Page 217 of 236 FirstFirst ... 117167207215216217218219227 ... LastLast
Results 10,801 to 10,850 of 11773

Thread: The All New Jobs Thread

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Floyd View Post
    For some jobs/people I'm sure it's perfect, but my anguish was more about it being so widespread that it actually fucks the job market.
    It hasn't. You just work for pensioners that refuse to move with the times.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Physical product. It just means workplaces that don't deal in physical product have a massive hiring advantage compared to before.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not really. You can still have a warehouse full of plebs / robots and have your salesmen working from home.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Aye, even on the globetrotting parts, you're not bringing parts with you in the back of the hire car.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Salesmen, buyers, accountants, R&D people, quality control, the aforementioned army of plebs... 80% of the workforce need to be there daily, and you need the warehouse buildings so can't save cost on space anyway, so why would you make the huge investment in WFH infrastructure so that a few people like me can have a wank twice a day.

On a slightly separate point, I wonder where all the job market demand has gone anyway. Are there tons more people out there just not working, post-furlough? How does that work?

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    3 million on PIP. It was probably 2 million before the pandemic hit. Not that people on PIP can't also claim a payslip.
    Last edited by Shindig; 18-10-2023 at 08:35 AM.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe if people don't want to work in places that don't offer WFH and those places find it hard to get staff as a result, then those places need to offer higher wages to better incentivise people to work there.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's the whole point of what I said in the original post, he's put the salary artificially high but it still doesn't make any difference because remote working is apparently (according to the recruitment people) a much bigger factor to people than salary is.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    People on benefits live a similar standard of life to those working for minimum wage. Those on PIP and DLA are receiving more still. There is no incentive to work for large swathes of the population.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Floyd View Post
    That's the whole point of what I said in the original post, he's put the salary artificially high but it still doesn't make any difference because remote working is apparently a much bigger factor to people than salary is.
    Artificially high probably just covers the commute. What's the point?

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We are in the office 1 day per week, and even that's a non-starter for a lot of people.

I can't imagine going back to being in the office full time now, though. And there aren't many companies in our sector that are.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe you can hire some top, top lads from the European Union to fill in the gaps?

Unless there was some issue that made it much harder for people to travel and work there?!??

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Obviously nobody top, top amongst the million Africans and Asians who turned up last year.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hope I can find one of those WFH deals. Rather pretend to work at home that in some office full of people.

Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pepe View Post
    I hope I can find one of those WFH deals. Rather pretend to work at home that in some office full of people.
    It is miles better. I do one day in the office and strangely look forward to going in once a week to see everyone.
    I'm a twit

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Three years of WFH has probably added thirty years to my life expectancy.

ram it up your shitpipe Giggles's Avatar
    Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And then people say they're actually doing anything. Though o don't see how sitting in your jocks eating Doritos and collecting stickers on fifa can add on years.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I achieve far more working from home. It's amazing how much more productive you can be when you don't have people asking you questions all day. Does dossing happen? Of course it does, but it happens in the office too. More often if anything.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewis View Post
    It was doing historical research-based policy stuff for the Royal Navy. It had internal appointment written all over it from the off but still.
    Have you pushed for further feedback to understand what they mean? That would show engagement with the process and that you give a fuck. There's a chance nobody made the cut, so proving them wrong may result in them inviting you to apply again.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spikey M View Post
    I achieve far more working from home. It's amazing how much more productive you can be when you don't have people asking you questions all day. Does dossing happen? Of course it does, but it happens in the office too. More often if anything.
    Apparently people usually give around four hours of true productivity a day. At home there's incentive to knock that out early instead of pretending to be interested in Vanessa's cycle to work.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Offshore Toon View Post
    Have you pushed for further feedback to understand what they mean? That would show engagement with the process and that you give a fuck. There's a chance nobody made the cut, so proving them wrong may result in them inviting you to apply again.
    Yeah, I asked for some elaboration and said another bit of it was contradictory (example of my excellent analysis skills there), so we'll see what they say. The bloke was bald, so it could all be a conspiracy against me.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That sounds more like arguing with a bouncer than desire to improve.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    'Engage with *this* process, Eggbert.'
    *rubs hair at him*

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Giggles View Post
    And then people say they're actually doing anything. Though o don't see how sitting in your jocks eating Doritos and collecting stickers on fifa can add on years.
    My work is deadline based with 6 deadlines a week, if people weren't doing their job it would be apparent pretty quickly.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Giggles and Jim are just built different. Real men, for the real world.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The boss got someone in for an interview at 5pm. He showed me the guy's CV, between 2017-22 he worked for McLaren (the F1 team), under this heading he put '7 years in the engineering department and 3 years in logistics', impressive for a 5 year stay. I hope he added up better when he interviewed with Ron Dennis for this job in the 'engineering department'.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He was probably there 2012-22 but realised owning up to being there through the GP2 years wasn't a good look and neglected to edit the full description.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First half term as Head of Year completed. It's been fairly brutal, with parental deaths, transphobia, tantrums & truancy but I've only thought about jacking it in seven or eight times.

