User Tag List

Page 15 of 19 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Football Manager 2018

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The dream is to eventually have a Brazilian team that sound like they could all be from Emmerdale. Arthur, Fred, Allan, Malcom, the lot.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Half my team are permanently wanted by Madrid and/or Barcelona. Parasites, fuck off.

EDIT: Also half the teams in the league play fucking 5 at the back, 2 defensive midfielders and some token nobend striker isolated up front against me. It's a pain.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dianmo 2022/23 review:

League:

Easy enough and I was able to give the youth some decent game time.

Domestic cup:

Again, easy and plenty of games for the youth.

EUROPE:

I've given some updates throughout but here is how it all ended:

Every time we drew someone I thought we'd lose and I thought we were done for when we lose 4-3 to Swansea (they scored 2 in the first 5 minutes and looked like they were going to fist us) before we came back.

The final then, saw us take on Arsenal at Schalke's stadium.

Toggle Spoiler

Team stats:

Shout out to wing backs who murder babies on their days off. Despite being on 'EASY TACKLING', Stojanovic got 16 yellows and 2 reds with Lecjaks getting 17 yellows and 2 reds. The number of reds would have been through the roof but I started taking them off in games when they had a yellow. Lecjaks doesn't seem to have form but Stojanovic is a fucking batshit, here are his discipline stats for the previous 3 seasons:

15 yellows, 1 red
    9 yellows, 3 reds
    8 yellows, 4 reds

The guy needs to be fucking locked up.

Wesley Alex 55 goals and 32 assists from the hero which beats his tally from the year in Honduras. He seems to be in the right place almost all the time. I also want to praise Battini and Zougah who have already taken over in the first team. I first tried Battini up front (natural MC/AMC/ST) but he was dogshit so I put him at MC and he has thrived, especially next to Zougah, they're going to be special.

Awards:

Euro player of the year:

Euro team of the year:

£10m in the bank and the club has just started to upgrade youth facilities. I have 2 transfers already secured and I've already got my keeper (Rakovsky) and one of the murderers (Lecjaks) going but I feel like there might be a bit of an overhaul.

Edit: Wesley Alex:

Hero.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm in Croatia as well, but with Rijeka and it feels as if it's a bit too easy. Dinamo are crap this season though which makes it easier for sure. And boy is there a ton of high-valued youths. I even sold a couple of first teamers to the tune of 7-8 million just to play kids.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah Croatia have a terrific youth rating for the number of pro clubs, so if you have an even vaguely competent academy you should be getting at least one decent player through every year.

When I was Dinamo I thought the game was fucking me in the first couple of years but it turned out my first couple of prospects were just slow developers.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just sort of decided to scrap my first season here and play some kids a lot so they develop. We're still leading the league still, so it feels like it was a good decision.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I didn't realise that Santacruz had a low (£4.2m) release clause and every fucker is in for him

Hopefully he accepts a new contract but I doubt it.

Edit:

Fucking Bologna

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Transfers out:

I tried to push a few more out the door and I had to accept a little lower than I'd have liked for some but not too bad. Obviously losing Santacruz for peanuts is a real kick in the dick too.

Transfers in:

£5m, probably wont get so many starts but it just adds another option to the rotation that will be happening for the third striker spot.

£4.3m. I was really hoping to secure a loan deal for him in Croatia but he rejected them all. Hopefully he'll be more receptive to the idea in January, although he will get some games here.

£4.1m. Doubt he's going to be anything special but I needed a body at CB.

£500k. He's instantly coming in to be the number 1 but I do think the 16 year old Croatian I got in the intake last year will end up taking over.

Champions League:

Easy path into the groups which is what I was hoping for. Here is our reward for making it to the group stage:

Looks bad on paper but it's actually not too bad. Barca aren't that much of a force now, they came third in their group last year with Bayern, Milan and Basel before losing to Roma on away goals in the Europa knockouts. They've actually come third in 3 of the 6 groups they've been in on my save winning the CL once and losing in the final another time.

