118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Has Ed Virtue been capped yet?

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Recently got his first call-up so not capped yet, but he's just waiting for that shithead Toby Yates to play himself out of the starting spot.

Fuck like you cook.
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oxford City - 2037/2038

Transfers In

Toggle Spoiler

Transfers Out

Toggle Spoiler

Summary

League

It might have looked like a challenge occurred but that wasn't the case as Manchester City ran away with it in the end.

Two wins in our final eight games might have had something to do with it but we definitely collapsed.

Domestic Cups

Community Shield - We beat WBA 3-0.

Super Cup - We beat Spurs 1-0. Retained.

EFL Cup - Sheffield United were taken out via penalties as our youngsters forced their way through. Aston Villa in the 4th round was a slightly easier task as we fielded a stronger side and despite going down to ten men we came away with a 2-0 win. Man City were drawn in the quarter finals and our involvement ended there. 4-2 at the John Woodley Stadium.

FA Cup - Lincoln and Bournemouth were put out 4-0 and 7-0 before we faced Arsenal in the 5th round. A 2-1 win was enough to set up another quarter final, this time against Tottenham who'd win 1-0 and start our end of season collapse. Joys.

FIFA Club World Cup - Drawn against Chelsea and Ulsan Hyundai in the group stage we faced the Koreans first and recorded an emphatic 7-0 victory before following up with a 3-1 success against Chelsea. Maxwell's OG in stoppage time made things nervous before son Timber Rood scored the third in the 92nd. Krasnodar were drawn in the next round and duly sent home conceding six along the way thus setting up a semi final against PSG. We'd face Man City in the final who recorded a 3-2 win over Spurs earlier in the day. I say we'd join them because Yan Canti's solo effort against the French champions was all it took. 1-0.

But then Man City be Man City and they beat us 2-1.

Champions League

We beat Real Madrid on the opening match day 4-1 before recording the same scoreline away to Slavia Praha. When Roma arrived to England though no one foresaw the 8-0 victory that was about to occur. Adel and Van de Voorde with braces but my beautiful delightful amazing top graded son scored four! We eventually finished 2nd but we use the group stages as a chance to give the kids a go, especially after qualification.

PSG would be our knockout round opponents but a 6-2 aggregate win was enough to continue our adventure in the competition. Inter Milan arrived in the quarters and a 1-0 win in Italy was a slender lead to hold but the 7-1 win in the return fixture set us up as favourites for the rest of the competition, odds that were no doubt cut even further when we recorded a 3-0 win against Manchester City in the 1st leg of the Semi Final.

Well. Someone blues got rich.

Toggle Spoiler

So we end up empty handed other than the Super Cup which means my idea of domination was as deluded as I am. There was some bright spots. 29 year old icon Yan Canti continued to find the net with 37 in 54(8), Adel and Diguinho grabbing nearly 30 between them. Robbie the Welsh Wonder with 9 in 24(2) although he's going to struggle to be a first team regular with Diguinho about. Yan the Man is going nowhere.

Man City conceded just eleven league goals. Another period of dominance for them would be a piss take but I really don't feel we're too far off so I'm going to avoid bringing a huge amount in during the summer.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What do your finances look like, Smiff?

Fuck like you cook.
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm three seasons ahead of that last update so I'll play catch up after this current one is over. Very good is the answer though.

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know you play with an instant result skin but even so, you are flying through the seasons. I barely get through 2 months if I have a long session on the game.

Fuck like you cook.
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thommo View Post
    I know you play with an instant result skin but even so, you are flying through the seasons. I barely get through 2 months if I have a long session on the game.
    It really doesn't take that long if you ignore the fluff and just get down to it. It is Touch I am playing too. Most the time I spend waiting for it to process because my machine isn't all that great.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been playing Touch and it's a good mix of stuff to do and speed. Doesn't feel like a particularly cut down version at all

Fuck like you cook.
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oxford City - 2038/2039

Transfers In

Toggle Spoiler

Transfers Out

Juan Antonio Munoz - After six loan spells and a minor opportunity last season it was clear that we had to cut our losses on a defender who had tried to make the grade with us for eight years. There comes a time when you just have to admit it's not going to happen so we sold him to Leeds for £13.25M.

