Page 219 of 236 FirstFirst ... 119169209217218219220221229 ... LastLast
Results 10,901 to 10,950 of 11773

Thread: The All New Jobs Thread

More successful than most Magic's Avatar
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The company that bought us is removing every trace of the previous name. The most traumatic thing is a complete fresh wipe of existing devices. There is no migration. I mean, is that not just totally fucking insane? There's like 30,000 people that will get everything they've built up destroyed. Fuck this.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Get back on the meds.

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Manc View Post
    Get back on the meds.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    New woman is spending her entire time complaining about how cold it is in the office. It's going to be a real struggle for her if she's one of those women who needs every room to be pushing boiling point.

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's one of those at our office, but she's not a complainer. The solution was to buy her an oil filled radiator she keeps next to her desk.

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You're going to need a collective putting of the foot down before she touches those air con controls.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thankfully we have our own offices (1-4 people; I'm on my own ) and next door they have the air con permanently on 30C. Your eyes water as soon as you go through the doorway.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    30C?! It'd be like sitting in a fucking sauna all day.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Honestly it's insane. The woman is of Mediterranean origin but fucking hell there's no need. The other person in the office I dare say would like it a bit cooler but doesn't dare speak up for fear of being verbally murdered.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd be getting a new job or a new office. Fuck that.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah I would refuse to come to work. That is not reasonable.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mine has an instruction not to turn it above 21 by the thermostat.

Had to do this today: https://www.insights.com/

Anyone else had the pleasure?

Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lofty View Post
    Had to do this today: https://www.insights.com/

Anyone else had the pleasure?
    Think I’ve done that cos the logo looks familiar. Do you fill in a questionnaire where you select from four words which best describe you, and then a profile is written about you that’s about as generic as a horoscope? Think we were also assigned colours and I was livid to get blue. Not because of whatever it was supposed to mean (blurred lines between being intelligent and being an autistic nerd, from what I could gather), but Everton innit.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Floyd View Post
    New woman is spending her entire time complaining about how cold it is in the office. It's going to be a real struggle for her if she's one of those women who needs every room to be pushing boiling point.
    My new starters been here eight weeks now and couldn’t be more sound. She’s well on board with my new regime of finding as many doss-day trips away from work as possible, and Thursdays in the office is basically just chatting bollocks all day while listening to meetings on Teams with the camera off.

She does her work though, that’s the main thing. Although she can’t spell.
    I'm a twit

ram it up your shitpipe Giggles's Avatar
    Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SvN View Post
    There's one of those at our office, but she's not a complainer. The solution was to buy her an oil filled radiator she keeps next to her desk.
    Of all people I can't see Jimmy's crew doing that. They'd probably ban coats.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This week we had a woman being discriminated against by the climate control system. The vent above her head decided to blast cold air exclusively at her.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's trouble at mill chez-nous. South Africans are kicking off because we've only grown by 5% or something this year instead of their ludicrously inflated target of 20. Not sure what the penalty for this poor performance will be, given they can't exactly hire anyone better. Maybe we'll be forcibly relocated to Potchefstroom.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Baz View Post
    Think I’ve done that cos the logo looks familiar. Do you fill in a questionnaire where you select from four words which best describe you, and then a profile is written about you that’s about as generic as a horoscope? Think we were also assigned colours and I was livid to get blue. Not because of whatever it was supposed to mean (blurred lines between being intelligent and being an autistic nerd, from what I could gather), but Everton innit.

My new starters been here eight weeks now and couldn’t be more sound. She’s well on board with my new regime of finding as many doss-day trips away from work as possible, and Thursdays in the office is basically just chatting bollocks all day while listening to meetings on Teams with the camera off.

