User Tag List

Page 16 of 24 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: November Football: sponsored by Saudi 2034

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not sure Spurs or Southend are the sensible mental health choices either matey.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am lucky to only have a passing interest in Spurs. Much like I do with the England Rugby team or basically any British Athlete at an Olymipic Games. As such their regular shambles don't really bother me too much.

And life as a lower league fan is relatively peaceful as you expect so little in the first place.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There was probably a four-hour period where I was 100% all in on a UEFA/Nike conspiracy after we lost to Barcelona in the Ovrebo match. That experience alone was enough for me now to consider basically any time a fanbase decides that there's an agenda against them is absolute piffle. It's so tiring, you end up looking and feeling like those nine men on the gammon meme.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's no conspiracy, the refereeing is just wank. Surely the point of VAR is the footage is reviewed and the rules applied as per the rulebook? The problem is they've admitted their bias like Mike Dean saying 'not giving the ref that decision to make he's a good lad and the crowd will hammer him' or whatever his excuse was. You don't even need a 'proper football man' in the hotseat for that, get some boring rich tea biscuit personality rules lawyers in.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think TTH solved the crux of the problem within the first season of it being rolled out. It's a sport of grey areas. That's why the handball rule needs changing every year. There will always be bad luck and disagreement. Trying to absolutely nail every decision is impossible even of both the tech and the people were perfect.

Keep the goal line tech. Bin the rest.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've just realised the lottery for tickets for the Euros has already been and gone.

What?

Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Was a daft system anyway, where you had to buy every one that you were assigned.
    I'm a twit

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, but you never get any. Not that racking up a potential 30k ticket liability wasn't a bit daunting.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Like a lot of things in modern life, it probably makes complete sense overall / in terms of ultimate logic, but presents a serious quandary for the individual. I was applying for Open tickets at wherever the fuck it is next year (Troon) and didn't know if I had to risk my entire net worth on going for tickets every day to have a chance of getting any. As it turned out I went for the megaload and then got tickets for Saturday only, so now am faced with the choice of whether to hotfoot it to Ayrshire to watch Alex Noren shoot 74, or sack the thing off and put them on the snide market.

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by niko_cee View Post
    Yeah, but you never get any. Not that racking up a potential 30k ticket liability wasn't a bit daunting.
    The fans who go home and away should be able to get tickets through the Football Associations. Well, not everyone like, but an extra few thousand.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    VAR isn't going anywhere. Imagine, Premier League announces no VAR next matchday. Arsenal go on to lose due to an obvious offside and Newcastle lose despite a clear handball in the box. Immediately the cries will be 'we have the technology, we need to use it'. Here to stay, unfortunately.

The Artist Formerly Known as Taz
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Luis Diaz brace to beat Brazil and Darwin beating Argies, we really are fucking massive. Also, that Argie defeat may have handed Iran the title of longest active winning streak in international football which would be lol given we are very shit.

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Last edited by Don; 17-11-2023 at 09:39 AM.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That Brazilian rightback looked pretty hopeless.

Two headers as well.

Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    10 points for Everton.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by phonics View Post
    10 points for Everton.
    Not enough. Useless cunts will get out of that.

Edit maybe it will be enough they are going at 1.16 points per game and they have had a fairly gentle start over the season would give them 44 points take 10 off and that's 34 could one of the other useless teams get 34 points?

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Chelsea and city next please.

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    bring on the Championship.

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Ev will be fine. City however, want punting from the league.

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They’ve set a precedent now so surely they’ll get a fairly mental punishment (and not monetary)

I think Chelsea will get similar to Everton if not less as they were the ones who informed UEFA and the PL to some dodgy accounts from the previous regime.

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    10 pts ain't getting them relegated for shit, they're 10th on xPTS ffs.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So genuinely what do they do with City then? Minus 70 points and see if they stay up.

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    10 point deduction for being £19m over is mental. I assumed they’d properly took the piss.

Presume they’ll get a lesser punishment after appeal

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Doesn't even put them bottom. Only 2 points from safety. The three promoted sides are utter shite.

Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    10 points per charge eh?

Think even Pep would struggle to stay up with a 1150 point deficit.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Luke Emia View Post
    So genuinely what do they do with City then? Minus 70 points and see if they stay up.
    Nothing.

Absolutely nothing.

These sorts of penalties are also of absolutely no use. Everton broke the rules or whatever and probably stayed up by the skin of their teeth more than once, possibly because of those rule breaches. What do the teams that went down get out of this? It's obviously almost impossible to go back and sort it out, so perhaps the present day sanction should be much higher [ie relegation/demotion].
    Last edited by niko_cee; 17-11-2023 at 02:11 PM.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nothing.

Absolutely nothing.

These sorts of penalties are also of absolutely no use. Everton broke the rules or whatever and probably stayed up by the skin of their teeth more than once, possibly because of those rule breaches. What do the teams that went down get out of this? It's obviously almost impossible to go back and sort it out, so perhaps the present day sanction should be much higher [ie relegation/demotion].
    I think from a Liverpool viewpoint don't these charges for City cover 2 potential title wins? Plus two for United as well? The point has been and gone in terms of I wouldn't as a fan want to be handed a title but for me the bigger issue is that not only have they cheated but people talk about them now as if that cheating is almost separate. Which it isn't because they would never have gotten to where they are now without the cheating. I saw City released their accounts the other day and generated record income. Who believes that when 4 of their biggest 10 sponsors are from the state that owns them and one is a crypto company?