Sam Crane - Off to Sheffield United for £12.5M where he proved to be a first team option, sadly for us that wasn't the case and the £1.4M steal from Man United in 3030 looked another wasted effort.

Alejandro - Joined us in 2027 from Chelsea's academy and had stints as first choice over the years but a decision was made to let him leave for £48.5M rising to £60 as this wage was just too much for someone sitting on the bench.

Paul Bollan - One of our own in our so called golden generation but a near £30M bid from Toronto saw his time at the club come to an end. He was a good squad player but nothing more.

Season Summary

The biggest surprise of the season wasn't so much our easy run to our fourth Premier League title but Man City being so poor compared to last year. Chelsea were the only team to take a full three points against us showed our strength throughout the campaign.

Domestic Cups

EFL Cup - We lost at the first hurdle as Liverpool won 2-1 at Anfield.

FA Cup - Blackburn, QPR and Man United were beaten 3-0, 4-0 and 5-0 to set up a quarter final against Leicester City. We were riding high in all competitions at this point and so fancied our chances. A 3-2 win suggested we were right to believe that. Unfortunately Manchester City would come up trumps in the semi finals beating us 2-1.

Champions League

Other than a 3-3 draw away to Milan we made simple work of our group with our youngsters again playing a large role. Schalke got spanked twice as the basement bashing whilst FC Midtjylland took 3rd place.

FC Porto posed no threat in the 1st knockout round despite holding us to a 2-2 draw in Portugal. Our 5-1 win in the return enough to send us through with plenty to spare. Real Madrid were next to visit the John Woodley Stadium and we sent them packing 3-0. The return fixture wasn't so easy though as we were defeated by two goals to nil. Our first leg work enough. Just.

FC Barcelona would arrive in the semi finals and we felt we had their number. 6-2 on aggregate again proving us correct whilst Manchester City lay in wait in the final hoping to retain their title from last season. It wasn't possible as we won 2-1. Eliott Bernand's own goal the decisive one.

Fuck like you cook.
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oxford City - 2039/2040

Transfers In

Toggle Spoiler

Transfers Out

After just two seasons at the club Kelvin Ikenna was allowed to join Arsenal for £83M, he just wasn't what we were looking for as he preferred up front. Another to join Arsenal was Dario Gomez who waved goodbye after six seasons as the clubs number one left back. £54M and I'm confident we had the best out of him. Finally Adel, we signed him for £77M in 3034 and he surpassed expectations but an injury hit season last year spelt the end, especially as we've got too many quality options coming through so the bid from Barcelona was easily accepted.

Season Summary

It was Chelsea's turn for a late season collapse but truth be told they probably wouldn't have troubled us as we finally started to show our strength as a club. We're not little Oxford, we're one of, if not 'the' big boys of the country.

Cups

Community Shield - Beat Man City 3-0 with Diguinho grabbing a brace. He's starting to blossom.

Super Cup - Tottenham 0-6 Oxford City. Canti, Jimenez and Diguinho amongst the goals. Another trophy.

EFL Cup - Fulham ended our involvement before it had even begun as our youngsters came up short losing 1-0.

FA Cup - It wasn't a much better story as Robbie Pritchard's double wasn't enough to prevent Leicester dumping us out of the third round stage 3-2.

Champions League

Vitesse, FC Porto and Schalke meant we were going to make short work of the group and this was highlighted by the fact we played our 'reserves' in every single fixture.

Ajax were first up in the 1st knockout round but we brushed past them 7-1 on aggregate. Europe was too easy. Manchester City were drawn in the quarter finals and it was clear the winner of the tie would no doubt win the trophy. Diguinho scoring in both games was brilliant but it was Timber Rood's strike in the 2nd leg that gave us the 3-1 aggregate win. PSG were waiting.

Our visit to France saw a 3-0 lead taken but a 3-3 result. We threw it away but felt confident going into the 2nd leg. Lucas Jimenez's double gave us the 2-0 win and set up another Champions League final, our fourth in five years and it would be our fourth European Cup in five years too as we cruised to a 3-0 win.