She does her work though, that’s the main thing. Although she can’t spell.
    Yeah you get a result detailing your personality via four colours, Red Yellow Blue and Green. My team was basically all blue but I was green

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    End of September we had the dreaded meeting about a restructure which put 120 of us in the whole dept at risk, main guy taking the meeting said to look at it as an opportunity which had a massive air of bullshit about it. Had four interviews for six different jobs with two of those jobs basically just remaining employed as I am as a minimum, I've now been offered two promotions and still waiting to hear about others. I have absolutely no idea how interviews work as I came away from all of them assuming I'd be dancing for coins on a street corner.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Was there a "Sporting moments in MS Paint" section of the interview? If so it was probably that which has set you up.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "Okay, so for the next section we have six club crests in a grid ..."

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When they had the selection round on famous Moroccans I was quids in

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I booked a whole morning of home visits in Romford and only one of them bothered to be home. So I'm now sat in my car in a rainy, Basildon Sainsburys carpark, eating a lukewarm sausage roll until my Afternoon appointments at 2. Seething.

And bored. Which is why I'm posting this. You will all suffer with me.

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Had a person turn up to work yesterday already in a bad way(suffer badly from anxiety and depression). Asked to speak to their manager about it to be told said manager is too busy but he'll fetch a MHFA. They must have spent an hour and a half of essentially trying to stop them having a complete mental breakdown.

At this point the shift manager turns up wanting to know if they're planning on going back to work or not. Basically saying if you don't think you can, you should think about going home. After some coaxing they eventually went back to work. Almost right at the end of the shift the shift manager comes back to them and explains that they're docking two hours of pay but he's doing them a favour because the company wont count the time against them.

Given financial worries is one of the main triggers at play here that's an outstanding move and is sure to mean my Wednesday is a busy one.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think I would probably kill him before I killed myself if I was in that scenario. How does someone become that big of a cunt?

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They had enough of sitting in their car in a rainy, Basildon Sainsburys carpark, eating a lukewarm sausage roll until their Afternoon appointments.

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What's more frustrating is they get no support at home, so work is their escape from it all and they're essentially shutting help and support down now. Suggesting she goes home rather than instructing means they're not liable to pay for the time off, if she does and also means if they so choose they can take her through the absence process.

I believe she was also told that they would like her to make those two hours back up later in the week too, but that I'm not sure on.

As for the manager, it's exactly what these warehouse types want in charge. Remove any potential "bad apples" and get those quantities out the door. Empathy has been trained right out of them.
    I'm not surprised with the manager though. Same guy once told me that it must surely be cheaper to put my three kids into an nursery(I'm wasn't signed up to one and it was a 6am start on this particular day) for the day and come to work and so couldn't understand why I needed to have a day off. Didn't also understand why I laughed at him when he said it.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Andy Mahowry View Post
    They had enough of sitting in their car in a rainy, Basildon Sainsburys carpark, eating a lukewarm sausage roll until their Afternoon appointments.
    In that case, dock the twat a month.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Small amounts of power make people into, well, I won't say little Hitlers, but certainly micro Eichmanns.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To stick up for middle managers a bit, you do spend so much time having to deal with people announcing that they are not prepared to do any of their harder duties for a period of at least 6 months because their goldfish looked a bit sad that morning, that it is sometimes hard to engage the long dormant human bit of your brain when a genuine case comes a long.

I'm running a reasonably large department of people these days and I do feel like I spend the whole day operating as a cross between a nursery school teacher, a full time counsellor, and yes, Adolf Eichmann.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have an "informal chat" over teams with a potential employer tomorrow. This is new to me. Am I right in thinking it's basically just a "first interview" and they're almost certainly going to have a long and protracted employment procedure off the back of this?

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cord View Post
    To stick up for middle managers a bit
    The hero we need.

And yeah, spikes, it's an 'is he a cunt' filter.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cord View Post
    I'm running a reasonably large department of people these days
    Do you shoo them in the back when they come asking for help?

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Floyd View Post
    The hero we need.

And yeah, spikes, it's an 'is he a cunt' filter.
    That and also it's a good chance for you to ask questions to see if it's worth the hassle of going through the whole process.

Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I feel like every week gets busier. I'm definitely doing something wrong.
    I'm a twit

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spikey M View Post
    I have an "informal chat" over teams with a potential employer tomorrow. This is new to me. Am I right in thinking it's basically just a "first interview" and they're almost certainly going to have a long and protracted employment procedure off the back of this?
    Yes. I had this. They ended up wanting me to do a six interview/presentation process to become a fucking contact centre advisor on 23k. Lolled it off.

Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I feel like every week gets busier. I'm definitely doing something wrong.
    Probably because you spend 90% of your week dossing off or working out how to plan your next dossing off so it builds up.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My mrs just had one in the form of a 'screening phone call', I think it is partly due to AI and CV writing services help beat the automated sift you end up with monosyllabic morons who can't wipe their own arse in the interview if you don't run the recruitment version of the Voight-Kampff test.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's a sad indictment of mental health services in this country that workplaces have to try to provide "mental health first aid" at all. If anyone suggested you had to have someone at work to diagnose and provide advice for employees physical illness, everyone would rightly think they were insane. I appreciate workplaces have people trained in physical first aid, but that's to provide the very basics when things acutely happen at work, it's not remotely the same.

Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by phonics View Post
    Probably because you spend 90% of your week dossing off or working out how to plan your next dossing off so it builds up.
    That is true, actually.

Got some county lines lived experience talk lined up for next Friday, for example.
    I'm a twit

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Didn't get promoted in this cycle. Seething.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Found out today I'm getting an 8% pay rise. Decent. Its (slightly) performance based. If you're shit it's 2-4%, doing your job steady it's 5-8%. Kissing arse, doing extra hours etc gets you 10%. Fuck doing the latter for 2% extra.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Our sales director called me today for substantial advice on a presentation he has to give to the South African big cheeses, even though there are about 6 people between me and him in the structure chart, all of whom have 'manager' in their title whereas I don't. He also called me 'the smartest guy in the room' the other day when introducing me to the new starter. I think I'm in the professional equivalent of the friendzone.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well done those receiving good news above and commiserations to Kiko. Next cycle!

I've also just been promoted, leading to a 14% pay bump (after a 4% increase in the summer) and 3 extra days of annual leave too. Glorious stuff.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How do these promotion cycles work?

We had our new (temp) CEO in the office today and he held a townhall where one (probably now former) employee decided to stand up with a pre prepared note and berate him for a decision he, the leadership team and the board made.

When the ceo then tried to respond/answer he was heckled and interrupted by the same person resulting in the ceo bickering on stage in front of everyone and those online.

Quite possibly the most awkward thing I’ve ever seen.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The new woman is the latest to do my head in because she can't deal with silence. If chat dies down even for two minutes, she starts being visibly restless and then saying things like 'Oh, I'm so tired, what about you?!' because her brain can't process the silence. Barney was a bit like this as well.

I fucking love silence.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It usually just means they talk too much.
    I'm claiming this as an e-victory.

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Foe View Post
    How do these promotion cycles work?

We had our new (temp) CEO in the office today and he held a townhall where one (probably now former) employee decided to stand up with a pre prepared note and berate him for a decision he, the leadership team and the board made.

When the ceo then tried to respond/answer he was heckled and interrupted by the same person resulting in the ceo bickering on stage in front of everyone and those online.

Quite possibly the most awkward thing I’ve ever seen.
    Lol who even cares enough to do this. Where's the apathy?

Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Couldn’t attend a team meeting today cos I have a regular meeting every Thursday at 1 and they keep inexplicably booking it for then. Unfortunately this meant I wasn’t present when they were looking for volunteers to sort out Christmas Jumper Day, and was kindly nominated by my colleagues.

Thankfully I’ve got my cute little sidekick now, so I was able to update the action tracker from my meeting while she signed up to Just Giving and printed out all the posters with the details on.

Colleagues 1 - 2 Baz
    I'm a twit

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’ve got my cute little sidekick
    You belong on every register.

Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged