User Tag List

Page 70 of 581 FirstFirst ... 2060686970717280120170570 ... LastLast
Results 3,451 to 3,500 of 29008

Thread: Coronavirus Death Thread

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    An 18 year old (with unspecified underlying health conditions) is among the UK dead today.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's a couple of African registrars at work who I've been on with most of the last week or so. They've both treated ebola cases so (rightly or wrongly) they are just not remotely scared of treating this (still following guidance and everything).

It's been good for me I think, kept me out my own head.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are you expecting to be on the front line of this at some stage RL?

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Assuming the data are correct, France seem to have halted the exponential part of the equation the last few days:

Thursday: 1861 new cases
    Friday: 1617 new cases
    Saturday: 1847 new cases
    Sunday: 1559 new cases

It's a very small sample of course.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know.

I'm on the front line in paeds a lot of the time, but the kids aren't getting very sick with it (thank fucking Christ). We've had no confirmed cases in paeds so far (although we aren't testing many as very few of the suspected ones have been unwell enough to warrant admission). We will start getting confirmed cases soon though so I'm going to be exposed to it, and frankly it's pretty likely I've already seen a kid with it who just wasn't tested.

What I'm dreading is if adult front line services get over-run and we get pulled off paeds to help. I think we're about as protected as we can get as trainees in paeds because it's such a precious service so we'd probably be about last to be moved, but it could still happen. I fully accept that's a selfish attitude, and if I'm called I'll obviously go, but if I'm not I can't pretend I won't be incredibly relieved.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Had an email and text from my boss, he has asked for us to let him know if we need to isolate and supports it fully and asked for our availability next week. He says he is going to keep the number of staff as limited as he can, if you’re in, it’s to work with children and not to do other less important tasks.
    We were meant to all go in tomorrow and have a meeting where he’s sort out a rota, but it seems he’s doing that at home today and let us know later, so only the people who need to be are in tomorrow.

A surprisingly sensible way of doing it.
    My boss doesn't take his work home with him. Which is admirable to an extent, but not always practical and at the moment not very helpful. All we've had so far is a message on the notice board saying 'all staff in next week'. I'm hoping that just means Monday and we take it from there. I've a feeling we're going to have a meeting at 8.30 with all 20 or so staff members crammed inside our staff room.

My girlfriend's school on the other hand have been in contact over the weekend a few times. They're having a meeting in the hall to allow for social distancing, and then the staff will be on a rota after tomorrow.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't blame anyone for thinking similar RL.

Those numbers on their own don't mean much Adra.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Floyd View Post
    America will be worse than anywhere in Europe because they're full of various types of crazy and also the social contract is extremely weak bordering on non-existent. All that fluff in the consitution isn't going to be very useful now.
    Conversely, America will benefit from the level of social isolation which already exists in the country. On a weekend night when you're all in the Manchester pub infecting each other, we're in front of our TVs watching the NFL or Family Guy. Salt Lake City, where I am now, is the ideal place to isolate because we only ever travel by car anyways.

What will actually hurt America is the complete phobia of government intervention on the parts of about half the country. I think you're going to end up seeing some pretty big differences in numbers between states with Democratic governments and Republican ones. Florida for instance is absolutely fucked, sorry bruh.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yevrah View Post
    Indeed. We simply can't do that in the West, we just don't work that way.

And if we don't want it and/or can't do it, then we need to accept that we're going to lose a lot of people.

If we're entering an age of global pandemics due to over population, shitty practices and ludicrously good transport links then it makes you question whether the West have got it right after all. Not saying I'd want to be in China, but somewhere like Japan or South Korea looks immediately more attractive than they once did. Sure they've had to do some wank things too though.
    I'm curious, though - governmentally speaking, laying aside national stereotypes for a second, what are the practical differences between a Japan or South Korea and a Great Britain? Are they really that different?

Is it just that they have the stomach to actually enforce their actions?

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spoonsky View Post
    I'm curious, though - governmentally speaking, laying aside national stereotypes for a second, what are the practical differences between a Japan or South Korea and a Great Britain? Are they really that different?

