Results 16,101 to 16,150 of 17058

Thread: News of the day

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kikó View Post
    The AFD are literal Nazis.

The general issue is people feeling poorer and some going to the extreme right.
    Possibly. But I doubt all of their supporters are Nazi's. Most of them will just feel unrepresented elsewhere.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The general issue is people feeling poorer and some going to the extreme right.
    You keep telling yourself that while your town’s burning.

ram it up your shitpipe Giggles's Avatar
    Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The new policy across Europe seems to be to ignore every concern people have and just scream far right at them.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah calling a Nazi party far right is being a lefty.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And I’ll fish the thread out when I’m off my phone but would those German Women who were goosed en masse at a Christmas market and then told about how they should behave to avoid it happening be covered by the “being a bit poorer” reasoning if they’re voting for whoever these nutters are?

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spikey M View Post
    Possibly. But I doubt all of their supporters are Nazi's. Most of them will just feel unrepresented elsewhere.
    No that's correct. But the party is for sure.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good that you answered my question. How many?

Edit: And you know that’s not what I was referring to.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yevrah View Post
    And I’ll fish the thread out when I’m off my phone but would those German Women who were goosed en masse at a Christmas market and then told about how they should behave to avoid it happening be covered by the “being a bit poorer” reasoning if they’re voting for whoever these nutters are?
    Is your argument there are some Nazis who support the AFD? I'm sure there is.

But yes, people have gone to the extremes (die linke has gained some votes as well) as they've become poorer.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We’re dealing with millions upon millions of voters across Europe, right? Covering all demographics? “A bit poorer” sounds incredibly simplistic when faced with those demographics.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I heard on the radio the other day that 70% of countries around the world have elections this year. Things could get very interesting in some of them.

Not here, obviously, we're getting Sir Beer Korma.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yevrah View Post
    We’re dealing with millions upon millions of voters across Europe, right? Covering all demographics? “A bit poorer” sounds incredibly simplistic when faced with those demographics.
    I'm talking about Germany specifically but yeah, of course it's simplistic. People generally want to change things if they feel poorer in the pocket.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm talking about Germany specifically but yeah, of course it's simplistic. People generally want to change things if they feel poorer in the pocket.
    And in wanting a change they jump straight for their nearest far right party, avoiding all of the other parties that would be a change but aren’t far right? Hmmmm.

ram it up your shitpipe Giggles's Avatar
    Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Blankety calling them a 'nazi party' is just proving me 100% correct.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I heard on the radio the other day that 70% of countries around the world have elections this year. Things could get very interesting in some of them.

Not here, obviously, we're getting Sir Beer Korma.
    The SNP seem to be expecting an arse raping at the polls given how enthusiatically they are deepthroating him in the news this week.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bar him saying or doing something unbelievably stupid, I think he's nailed on. The SNP, just as with the Tories, have been responsible for too much scandal recently.

It's just a shame he's going to be such an underwhelming PM.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Underwhelming is a massive upgrade on the recent shower. Of course we shouldn’t settle for that but everything might seem a little bit less shit.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He should be riding in on a Blair style 97 wave of euphoria at finally being rid of the Tories, but it just doesn’t feel like that. I’m not sure why.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it's because he knows his sure route to power relies on him being the sensible and safe option. If he takes a strong position on anything it could blow up in their faces.

Maybe when he's actually elected he'll start presenting as an actual person with views and and stances on things rather than just sitting on the fence all the time.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He won't.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Trump is trying to dismantle democracy!

Germany is trying to ban the second most popular political party.

That's different! They are FAR RIGHT!

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pepe View Post

Game, set and match with that really. The funniest thing is they can't even see they're doing it.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Resisting the far right and left is one of our great strengths. Obviously FPTP plays a large part but also I think there's a cultural thing whereby we find such people risible rather than to be taken seriously. Can't explain why off the top of my head.

If we are ever stupid enough to bring in proportional representation it will no doubt open the floodgates.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In a British context, every government since Margaret Thatcher has been elected on manifesto pledges to reduce the overall number of people admitted to the country, and every government since Margaret Thatcher has deliberately done the exact opposite. Still, better that than any anti-democratic forces gaining influence.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh I remember those words that I've said. It was even quoted.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Floyd View Post
    Resisting the far right and left is one of our great strengths. Obviously FPTP plays a large part but also I think there's a cultural thing whereby we find such people risible rather than to be taken seriously. Can't explain why off the top of my head.