Fuck like you cook.
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oxford City - 2040/2041 - Global Domination.

Transfers In

Toggle Spoiler

Transfers Out

Zimmermann joined Arsenal for £77M more profit than what we stole him for from Southampton. I say stole a lot because that's exactly what it is come intake day. Day light robbery. He featured for seven seasons but we wanted to stream line the squad somewhat. 5 goals for the Gunners was five more than he managed for us in the last two seasons.

Vitor Andre was brought in on a free from FC Porto and played just five games in both his seasons at the club. PSG's £77M bid was too good to refuse. He went on to score 20 in 38 for them so perhaps another mistake. Lucas Jimenez left for our 'rivals' Manchester City. I signed him back in 2029 and it took him a few years to win me over but a decade later he departs and we make £5M profit too. Bonus. 9 goals in 31 from the wing says he's still a threat.

Marcos Maldonado joined in 2035 for £10M from River Plate but other than a successful loan move at West Brom he was rather useless. Madrid bid £34.5M rising to £50. He went on to score 16 in 37.

Finally Miguel Romero was let go due to being the wrong side of 30, big wages and we wanted more youth in the first team. Seven seasons as the clubs first choice left back and although we made a huge loss, he won us so much during his time at the club that it's permissible.

Season Summary

League

Our third successive Premier League title. Our sixth in title. We were pretty darn' good.

Cups

Community Shield - Yan Canti's stoppage time winner gave us a 5-4 win over Chelsea.

UEFA Super Cup - Bayer Leverkusen's Europa League success was no match for our Champions League one as we eased to a 3-0 win.

EFL Cup - We decided to field a strong team from the off and it paid dividends. Another high scoring game against Chelsea saw us come away with a 5-3 win at home. A 3-0 win over Man United at Old Trafford followed in the 4th round. Tottenham were swatted aside 4-1 in the quarters and whilst Arsenal fans laughed at the time, a 6-2 aggregate win over them in the semi final's completed a very impressive run to our first EFL Cup final since winning it in 2026. Burnley ("I fucking hate Burnley" were our opponents and the 5-1 win says all you need to know.

FA Cup - The kids put Boston and Cambridge United out of the competition early doors before Newcastle were drawn in round 5 so we fielded the first team. A 2-1 win was sufficient to set up a quarter final against the lowest ranking team remaining. Charlton. I didn't want to risk it with the kids so again the first team played and came away with a 5-1 win and another day out at Wembley. We'd face Man United in the semi's, we beat them 2-0, the weak later we faced them at the John Woodley Stadium in the league to wrap up the league title. Tottenham were our final opponents but we navigated that once again 2-1. Our first domestic clean sweep.

Champions League

After beating Monaco 5-0 on match day one it was surprising that they would be the only team we would drop points to. Atletico Madrid took 2nd place with Anderlecht finishing rock bottom. Another opportunity to blood youngsters was obtained as we qualified early.

Milan were drawn in the next round and we recorded 4-0 and 7-0 wins. We'd now scored 37 times against the Italians.

Quarter finals would see PSG one again but the first leg all but ended the tie as we raced into a 5-1 first half lead. Our 2-0 win in the return set up a semi against German giants Bayern but again we were confident. Our first leg was to be away and although we threatened to score more we could only return to England with a solitary goal as Troels Jacobsen's strike gave us a slender lead. The 5-0 battering in the return however gave us entry to the final for a third successive season. Manchester City would be up as our usual nemesis but as in 2039 and 2036 we denied the Mancunians, this time 3-0.

We won absolutely everything.

Next and final update is the current squad and youngsters but we're up to date.....my bad.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tremendous effort.

Fuck like you cook.
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oxford City - Summary.