My new favourite parent is one who likes to chew my ear for extended periods of time down the phone. Her eldest has a formal ASD diagnosis and anxiety, but no EHCP (European Health and Care Plan, setting out what their needs are in school). Parent has been ranting to me about how the school has failed him, the SEN co-ordinator was meant to do x, y and z, and hasn't, etc. She just rambles on and on, getting more and more irate. She genuinely believes having the EHCP will allow her child to learn more (they have a tendency to just leave site part way through the day, so miss a lot of school) and is anticipating that the EHCP will grant them...a robot.

The robot will attend lessons in their child's stead, whilst the child, unable to physically attend, can participate in the lesson, ask the teacher questions and hang out with mates. And I think she genuinely believes this is possible. She will be so disappointed.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Robots finally taking over

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hang on. So in this bizarre version of reality, the robot would go and sit in class, while the child sits at home speaking into a mic and this is broadcast via the robot's pouty lips? I have missed a lot here haven't I.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mo View Post
    EHCP (European Health and Care Plan)
    Education, health and care plan and if they are done properly they can have a significant impact on the child's learning. They generally don't result in the provision of robots.

These robots do exist in some hospitals though. The robot sits in the classroom and streams the lesson to the child's device and they can talk through it. Helps kids who have prolonged admissions from missing out on education.

https://www.manchesterhospitalschool...ed/av1-robots/
    Last edited by randomlegend; 19-10-2023 at 02:19 PM.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's going to be some minimum wage uber driver with an ipad strapped to his face isn't it?

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looks like some schools do use them.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are those robots available for workplaces? If so I have the same as that kid and also want one. Don't fail me too Mo 😞

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This kid might be the greatest blagger since Greta Thunderbird. Heroic effort

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Raoul Duke View Post
    This kid might be the greatest blagger since Greta Thunderbird. Heroic effort
    The kid in the video or mo's one?

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by randomlegend View Post
    Education, health and care plan and if they are done properly they can have a significant impact on the child's learning. They generally don't result in the provision of robots.

These robots do exist in some hospitals though. The robot sits in the classroom and streams the lesson to the child's device and they can talk through it. Helps kids who have prolonged admissions from missing out on education.

https://www.manchesterhospitalschool...ed/av1-robots/
    Thanks for explaining it to me doc, little bit clueless after 10 years in teaching and having applied for one for my own child. Of course European was a mistake on my part.

I googled the robot thing after she mentioned it, so was aware they exist, but she's clearly doolally if she think's we'll get one in an LA (think that means Local Authority) school.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mo's kid

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mo View Post
    Thanks for explaining it to me doc, little bit clueless after 10 years in teaching and having applied for one for my own child. Of course European was a mistake on my part.

I googled the robot thing after she mentioned it, so was aware they exist, but she's clearly doolally if she think's we'll get one in an LA (think that means Local Authority) school.
    Your tone towards EHCPs came across quite dismissive. That combined with you getting the name wrong made me think you were in the significant camp of teachers who view ECHPs as fairly useless and don't engage much with SEN provision.

Clearly I misinterpreted your stance, my apologies.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wish I had a class robot.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd even take a mediocre robot to be fair.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    I'd even take a mediocre robot to be fair.
    Ayyyyy

Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gotta drive to Wolverhampton in the morning. Will probably be done and home by about half two, but my out of office is already set til Monday.
    I'm a twit

Man(c) of the People igor_balis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When we get a breakdown, with the exception of a couple of weird little exceptions, we just contact the dealership in our network who are closest to the vehicle. In the day it's pretty simple - call up reception, ask for service, get them to send a mechanic. On nights you go straight to the on call technician and basically wake him up to go to the lorry.

Sometimes it takes a few calls, or you occasionally have to go to the next nearest dealer if they're sleeping through the call, but they're largely pretty good, reliable lads. This week, I've had the same technician answer the phone, agree to attend a breakdown, not answer any subsequent calls, then phone us hours later to be like "yeah fell asleep sorry". Legend.

Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Baz View Post
    Gotta drive to Wolverhampton in the morning. Will probably be done and home by about half two, but my out of office is already set til Monday.
    1 hour 40 to get there. 2 hours 56 to get home. M6 suxxx
    I'm a twit

Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did get to watch two men inject themselves with heroin though.
    I'm a twit

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well worth it then. The wife tried to suggest a jaunt down the M6 to Costco before but I told her where to go, friday afternoon in galeforce winds for a non essential trip is just self harm.

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The M6 always has something on a Friday afternoon. Without fail.

Worst is it's almost always around J12-15 sort of area and everyone has the bright idea of travelling through this little town full of roadworks.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just had an email to tell us that someone in the R&D department dropped off their perch over the weekend. Always a surreal moment juxtaposed against their place in the daily grind.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why does your company have an R&D department?