Page 64 of 581 FirstFirst ... 1454626364656674114164564 ... LastLast
Results 3,151 to 3,200 of 29008

Thread: Coronavirus Death Thread

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mugbull View Post
    “To be fair to flat earthers, I’d like to see any of you explain the laws of planetary motion”
    Which you could, cause there are laws that govern their motion, although I am not sure what the orbit of Mars has to to with flat earthers.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yevrah View Post
    https://www.buzzfeed.com/alexwickham...virus-approach

All of us that doubted the experts were right, they weren't listening to each other. The twats.
    While the crisis that Johnson faces is undoubtedly unprecedented, there is significant criticism of Number 10’s handling of the situation across the government and the Conservative Party. Chief among them is the view — expressed by several ministers and Tory MPs to BuzzFeed News over the last few days — that Johnson and his chief aide Dominic Cummings have effectively “outsourced” the government’s decision-making process to Vallance, the chief medical officer Chris Whitty, and a small team of scientific advisers.

While Downing Street’s deference to the experts won plaudits early on, this approach has turned out to be lacking, the ministers and MPs said, because the scientists themselves disagreed on what to do. One minister said that it was then the political responsibility of Johnson and Number 10 to decide which scientists to back, but described a “vacuum of leadership” among aides.

Now let's imagine the reverse of that. This is what I meant about these dickheads only being able to comprehend this through their usual bullshit frameworks of Kremlinology and snarky cuntery. If we're enacting 'wartime powers' then they all want rounding up and preferably shooting.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I thought that scientists were a uniform body that always agrees on everything.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pepe View Post
    I think four years of selectively citing 'experts' to criticise Brexit has genuinely led them all to think there is a consensus approach to everything.

Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What are people finding so bad about staying indoors? Infact, it’s not even staying indoors, it’s just avoiding people you don’t live with.

I’ve done two days working from home, and kept my daughter out of nursery so she’s been there, but it’s been great. And I imagine it would be even better if I was on my own. Sat in the garden for a bit, played World Of Warcraft, watched anything on TV that wasn’t Coronavirus-related (including the Minions film on both days), while mulling over spreadsheets, responding to emails, and drinking copious amounts of tea. It’s great.

Might be early days now, and I might miss the office bantz in the long run, but realistically I just tolerate most people and am happy as larry not seeing anyone. It’s brilliant.

I still think it’s being blown out of proportion how bad this thing is, but I guess you can’t argue with the numbers. I’m glad my job is so flexible and I’m able to work from home. From monday I don’t even need to clock in and out so not even got that to worry about. I can start work at 10, have 2 hours break for my dinner and finish at 4, and that’s fine. What’s not to like, on that front?

So long as I don’t get too relaxed, and actually stay on top of my work, this could be a very comfortable life and I hope to introduce working from home more regularly once this has all blown over. And I’ll have no toddler there to keep interrupting me to take her for a poo.

So long as nobody I know dies (my mums pretty vulnerable and my nan is dead old) it could be pretty good for me, from a selfish point of view.
    I'm a twit

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pepe View Post
    Which is why it was so important for their reasons as to why they were doing things to be properly challenged and explained. They weren't.

Hell, even when there is a broad consensus it can still be bullshit. I was fighting against the instinctively moronic logic of not shutting down flights on page 1 of this thread. Which almost everyone has now done.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You've got work to get on with. If I was working from home, I'd be in a much better spot. Instead it's just time and not enough ways to fill it. You forget how to waste time as an adult, I feel.

ram it up your shitpipe Giggles's Avatar
    Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Baz View Post
    What are people finding so bad about staying indoors? Infact, it’s not even staying indoors, it’s just avoiding people you don’t live with.

I’ve done two days working from home, and kept my daughter out of nursery so she’s been there, but it’s been great. And I imagine it would be even better if I was on my own. Sat in the garden for a bit, played World Of Warcraft, watched anything on TV that wasn’t Coronavirus-related (including the Minions film on both days), while mulling over spreadsheets, responding to emails, and drinking copious amounts of tea. It’s great.

Might be early days now, and I might miss the office bantz in the long run, but realistically I just tolerate most people and am happy as larry not seeing anyone. It’s brilliant.

I still think it’s being blown out of proportion how bad this thing is, but I guess you can’t argue with the numbers. I’m glad my job is so flexible and I’m able to work from home. From monday I don’t even need to clock in and out so not even got that to worry about. I can start work at 10, have 2 hours break for my dinner and finish at 4, and that’s fine. What’s not to like, on that front?