The First Team and subs.
    Toggle Spoiler

Random Stuff.
    Toggle Spoiler

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nuts. Top Effort. My time at Villareal is in a horrible spot. We lead the league until recently but Betis have just fucking roared past. We're struggling because Golden Boy Barbero thinks he's too big for us.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another weird thing about the Qatar scheduling - one-legged European knockout ties. We drew Ajax in the Europa League round of 32, away in the first leg (or so I assumed), went over there and my pal Mazzonetto nicked the winner which I thought we would be taking back to Budapest... but no, that's it, and it's the same in the round of 16 before reverting to two-leggers for the quarter-finals.

They must have really thought this through at some point. The last round of group games (in some groups) took place on New Year's Eve.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    R16 opponents?

I won the Europa league that year and the scheduling was a major player. Topping the group we progressed straight to the last sixteen and 90 minutes later were in the QF. Bonkers.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Krasnodar (away), got 'winnable' smoke billowing off it, which is usually bad news.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

EEEEEP

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sack the manager and get a better one in

Fuck like you cook.
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Who needs the magical 40 anyway?

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Easy:

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did anyone ever read the Ratpack series on the SI forums? I'm highly tempted to start a version of it, with fewer words and more pictures

Fuck like you cook.
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    More action the better. I'm half tempted to go to half season updates just to keep activity going in the thread. It's a welcome change.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I want to do a massive info dump on 26 years of CM 01-02. I want to dive deep into what the game prefers to do in terms of finances, transfers, etc. I've got it in my head that the game does not want to breach the Zidane transfer record.

Fun fact: There are two managers who've been at the same club since the save started.

Mentioned
    199 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mugbull View Post
    Did anyone ever read the Ratpack series on the SI forums? I'm highly tempted to start a version of it, with fewer words and more pictures
    What was it?
    I'm a twit

Fuck like you cook.
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shindig View Post
    I want to do a massive info dump on 26 years of CM 01-02. I want to dive deep into what the game prefers to do in terms of finances, transfers, etc. I've got it in my head that the game does not want to breach the Zidane transfer record.

Fun fact: There are two managers who've been at the same club since the save started.
    It's the records both modern and historic that I like and I'd love for more to be made of them.

Example in my current save.

I would have liked to have known that Yan Canti had equalled the record but I'd also like more to be made of this:

January 1st.

19 league games to score 12 goals....it's on.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's a lot of stuff on OOTP (baseball management sim) which the football version should adapt. One of my favourite things is on that big expanse of blue next to the player's name at the top, it has little icons for medals/awards won in their career - so in the baseball version you might have three little rings for World Series wins, an icon for an MVP win, 5 little gloves for Gold Gloves won, etc etc. That would be great to see in the football version.

Mentioned
    199 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Floyd View Post
    There's a lot of stuff on OOTP (baseball management sim) which the football version should adapt. One of my favourite things is on that big expanse of blue next to the player's name at the top, it has little icons for medals/awards won in their career - so in the baseball version you might have three little rings for World Series wins, an icon for an MVP win, 5 little gloves for Gold Gloves won, etc etc. That would be great to see in the football version.
    Thats one of those things I never knew I wanted until I heard about it.
    I'm a twit

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Found something new today about 01-02. Chairmen don't age. Freddie Shepherd is still 61. He was 76 when he died 3 years ago. Unless the game's just given Newcastle a new chairman with the same name.

EDIT: Looking at the oldest player record unearths a player that Saviola has to beat to become the oldest player in Spanish football. He retired last season at 45 so I can't grab his playing stats. He is an original database player so it does give me hope Javier could pack it in eventually.
    Last edited by Shindig; 19-06-2020 at 08:23 PM.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oldham Season 2 Round Up:

Didn't transfer the final table screenshot across from my iPad

But essentially finished 10th having been tipped for relegation, flirted with the play off spots at times but ultimately 18 draws and a couple of crushing defeats from total collapses saw us cut adrift. Still a top half finish in League 1 is 2 years ahead of the board ambitions.

Club captain David Wheater retired at the end of the season having fallen down the pecking order. As always, Oldham don't have any money so it was left for me to identify young talent with expiring contracts who didn't want a fortune. This what I got:

Toggle Spoiler

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ferencvaros season 5.

