Page 170 of 581 FirstFirst ... 70120160168169170171172180220270 ... LastLast
Results 8,451 to 8,500 of 29008

Thread: Coronavirus Death Thread

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by John Arne View Post
    I'm not so sure that it's the city size that's the biggest factor (though it's still a massive factor once the virus has arrived). China has something like 70 1m+ cities, it's more the transfer of people in those cities. New York and London have a bazillion people arriving into them from around world everyday, whereas Chongqing and it's 30,000,000 inhabitants receive about 7 international visitors a week.
    While you're not wrong with your main point, i just want to point out that i HATE when people talk about China city population statistics. Chongqing, for instance, has about the same population as London (~8 million) but someone (I'm guessing the patriotic wing of the Chinese census bureau) loves counting the entire municipality population when calculating how many people live in a city. For Chongqing, the 30 million figure is from an area literally the size of Scotland. If you look at Google Maps and overlay the proposed the city limits it's clear that they're massively inflated.

They've got a shitload of people and a shitload of megacities but this is often overlooked

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On the vaccine subject again, you'd be mental not to get it.

Yeah it is rushed, but that is not necessarily a bad thing. There's a lot of red tape and delays to the process which make it take so long. As long as the amount of humans tested with the vaccine is big enough to test rare events (say 1 in 1000 or 10000), you're definitely good to go.

And as for mutations, that is also not necessarily indicative of the vaccine not working. You identify a common structure among all known mutations (eg the spike protein) and you target that specifically. This should ensure an immune response, no matter which strain of the virus you encounter in the real world.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The crucial thing about vaccines is that you should get them if you can because it helps protect those that can't have them. Before herd immunity became a meme it's what protected the unvaccinated, they simply aren't likely to come into contact with the various diseases. As soon as you get too many wankers thinking their kids can skip the MMR because reasons you get outbreaks.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank Andrew Wakefield. The wanker.

The Artist Formerly Known as Taz
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The vaccine can go in the same bin as the flu jab as far as I'm concerned. Out of interest, what conditions would prevent people from having the vaccine if they felt they needed it?

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Having a shit bob haircut.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 7om View Post
    On the vaccine subject again, you'd be mental not to get it.

Yeah it is rushed, but that is not necessarily a bad thing. There's a lot of red tape and delays to the process which make it take so long. As long as the amount of humans tested with the vaccine is big enough to test rare events (say 1 in 1000 or 10000), you're definitely good to go.
    Why would you, as an individual, be mental not to get a vaccine against a virus that poses little to no risk to you personally?

The language around this all smells a bit like remainers talking to and about Brexit voters, and if one thing is certain that is definitely not the way to win them over.

It's also going to have to be given to, what, 40 million people? 1 in 10,000 bringing a rare event on is not good enough, let alone 1 in 1000.
    Last edited by Yevrah; 14-05-2020 at 12:59 PM.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yevrah View Post
    Why would you, as an individual, be mental not to get a vaccine against a virus that poses little to no risk to you personally?

The language around this all smells a bit like remainers talking to and about Brexit voters, and if one thing is certain that is definitely not the way to win them over.

It's also going to have to be given to, what, 40 million people? 1 in 10,000 bringing a rare event on is not good enough, let alone 1 in 1000.
    For the exact reason why we are cooped up now. It's not necessarily the risk to you. It's others as well.

The 1 in 10000 is a standard measure of rare events in vaccine research. It's the gold standard.

More successful than most Magic's Avatar
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For the exact reason why we are cooped up now. It's not necessarily the risk to you. It's others as well.

The 1 in 10000 is a standard measure of rare events in vaccine research. It's the gold standard.
    Yes, correct me if I'm wrong but the asymptomatic % of people carrying is higher than any other virus/disease?

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Magic View Post
    Yes, correct me if I'm wrong but the asymptomatic % of people carrying is higher than any other virus/disease?
    I've seen wild estimates of asymptomatic infections, so I really don't know the answer. There clearly is a percentage but what that is I don't think we know definitively.

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've seen wild estimates of asymptomatic infections, so I really don't know the answer. There clearly is a percentage but what that is I don't think we know definitively.
    I saw 50% bandied about somewhere. Point is you're right, the vaccines would be there to protect the vulnerable directly and indirectly. Have to be pretty selfish not to take it.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    People have been selfish since this whole thing started. You're all in cloud cuckoo land if you think that's going to change when a vaccine rocks up.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    People have been selfish since this whole thing started. You're all in cloud cuckoo land if you think that's going to change when a vaccine rocks up.
    It's easier to go and get a free vaccine than to abide by strict lockdown rules for months. People will do it. Enough people at least to reach herd immunity

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Depends on how the vaccine protects the vulnerable. If it's great then guess there's less of a need for everyone to get vaccinated. It's the long term implications I'd be worried about if they do rush it, so as I'm fit and healthy I'll let the vulnerable people I know get vaccined up them maybe wait a few years until they grow fourteen arms and shit before considering.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mugbull View Post
    It's easier to go and get a free vaccine than to abide by strict lockdown rules for months. People will do it. Enough people at least to reach herd immunity
    It's easier to sit on your arse than go and buy all of the toilet roll, but people still did that.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    People are selfish, which is exactly why vaccination should be mandatory, along with organ donation while we're at it.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We can barely get people to eat their vegetables for their own health. Now we are asking people to get vaccinated for the health of others.
    Going to be tall order. But only because humans are the worst.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are we not asking them to get vaccinated so it will be safe to have any kind of life again? An easier sell perhaps.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Disco View Post
    People are selfish, which is exactly why vaccination should be mandatory, along with organ donation while we're at it.
    Definitely think you should have to opt out of donating organs rather than in.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    These lockdown protesters heading out anyway obviously aren't scared of dying or bothered about who the virus gets passed onto, so there's a whole bunch who won't bother getting vaccinated.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's easier to sit on your arse than go and buy all of the toilet roll, but people still did that.
    I mean assuming the vaccine is mandatory.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Disco View Post
    100%