So long as I don’t get too relaxed, and actually stay on top of my work, this could be a very comfortable life and I hope to introduce working from home more regularly once this has all blown over. And I’ll have no toddler there to keep interrupting me to take her for a poo.

So long as nobody I know dies (my mums pretty vulnerable and my nan is dead old) it could be pretty good for me, from a selfish point of view.
    The celebrities moaning about it is the fucking worst part. Twats.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Plus it feels too much like unemployment. I need the routine.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know some of this stuff is said in jest, but I have little sympathy for people who are still healthy and being paid moaning about having to look after their kids for an extended period of time. Why did you have them in the first place?

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    https://www.betfair.com/exchange/plu...et/1.170213482

Half 2 on a Saturday and there's near half a million quid traded on an Russian city pub league game game. What a time to be alive.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If coronavirus has robbed Taz of his smell then this will kill millions.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by -james- View Post
    https://www.betfair.com/exchange/plu...et/1.170213482

Half 2 on a Saturday and there's near half a million quid traded on an Russian city pub league game game. What a time to be alive.
    That brought about the biggest lol I've had all week.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    These questions are so shit.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    https://twitter.com/disclosetv/statu...808849923?s=21

I’d like some of these, please.

Would change things hugely in that we’d know who has it and be able to move more quickly to opening some sectors up.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hadn't even thought about that. There'll be a fuck load of people taking the kids away in two weeks time. Splendid.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Taking them where? Most flights are grounded and package stuff cancelled. People from cities rushing out to the coasts is a risk, but there’s nowhere for the to go but supermarkets anyway.

Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hadn't even thought about that. There'll be a fuck load of people taking the kids away in two weeks time. Splendid.
    Away where and to do what?

Anyway, if there’s any leadership left then none of them will be going anywhere.

Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know some of this stuff is said in jest, but I have little sympathy for people who are still healthy and being paid moaning about having to look after their kids for an extended period of time. Why did you have them in the first place?
    The wife wanted one.

Oh and fwiw my wife is a teacher and I work in public health so are both considered “key workers” but I chose not to send my daughter to nursery.
    Last edited by Baz; 21-03-2020 at 02:43 PM.
    I'm a twit

Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The wife wanted one.
    There must have been money in it somewhere for you.

Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quite the opposite.
    I'm a twit

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    Taking them where? Most flights are grounded and package stuff cancelled. People from cities rushing out to the coasts is a risk, but there’s nowhere for the to go but supermarkets anyway.
    Around the UK.

Guess it doesn't really matter, we've spread it like wildfire anyway.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some of those kids will still be in school now during the holidays.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The supermarkets need to get a grip.

Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Around the UK.

Guess it doesn't really matter, we've spread it like wildfire anyway.
    Hopefully everyone isn’t as defeatist and stick to the measures to help stop the spread.

It’s some shift in a few days from the Empire back sailing the high seas and ruling the world to everything being fucked. I’m glad we could share the rollercoaster.

Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ScousePig View Post
    Some of those kids will still be in school now during the holidays.
    Schools won’t reopen until next year (September this year).

Senior Member Alan Shearer The 2nd's Avatar
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We had a trip to Highlands at Easter planned but the host cancelled the AirBnB at the start of the week. Right call though. Potentially introducing the virus to such a large area with an elderly population, hours away from the nearest hospital that could cope, would be a disaster.

Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Giggles View Post
    Schools aren’t closed though. They’re just not teaching [the national curriculum]. There’s still loads of kids going in, and staff to care for them.
    I'm a twit

Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Schools aren’t closed though. They’re just not teaching [the national curriculum]. There’s still loads of kids going in, and staff to care for them.
    I’d missed that bit. Jesus Christ, you are fucked. And we’re fucked for living next door to a fucking idiot.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Until last night Giggles, we hadn't shut anything down.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some absolutely belting material in here

But Prof Ricciardi added that Italy’s death rate may also appear high because of how doctors record fatalities.

“The way in which we code deaths in our country is very generous in the sense that all the people who die in hospitals with the coronavirus are deemed to be dying of the coronavirus.

