so Chessington sounds ideal for that trip. Thanks for the tip.

This has also lead me to discover there is such a place as Nonsuch Park. Lovely.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Legoland is alright but you want to get there when it opens as otherwise it can be pain to get to and they day just goes. Those q-bot things they do [and you pay for] are well worth it imo, particularly if it is likely to be busy when you go.

I've also only ever been when you got cheap tickets from the newspaper or train, so not sure if it's value for money at the full sticker price, whatever that is now.

Went to the museums in Greenwich Park recently, although not great for Brentford-way. The maritime one was decent but the Royal Observatory has gone to shit since I was last there in the 90s, there's nothing in it. Kind of explains why an annual membership is basically the same price as a family entry. They know you're not coming back.

Science museum is alright, but I didn't like the entry system when I went where they basically guilt you into donating. Just charge a ticket price if that's what you plan to do. You can bypass that at the Natural History Museum by pre-booking admission, maybe that's available at the science museum as well now.

I think a daytrip to legoland when you need to be back in London/Ealing for 5ish sounds a bit like a recipe for disaster.

How about the zoo? Zoo's are great.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thommo View Post
    Those hours would be fine, just be wary of the traffic down to Legoland as you'll need a bus from the station. Sounds like you're there during Easter holidays so it could be particularly busy.
    Yeah, I think we're stuck with busy places regardless due to the holidays so will have to suck it up unfortunately.

Thanks for the advice gents.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If London Zoo was where Legoland is, and vice versa, they would both be far better attractions.

Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think I've ever been to a zoo.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't even know how that's possible? Getting dragged round one once a year as a kid was basically law when we were kids.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I haven't been to one for years. Have they gone all woke now with plans to return the captured animals to the wild etc? Sustainably caught tigers.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Most of them have just followed the trend of trying to bankrupt their customers by hiking their prices to ridiculous levels. £33 a ticket these days. Piss taking bastards.

And that's before they try to sell you a subpar burger and chips for £20.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I took my mother to Windsor Castle last week, and, whilst the castle is well worth a visit, I was surprised how crap Windsor is. I expected a posh little cathedral city-type of place, when in actual fact it's like somebody dropped St. Paul's Cathedral in Nuneaton.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I haven't been to one for years. Have they gone all woke now with plans to return the captured animals to the wild etc? Sustainably caught tigers.
    Jersey Zoo did this. Rebranded itself "Durrell" and had all the animals in enclosures where they were entirely invisible. They seem to have gone away from that now though and have let all the tamarinds and little marmoset monkey things run loose which is quite cool.

I went to Whipsnade Zoo quite recently which was ok, but seems to be some sort of Amazon fulfillment centre for other zoos, chiefly London Zoo or ZSL as I think it likes to refer to itself. Has a car route around it as well which was a bit .
    Last edited by niko_cee; 13-03-2024 at 05:13 PM.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can't remember the last time I went to a zoo but I have been to Woburn "SAFARI PARK" a lot and I love it.

Nothing like having a pride of lions run towards your car or having monkeys finger their arseholes on your windscreen.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't the little fuckers just strip your car of all seals and other rubber parts?

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by niko_cee View Post
    Don't the little fuckers just strip your car of all seals and other rubber parts?
    Last few times I went in a 9 seater. They usually just sit on the front taking out red berries which have collected in the cracks around the bonnet.

Although one time they were lounging on the roof and took some rubber parts from up there. I think they're just plugs for the holes for a roof rack.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I went to Lincoln Park Zoo last year and it took a surprising amount of time to find any animal. First thing I saw was a depressed Polar Bear pacing back and forth.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I went to London Zoo I saw an African woman give her kid the hardest slap I've ever seen. He was mewling and pulling her jumper, and she turned round and belted him across his chops in a single movement. I was almost as astonished as he was.

The Artist Formerly Known as Taz
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    https://www.jet2holidays.com/search/...order=1&page=1

That first deal (was apparently only £150 last night too). You're basically gonna come back well in profit over your day-to-day living expenses in UK. They should advertise it to the boat folk.

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cheaper than one of RL’s tasting menus. (Not including alcohol)

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gonna be rife this summer with Jet2, Tui and easyJet holidays kicking the shit out of each other. There's record package capacity in the market this year. Could be some insane deals.

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did wonder why my holiday last year was so expensive compared to this year. Can get 14 days AI at 5* resorts in Mexico for less than £2000pp in July. No idea if you’re meant to go this time of the year or not.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "The Atlantic hurricane season runs from June 1st through November 30th."

Mexico's hurricane season is from May through November, with most storms developing between July and October. Hurricanes and tropical storms can cause life-threatening flash floods, dangerous winds, treacherous surf and rip currents, and other hazardous conditions.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just another day in Dundee.

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Touché.

I looked at Cape Verde but it just looks a bit, well, boring.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Windy as fuck too.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The American Holocaust Museum was pretty sobering. Very effective when the yanks shut their traps for a few minutes and the whole room falls silent.