Fenerbache have not won a knockout game (in either competition) on my save and lost 5 of 6 group matches (Madrid, Napoli, Leverkusen) last year.

Inter have only had 1 good run in Europe on my save and came third in their group the last 2 seasons.

So third, third and fourth last year in the Champions League. Between them they won 7 games, drew 2 and lost 15 games in Europe last year. We won 18 and lost 3.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Finished my first season at Rijeka:

It was quite easy for the most part, what with Dinamo being a massive disappointment. Winning the league was sort of par for the course, seeing as we were last season's champions as well (their manager left to manage Salzburg). But it was a welcome surprise given that I sold quite a few first team players and promoted youngsters in their place.

We also reached the Champions League playoffs where Celtic beat us 5-4 on aggregate, although I thought we bested them over the two legs (see aforementioned 2-4 defeat where they had all of 3 shots on target). We had quite a tough draw in the Europa League with Marseille, Malaga and Qarabag. We held our own, demolishing Qarabag twice and beating Malaga at our place but it wasn't enough to see us through. We also failed to progress far into the Croatian Cup, losing to Hajduk on penalties in the quarters.

Squad stats:

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The fuck has even happened here?

He's done alright but four players have done better than him in the squad and he didn't even make the team of the year. His rep is only two and a half stars ffs.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Another way too easy league title. Dinamo were better than last season but still quite bad really. The highlight of the season were Istra however, who got taken over by a tycoon, spent about 10 million euros on transfers, paying twice as much as Dinamo in wages and still barely escaping relegation, through the relegation playoff.

We coupled the title with a cup (and super cup) win (both against Hajduk).

The main news of the season was that we made it to the Champions League proper after knocking out Kairat (Kazakhstan), APOEL, Slavia Prague and Club Brugge to get there (winning every single game in the process). We got handed a group of Real, Arsenal and Benfica and proceeded to gather a grand total of 0 points, with 4 goals for and 20 against. At least we definitely held our own at home, narrowly losing every game by 1 goal and I genuinely thought we were good value for 4-5 points.

I think this was my last season with Rijeka. I was thinking of maybe staying a little longer, developing some yoofs and whatnot, but it's a bit of a boring league really so I'll see my contract out and look for another job in the summer.

I also briefly took over Serbia, gathered 4 points in a group with Spain and Sweden (who are very high in the rankings), which really should have been 7-9 and then promptly got sacked (even though the expectation was to not get embarassed).

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You're taking a parallel route to my last two big saves, the second of which was my only save on the last version. I took Dinamo, you took Rijeka. I managed OFK Beograd in Serbia, you took the national side.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    You're taking a parallel route to my last two big saves, the second of which was my only save on the last version. I took Dinamo, you took Rijeka. I managed OFK Beograd in Serbia, you took the national side.
    Last version at some point in my J'man save, I managed Partizan and Croatia at the same time so it felt a bit funny that I got to do the reverse (even if briefly) this time around.

Serbia had all of 1 winger worthy of getting picked. At least he was one of the best players in the world, but I play a very winger-centric tactic and playing strikers on the wings didn't really work.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How far in are you?

The Serbian league is decent fun, if only for the novelty factor of their league split system, where everyone's points are cut in half with a few games to go and the league splits, so a team with a considerably worse overall record could win the league if they win the right games. It's almost American in its madness.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My aim this weekend is to get QPR up. We’re top at Christmas in League One

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How far in are you?

The Serbian league is decent fun, if only for the novelty factor of their league split system, where everyone's points are cut in half with a few games to go and the league splits, so a team with a considerably worse overall record could win the league if they win the right games. It's almost American in its madness.
    8 seasons in. 1 in Hungary, 2 in Scotland, 3 in England and 2 in Croatia.

Belgium and Austria have the same playoff structure if I recall correctly.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've just SMASHED my transfer record

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Transfers out:

The big one there is Succar. He was our 3rd striker going into the season but he's barely featured this year due to Camus, Holan (both pictured in an earlier post) and a chap who was listed as our hot prospect when I joined the club.