So, Europa League last 16, and a single-legger away to Krasnodar. It's snowing, it's a shite game that we had much the better of, and after 80 minutes our long serving centre half Blazic gets a red card. The tables turn and Krasnodar start piling everything onto us, both through to full time and then throughout extra time, but we just about cling on for penalties. Goalkeeper Denes Dibusz saves two (he is a bit of a hero in European shootouts) and through we go to Ferencvaros's first European quarter-final in 48 years, and the first quarter-final for any Hungarian side since Honved made the UEFA Cup last eight in 1979.

The draw was never going to be easy and we picked out Napoli. They are a fearsome outfit, leading Serie A, having steamrollered their way through the Europa League to date, and having won ten games straight in all competitions as they came to Budapest. Their front three of Insigne-Rodrigo-Milik had scored an imposing 58 goals between them, with Insigne also contributing 21 assists for an absurd average rating of 8.02.

Naturally, then, we soon went ahead on the break as Ramic burst them on the counter and Josh Harrop, signed from Preston North End, finished to give us a 1-0 lead. Despite this, Napoli were so much the better team and they finally equalised on the hour when their fourth horseman, Kingsley Coman, danced through the defence (led in this game, thanks to Blazic's suspension, by donkey-like Hungarian journeyman Csaba Szatmari) to score. They then hammered at the door before inexplicably giving away a penalty on one of our rare forays forward, converted by Croatian wing back Petar Bockaj.

Somehow Szatmari and his fellow peasants clung on for a 2-1 first leg win, although this felt somewhat like going to Naples with 'The Camorra are gay, pass it on' emblazoned across the team bus. So when Ramic rifled in the opener early on at the San Paolo, we were into stratified territory. We looked good for a while at 3-1 up on aggregate, but then Insigne won and converted a penalty, and Verdi fired in the equaliser, before they nodded in another just after the break to send us plunging back to earth with molten wax dripping from our wings. It was annoying, but it always felt like no matter how well we did, they were always going to smash home just enough goals to win the tie. They went on to win both this, beating Mainz in the final, and Serie A.

Domestically, despite a shaky start we ended up sweeping all before us in the league and won it by 21 points. Debrecen and Vidi were back to being the closest - Vidi have adopted a curious strategy of loaning in half of South America every year. Ujpest, who had challenged for the title in 21/22, spent a lot of 22/23 in the relegation zone before saving themselves towards the end. Our other derby rivals, MTK, went down. Debrecen finished 2nd and will enter the Champions League best placed qualifying (from which, I can tell you now, they will not emerge). Vidi, Puskas Academy, and surprise package Mezokovesd will go into the Europa League.

Fuck like you cook.
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Smjffy View Post
    It's the records both modern and historic that I like and I'd love for more to be made of them.

Example in my current save.

I would have liked to have known that Yan Canti had equalled the record but I'd also like more to be made of this:

January 1st.

19 league games to score 12 goals....it's on.

Toggle Spoiler

Sickening.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No shame bowing out in Naples, Jim. Do you think you'll tire of the lack of competition domestically?

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Easy:

First season in the prem
    Toggle Spoiler
    Last edited by Mike; 20-06-2020 at 11:25 AM.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Manc View Post
    No shame bowing out in Naples, Jim. Do you think you'll tire of the lack of competition domestically?
    I haven't done so far, though this was the first season we really strolled it. The problem they have is no money, apart from Vidi who chuck around half millions here and there. If I was being strategic, I would throw the league this upcoming season as we are up to 9th in the coefficients so there's a direct entry to the Champions League group stage, and the competition need that money more than I do. However, I'm not Mother Teresa, so fuck them.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tbf Mother Teresa would burn all the other teams’ stadiums in order to help them build character

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Alright, let's get the first of these roundups done. First thing I'm focusing on is something that really hasn't changed much beyond 2001 levels: Transfers and Wages.

At the time the game's opening, Zinedine Zidane's £46m transfer is the mark to beat and, 26 years later, it has not been surpassed. Only one transfer has breached the £40m mark with that being Rio Ferdinand's £41m move to Barcelona from Leeds. This moved happened in 2006 and nobody has come close in 20 years. The game seems happier to top out around the £32m mark with a host of players hitting that region.

Ronaldo - £32m to Real Madrid in 2001 (REALISM!)
    Joe Cole and Patrick Vieira - £30.5m in 2005 to Barcelona and Milan respectively
    Alex - £30.5m to Celtic in 2006.
    Vitor Santos - £33.5m to Inter in 2018.
    Daniel Cejas and Marco Didderen - £31.5m to Milan in 2020.
    Antonio Carlos - £31.5m to Valencia in 2023

Unsurprisingly, Didderen and Cejas' moves to Milan was followed by just the one other transfer: a £2.8m arrival of Joel Silva Nieto from Atalanta. During that season, all their departures left for free. In all, Didderen's transfers to PSV, Tottenham, Milan, Betis and ... back to PSV have seen £80.5m change hands. Antonio Carlos, a Portuguese playmaker, surpasses that total handedly. £99m which has seen him play for Braga, Porto, Arsenal, Newcastle, Valencia, Milan and Chelsea. Both men are 32.

I think the game's reluctance to spend big and break records is helped by the unprotected contracts. Why break the bank when you can wait for their contracts to roll down and pay that off? It's the reason I was able to buy Saviola and van der Vaart in 2009 for a combined £18.25 and ultimately, lead me to winning my only major league title to date. I've also noticed the loan market rarely gets used. Across the board, this appears to be for emergencies only. Top sides will only use it if there's some youth they want blooding. Even then, it's only really utilised in Spain where reserve football is a premium.

Wages seem to top out at £120k a week. Betis, for all their recent dominance, have their top earner Ricardo Rosaro (a Spanish striker at the peak of his powers) earning £70k. It definitely seems like wages are location and stature dependent. Spanish football always seems in a state of rags, riches and rags again. The TV money of England (permanently fixed at decent numbers because ITV never went bust) accommodates £100k wages. Even with that in mind, the Premier League wages seem sensible, in-keeping with the makeup of the league table.

Six figure earners are rare, then, even at the most successful of clubs. Juventus have Fabrizio Carnevale (an excellent name) earning £100k. Milan have Ricardo Gonzalez earning £120k which I believe makes him the game's top earner. It's such a rare thing and, as they get older, they demand less and less. Didderen is on £37k, compared to Antonio Carlos' £90k wage packet. Good old Javier Saviola's on a respectable £7k a week, not even Monlleu's highest earner.

So what have these big earners done to deserve the money? Gonzalez is an odd one. He's got no major honours to his name or awards. Highly regarded but not the extent he can win a Player of the Year or Foreign Player of the Year in Italy. He's 30 now and spent most of his career carving a reputation at Como. It seems more like a gamble that may yet pay off with silverware. Atonio Carlos has achieved more. A Champions League with Newcastle (beating my Wigan in the final) and he took Portugal to a Euro 2024 runners-up spot. Marco Didderen's found success almost everywhere he's went. A Champions League with PSV in 2014, a Serie A with Milan (2022). He then joined the formidable Betis spine to oversee two Spanish titles, a Champions League and a World Club Championship win. Marco van Bommel's regen, by the looks of it.

It's a game that, I believe, tries very hard not to take clubs to the wall. Cordoba's probably the biggest club that seems to skirt financial difficulties more than most. They spent big when the going was good but now spend the summers selling to cover whatever small transfers are coming in. I'll go into the financial aspects into detail a little later.

EDIT: Arse command is enabled. Freddie's stats look familiar so I'm confident it is Freddie Shepherd and not some regen of the same name and stats. Gordon Milne remains as Director of football. Gordon Milne would be pushing 90 in 2026. It's the same blokes.
    Last edited by Shindig; 20-06-2020 at 12:23 PM.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    utd offering me a contract when I'm only managing in norway and they almost had the same amount of points than the pl winner last season

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh is Yaysus Saint? This explains it all

Fuck like you cook.
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oxford City - 2041/2042

Whilst sealing our seventh Premier League title was pleasing we were even further ahead with only one league defeat as of January 1st, 2042. Just 18 more to go to match Liverpool's total of 25. Sticking with Liverpool, the 3rd place finish was their highest since finishing runners up a decade earlier but despite this, Dorukhan Tokoz was dismissed as the clubs manager. To put this into perspective, Liverpool won 19 cups under Klopp who left the club...coincidentally...a decade ago. Tokoz being the clubs 8th manager since despite winning two. Only Conte had tasted success at Liverpool since Klopp. Painful to witness.