Lol. Japan and South Korea have almost military cultures. You listen to those above you (be it age or rank) and do what you're fucking told. In Britain.... we don't. Pretty much the opposite. A Priminister hasn't been respected widely since World War II.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I get that - what I was asking about are the actual differences in government.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I get that - what I was asking about are the actual differences in government.
    Hard leadership vs Soft leadership. Even our Police govern by consent here.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's cultural rather than political. In Japan/Korea EVERYTHING depends on how old you are. There's a different form of address to someone 1 year older than you than to someone 1 year younger than you (everyone is herded into year groups so all birthdays are 1 January).

Not doing as you're told by an elder (whether that be family, a public official or a work boss) is a serious faux pas at the best of times, let alone now. As such they don't even need to instil different political norms for this because the cultural basis is already there.

Here and in all western liberal cultures I'm aware of, it's every man for himself and you can't change that with elderly death statistics.

Mentioned
    199 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As much as I never really enjoy our Sunday trip to my in-laws, I was a bit disappointed that #socialdistancing meant we couldn’t go round today and witness this goatse card displayed on the fireplace with pride.
    I'm a twit

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by randomlegend View Post
    I don't know.

I'm on the front line in paeds a lot of the time, but the kids aren't getting very sick with it (thank fucking Christ). We've had no confirmed cases in paeds so far (although we aren't testing many as very few of the suspected ones have been unwell enough to warrant admission). We will start getting confirmed cases soon though so I'm going to be exposed to it, and frankly it's pretty likely I've already seen a kid with it who just wasn't tested.

What I'm dreading is if adult front line services get over-run and we get pulled off paeds to help. I think we're about as protected as we can get as trainees in paeds because it's such a precious service so we'd probably be about last to be moved, but it could still happen. I fully accept that's a selfish attitude, and if I'm called I'll obviously go, but if I'm not I can't pretend I won't be incredibly relieved.
    As non-clinical staff we’ve been asked to volunteer to talk to and feed patients (after training). On non-Covid wards, that is.

I haven’t filled the form in and to be honest I’m extremely reluctant to do anything that I perceive increases my own risk of getting it. I’m not keen really on being in the building at all. Which I appreciate is cowardly given that there are plenty who aren’t going to have any choice in the matter, but there you go.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Idk if I'm a bit in denial in order to cope, but I'm not particularly scared of catching it myself. I've accepted I almost certainly will at some point. I am of an age and health status which means I'm extremely likely to be fine if I do get it and I can't do anything more to avoid it anyway so no point worrying.

Desperately trying to keep people on ventilators alive as the service is overwhelmed and starts to crumble is what I'm afraid of. I'd avoid saying these sorts of things in normal circumstances, but unless you've been there you really don't understand what it's like being a junior doctor in a situation you don't know how to cope with when there's nobody senior to take responsibility from you. It's terrifying.
    Last edited by randomlegend; 22-03-2020 at 07:43 PM.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Has there been any advice given to patients to prevent them winding up on a ventilator? Like breathing techniques to keep their oxygen levels up, etc?

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In all honesty I’d not much fancy being the consultant either. It’s a terrifying thought.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Yevrah: Yeah, I know I am grasping at straws, but I have to do something to spend my time.

So, I moved to Paris less than 2 weeks ago, I had my wallet stolen (thankfully I have my passport and my father has access to my greek account so was able to wire some money). I have opened a French bank account but I haven't gotten the card yet, so basically I am stranded here with a set amount of cash and I genuinely have no idea when/how I will be able to get the card. I don't even have my online banking credentials yet.

I am working from home (my job could be done from home exclusively anyway), but I haven't met any of my colleagues and I have basically only ever talked to my supervisor, and that's through Skype. I am staying at an Airbnb until April 7th. The plan was to look for a permanent place by that time, but with the current situation that's no longer possible so I'll have to look for another Airbnb.

To top all that off, I speak no French whatsoever, so if something happens to me, things will get weird.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    In all honesty I’d not much fancy being the consultant either. It’s a terrifying thought.
    Of course, just giving my perspective as a junior. The fear of someone dying who could have been saved because you didn't know what to do is awful.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by randomlegend View Post
    Of course, just giving my perspective as a junior. The fear of someone dying who could have been saved because you didn't know what to do is awful.
    Aye, I wasn’t meaning to diminish the point. I know a few respiratory consultants and the lack of (outward) panic is beyond me. I’m anxious about the whole thing and won’t be near a sick patient. Fuck knows how you mentally deal with knowing what’s about to hit.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Byron View Post
    Yep. In a years time the US will be the story, we're talking tens of thousands dead minimum.
    Here's a sentence I never thought I'd say: They're lucky Trump is President. Can you imagine Obama trying to implement lockdowns and restrict people's RIGHTS? the dey tuk der jerbs mob would be spitting in each others mouths just to spite him.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Obama had legislation put towards a Pandemic Plan. Trump scrapped it.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Legislation is all well and good but he'd have had no chance in Red territory.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You fuck around in China during a lockdown and this happens:

World's apart.

Toggle Spoiler

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's some To Catch a Predator level response.

ram it up your shitpipe Giggles's Avatar
    Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quality.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The net.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That'll come in handy when they're invading somewhere

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As long as the enemy stops and gets out of their car so they can move the van in the way, rather than just driving through.

Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anyone watching this programme on Channel 4 now?

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mackers is closing tomorrow.

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    40,000 waiting to be tested here and we’ll be set up to test 5,000 a day from tomorrow so there’s going to be a monster rise in confirmed cases over the next fortnight.

People are being such cunts though when you see videos of people on beaches and queueing for food the fuck knows where it’s going.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fair play to McDonald's. Presumably they could have blagged it as a takeaway and carried on.

As the weekend has wore on and examples of idiocy have become more prevalent, I've questioned more and more whether it's morally right for any business that can't be classed as essential to continue trading.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looking at the league table. Pakistan has 776 and Poland has 634 cases. In between them both, are Diamond Princess which is a cruise ship with 712 cases. It is being guaranteed in a Japenese port. 8 man have died onboard since early February

I never knew.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For a bag of fucking chips. Any justice and they’d all catch it over anyone else.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Giggles View Post
    For a bag of fucking chips. Any justice and they’d all catch it over anyone else.

Those chips must be top 5 in the world for the queue to be down the road or is it because all other outlets in the area are lock off?

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Disco View Post
    Apparently it's South Africa.

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SincereTheRebel View Post
    Those chips must be top 5 in the world for the queue to be down the road or is it because all other outlets in the area are lock off?
    It’s where you normally go when you visit the beach there. The twits being at the beach at all being a big enough issue without a pile of them gathering like that.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I went down to the chemist the other day to pick my prescription up and they're (understandably) operating a "one in, one out" policy in the actual building as it's only very small. But all it did was lead to a queue exactly like the one pictured at that chippy in the car park outside the doctors. Just a load of mostly very old people stood shoulder to shoulder chewing each others ears off.
    Last edited by Alex; 22-03-2020 at 09:26 PM.

More successful than most Magic's Avatar
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wait McDonalds is still fucking open.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yevrah View Post
    You fuck around in China during a lockdown and this happens:

World's apart.

Toggle Spoiler

I was more asking about Japan and SK because they're democracies yet culturally more similar to China.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I really want to know if those people in that queue all have four grand's worth of food in their house, got up at 6am this morning to get to Snowdonia and back, before rounding off the day by waiting eight hours for some fish and chips.

Apple/Samsung etc. will have all of the data and it needs to be published so we can work on eradicating idiocy in time for when a more serious pandemic hits.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Magic View Post
    Half their regular customers will have underlying conditions so you'd think they'd be doing everything in their power to stop the virus.

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Half their regular customers will have underlying conditions so you'd think they'd be doing everything in their power to stop the virus.
    Luckily it doesn’t attack mental issues or 90% of their workforce would be in danger.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Magic View Post
    They'd closed all of the seating areas and just done takeaway and drive through, but they've now gone a step further and will shut entirely. I applaud that. Well, unless they have a good government source who has told them it's happening tomorrow night come what may.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was more asking about Japan and SK because they're democracies yet culturally more similar to China.
    Jim nailed it, they all put the state and society ahead of the individual. As has been seen here this weekend and before, we don't.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I presume all these places will still open for delivery even in the dead of the lockdown? I got a Lebanese delivered last night (I'm not leaving the flat right now except to go to the office, lol) and it came quick as a flash. Gorgeous too.

If the only food I can get will be via death-defying state-sanctioned visits to mini-Tesco to fight Agnes and Mohammed for the last pack of Oxo cubes, I'm not sure I'm going to enjoy the pandemic very much.