If we are ever stupid enough to bring in proportional representation it will no doubt open the floodgates.
    Who is 'we' in this complacent overview of British political culture? Asking for that teacher still hiding from Islamists.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewis View Post
    Who is 'we' in this complacent overview of British political culture? Asking for that teacher still hiding from Islamists.
    Like I said, I can't explain why we are the only European country who have never been ruled by fascists or communists or any kind of religious nutjobs. As far as I know the last serious internal threat to our parliamentary democracy was in 1745. I'm sure there are good historical and no doubt geographical reasons why this is the case whereas France has managed three monarchies and five republics in that time, and Germany, yeah.

You seem to think I'm some kind of simpering centrist dad. Couldn't be further from the truth. I am a patriot, of the genuine kind rather than the Rees-Mogg what's-in-it-for-me sort. Every polity needs balance and ours is no different. We have a brilliantly balanced political system which, unlike the European multi-chaos systems, has two or maximum three centres of gravity, but, unlike the American us-and-them system, has 650 local constituencies of sufficient variety that the ruling parties must by existential necessity become broad churches. When Labour turn to ridiculous long-Cold-War Corbynism they are electorally embarrassed and the same is about to happen to the Conservatives, who have simmered themselves down into a set of venal oligarch-subservient lickspittles, the claret-drinking equivalent of straight treachery. Our system protects against either of these tendencies, or any of the other possible retreats into bedroom conspiracy theory, from becoming mainstream, unless or until there are huge pulsating bubbles of support for them throughout the country, which, also thanks to our system and to the nature of modern life, will never happen.

Islamism is not a threat. They are pests, sometimes violent pests, but they do not threaten our way of life. They are only interested in themselves. I had a big laugh at all those calls for a 'Muslim party' a few weeks back when blood was at its hottest after the Hamas attacks and the repercussions. No chance that will ever happen, and if it does it will fail hard. Our own failing in this regard (as the white establishment) is to be far too tolerant of the more brutal aspects of Muslim culture when practised over here. This is where the centrist dads come in, because they are the ones shilling for multiculturalism.

The biggest internal threat to us this century is probably the threat of becoming a puppet state of Hindu-nationalist India, which is a fairly grim fate but not inevitable if we maintain the robustness of our democracy and keep funnelling the right people into the elite. This means keeping out the fringe wankers and the minor public school traitors. There are many ways we can do this a lot better. We have a lot of useful tools at our disposal. One of them is to properly democratise Oxbridge, properly widen access (I would pay for them to send scouts out into the field to recruit the best teens to it, like it's Man City) and rid it of every treacherous posh cunt and simp leftist while maintaining its status as a factory to churn out the elite. Another is to build three million houses (we've been over that).

I can't bear the momentum of these morons who want us to move into this new world where the democracy is 20% goose stepping, 20% bearskin hats, 20% jolly good old chap and 20% technocrats, with the last 20% being up for grabs. All it will result in is permanent shouty instability, rather than the temporary kind we are currently experiencing.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If 20% want to goose step then you give people a good reason not to vote for them? I'm not sure disenfranchising a vast amount of the population is the sign of a healthy democratic system.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To be clear, I'm not talking about banning them. I'm talking about having a system (like ours) which stops them from being able to get to 20% in the first place. The English AFD, let's call them UKIP, would be frustrated or have to funnel their ideas into other parties. This would only change when demand for their ideas became overwhelming, as happened with, say, Labour when the franchise widened 120 years ago. This is a good thing because it is like an evolutionary system for ideas, shit ones that don't wash will die or carp audibly but ineffectually from the back benches.

Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I mean they did and we left the EU and it’s been a disaster.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Racists didn't get Brexit through, thickos did. It was basically Bojo singing Homer Simpson's 'Garbageman Can' song from his bus and a lot of people bought it without understanding what they were voting for. I voted remain, I did think there were interesting arguments for leave but anyone who genuinely thought there was enough talent in parliament (of any party) to navigate through leaving is deluded.
    Last edited by Lofty; 21-01-2024 at 07:29 PM.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Floyd View Post
    To be clear, I'm not talking about banning them. I'm talking about having a system (like ours) which stops them from being able to get to 20% in the first place. The English AFD, let's call them UKIP, would be frustrated or have to funnel their ideas into other parties. This would only change when demand for their ideas became overwhelming, as happened with, say, Labour when the franchise widened 120 years ago. This is a good thing because it is like an evolutionary system for ideas, shit ones that don't wash will die or carp audibly but ineffectually from the back benches.
    This supposedly wonderful system of ours works in a high-trust society with a stable and homogenous population whose main political parties (and critical non-governmental organisations) represent the views and wishes of the majority of their voters. Is this still the case, and, if it just about still is (it isn't), will it still be the case in twenty years? Then what?

