0 Thread(s)
    Exactly. What's not to love!
    I'm a twit

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spikey M View Post
    Seriously though, cases are coming down, approaching 10% of people being vaccinated, all positive news but they're tightening restrictions and warning that we may be stuck with this shit until July?

Something smells funny here.
    I've been increasingly thinking this. It just does not add up.

No government 'cares' this much about the health of its citizens. Ever.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you look around Europe, there seems to be a tendency in the "graphs" of the second wave starting to come down and then it just massively explodes all of a sudden (see Spain and Portugal).

My personal theory is that's because last wave trailed off in spring, and this one is trailing off in winter, and people are well fed up at being home as well so as soon as a glimmer of positive news come and restrictions are lifted, people just go fuck it lets party or something, and then shit hits the fan.

I think governments are basically at a point where they are realising this can sort of be dealt with now properly, but if these mutated varieties get loose properly and people just go about their business, it's all going to have been for nothing.

It must be something like that anyway. As much as any government might enjoy control over their citizens, it's not in anyones interest to continously stiffle the economy so they really dont have much to gain from it have they.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll just leave this here...

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    She looks good.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, I'm sure the holocaust was a piece of piss and Covid really took it out of her, but she's done well.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Everyone's always on the cusp of an emergency moment with COVID, it's the rules.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yevrah View Post
    Everyone's always on the cusp of an emergency moment with COVID, it's the rules.
    3 day lockdown you say?

The Artist Formerly Known as Taz
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rumours of some potential easing next month. Could my sauna open up and all my troubles dissolve or are we talking about kids being allowed into schools if their second cousin is a key worker?

More successful than most Magic's Avatar
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Scots pets should be vaccinated to curb spread of coronavirus, scientists claim

A range of animal species have contracted the virus during the pandemic - and experts warn animal to human transmission could become more widespread as Covid evolves.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That will be where Welsh vaccines are going.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Floyd View Post
    The new skill in holidays will be to find somewhere in the UK that is not full of twats of one sort of another.
    Impossible.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You've clearly never been to Caithness.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest day of hospital admissions data the lowest since 2 January
    Today's reported cases a huge drop at c.22k (think there might be a snow issue with this, I would have expected 27k lowest)
    Deaths now stable week on week (though I think another couple of headline-grabbing banzai totals await us tomorrow/Weds)
    Total patients in hospital now fallen for 3 straight days, the first such 3-day period since 30 Nov-3 Dec.

Close the garden centres.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Remain: The South West; Lake District; Yorkshire Dales; Norfolk Broads; Wales
    Leave: The Great British seaside; Yorkshire Moors; Peak District

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Great British seaside is the dog's bollocks. The smell of seaweed and bird shit baked in the sun, you can't beat it.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is as well. Fish and chips, ice cream, donuts, every single one of your prejudices confirmed. The complete day out.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sadly all the B&B's are full of single mums and asylum seekers these days.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We don't want you virus ridden grockles down here, fuck off to centreparcs or something.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Floyd View Post
    It's interesting that in Israel, who are the only country a bit ahead of us with vaccination, hospitalisations have dived off the moon in the last few days having risen until that point. It'll be interesting to see if a similar thing happens here. Our hospitalisations are falling but not yet crashing like that.
    It's encouraging but their testing's also died down. In the last couple of weeks they've went from 120,000 a day to 24,000 yesterday. Not that those numbers have looked that stable.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shindig View Post
    It's encouraging but their testing's also died down. In the last couple of weeks they've went from 120,000 a day to 24,000 yesterday. Not that those numbers have looked that stable.
    Is the lack of testing linked to the lack of people with symptoms though? Or are they doing random testing?

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not a clue. I just find it odd that yesterday's numbers were so low.

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They were all at a wedding yesterday.

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    See the Dutch have burnt down covid testing centres over the curfew

ram it up your shitpipe Giggles's Avatar
    Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That’s when a mammoth campaign of skull cracking needs to begin. Do they have much of a military?

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Waffdon View Post
    See the Dutch have burnt down covid testing centres over the curfew
    I was wondering where the bricks should be aimed at come the rebellion and I completely forgot about them. Fucking burn them down.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Deadly Dom's (latest) gift to the nation looks like being the fact that we didn't join the EU vaccine agreement, it's all kicking off over there.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Better together.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We still would've wrangled something. Oxford is inside us.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think we'd have seen the shambles coming, done our own thing and for the first time in 5 years leavers and remainers would have agreed on something being the right thing to do.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    More likely we would have shared them all out equally like chumps and claimed to be 'leading in Europe'.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Because Vietnam dealt with the virus like some sort of communist Superhero, we seem to be bottom of the fucking vaccine handouts.

I 'aint getting back to see my family until next summer (2022) by looks of things.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had a quick look to see how I would get to California if I decided to chance it in March. Firstly, I'd need a negative test within 72 hours of arrival and would probably still have to quarantine for 14 days. On top of that, no flights appear to be going direct to SFO from Heathrow so getting there would take 19 hours with a stop in Dallas. A stop that I don't think requires a quarantine of its own.

So, yeah. Next year. Maybe September if I'm lucky. £875 for 7 nights, though.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This ich nichten lichten stuff in the German press is amazing.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A few more cheeky riots in Dutchland over the last few nights. Seems to mostly just be chavs looking for an excuse to break windows and steal things.

