52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They forgot to make the scarf scale

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So if scarves are in, maybe Baz can fulfil his dream and make MJF in FM.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I really need to make this guy's loan permanent.

I'll have to wait until his loan is done though as the future fee in his loan deal is £51m and they wont negotiate because why would they?

13 goals from 21(1) games from CM.
    Last edited by Sir Andy Mahowry; 26-10-2022 at 01:04 AM.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    They forgot to make the scarf scale
    Imagine that meeting in the offices...

"Ok, Dave you will be working on the AI tactics, Simon you are developing dynamic youth ratings, Lucy - get the regen devleopment a bit sharper, Gary - create a scarf that players can add to their avatar. See you in 9 months, lads".

Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Andy Mahowry View Post

13 goals from 21(1) games from CM.
    What role does he have set?
    I'm a twit

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Baz View Post
    What role does he have set?
    Mezzala on attack.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nordsjaelland's squad is even more mental on FM23.

Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Get them as your feeder club.
    I'm a twit

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Think they'll be my full save post-Beta.

Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Soldier View Post
    Set BPDs to Cover and put pressing at max. That is the best you will get.

Defence is just fucked though regardless.
    Did this and a quick holiday test with Wrexham default squad (predicted 1st)

Toggle Spoiler

Still absolutely diabolic defending.

Mullin scored 61 in 60 games wow.
    I'm a twit

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds alright to me. If you played two attacking wing backs in a back four and a roaming playmaker in real life with two attacking central midfielders and a high press, you'd concede a boat load.

Options I'd be looking at:
    -change your mentality to balanced
    -change RPM to DM or Half Back.
    -either switch your wing backs or central midfielders to support rather than attack - one of them needs to be covering the other when they go forward. You could do it assymetrically so that one full back supports and one attacks, and his 'partner' compliments him.
    -Turn off counter and counter press.
    -Change one BPD to a CD.
    Last edited by ScousePig; 26-10-2022 at 03:09 PM.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Baz View Post
    I can't sort out a defence for love nor money.

Had a test season with Asane in Norway for one reason and one reason only. We'll get to that... We were predicted to come 11th out of 16.

My tactic:
    I feel like a proper fossil asking this but what the fuck is the difference between AF, CF and PF? And what is a MEZ, RPM, CWB and BPD? I guess SK is Sweeper Keeper so I'm not completely ancient.

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ScousePig View Post
    Sounds alright to me. If you played two attacking wing backs in a back four and a roaming playmaker in real life with two attacking central midfielders and a high press, you'd concede a boat load.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Even Klopp isn't that expansive. DM instead of RPM and either two Carrlieros or a Carrilero and Mezzala on support.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben View Post
    I feel like a proper fossil asking this but what the fuck is the difference between AF, CF and PF? And what is a MEZ, RPM, CWB and BPD? I guess SK is Sweeper Keeper so I'm not completely ancient.
    An Advanced Forward will play extremely high up and not engage too much in build up play. He'll play off the last man and look to stretch the opposition defence and want balls in behind, so make sure you have players supporting him or he'll become isolated. A bit like what I expected Haaland to be like but he's a bit different under Guardiola.

A Pressing Forward has a range of duties but will generally harry and defend from the front. Like Diego Costa.

A Complete Forward will do a bit of everything so he needs good all round stats, including aerially. Think Ross Stewart.

A Mezzala is a central midfielder who will look to attack. The difference between a CM attack or BBM midfielder is that a Mezzala will drift wide into the half spaces/channels when attacking (like De Bruyne), so try not to have that space occupied by someone else (though they do often compliment inside forwards or inverted wingers quite well as one is running from inside out, and the other outside in).

A Roaming Playmaker is someone who your team will look to play through, just like a standard playmaker. The difference is he'll be a lot more mobile than a typical playmaker who can often be quite stationary, so he needs good physicals.

A Ball Playing Defender will take more risks with his passing than a regular central defender. However, all this really means is he'll attempt more long range passes that are less likely to come off than risky short passes to close-by teammates. So be wary of this role if you're trying to build out from the back.

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also a CWB is a Complete Wing Back. One who is equally adept at going forwards as he is defensively, however wants to be on the front foot pushing forwards. He'd also need to be quite physically gifted.

Someone like Trent Alexander-Arnold would not fit this as he doesn't have the ability to charge up and down and lacks something defensively. He is your traditional Wing Back.

An example of a CWB is more Reece James(Hi Waff). You perhaps lose some amount going forwards, but he's more physically gifted and a better defender, even though he still likes to move forwards.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Assuming that this is now the place for FM22 updates...

I finally continued my Arsenal save after barely playing for a few weeks.

Mission accomplished. It was very easy in the league as you can see, and winning the FA Cup means I can now move on. The Champions League was an added bonus, and we also won the FIFA Club World Cup in the summer. So the plan would be to find a job in Germany, France or Italy. However, plot twist...I've decided to stay.

Two reasons really. I signed loads of youngsters and I want to see them develop a bit, plus Arsenal already had some good players breaking through. Also, I'm fed up with playing 4-3-3, at least for the time being, as it's just too easy once you get to this level. So I had a fire sale:

Just focus on the highlighted players. Most of my established first teamers who were all the wrong side of 30, or approaching it. I generated well in excess of £300m and completely slashed the wage bill. My signings from January and over the summer:

A mixture of promising players and established first teamers, but all young with just a couple in their mid-twenties. Some of those went out on loan last season despite being Premier League standard already, and hardly any of those signed in January featured. Before the cull, I had decided to have a go at these two shapes as they fit the current players well.

However, once I made the changes I had to start again, and I've come up with these three:

As opposed to the bog standard 4-3-3:

I'll be keeping a close eye on things as the complete change in personnel and shape could backfire spectacularly. Here's my current squad:

I'm also now second in the English managers Hall of Fame, with Bob Paisley some way ahead.

Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

-either switch your wing backs or central midfielders to support rather than attack - one of them needs to be covering the other when they go forward. You could do it assymetrically so that one full back supports and one attacks, and his 'partner' compliments him.
    -Change one BPD to a CD.
    Cheers. Will give this a go.

I’m trying to get success with this formation as it should fit the TTH squad nicely, so hoping to get the tactic as solid as possible before 8th November.

Changing from DM to RPM seemed to revolutionise the whole thing though. Went from always getting 6 ratings to actually being involved with loads of goals and assists (from defensive midfield position blows my tiny mind) and decent ratings. I might make my player a RPM.

If we have an advanced forward with 20 finishing, it will be game breaking.
    Last edited by Baz; 26-10-2022 at 04:40 PM.
    I'm a twit

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

-Change one BPD to a CD.
    It doesn't matter what you play. The defence AI in the beta is absolutely flawed. You can pick any setting but CBs will still just stand there as forwards go past them, or run away from active through balls.

ram it up your shitpipe Giggles's Avatar
    Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It doesn't matter what you play. The defence AI in the beta is absolutely flawed. You can pick any setting but CBs will still just stand there as forwards go past them, or run away from active through balls.
    Does that really matter though? The way I always thought of it was the result was pre determined, to a sort of random extent based on whatever way it’s programmed, and the highlights were just some window dressing to make it seem a bit more realistic. Granted it would look better if the passage of play more closely matched real life, but the goal is going in regardless.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm with you, I'm fine with mistakes and all that jazz. Currently though the AI literally just stops working, it is actually broken.

There's clips of defenders on defend stay back running up to striker positions as the opposition attacks leaving them free on goal etc.

It just needs tweaking/fixing is all. All players make mistakes and that should be in the match engine but when it's near every game its beyond stupid, especially at the higher levels.

Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

-Change one BPD to a CD.
    Gonna try this:

Actually I've switched the complete forward to target forward cos I can't find any complete forwards.
    Last edited by Baz; 26-10-2022 at 07:27 PM.
    I'm a twit

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If as DS says it's fucked, then it might not make much difference. However, I'd be wary of having two centre backs on cover with what I assume is the old offside trap enabled. I only tend to play cover duty if the centre backs have very low aggression but read the game well (anticipation) and have acceleration good for the respective league (so 15-16 in the Premier League.

I'd keep an eye on the wing backs and make sure they're still working those wide channels enough, and you may find you have more of an overload on the left with the Mezzala.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I mainly use Cover as it is the only way to get CBs to do anything resembling pressing. But then I have 8 attack duties, 1 support and 2 defend.

Also almost had a nap during this shootout, won 19-18:

Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For context, when testing I spend about 30 minutes doing pre-season, buying the right players for the tactic while selling off everyone else who won't play to raise some money. Except for Wrexham where I did nothing cos I was at work. I then go on holiday for the whole season, with the tactic and starting XI set.

For Heerenveen I signed Adriano at left back, a target forward who also became captain, and the legend that is Ragnar Klavan.

We were predicted to come 8th from 18. They're currently 7th in real life. We scraped 4th.

Defence still a complete shambles, so Dark Soldier is definitely correct. Wrexham had the 3rd most conceded, but at least here we're only 4th worst. #progress

A few things to note here:
    - Amin Sarr is a beast. Not quite Paul Mullin numbers but 41 in 35 is still class.
    - Ciofani the Target Forward got 11 assists, so does seem more effective than the Complete Forward. Also easier to find!
    - Halilovic the Roaming Playmaker got 7 assists. I'll certainly take that
    - The Mezzala (Haye in this case) is usually the best player behind the Advanced Forward (Sarr) but it just wasn't the case here. In fact, the new Carrilero (Olsson) role performed better. Based on previous form, I'll keep these as is, but it will be weird if they somehow don't work well together.
    - Adrian (left wing back) got 14 assists, which is great. We only scored 6 from corners so it's not even massively skewed. I think I'll stick with Wing Back rather than Complete Wingback. The right back is just plain bad, hence less assists.
    I'm a twit

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The conversation system is still great.

Just wanted to say your recent form has been great, keep it up

OH YEAH I THINK YOU AND I DIFFER ON WHAT GREAT IS DICKHEAD

Ok, agree to disagree

NO THAT'S THE LAST STRAW, UR DEAD TO ME AND I WON'T FORGET THIS

*You have upset the entire squad*

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been conceding way less with these OIs every game, seems to put even more pressure on AI and you win the ball way more:

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A tale as old as time. I still prefer the Defend/No Comment/Criticise days but even that shits the occasional bed.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I mainly use Cover as it is the only way to get CBs to do anything resembling pressing. But then I have 8 attack duties, 1 support and 2 defend.

Also almost had a nap during this shootout, won 19-18:

Do you find the eight attack duties is overkill or wrecks the fluidity of your football? I went through a stage of trying to ensure I had five attack duties across the five channels when playing against a back four, then making it six against a back five, but ultimately realised it didn't really matter too much and I could add more.

Now I just try to ensure I have at least five, but as many as seven with my DM supporting (unless the opposition play two strikers in which case he'll become a half back) and two centre backs on defend. I tend to turn any attack/advanced playmakers into false nines and my inside forwards/inverted wingers will either be on attack or support - depending on whether I play with false nines or advanced forwards.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I find its beautiful to look at, especially this ME. Gegen + attack is still OP but im seeing some wonderful fluid forward play, they have definitely improved that part. All kinds of goals, including overhead kicks and mad volleys.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Baz, any quick striker who can also dribble and finish should score loads.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wullie View Post

Ok, agree to disagree

If they're on a 2+ year contract I'll just call them a cunt and then give them a new 5 contract when they decide to forgive me in 8-13 months.

During my Pogon Siedlce save in FM 22 I had a couple of guys who were mad at me from the July-May/June and then they'd keep signing a new contract during the months they didn't mind me.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Basically stuck with this now (BPDs on Cover), it plays as a 424 really but its so, so fun going forward. Its on FMBase (4114sirjur) alongside my 352sirjur for lesser teams.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wullie View Post

Ok, agree to disagree

Man management and motivation levels of your manager will help with this. I just end the conversation when they come out with that.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I find its beautiful to look at, especially this ME. Gegen + attack is still OP but im seeing some wonderful fluid forward play, they have definitely improved that part. All kinds of goals, including overhead kicks and mad volleys.
    That's good as it becomes a pain when you score the same goal over and over. Central midfield attack just marauding free through the middle is something they never seem to fix.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's good as it becomes a pain when you score the same goal over and over. Central midfield attack just marauding free through the middle is something they never seem to fix.
    That still happens but movement seems better. My strikers are scoring the majority and IFs work very well again. Two strikers is OP. Three is lacking, one is decent.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Basically stuck with this now (BPDs on Cover), it plays as a 424 really but its so, so fun going forward. Its on FMBase (4114sirjur) alongside my 352sirjur for lesser teams.
    That shape is identical to what I've landed on for Arsenal in my new season. Slightly different roles, duties and style, but similar principles.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That still happens but movement seems better. My strikers are scoring the majority and IFs work very well again. Two strikers is OP. Three is lacking, one is decent.
    I've preferred two false nines either side of an advanced froward than inside forwards for FM22, if you have the players. They play more as I'd want the wide forwards to, except they often don't track the full backs.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used to set outer strikers to man mark full backs in 22. Out of possession they sit on them then in possession they form the 3 centrally. Worked well.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've preferred two false nines either side of an advanced froward than inside forwards for FM22, if you have the players. They play more as I'd want the wide forwards to, except they often don't track the full backs.
    Currently utilizing this very front three in my current save ('22) and it's working wonders.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First choice keeper (Pierluigi Gollini) has been shocking this season. We will have games with an xG against us of sub 1 and he'll let in 3.

He has 3 clean sheets in 31 games and conceded a whopping 55 goals in those 31 games. In all the fancy goalkeeping charts he's the worst. His xG prevented is -9.2 with a save percentage of just 67.5%.

Decided to bench him for Charlie Setford who has now played 3 games. He has a clean sheet in all those games, xG prevented of 3.5 and an average rating of 7.37. Despite being so much worse on paper than Gollini.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can't have a keeper called Goal-Inny and expect anything other than catastrophe.

Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is what I have been rocking tactically

Main tactic. Used at home and when we are away against teams I expect us to beat.

Toggle Spoiler

Secondary tactic. Used away from home/after we get comfortable with the above.

Toggle Spoiler

Third I have been working on should we get promoted/need to become more defensive.

Toggle Spoiler

Media had us finishing 15th but here is the table Jan 2nd. We are about to lose two decent loans from midfield. The keeper is also only on loan until the end of the season and three players I need to replace them next season (should I stick to youth) are all pissed off. This is going to be fun.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Boydy View Post
    FM Mobile is like prime CM 01/02. I fucking love it.
    Could you give me a short review what’s good about it and what are the biggest downsides? Thinking of getting it, but I think most people compare it to the full game which I don’t have the time for. If the match engine is decent enough and you can have longish careers without it going to shit, I’d be happy enough with it.

Edit: I seem to have had the 17 version, but iirc that was too simple and easy.
    Last edited by Pen; 27-10-2022 at 12:24 PM.

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    2nd last game of the season with 2 of my best players out injured:-

Toggle Spoiler

Which left the league looking like this:-

Toggle Spoiler

And the final table as follows:-

Toggle Spoiler

Suiiiiiiiiiiiii

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not bad

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sampdoria 2023/24 Season Update:

Transfers In:

A lot of ins and outs so I'll spoiler the blocks, here are the free transfers:

Toggle Spoiler

The cash transfers:

Toggle Spoiler

Transfers Out:

We also had a few move on a free transfer. The big one there is Sabiri, he was a starting CM last year but at the end of the year he wanted a new contract and his demands were shit. We had Casadei sorted plus some new boys so I let him go.

League:

We were expected to be in another relegation battle but this team is now really quite good and if it wasn't for goalkeeper mistakes we could have finished 4th or 5th I feel.

Cup:

Played the kids in the third round as the first 11 were struggling for fitness and we had so many games in a short period of time (we keep getting games postponed due to a waterlogged pitch) so I threw it.

Squad:

It looks like we're losing Casadei this year as Chelsea are saying they want to give him a chance and he's not interested in a permanent move. The only other loanee I want to bring back is Couto as he's played well this year. Casadei is the best player in this team right now and it's going to be hard replacing his goals from midfield. The other star is Moleiro who is wanted by some big clubs so he might be going too.

Youth Intake:

Forgot to do this last year so these are the best from this intake and the year before:

Toggle Spoiler

Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Waffdon View Post
    And the final table as follows:-

Toggle Spoiler

Suiiiiiiiiiiiii
    27 conceded? Please share your tactic you absolute wizard.

Quote Originally Posted by Waffdon View Post
    Finally managed to get a tactic that works:

Toggle Spoiler
    Still this? Or made any tweaks?
    I'm a twit

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Winning the league with Southampton in year two suggests the improvements to AI management are poppycock.

Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Or Waff is a wizard.
    I'm a twit