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I keep meaning to opt out of that organ theft racket. I'll wait until we're back to normal in case a Key Worker needs one.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The ONS reckon 0.27% of the country (outside of the NHS and carers) have been infected over the last 2 weeks.

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulat...gland14may2020

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spikey M View Post
    The ONS reckon 0.27% of the country (outside of the NHS and carers) have been infected over the last 2 weeks.

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulat...gland14may2020
    So what?

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So what?
    It's information you cunt, do what you will with it.

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's information you cunt, do what you will with it.
    That's what I meant. Is it good or bad. Don't just post random shite without forcing your uneducated, worthless take on what it means down my throat. Prick.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's what I meant. Is it good or bad. Don't just post random shite without forcing your uneducated, worthless guess on the subject. Prick.
    In my opinion, you cunt, it seems pretty fucking high when everyone has been on lockdown for the past 2 months and I can't see how that isn't going to skyrocket when everyone starts milling about.

It's roughly 1 in 400 people, isn't it? 1 in 400 of us has had it just in the last 2 weeks. Or is my maths that shit?

Cunt.

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good work both.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This crisis has really brought out the best in this place.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mugbull View Post
    While you're not wrong with your main point, i just want to point out that i HATE when people talk about China city population statistics. Chongqing, for instance, has about the same population as London (~8 million) but someone (I'm guessing the patriotic wing of the Chinese census bureau) loves counting the entire municipality population when calculating how many people live in a city. For Chongqing, the 30 million figure is from an area literally the size of Scotland. If you look at Google Maps and overlay the proposed the city limits it's clear that they're massively inflated.

They've got a shitload of people and a shitload of megacities but this is often overlooked
    Your way is not that accurate either. For example Athens as a municipality has 700k odd people, but anyone that's been there will tell you that the actual city is much much bigger than the municipality. Same with Paris. It's very densely populated way beyond the municipality limits, so you can't go around saying "but Paris only has 2.1 million people" because that's just not the case.

Edit: I understand that the case of Chongding is different, but you get my point.
    Last edited by Adramelch; 14-05-2020 at 05:54 PM.

ram it up your shitpipe Giggles's Avatar
    Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This clapping shit on Sky One is some load of bollocks.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This week I clapped for deceased former Birmingham City hitman, Christian 'Chucho' Benitez. Why not try and bring him back? It can't harm.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Worst kept secret in Brum was that him and Garry O’Connor were massive cokeheads.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Charlie Brookers AntiViral Wipe is on BBC2.

ram it up your shitpipe Giggles's Avatar
    Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Charlie Brookers AntiViral Wipe is on BBC2.
    His opening joke bits were that poor I put on the news.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was just thinking that was the best Barry Shitpeas and Philomena Cunk had ever been, drawing a couple of smiles each, then it carried on about six times longer and by the end it was comfortably the worst they'd ever been.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I dunno, Philomena has been pretty good.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't mind the wipes, but there is always the feel of them being a really sub-standard Brass Eye, particularly when it comes to the 'contributors'.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh good, they're back. Off it goes.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Philomena is doing an Ali G bit.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All of this improvised lockdown telly has been absolutely unbearable shit, to the point where they must just be doing it in case we forget who they are.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, sorry lads.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Luke Johnson has absolutely donned QT. Taz will have covered his ceiling.

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just finished Newswipe and you lot are being harsh, it was a solid effort. The problem is the real life shit is beyond satire and jokes have been done due to focus on it.

Will bang on QT now.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, thought wipe was alright. Barry Shitpeas was crap, but probably a bit better than he normally is.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Luke Johnson was good on QT, but so was the Scottish scientific advisor.

Government ineptitude and our advisors being crap really is the problem here.

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Luke put some good points in, not least stickin it to the public sector protected cunts mouthin off about extending lockdown from their untouchable throne.

My current thinking evolved today into a possible theory that I may take up upon further consideration...the government are on my side, smart enough to know lockdown extensions are retarded and shit needs reopening asap but also aware that people are retards.

In order to maximise people's compliance to social distancing which is going to be essential to the next 12 months minimum, drip feeding us freedoms is the only way to make sure people understand the severity and behave as such once they're let out like the animals they are. This is their potty training period.

On that note, it was carnage round my lake today. This weekend could be more viral than Stefan Postma and that's before I start the MK branch of the Freedom Party Festival.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If this goes on for too much longer I'm going to become militant against public sector workers and people on furlough. Just yesterday one of my furloughed colleagues messaged me saying she's happy 'living like a bum' on 80%. Meanwhile, my sister works for the Scottish government and is sitting at home 'working', because they can't be furloughed, but hasn't done a single minute of work for three weeks. No wonder all the lefties are carping about extending lockdown.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the test of Universal Basic Income