After losing to Manchester City in the final in our first attempt at the Club World Cup, we returned the favour this time to add the only missing trophy to our increasing collection.

Man United have won the seasons opener 22 times but were no match for us as we recorded out 5th Community Shield win and our third on the bounce. You'd have to go back to the 1990's the last time that happened and even then I believe it was shared between ^^ Man United and Liverpool.

Tottenham however stopped us lifting a sixth Uefa Super Cup. Liverpool hold the record with seven and if our domination in Europe doesn't stop any time soon then we're definitely taking that in the next few seasons.

We welcomed the return of Diguinho only a few weeks earlier as our Brazilian duo continued to lift the club to new heights. Arsenal in the final wasn't ideal as if we'd lost their record would have increased to 16 Fa Cup wins but domestically I think we're too good. Hell, I'd say we are without doubt the best in the world at this stage but four league defeats suggest otherwise. Arsenal and ourselves have now faced one another 47 times and the record with our latest win took us ahead.

Pld 47 - W 19 - D 9 - L 18 - F 94 - A 79.

Our second home is wherever the Champions League final seems to be as we claimed it for a fourth successive time, our sixth in total. To get to the final in six out of seven seasons is awesome but I only have England loaded so it's heavily bias, more so than usual I imagine. Long way to go to match Real Madrid though who haven't won it now since beating Liverpool in 2017/18 but our 4th in a row means we're actually on track to beat Real Madrid's long held record of 5 on the spin. 1950's meet the 2040's.

One man who never got to feature though was club icon, Yan Canti. He's coming to his final days after such an amazing career for us.

But it was the heroics of our other Brazilian this season.

I have no doubt that if he wasn't injured for the six weeks then might have challenged for Dixie Dean's overall record of goals in a season. No doubts whatsoever.

He helped us win the treble (our second!) whilst cleaning up the awards.

That in mind....there's this too.

Oof! 10 players in the team of the year. I imagine if we'd had a right back then we might have got that too but we loaned nearly 20 youngsters out in the January market and our initial choice Jonathan Dunn....well, it just came too soon for him I reckon. He started a good half the season at least but he's not a long term option.

We're in a strange moment now though as I'm unsure which direction to go. We've got a huge stadium, great facilities and good youngsters coming through (plus those we poach) but I'm half tempted to now start fazing out Maxwell (33), Jules Van de Voorde (31), Dominik Schmitz (31) and Victor Macias (30). Yan Canti is 33 too but he's retiring at the club if possible.

Updates from here on in will be first half and second half as I slow things up on the game as I'll be able to start working again next week subject to change.

Anything anyone cares to see? Your club etc?
    Last edited by Smjffy; 20-06-2020 at 01:53 PM.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Four European Cups on the bounce. Woof.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Who's doing what in the rest of the major leagues, Smiff? Spain still Real/Barca hegemony? What's Serie A up to?

Fuck like you cook.
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Raoul Duke View Post
    Who's doing what in the rest of the major leagues, Smiff? Spain still Real/Barca hegemony? What's Serie A up to?
    I've only got England loaded on Touch so you can't even view any other leagues. All I know is money isn't in short supply, the players in Spain are brilliant (although I'd say Portugal have some right beauts) I've just drawn Juventus in the Super Cup so I guess they are OK in Europa.

It's one of the few gripes I've got with this save in that a) it's Touch and b) lack of info which is why I create a separate save each season.

Hopefully when FM21 comes out I'll have a Nasa style computer to make the most of things. I'll try continue this until that releases and then I can try again but from a lower level. Vauxhall Motors were my usual go to team but I'm just pleased to be back 'into' the game.

