User Tag List

Page 216 of 236 FirstFirst ... 116166206214215216217218226 ... LastLast
Results 10,751 to 10,800 of 11773

Thread: The All New Jobs Thread

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Now in Krakow, and got accosted by a very drunk Irishman c.2pm who accused me of being an arms dealer. Sort him out will you Giggles.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tractors are weapons in the right hands.

More successful than most Magic's Avatar
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is anyone on here a full stack developer?

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Now that I think about it, Jimmy's firm does feel alot more Arms dealy than tractor dealy.

Trips to South America, trips to a country neighbouring a war zone, Iraqi's carrying briefcases around...

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Didn't the police break into his house at some point not that long ago? That doesn't happen to innocent spark plug salesmen.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Has he actually ever seen the 'wares' he's selling?

"Why yes I would definitely like 400 of your finest 'transmissions filters'."

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spikey M View Post
    Now that I think about it, Jimmy's firm does feel alot more Arms dealy than tractor dealy.

Trips to South America, trips to a country neighbouring a war zone, Iraqi's carrying briefcases around...
    Now owned by South Africans.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a mate whose wife thinks I'm a spy. Sometimes I believe it myself.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is £44k the going rate for a spy?

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Unless your name is Barney.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben View Post
    Is £44k the going rate for a spy?
    That will be for a Senior Spy.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Floyd View Post
    I have a mate whose wife thinks I'm a spy. Sometimes I believe it myself.
    It's the go-to joke for anybody who works abroad a lot but without going to glamourous places.

My dad got it a lot. Now he had a run of coincidences () where he'd come back from places just in time to avoid some sort of armed unrest going on, but still, if he was a spy he really committed to the "knowing a lot about concrete" bit of his cover story.

Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are you saying Daddy Pig might be a spy?
    I'm a twit

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cover story does have to be air tight tbf.

Imagine if he was doing his spy duties and came across a concrete expert, he'd have been rumbled instantly.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jimmy's a John Le Carre protagonist and nothing will change my mind.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Could use his concrete knowledge of concrete to ‘disappear’ anyone who questions him.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Would be some bender but easily doable.

Hopping on a 6-8 hour train is something a pissed up LAD would do.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Irishman was still in the bar at 6. A proper bender if he's survived being identified as dead in 2012 though.

Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    New starter on Teams:

Great thank you, am i still meeting you at 9am tomorrow when i checked you're calendar the other day there was a few times down...?

There's some passive aggression in that ...? and I can't quite put my finger on it. You're priveleged to be able to see my schedule, mate.
    I'm a twit

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Any instance of ... in a professional context would seem passive aggresive to me.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Baz's subordinate already displaying contempt

Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Apparently she told someone I was very approachable, I’ll have you know.
    I'm a twit

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's just code for "he's a push over", right?

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All jokes aside Baz based on the interactions you have told us about and the fact she immediately came in going 'lol ai actually want to do this not the job you gave me' I'd be extremely cautious dealing with her cos she sounds to type to fuck your career to move hers upwards.

Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lofty View Post
    All jokes aside Baz based on the interactions you have told us about and the fact she immediately came in going 'lol ai actually want to do this not the job you gave me' I'd be extremely cautious dealing with her cos she sounds to type to fuck your career to move hers upwards.
    Did my head in yesterday. I'm not technically her line manager but her workload is split between me and someone else, who is assigned as her line manager. When she first started she told me her line manager had done a workplan for her, mapping out objectives and stuff. I asked her if she wanted me to do one and she explicitly said no, and I got the impression she felt it was all a bit unnecessary.

Fast forward to yesterday and she's asked me to do a workplan cos she needs more structure. Like sure, I'll do it, but c'mon.

She's just sent me said workplan and it's so basic. Think I'm gonna go overboard so I don't need to update it much, and probably overwhelm her with short and long term goals. Let's have it.
    I'm a twit

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had an interview the other week, and the feedback came in today: 'Interesting and relevant experience in Defence, and strongest academic qualification amongst candidates selected for interview. Unfortunately, the interview was quite poor overall, sometimes giving an impression of not being engaged with the process'. What? I felt very confident and relaxed during the interview, because I know everything they needed me to know, so surely they haven't seen that as me not being arsed (after a lengthy application that took them months to process)?

I think I need to get out of the civil service. Regardless of how productive and informed I am my manner seems to annoy the Communicating & Influencing people. How do I get into re-heating basic geopolitical analysis for a bank?

The Artist Formerly Known as Taz
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fam, they're used to dealing with cunts who need to ask for the interview questions a day before the interview because their neurodiverse (read ethnic) brains can't deal with it, of course they're going to be alarmed at your ways.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds a bit like they didn't like your attitude more than anything.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Knowing things alone is not enough. You need to smile and say 'That's an interesting question' and 'I hadn't thought of it like that before, but...' and 'You will know more about this than me, but I would certainly say...' and all the other bits of linking bollocks that may seem frustratingly inconsequential but in fact are what lifts a human being up from the realm of the 2D encyclopedia for it is, after all, a human being that they are seeking to employ.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Boydy View Post
    Sounds a bit like they didn't like your attitude more than anything.
    Aye. Tone the Lewis down next time.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Knowing things alone is not enough. You need to smile and say 'That's an interesting question' and 'I hadn't thought of it like that before, but...' and 'You will know more about this than me, but I would certainly say...' and all the other bits of linking bollocks that may seem frustratingly inconsequential but in fact are what lifts a human being up from the realm of the 2D encyclopedia for it is, after all, a human being that they are seeking to employ.
    They don't ask you questions that you could respond like that to. They literally go 'Give us an example of a time you Made an Effective Decision', and then sit there like computer game characters until you've stopped talking long enough for them to move on to asking you for an example of when you 'Showed Leadership'. There can't be a worse recruiting system in the world.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They almost always hire the wrong candidates as a result.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewis View Post
    'Give us an example of a time you Made an Effective Decision'
    There is this place called 'Teh Refuge'...