Rumours of people buying up fake Deliveroo driver jackets so they can get about post-curfew. Assume this is mostly just drug dealers though.

Also one of our neighbours the other side of the block came out this morning into their back garden which we overlook with a brutal hacking cough

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The EU seething about the lack of our world beating vaccine they're getting.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sending leftover vaccines to Ireland as international aid.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was going to suggest we should try and sell some of ours back to the EU at a profit, like when Omar Little rolls into Prop Joe's and tries to sell his stolen product back to him at 25 cents on the dollar.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wrap each one in ham and send them over.
    Last edited by Spikey M; 26-01-2021 at 02:02 PM.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not sure what's funnier with the bleating Europeans, that they're moaning about not getting a vaccine they haven't even given regulatory approval for yet (god bless the red tape and all who sail in her) or the fact that the delays in them getting said vaccine are due to an issue in a production plant within the fucking EU itself (Belgium somehow being the vaccine capital of Europe if not the world).

But one German member of the European Parliament, Peter Liese, told Reuters news agency that the statement that there were difficulties in the EU supply chain but not elsewhere was "flimsy" and there should be "no problem to get the vaccine from the UK to the continent"

Let's hope there's not too much hold up at the ports eh?

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You're an odd sort of people.

Yay, another French dead. Because war!

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From Peston

The important difference between AstraZeneca's relationship with the UK and its relationship with the EU – and the reason it has fallen behind schedule on around 50m vaccine doses promised to the bloc – is that the UK agreed its deal with AstraZeneca a full three months before the EU did. This gave AstraZeneca an extra three months to sort out manufacturing and supply problems relating to the UK contract (there were plenty of problems).

Here is the important timeline. In May AstraZeneca reached an agreement with Oxford and the UK government to make and supply the vaccine. In fact, Oxford had already started work on the supply chain.

The following month AstraZeneca reached a preliminary agreement with Germany, the Netherlands, France and Italy, a group known as the Inclusive Vaccine Alliance, based on its agreement with the UK. That announcement was on 13 June.

But the EU then insisted that the Inclusive Vaccine Alliance could not formalise the deal, and the European Commission took over the contract negotiations on behalf of the whole EU. So there were another two months of talks and the contract was not signed until the end of August.

What is frustrating for AstraZeneca is that the extra talks with the European Commission led to no material changes to the contract, but this wasted time that could have been spent making arrangements to manufacture the vaccine with partner sites. The yield at these EU partner sites has been lower than expected.

That problem is in the course of being sorted. AstraZeneca say it is working 24/7 to make up the time and deliver the quantities the EU wanted. It says its contract with the EU – as with the UK – was always on a ‘best effort’ basis, because it was starting from scratch to deliver unprecedented amounts of a vaccine for no profit.

AstraZeneca is not blaming the EU. But it does not understand why it is being painted as the ‘bad guy’ given that if the deal had happened in June, when Germany, the Netherlands, France and Italy wanted it done, most of these supply issues would already have been sorted. A pro-EU source at the company says, ‘I understand Brexit better now.’

PS According to AstraZeneca, the EU claim that it pays less than the UK for each vaccine dose, and that is why the company is ‘working harder for the UK than for the EU’, is ‘completely incorrect’. The company reportedly offers the same price to all buyers, wherever they are in the world, subject to small adjustments due to local costs.

Let's hear it for the Inclusive Vaccine Alliance.

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Get that Pro-EU source his own twitter please.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That celebrity ethnics endorsing the vaccine video being mostly Asians isn't going to help. Idi Amin lolling in his grave (which he probably was anyway), with the Fijian military waiting in the wings.

'Vaccines? Indian!'

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Giggles View Post

Always thought you were a bit paranoid on this point but it's really come out of the woodwork the past few days.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's just funny and serves as an interesting juxtaposition to all the "oh noes it'll be the end of the world!" shit that has been bandied about for the last 4 years or whatever it is about the importance of being part of a big group and the impossibility of logistical links outside of zee free market.

Turns out there should be no problems with anything if it is of sufficient importance. Maybe everyone should have had that as an aim from the outset.

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spoonsky View Post
    Always thought you were a bit paranoid on this point but it's really come out of the woodwork the past few days.
    Maybe there is someone sitting in Poland or Belgium raising a glass and high fiving whenever news comes in of elsewhere getting it tough but I really think they’re alone in it for the most part. They talk about it like they do sport and it’s really weird, more to be pitied than anything.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Giggles View Post

That's not why it's funny. It's funny because for the last few years the EU have been laughing their smug little arses off, saying we need them more than they need us and we're going to end up facing supply chain problems. Then 26 days in, they're at the door with their stampy-tanty shoes on, begging cap in hand.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Today's numbers:

New cases incredibly low (about 5k lower than what I had thought the best case scenario). Could be a snow effect, not sure, let's hope not.
    We are now roughly at the infection levels we were at about 10 days before Christmas, and the fall is steady.
    However, there are definite signs of an increase/outbreak of new infections in west Yorkshire (especially Bradford) and parts of south Yorkshire. Most other areas are declining steadily, some rapidly.
    Daily hospitalisations also down again by about the amount you would expect.

Deaths are plateauing, albeit at a very high level. I would expect maybe 2 or 3 days before we can say they are starting to fall.

Chris Whitty seems to think infections are 'steady' thanks to the new variant, not sure what numbers he is looking at.