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The reason immigrants come here - though varied - all ultimately boil down to the fact that we are a better country than where they came from, with better people, better institutions, better social security and better economic opportunities. The only way to stop them is to remove some or all of those things, which, evidently, we do not want to do.

This century is going to be about south to north migration. Short of turning us into North Korea and placing hundreds of snipers along the south coast, we can't change that. What we can do is be a lot more assertive than we have been in setting the terms by which life happens once you're here and forcing people to adapt to that. What will undermine what we have is allowing the far right or far left, or the public school traitors I referred to earlier, to sell it to foreign interests. That is why keeping the AFD equivalents out of power is important.

Incidentally I think AFD will blitz the polls in the next five or so years.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We can't stop mass migration, but what we can do is tell them all to behave a certain way, which we haven't done during the periods where we have constituted the overwhelming majority, turning a blind eye to all sorts of scummery in the name of 'community cohesion'; but we will somehow manage to do so when we aren't the overwhelming majority, and they will all listen to us. How does that change in circumstances come about exactly? What if people don't want to align to our values? How do we 'force' them to? We can't stop them coming here, so what do we do? Also, how do the better people, institutions, social security, and economic opportunities survive during the interim period before our better values re-assert themselves?

This is what I was saying the other day about burying passivity in shite and wishful thinking for who knows why. My preferred course[s] of action might be 'extreme' and heavily discriminatory, but they are at least tangible things that could - stakeholder uproar aside - be implemented. You seem to think that that bit of the Communist Manifesto that relies on spontaneous class consciousness could work but for Africans suddenly stopping shouting into their phones.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How does the US get people to assimilate without even trying?

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How does the US get people to assimilate without even trying?
    America is constantly on the brink of race riots. I'm not sure that's assimilation. Or, atleast, I'm not sure it's the assimilated society we're shooting for.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    America (still) has a much greater sense of purpose than we do. If you asked our elites why Britain exists today and truth-drugged them, they'd say it's to sell our soft power to foreign despots and gangsters.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Our "Elites" are either interested in further feathering their own nests, or being "woke" throbbers that spend their time flagellating both themselves and the nation for whatever the fashionable topic of the day is.

Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    98% of them assimilate fine it's just Lewis is basically Enoch Powell these days so anyone in a headscarf or with a West Indian accent is the cause of every problem in the country.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    America is constantly on the brink of race riots. I'm not sure that's assimilation. Or, atleast, I'm not sure it's the assimilated society we're shooting for.
    Those come from full-on Americans though. Immigrants get on with things just fine.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Shows you the lack of respect in American society that they don't.

Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Those come from full-on Americans though. Immigrants get on with things just fine.
    As ever it's exactly the same here as it is there. The ones that hate immigrants the most are from the places that don't have immigrants.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I rather enjoyed the Newsnight/BBC Correspondent report about the Emirati funded mercenary death squads operating in Yemen last night. Someone should ask Pep about them in his next press conference.

The interview with the Yemeni government guy was borderline Ali G tier.

Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This measles stuff seems bad, you know.
    I'm a twit

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vaccines are a psyop. Natural immunity is better.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe the talking heads should stop making excuses for the people with 'busy lives' and 'cultural difficulties' who aren't taking up the vaccine.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was reading the BBC article on this the other day and they were mulling over why London, Leicester and Birmingham were hotspots, as if the answer wasn't already known. it was deep into Bill Burr territory.

Last edited by Spikey M; 24-01-2024 at 09:21 AM.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It was even worse than that with Covid though wasn't it, as didn't we not only ignore the bleeding obvious but a narrative also developed where the reason for minorities not having a vaccine was down to their distrust of the white Man due to all of his atrocities?

The Artist Formerly Known as Taz
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Aren't you working class gammons just as likely to be anti-vax conspiracy theorists as the muzzies who don't want to be jabbed with bacon fat? Show some data to justify your racism, please.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I saw a graph the other day which showed black Caribbean as the lowest, will have to delve into the depths of twitter to refind it.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)