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They don't ask you questions that you could respond like that to. They literally go 'Give us an example of a time you Made an Effective Decision', and then sit there like computer game characters until you've stopped talking long enough for them to move on to asking you for an example of when you 'Showed Leadership'. There can't be a worse recruiting system in the world.
    Sure, but those questions are a piece of piss to answer and you just need a decent example response. It's formulaic, but it works for both sides.

From their point of view they need to ask candidates roughly the same questions to get a baseline by which to compare answers.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have you seen the state of the civil service? It most definitely does not work for both sides. It works for Igor types that can riff on demand.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I mean in the sense that if they ask predictable questions then you can have well-formed answers ready-to-go. The rest of it is just filler, like Jim says

Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What did you say when they asked you if you had any questions?
    I'm a twit

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I always think it's best to just be yourself anyway. The interview works both ways, so if they're cunts it's for the best. What sort of role was it?

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When we met the first thing you said to the poor bar girl was "it's fucking morbid in here isn't it?"

I'd imagine it's that sort of thing.

Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I imagine Lewis went full Lewis (read: autist) and they thought he was a weirdo they didn’t want to deal with.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Baz View Post
    What did you say when they asked you if you had any questions?
    I work with them in my current role, so I asked about whether there was scope for them to anticipate issues and offer advice to people before the people come to them in a panic, like is currently the case with something I'm dealing with for/with them.

Quote Originally Posted by Offshore Toon View Post
    I always think it's best to just be yourself anyway. The interview works both ways, so if they're cunts it's for the best. What sort of role was it?
    It was doing historical research-based policy stuff for the Royal Navy. It had internal appointment written all over it from the off but still.

Man(c) of the People igor_balis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On nights this week, and my colleague (always two on for nights) is wfh, whole massive two story office and warehouse to myself, it's fucking mint tbf

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It was interesting earlier, I was talking to my manager who is struggling to find a candidate of any quality to replace Barney. Job has been live for a month now and not had anyone decent apply. He asked the recruiters why, as the salary offered is fairly artificially high, and they all said the same thing: you're not offering remote working. The job market now is more about that than it is about money, apparently. We are not that corporate and don't have the systems in place to offer comprehensive wfh (telephone forwarding, IT monitoring, and so on), and it's a job/industry that deals in physical products and therefore leans a lot on in-person presence, so we're more or less fucked.

Work from home, order dinner in from home, only go out to pick the kids up, be dragged around tk maxx on a Saturday and go to a shitty barbecue on a Sunday. What a dreadful societal vision.

Man(c) of the People igor_balis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It was interesting earlier, I was talking to my manager who is struggling to find a candidate of any quality to replace Barney. Job has been live for a month now and not had anyone decent apply. He asked the recruiters why, as the salary offered is fairly artificially high, and they all said the same thing: you're not offering remote working. The job market now is more about that than it is about money, apparently. We are not that corporate and don't have the systems in place to offer comprehensive wfh (telephone forwarding, IT monitoring, and so on), and it's a job/industry that deals in physical products and therefore leans a lot on in-person presence, so we're more or less fucked.

Work from home, order dinner in from home, only go out to pick the kids up, be dragged around tk maxx on a Saturday and go to a shitty barbecue on a Sunday. What a dreadful societal vision.
    Aye, it's funny, as a lazy workshy twat you'd think I'd love WFH but it ain't for me. I think it's largely A Good Thing, but nah, I go mental doing it. We're allowed to do 50% shifts at home, so I may still occasionally use a WFH day when I have an unusually early start/social plans after work/fancy a hot curry the night before.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    WFH is garbage. Thankfully everyone over here loves coming to the office to avoid staying at home with the in-laws, shitty WiFi and a farting buffalo.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I work from home every Tuesday and Thursday in my current job and it's quite good, mostly because I get to skip commuting to work. Even one day a week would mostly accomplish the same effect for me. Two is the highest I'd go though, any more than that and it gets boring.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I now get more done at home than I do in the office, I have to go in today and I know I'll get barely anything done compared to being at home. It doesn't help that we switched to hot desking during covid so the good office culture was essentially binned.

For me, working from home is preferred. I get to spend all day with my dog, and essentially feel semi-retired. I do think in a different role it might not be great but I am given the freedom to do what I want as long as I deliver the goods and my work is essentially looking at hundreds of spreadsheets alone so it's easier without small talk.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For some jobs/people I'm sure it's perfect, but my anguish was more about it being so widespread that it actually fucks the job market.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Considering I've worked almost extensively from home for nearly 3 years, I can confirm it's absolutely ace.