• Turtle in a little Chelsea-branded baseball cap

2 25.00%
Page 6 of 20 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: February Football: The (Not A) Ho Chi Minh Special

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Kante is back in training. Right in time for the 2nd leg of the Dortmund game with his new hamstrings. CL #3 is en route

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think that's going to be ruled out.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah I think so. Would be absolute robbery if they nicked it.

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Potter is absolutely meh regardless if it counted or not. I can’t see him last long, just comes across as a bit of a loser. His subs are always tragic too.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    VAR taking the piss there.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gotta draw those lines even when my nana can see it was obviously offside.

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How is that not handball hahahaha

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can forgive Pawson for not seeing it, but the VAR will be getting buried for that.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The John Terry Special.

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's a ridiculous decision. If that's not handball then we may as well go home.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So frustrating to be robbed as blatantly as that after a very good display, far better than a declining West Ham side. Completely inept in the VAR room.

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bringing on Mount, Gallagher and Ziyech to try get a goal. I genuinely think he’s played for the draw, they didn’t even bother attempting to go forward that last 15 minutes. It’s time to go.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Waffdon View Post
    Bringing on Mount, Gallagher and Ziyech to try get a goal. I genuinely think he’s played for the draw, they didn’t even bother attempting to go forward that last 15 minutes. It’s time to go.
    Go and sit on a potty, you don't know what you're watching. The difference in 8 days last week to this week was massive and all of the above added something when they came on fresh. Mount broke the lines several times and Ziyech threatened with his deliveries.

Our twitter fanbase need to readjust to the new reality, this isn't the Abramovich era, this is a tank season and there won't be any sackings any time soon.

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Floyd View Post
    So frustrating to be robbed as blatantly as that after a very good display, far better than a declining West Ham side. Completely inept in the VAR room.
    Took genuinely 2 minutes to work out if Rice was offside when it was clear he was at least 2 yards but waived away the penalty shout in 5 seconds.

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Floyd View Post
    Go and sit on a potty, you don't know what you're watching. The difference in 8 days last week to this week was massive and all of the above added something when they came on fresh. Mount broke the lines several times and Ziyech threatened with his deliveries.

Our twitter fanbase need to readjust to the new reality, this isn't the Abramovich era, this is a tank season and there won't be any sackings any time soon.
    They were very good for 25 minutes and that was about it. Then it reverted to the same stuff since October. 2 wins in 14 PL games and both were at home to Palace/Bournemouth. He’s out his depth.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You're out of yours.

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You claimed Mount broke the lines several times. Very good, shame his final ball both times he got in behind was dreadful. The less said about Gallagher the better.

Bringing Mount on to shift Felix out of the action was such a Jimmy Floyd substitution from Mr Potter.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Doesn't matter. It isn't win this game or we all die, it's building towards next season. There was progress in all areas and during a period when Mount isn't in the best of form, a good use of him is to come off the bench like that and add energy.

You see how he's gradually easing Chilwell back in, not making Mudryk play too many minutes? That's a man who has the board's backing and knows what he's doing.

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think he’s just too nice to be a top gaffa

Man(c) of the People igor_balis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jimmy Vs Waff's bickering really is an encapsulation of... something, I dunno. opposing ideologies of the football spectrum. just need spikeylocks to come along and say the ideology in the middle of them is just right.

ram it up your shitpipe Giggles's Avatar
    Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The old style vs the YouTube clip FIFA generation.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by igor_balis View Post
    Jimmy Vs Waff's bickering really is an encapsulation of... something, I dunno. opposing ideologies of the football spectrum. just need spikeylocks to come along and say the ideology in the middle of them is just right.
    TIME to the left of me, NARRATIVE to the right, '...and It's Live' with Matt Forde.

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's not impacted the result of the game much, but I'm at a loss to explain this decision from VAR today.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    His foot is marginally past diers knee. Their arms don't count as you can't play the ball with them.

Edit: although Davies' head is ahead of his foot. Fuck knows.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bah, we're shite.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My migga.

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spikey M View Post
    His foot is marginally past diers knee. Their arms don't count as you can't play the ball with them.

The line should be on Davies shoulder, so it's way off. It should be at least on, with the benefit of the doubt stuff we saw earlier in the season.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This Hojlund fella for Atalanta is going to be some player.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spikey M View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Fox View Post
    The line should be on Davies shoulder, so it's way off. It should be at least on, with the benefit of the doubt stuff we saw earlier in the season.
    That this conversation can / should even happen is everything that's wrong with the offside rule. Christ, what a shitshow.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gray Fox View Post
    It's not impacted the result of the game much, but I'm at a loss to explain this decision from VAR today.

How can they be so consistently incompetent?

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Came across this one again the other day. Look at it. It's laughable. How can a referee who will have refereed thousand of hours of football not realise that that doesn't look right?

The Artist Formerly Known as Taz
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Whoever gets Rasmus Højlund is getting a better player than Haaland. Incredible talent.

Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We didn't deserve to win so I'm not that mad but if this is true alongside the Chelsea handball it's hilarious how VAR continually makes these people look more incompetent every day

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It'll be fine. The chasing pack are shitting the bed this week.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by phonics View Post
    We didn't deserve to win so I'm not that mad but if this is true alongside the Chelsea handball it's hilarious how VAR continually makes these people look more incompetent every day
    It’s funny because it’s Arsenal and all that. But how is he forgetting to draw the lines? He has one fucking job.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At least three massive VAR shambles in different games today. I don't know how they manage it. VARs have a far, far easier job than on field refs. Not even 1/10th as difficult.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the biggest frustration I have with it is that you see stuff which I think refs let slide because they think well VAR will look at it. Then when VAR do look at it they take five seconds and it’s done. But you know that five years ago the referee on the pitch would have made a decision which they just don’t seem to do anymore. So you have the worst of both worlds as then the VAR set a high bar to actually overturn an onfield decision.

mischamischaracterisation Dquincy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    That this conversation can / should even happen is everything that's wrong with the offside rule. Christ, what a shitshow.
    The problem being is there isn't a better offside rule than the one we currently have. Even if someone suggested something mad like you're only offside if there's daylight between the two players, all this will mean is drawing the lines again but in a different location.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Luke Emia View Post
    I think the biggest frustration I have with it is that you see stuff which I think refs let slide because they think well VAR will look at it. Then when VAR do look at it they take five seconds and it’s done. But you know that five years ago the referee on the pitch would have made a decision which they just don’t seem to do anymore. So you have the worst of both worlds as then the VAR set a high bar to actually overturn an onfield decision.
    In the World Cup it worked much better. Collina's way was to tell all the refs to make a decision and then if that decision needed varying, the VAR was to intervene. That way, unless the VAR is a complete wally and intervenes when he shouldn't and the ref after coming over to the screen decides to agree with his crap intervention (as in Portugal v Uruguay), the officials as a team nearly always arrive at the correct decision.

The big difference in the PL is that, because they have been pelted in the first years of having VAR, they have this 'clear and obvious error' principle. This may sound good in theory, but in reality it just encourages referees not to make a decision i.e. to wave play on and only when it is a real stonewaller will the VAR intervene. This is how you end up with awful decisions like the Chelsea one earlier.

Some interesting stats:

PL penalties per game this season: 0.23
    Serie A: 0.29
    Bundesliga: 0.32
    La Liga 0.33

That is a big difference, particularly considering the PL is meant to be this fast-paced end to end physical league.
    Last edited by Jimmy Floyd; 12-02-2023 at 12:03 AM.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am somewhat sympathetic towards the VAR in the Chelsea handball one as I think there is an understandable extent to which they, like all humans, have had their brains melted by the 'natural position' handball interpretation. At first glance you can sort of see it as being where you arm would be in a falling situation, then you step back and realise that the 'falling' is actually, in essence, saving. Similar to, albeit probably worse than, the Matty Cash, it isn't handball if it hits your thigh first handball interpretation, despite the same 'saving' being in operation.

Can't really forgive the lines ones though, and three in a day is, well, how does that happen? Was it their Christmas do yesterday or something?

Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hope they keep getting it disastrously wrong because it increases the chances of sacking it off. This seasons done anyway.
    I'm a twit

ram it up your shitpipe Giggles's Avatar
    Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If Southampton were going to do it this soon they should have done it when Dyche was still available.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't get why he was stupid enough to leave Luton a second time. It's clearly his ideal environment. I guess these people are all so driven they just back themselves to succeed anywhere despite all evidence to the contrary.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What's Allardyce up to? I'm surprised nobody has tried to bring him back.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dquincy View Post
    The problem being is there isn't a better offside rule than the one we currently have. Even if someone suggested something mad like you're only offside if there's daylight between the two players, all this will mean is drawing the lines again but in a different location.
    Just give VAR a timer for offsides. If it gets to the point where you're having to draw lines and shit then it's not obvious that anybody should be getting stressed out about the real-time call.

They've proven that even when they take minutes and minutes they can still either get it wrong or get it "right" in a way that winds up basically everybody, so don't give them the time. Just give them enough time to slow it down, make sure nothing egregious has happened. If not, jolly good, crack on lads.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just give VAR a timer for offsides. If it gets to the point where you're having to draw lines and shit then it's not obvious that anybody should be getting stressed out about the real-time call.

They've proven that even when they take minutes and minutes they can still either get it wrong or get it "right" in a way that winds up basically everybody, so don't give them the time. Just give them enough time to slow it down, make sure nothing egregious has happened. If not, jolly good, crack on lads.
    That’s some of it. If you can’t decide within 1 minute if a clear error has been made then one obviously hasn’t been made. As Jimmy said aside from a couple of things the World Cup seemed to have it pretty bang on.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd missed Flamengo shitting out of the World Club Cup to Al-Hilal. Sign of the times.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Don't Holland or somewhere have it so the lines are thicker on offsides and if when they draw them they are touching, benefit of the doubt goes straight to the attacker?

That only covers offsides obviously, but stuff like that seems like common sense.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Our lines were meant to be thicker this year, but that doesn't help when they are simply drawn in the wrong place.

Potter was right in his post-match comments, human error is still a possibility [inevitability], the only way it can work is for it to be an automated system, but that probably needs a rule change at the very east and then you get a rules divergence between the top division and the rest of the pyramid. The actual answer is to put it all in the bin and go back to moaning. I'm not even sure a 'challenge system' could really work, although it would be better than what we have.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It definitely feels better as a fan when you just think you've been stiffed by the ref than it does when you have been stiffed by not only the ref, but also by a second ref with a TV and every opportunity to put the first ref right. You're just asking for conspiracy theories to develop.