Transfers in:

£500k although he's been loaned back to his old club. I feel that he could be good.

£950k and I have high hopes for him too. They both are quite natural advanced forwards which is good for me.

£275k and he's mainly a backup guy as I realised I don't have too many options at MC as I had cleared most of them out.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The fucking big one. Produced by Zadar in 2022/23 and bought by PSG for £3m in July 2023. I'm gutted that I didn't spot him prior to that as he's cost me a staggering £45m. I paid £15m up front with a further £30m in instalments to be paid. It's a ludicrous amount but he looks solid as fuck and he's arguably our second best CB right now. It's far too much but PSG really didn't want to sell him and I should have just waited.

It did create this too:

Youth intake and I get this beast:

Which is fantastic as he's already our best WBR.
    Last edited by Sir Andy Mahowry; 10-03-2018 at 12:59 AM.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So that Krecak is a mad bastard.

I play him in a European game and he gets sent off, he then plays in our league game a few days later and gets sent off again.

For some reason my WBL and WBR are card magnets even though they are on easy tackling :\

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So after I left Rijeka, I applied for a host of different jobs, but nothing unrealistic (I was a 3.5 star manager applying for 3-4 star jobs) and got rejected by basically everyone, with them often opting to go for 2.5 star managers. Something seems weird in the interview process really. Anyway, Croatia approached me and I thought I might as well get a year off and play some international football. Those were our results:

A very impressive qualifying campaign, followed by a strong performance in the World Cup group stage, but unfortunately the draw meant that we would face Brazil in the knockout rounds. We actually played pretty well and we were value for extra time/penalties but their finishing was on point, while ours wasn't, so out we went. I decided to resign after that (that was the plan from the moment I took over anyway). I applied for a few jobs that were available and I ended up at:

Werder Bremen that is. They've been bouncing between the Bundesliga and the 2nd division for about a decade now and they recently returned to the top tier this season. So my task is fairly straightforward: "Don't get relegated". The squad was relatively poor, apart from a couple of star players, so I had to bring in a total of 9 players, with 6 of them going straight into the first XI. Those two are the cream of the crop:

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like that striker. How much did he set you back?

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like that striker. How much did he set you back?
    Just 2.4 million euros (with about 1m extra on clauses). He scored 4 goals in our first 2 games and then proceeded to get injured for 2 months, on international duty.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How does everybody feel about this year's version by the way? It feels like a downgrade to me, but the game has had a downwards trajectory in general over the last few years in my opinion.

ram it up your shitpipe Giggles's Avatar
    Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Adramelch View Post
    How does everybody feel about this year's version by the way? It feels like a downgrade to me, but the game has had a downwards trajectory in general over the last few years in my opinion.
    The only big one for me is the mess they made of scouting which is part of the game I liked the most. I've played it a bit but once you hand that off to staff too, it really feels like I'm not playing the game at all. I'm just hitting continue and instant result, it's like the mobile game now.

The other stuff they need to fix like media, etc are so broken for so long that there's no point in hoping it'll ever be fixed.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Scouting has long been part of the game I least enjoyed. That's what sent me down the youth system only route. I haven't bothered buying it this year though, and I doubt I will. I still enjoy my Beograd save when I get the urge to play FM so there's a small chance I'll never buy another one.

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You'd definitely not enjoy it now then. About 30 reports, which are really badly laid out, landing together into your inbox every few days that you've to 'OK' or 'Discard'. God knows why they just don't go into a list of your scouted players without discarding anything.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Giggles View Post
    You'd definitely not enjoy it now then. About 30 reports, which are really badly laid out, landing together into your inbox every few days that you've to 'OK' or 'Discard'. God knows why they just don't go into a list of your scouted players without discarding anything.
    My favourite is the one where they're not even scouted to begin with. They're just there.

I'm mostly paying attention to the match engine and it just feels like it never improves and it just cycles through a couple of gimmicks every version.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dinamo 2023/24 review:

League:

Can't really ask for much more than going undefeated. There were a few strange draws in there but overall there was nothing to stop us.