Fuck like you cook.
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Raoul Duke View Post
    Spain still Real/Barca hegemony?
    You timed that all too well, actually.

I can tell you some info....such as they won the Super Cup in 2025 after beating Manchester City in the 2024/25 Champions League final. European success was again on the cards in 2030/31 as Arsenal looked to defend their sole success having won the previous year against.....Real Madrid.

The winner of said cups.....one Rafa Benitez. He replaced Quique Setien in 2022 and remained at the club for 11 years and 28 days before retiring from football. Leonardo Jardim lasted nearly eight years after Rafa and current manager is Thomas Tuchel who incidently was the Arsenal manager when they last won it.

He's won the Champions League with three times with PSG, once with Arsenal, once with Man City, the Europa League twice with Tottenham and now a year into his stint with Barcelona it'll be interesting to see what he can do.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tbf Smiff I paid 2500 for my PC 18 months back and all I play is FM and Slay the Spire.

Do it, treat yourself.

Fuck like you cook.
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Soldier View Post
    Tbf Smiff I paid 2500 for my PC 18 months back and all I play is FM and Slay the Spire.

Do it, treat yourself.
    Such is life at the moment I did treat myself....I bought a huge jar of coffee and a pouch of amber leaf.

4th July is such a huge day. It's going to make or break this man but aye, I will definitely look into it.

Current specs are this piece of shit:

Intel(R) Pentium(R) CPU 4415U @ 2.30GHz
    4GB RAM

The chap at PC world said it would be fine when I told him the specs for FM as that's the only reason I even got it but I should have waited and just saved up for a top of the range laptop. I haven't had an actual PC for years because of the amount I move around.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Saison 2026-27 - My return to Ligue 1. Despite turning Toulouse into a formidable team both on home and foreign shores, my sacking in 2024 had devastated my reputation. French football had simply forgotten my name. I was confident this season would restore my footballing stock and this was mainly due to our performance in the summer transfer window. Arriving in defence were former PSG prospects Logan Costa & Tanguy Kouassi, neither above the age of 25. In midfield we added the battle-hardened Lucas Tousart from Lyon and the much maligned Tiemoue Bakayoko from Chelsea. With enough iron in the team to seduce Arnold, we desperately needed a creative outlet and Nigerian trickster Chidera Ejuke fit the bill. Former Arsenal product Stephy Mavididi completed our summer spending. All arrived on bosman deals.

It became apparent very quickly that relegation wouldn't play our part in our season, something which couldn't be said for fellow promotees Amiens & Red Star who were suffering at the foot of the table. With 9 victories and 6 draws under our belt we found ourselves in a flattering 5th come the winter break, notably a position above PSG whose 10th title in a row was a whopping 17 points away. We would go on to meet the Parisians in the French Cup and only penalties would spare their blushes. Back to Ligue 1 and a further 30 points in the second half of the season had guaranteed us European football, albeit Europa League. Despite the best efforts of Mbappe & co PSG couldn't reign in runaway Lille and alas the monopoly had been broken. Toulouse & Nice would make up the top four, with Monaco, Lyon & Marseille failing miserably. Were do we fit in this new look Ligue 1 going forward? Your guess is as good as mine.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Smjffy View Post
    Such is life at the moment I did treat myself....I bought a huge jar of coffee and a pouch of amber leaf.

4th July is such a huge day. It's going to make or break this man but aye, I will definitely look into it.

Current specs are this piece of shit:

Intel(R) Pentium(R) CPU 4415U @ 2.30GHz
    4GB RAM

The chap at PC world said it would be fine when I told him the specs for FM as that's the only reason I even got it but I should have waited and just saved up for a top of the range laptop. I haven't had an actual PC for years because of the amount I move around.
    Another vote for treating yourself when you can. Build your own proper pc.

Fuck like you cook.
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Manc
    Toggle Spoiler

Just coming through....

Fuck like you cook.
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jimmy
    Toggle Spoiler

Just coming through. Off to sit outside and have a nice read of both.

Who else has them going? Mike's up next.