“On re-evaluation by the National Institute of Health, only 12 per cent of death certificates have shown a direct causality from coronavirus, while 88 per cent of patients who have died have at least one pre-morbidity - many had two or three,” he says.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One for the capacity crew from another forum I visit:

I'm a nurse in an ED in Yorkshire (I'm a middle aged bloke who loves his job... Not the superhero that some would like to describe us as)....Its now starting to ramp up..... We've been told this morning not to admit pts unless they have a need for oxygen as now the hospital is struggling to cope even now..... Its not yet started properly .... We're gunna be fucked when it does..please listen
    to and take notice of the advice given..... Its gonna get real bad before its done.....

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, I read something earlier that the number of daily deaths at the moment is in line with last year..... I can't bloody find it now.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also an ER doc calling into LBC:

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by niko_cee View Post
    That seems a perfectly fair definition to me. And I say that while appreciating that some of these people would have died anyway. Just not as quickly and nowhere near enough of them to warrant a shuttle service being put on to take bodies from the hospital to makeshift burial ground.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kikó View Post
    Also an ER doc calling into LBC:
    Can you not post stuff like this, it's unfair on people like Waffelz who just need a break.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Only if it means people who actually have coronavirus, and it (the virus) gets the +1 rather than whatever other underlying factors there might be. If people are having heart attacks and dying in hospital does coronavirus get the credit for overwhelming the health system even if the person who died didn't actually have it? If every hospital death in Italy is essentially being credited to the coronavirus account, don't we then need to know how many people normally die in Italian hospitals on a daily basis? I'm sure there's a bit of something lost in translation here.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Giggles View Post
    They're not even closed. But if you're meaning fully open, you could be right.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Only if it means people who actually have coronavirus, and it (the virus) gets the +1 rather than whatever other underlying factors there might be. If people are having heart attacks and dying in hospital does coronavirus get the credit for overwhelming the health system even if the person who died didn't actually have it? If every hospital death in Italy is essentially being credited to the coronavirus account, don't we then need to know how many people normally die in Italian hospitals on a daily basis? I'm sure there's a bit of something lost in translation here.
    The 'with coronavirus' means people with it. Not the entire hospital with it.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by randomlegend View Post
    Can you not post stuff like this, it's unfair on people like Waffelz who just need a break.
    #bekind

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm home in Salt Lake City now, and morbidly excited to read the last 40 pages of this thread.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Played golf on two separate 9 hole courses in the countryside. Both of which absolutely dead. Saw a total of 3 other golfers across 18 holes.

On the way back I did shop in a countryside town coop to grab supplies for a friends who’s isolating with his heavily pregnant wife. The fucking number of old folks kicking about the shop was terrifying and they have absolutely no fucks about social distancing. I was shuffling around the shop trying to avoid people but the cunts just roam past me and queues on top of others.

They did have milk though and I got some rolls. So guess that’s good to know if I really struggle in the city..

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's people that have died who had it. You need to stop this crusade.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm trying to work out how professional sport can ever restart. How can you have teams going cross-continent?

Reckon it'll contract like fuck and go back to a sort of 1950s setup with national/local leagues only and international play being rare and beautiful. Will still be popular as anything.

Big winners will be lower league football, rugby league, county cricket, things like that. Big losers: the entire corporate setup we know and love.
    Last edited by Jimmy Floyd; 21-03-2020 at 03:54 PM.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Even if that is the case, which I accept, I misread it, doesn't "On re-evaluation by the National Institute of Health, only 12 per cent of death certificates have shown a direct causality from coronavirus," carry any weight?

This is obviously not a normal situation, and more people than normal seem to be dying (see that obituary thing) BUT there does need to be some sort of perspective, otherwise it just feels like there's a morbid hysteria to simply see a bigger and bigger number regardless of context.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Floyd View Post
    I'm trying to work out how professional sport can ever restart. How can you have teams going cross-continent?

Reckon it'll contract like fuck and go back to a sort of 1950s setup with national/local leagues only and international play being rare and beautiful. Will still be popular as anything.
    That the Olympics is still 'on' is absolutely laughable.

Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It won’t be.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Even if that is the case, which I accept, I misread it, doesn't "On re-evaluation by the National Institute of Health, only 12 per cent of death certificates have shown a direct causality from coronavirus," carry any weight?

This is obviously not a normal situation, and more people than normal seem to be dying (see that obituary thing) BUT there does need to be some sort of perspective, otherwise it just feels like there's a morbid hysteria to simply see a bigger and bigger number regardless of context.
    Surely that just means 12% of deaths were in people who had no underlying health conditions and were otherwise fine (maybe even not that old). Which is consistent with what we know, no?

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know, but, from my limited understanding only those 12% would be counted on the German model, and all of a sudden things look very different.