Cup:

We set a new record for goals scored thanks to those first 2 games and then the reserves just ran out of steam.

Europe:

Disgustingly we drew 4-4 with Inter at home (we were 4-1 up and I went for a piss thinking we'd casually ease to victory) and 1-1 with Fener. We lost out to Inter in the group by just 1 point so it stings a hell of a lot.

This was a nice consolation though as we managed to go one better than last year. The final was such a nervy experience though. we missed a penalty in the first half, had a player (the mental youth wing back) sent off and then we missed the first penalty before my keeper saved their next two.

European awards:

Team stats:

The mental twat had 3 reds and 2 yellows in only 22 games.

Also, as it's been a while here are individual screenshots of my first team plus a select few:

I was a little nervous with him being our number 1 due to his age (GK is the only one that I'm not fully alright with) but he was brilliant.

The only non-regen that still gets games for us. I keep thinking that I'll sell him the next Summer but I never do despite a heap of others. He's too good for us.

The first of my former Olimpia players and he's our rock. Easily our best CB and I'm surprised he hasn't kicked up a fuss about leaving yet.

Our record signing and he did well when he came in.

Played a lot prior to Tadic joining but still gets quite a few games.

Another former Olimpia player and he's really not kicked on at all. I've been busy training him up as a WBL so he can get more matches which is where he plays most of the time but I think I'm prepared to cut him.

The axe murderer. He's easily our best wing back option but he needs to CALM THE FUCK DOWN.

I guess he's our main option at WBL but he's pretty shit.

I want to sell him since getting Krecak but we've got no one else and I need someone for when Krecak is suspended.

I saw him as a striker when he joined but he struggled to finish. At MC he's been a fucking revelation, he just runs everything.

Our former record transfer and he's come along nicely. He plays almost all games now.

Not sure why he's come out so white as he's black on my game but whatever. Hasn't played much for us as he goes out on loan.

I didn't expect him to feature much this season but he was only outperformed by Wesley Alex.

The absolute don.

He went out on loan in my previous seasons but I kept him around as he had improved a lot. He can go missing in games at times but when he's on it he's deadly.

He did well last year but I expected more as he was outplayed by everyone else at the position.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why would you see Battini as a striker when his best stats are teamwork and vision?

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well it was more that we needed a body there more than midfield at the time of buying him. He was also scouted at striker and his media description is striker so I was more hoping he'd fit there than anything.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He's also a midget. If I put a midget up front, I want him to at least be a lethal finisher which isn't the case here.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Giggles View Post
    There’s an option somewhere to get your cheif scout to look at the 30 reports and just tell you the best one to look at.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd missed that. For fuck sake Mahow.

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    There’s an option somewhere to get your cheif scout to look at the 30 reports and just tell you the best one to look at.
    I found that for the last game I started and it's a godsend, though it's yet another thing that makes it feel like you're not playing any more then. It used to be so much more usable and better.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I thought it for only like one in game month/2-3 games.

I wanted him to be a godly striker but then realised it wouldn't happen.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just conceded this equaliser against Bayern:

Paused the replay at the time of the pass. Ball was passed to the circled player. Apparently he isn't offside.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They used the shit VAR lines for that.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #realism

We proceded to lose 6-1, which I definitely attribute to the bad call.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fuck the Olympics and fuck players rejecting the only offer they have.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a player who won't sign a contract because he's unhappy about the lack of first team football. He's started 16 of our 22 games so far, and has also featured in 5 more as a sub.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I really hope he's listed as a backup or rotation too just to make it even worse.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sweet.

The board had accepted two big bids for Makarun £27m and I had resigned myself to losing him but they gave me final say right at the end.

Edit: The team he was about to move to came back with a bigger offer and the board accepted but listened when I kicked up a fuss \0/.

Fuck off he's mine.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fuck you all.