Newcastle are now using this playbook as well, the authorities can't do anything about it and in the end City will basically lawyer the FA/Premier League to a point whereby they don't get punished.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Don View Post
    10 pts ain't getting them relegated for shit, they're 10th on xPTS ffs.
    If only xPTS actually meant anything at the end of the year.

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's nothing compared to the true way of separating teams, the Bravery Table. Spurs currently top.

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Andy Mahowry View Post
    If only xPTS actually meant anything at the end of the year.
    Brother it's always good to be able to rely on cold hard statistical evidence to back up very straightforward predictions like why we can safely say Egghead will be spending Xmas in some primitive village in Netherlands and nowhere near EPL; why Chelsea will be playing CL football next season and why Spurs will do well to finish within single digit points off the top 5.

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Don View Post
    Brother it's always good to be able to rely on cold hard statistical evidence to back up very straightforward predictions like why we can safely say Egghead will be spending Xmas in some primitive village in Netherlands and nowhere near EPL; why Chelsea will be playing CL football next season and why Spurs will do well to finish within single digit points off the top 5.
    This forum post appears to be a sports-related discussion, likely focusing on football (soccer), particularly the English Premier League (EPL). Let's break down the key elements:

"Egghead will be spending Xmas in some primitive village in Netherlands and nowhere near EPL": Given the context of the English Premier League (EPL) and the mention of "Egghead," it is likely that "Egghead" is a nickname being used to refer to Erik ten Hag, who is a football manager. Erik ten Hag has been associated with teams in both the Netherlands and the EPL. The post seems to be making a prediction or expressing an opinion about Erik ten Hag's professional situation around Christmas, suggesting that he might be in the Netherlands and not actively involved in the EPL at that time.

"why we can safely say": This phrase indicates that the author believes they have strong, probably statistical, evidence to support their predictions or views.

"cold hard statistical evidence": The use of statistics is common in sports discussions, especially in football, where fans and analysts often use data to support their arguments about team performances, player abilities, and likely outcomes of matches and leagues.

"why Chelsea will be playing CL football next season": This is a prediction that Chelsea, a well-known football club in the EPL, will qualify for the Champions League (CL) next season. Qualification for the CL is usually based on a team's performance in their domestic league, so this implies that the author expects Chelsea to finish in a high position in the EPL.

"why Spurs will do well to finish within single digit points off the top 5": This statement suggests a prediction that Tottenham Hotspur (often referred to as Spurs), another prominent EPL club, will struggle to be competitive in the league. Finishing within single-digit points of the top 5 would imply they are not far behind but still not in the top 5 teams.

Overall, this post is typical of sports forums where fans and enthusiasts share opinions, predictions, and analyses, often using a mix of data, personal insights, and sometimes humorous or sarcastic commentary.

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is it not "off the top"? Was about to call it a spastic robot but it may have casually educated me here. Fuck me, I need to buy some Microsoft shares.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't really know how Gareth Southgate Badger is lining them up for this, but if he wants 'Trent' as a midfielder wouldn't it make more sense to try and get him acclimated as one of the deep lying shitkickers rather than as some sort of Bellingham lite?

lol, nice finish.

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the theory is he's not that great at the defence bit of football, so he either would have to be next to a shitkicker or more likely in an advanced role.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If he could tackle, he'd still be playing full back.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Malta looking the more dangerous side. Incredible.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gray Fox View Post
    I think the theory is he's not that great at the defence bit of football, so he either would have to be next to a shitkicker or more likely in an advanced role.
    Yeah, but in a Bellingham as the 10 system, which is presumably what England are going to be going with, you play him next to Rice, rather than Henderson, Gallagher or Phillips, if you want to play him. He is still predominately a defensive player. There is no 4-4-2 to stick him in the original Beckham role.

Quote Originally Posted by Shindig View Post
    If he could tackle, he'd still be playing full back.
    He does still play rightback and is still England's best player in that position if you want to play tournament winning football.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Seeing as he isn't even trusted with set pieces, why is Southgate even bothering with this whole charade?

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This ref is an absolute legend. Kane special.

Kick the ball, kick the 'keeper and fall over. Fuck off.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd be handing in my resignation if I was Southgate.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Probably best not to play a rightback as one of your few, precious attacking players. England are negative enough as it is. The point of defensive players who add in attack is that they add to the other, good attacking players, it's not the same as being the attacking player backed up by 6 feckless defenders behind you.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This Cole, Defoe, Lescott pundit line-up is so insightful I'm not sure I'll ever see football the same way again henceforth.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I quite liked Lescott squirming when having to at least not criticize Our Lord and Saviour Harold Kane.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dion's really letting himself down tonight.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wasn't expecting much tonight, but fuck me.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Much more like it. Lovely couple of goals those.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Was that disallowed for it brushing Kane? Surely it can't have been for obstructing the 'keeper. Or does his presence, and thus ability to deflect it if he didn't, count as interfering with play?

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I quite liked Lescott squirming when having to at least not criticize Our Lord and Saviour Harold Kane.
    Pathetic wasn't it.

I'm sure it's total coincidence but on a previous broadcast they were discussing the "should 'Hendo' be in the team?' thing and while Joe Cole was wringing his hands and talking about "experience, erm, leadership, world class, erm, Hendo, top bloke, yeah" they then went to Jill Scott who (I'm paraphrasing) basically went "Lol, obviously not" and look at the safe pairs of hands they've got in this time.

No dissent, just a good bunch of lads all agreeing that, in fact, the Malta goalie should be done for GBH for what he done to our Harry.

The Channel 4 coverage is probably as bad as BT, and I don't level that accusation lightly.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pathetic.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tony Drago crying into his vodka tonight. Take that you old cunt.