Edit:

Last edited by Sir Andy Mahowry; 13-03-2018 at 02:07 AM.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Andy Mahowry View Post
    I really hope he's listed as a backup or rotation too just to make it even worse.
    Rotation indeed.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My defence is so fucking abysmal. They are all "good second division" players and boy does it show.

I have just conceded 4 goals from a corner in a single half and it's your standard "the ball bounces around until it ends up in the net" thingy that seems prevalent in this version. I never had that problem with the same tactic in previous teams so I can only assume it's my defence. Strong focus on defending set pieces from now on I guess.

Edit: I call it the "Liverpool approach":

Last edited by Adramelch; 13-03-2018 at 12:05 PM.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Transfers in:

Only £16.75k and I think he's going to be quite good. Only problem is that my game had a hard Brexit and he counts as a non-EU.

£5m, I need to get his composure up but he looks like he could be a bonkers finisher.

£5.25m and our second transfer from Auxerre (Poirier also came from them), I don't really need a keeper but my scouts were raving about him.

£2.5m which is a bit hefty but I've been hoovering up any semi-decent natural WBL's as I need them.

£1.3m and he's incredibly raw but scouts are high on him too. Could be a glorious finisher in the future.

£1.1m and largely bought for future profit as I can't see him getting games at the club.

£120k, bought as I need DC bodies and he'll be loan bait for a bit.

£4m and another potential clinical striker with some holes right now. Hopefully like the other two those will be filled in.

Transfers out:

Well the main transfers out were Ante Coric who I've been trying to sell for a couple of years now, Romein who I brought with me from Olimpia as he hadn't really kicked on, Andreev for the same reason and then Velasquez, Diallo and Ojeda. I was planning on selling Diallo as I remembered about Alioune Camara for backup (I recalled him after selling Diallo) but wasn't planning on Velasquz or Ojeda. I good good offers for both though so accepted them.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's nice to play in a normal league for a change. So far I had either played in leagues where you face each team 4 times (Scotland/Croatia) or leagues with a shitload of games (League 1/2). With that said, I took over Werder Bremen at the start of the season, after they just got back to the Bundesliga and my task was simple: Don't get relegated. And it became obvious from the first few games that we didn't really need to worry about relegation.

I knew we could do better than the media prediction (17th), but I didn't really expect us to end up getting a Europa spot. I have to say it was most definitely one of the weirdest (if not the weirdest) seasons I've had in this game. Each game was like gambling, you never knew which Werder Bremen was going to turn up. The one that scored the 4th most goals in the league, or the one that conceded the 3rd most? Often it was both, as evidenced by our 2 (!) 5-5 draws. We scored 4+ goals in 6 games and conceded 4+ goals in 5. At the very least, our games were entertaining to watch. It's pretty clear that we have to essentially overhaul our whole defence if we want to improve from here on out.

Here's the squad stats:

Cohen delivered with the goals, although he missed a big part of the campaign due to injuries (which is a risk I took when I signed him, as my scouts said he's injury prone) and Olivari also shone whenever he was available (he's not meant to be injury prone, but he got injured a lot too). Holse is that "jack of all trades, master of none" type of player. He doesn't really excel at anything, but can do pretty much everything you ask him to as you can see:

Honorable mentions go to Nikolic (whom you might recognise from Rijeka, I signed him in January), Schneider and Friedrichs, who all covered for injuries and often carried the team on their own (eg Schneider's hat-trick in the first 20 minutes of the game against Dortmund).

@Sir Andy Mahowry: Coric left Dinamo for 9 million in my save and then moved for 30 million to his next club. He was also in my first XI when I was managing Croatia, but he mostly featured as a 10, which I don't think you use in your formation.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah he didn't fit and the offers just weren't coming in, I knew he'd be worth more (he's valued at £6.75m now) but I just couldn't squeeze more.

Seems to be harder to sell this year too, especially to sneak in future clauses.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ye it does seem harder. I mean I have no problem struggling to sell players that I don't think are good enough for my team, but the players that are actually good and they just don't fit my tactics should be easier to sell.