User Tag List

Thread: Spicy Shit

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Spicy Shit

Like proper spicy shit. It's a legitimate addiction. I'll see a habanero pepper at the grocery, buy one, try to eat it, touch my penis on accident, and then die. I've done this multiple times.

If anyone's ever watched Hot Ones on YouTube, I ordered their 'Last Dab'. The hottest sauce. Now, sauces never come close in spiciness to actual peppers, no matter how hard you try. So it's not like I'm eating a ghost pepper or anything. But you can easily set yourself on fire if you douse a dish properly. This sauce (more like a paste tbh) tastes curry-like, so it's really good on pizzas and chicken and the like. But it'll fuck you up if you're too liberal with it, and there are some dishes it absolutely does not go with. One time I made a bowl of spaghetti with olive oil and parmesan like a fucking Italian, and I thought it was really boring, so I loaded up some Last Dab on it. Horrible. Don't do that.

My girlfriend bought me an assortment of hot peppers for Valentine's Day. Fuck a chocolate, rose, whatever. I will say, though, even though it's not spicy at all, I think the jalapeno has got the best taste out of any pepper. Edward Jalapeno or whoever decided to grow it deserves a hand.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like spicy but not mega spicy. I only have experience with dried chillis when it comes to variety (anchos, guajillos etc. I can get online) but I agree they can bring amazing flavour.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I went through a similar phase of just wanting to consume the spiciest thing going a few years ago.

Where all I wanted from a meal was to be rendered mute while sweat dripped off my face. I don't think it was much fun going out for dinner with me around that time. I remember one of the hottest things I ever ate was a burger that had some daft hot sauce on it, I think I needed three pints to get through it. The combination was one hell of a high.

These days I just lob a load of Frank's on stuff.

ram it up your shitpipe Giggles's Avatar
    Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by randomlegend View Post
    I like spicy but not mega spicy. I only have experience with dried chillis when it comes to variety (anchos, guajillos etc. I can get online) but I agree they can bring amazing flavour.
    Always keep some guajillos and pasillas in stock to make my own chili powder. Lovely flavour.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Whenever I get a kebab in I buy a box of Jalapenos. The toilet doesn't know what's hit it.

In terms of spice levels, a Madras is about as hot as I go. Any hotter and it's just pain and no actual flavour.

Mentioned
    199 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don’t enjoy spicy food at all.
    I'm a twit

Man(c) of the People igor_balis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My shits after spicy pizza last night didn't hurt but it stings whenever I fart today. Not sure what's going on there.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’ve always been pretty keen on spicy food. Food wise I think getting something too spicy at a restaurant is almost impossible, although my limits have been met a few times. I don’t enjoy overly hot chilies. I got some Naga Morich and after eating that (and a pint of yougurt) I again got a reminder that there’s a limit to the level of spicy that I enjoy what feels essentially like a dare.

Had some boom-boom sauce in a Nepalese restaurant a while back and would like to get that home as well.

Senior Member Alan Shearer The 2nd's Avatar
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love spicy food but can't go too hot unless I'm in the house with a pint of milk.

The biggest issue I have with a lot of curries is the jump between medium and hot seems to be massive. Most medium ones I tend to have are fairly mild with a little bit of a kick then trying a madras feels like you're setting fire to your mouth.

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I always find Madras a bit of a gamble. I've had ones that are solidly mild-medium kinda Rogan Josh levels of spice and some hotter than jalfrezis.

Senior Member Alan Shearer The 2nd's Avatar
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Madras is supposed to be hotter than a Jalfrezi is it not?

I've never had a Jalfrezi that was too hot but every Madras I've had has been too hot.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jalapeños.

No self-respecting Mexican uses that shit. All about serranos.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan Shearer The 2nd View Post
    Madras is supposed to be hotter than a Jalfrezi is it not?

I've never had a Jalfrezi that was too hot but every Madras I've had has been too hot.
    Igor has it right with 'it's a gamble'.

A Madras is meant to be hotter, I think, but I've had some disappointingly mild ones and also had some ring piece destroying Jalfrezi's.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pepe View Post
    Jalapeños.

No self-respecting Mexican uses that shit. All about serranos.
    I don't know what Jalapenos are like in Mexican cuisine, but in Turkish they are pickled. Sweet, bitter and spicy.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pen View Post
    I’ve always been pretty keen on spicy food. Food wise I think getting something too spicy at a restaurant is almost impossible, although my limits have been met a few times. I don’t enjoy overly hot chilies. I got some Naga Morich and after eating that (and a pint of yougurt) I again got a reminder that there’s a limit to the level of spicy that I enjoy what feels essentially like a dare.

Had some boom-boom sauce in a Nepalese restaurant a while back and would like to get that home as well.
    Yeah, restaurants will always serve to the lowest common denominator and dumb down any spice they have. Indian restaurants will do it even if you ask for the hottest they have, because you’re a white boy. I’ve had to have Indian friends vouch for me to actually get the spiciest food at those places.

Thai/burmese is the absolute spiciest though. especially in hotpot form. Gg

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like the fresh spicy that Thai food usually is. Missus used to work for their embassy and it was pretty great getting my hands on some homemade Thai food a few times.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spikey M View Post
    Igor has it right with 'it's a gamble'.

A Madras is meant to be hotter, I think, but I've had some disappointingly mild ones and also had some ring piece destroying Jalfrezi's.
    A Phaal is usually the hottest curry but they're not widely available as they reduce grown men to simpering wrecks

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Raoul Duke View Post
    A Phaal is usually the hottest curry but they're not widely available as they reduce grown men to simpering wrecks
    Yeah I'm not even trying that shit. Or Vindaloo. Medium-Hot is my level.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I was 20 I used to like hot food, but I increasingly can't take the heat anymore. It's not worth the horrendous consequences.

If I am going to have hot food it needs to be dry, like a bit of chicken, or a bit of the pepper itself. Hot sauces I really can't deal with anymore. I tend to have dry curries now for that reason.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah I'm not even trying that shit. Or Vindaloo. Medium-Hot is my level.
    Firmly in the 2/3 chillies camp too.

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know what you mean. I think it's because it's too easy to imagine the hot sauce's exit.
    @Jimmy Floyd

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've never had an issue with it on the way out, no effect whatsoever.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Probably the best party story I have is when I got a hemorrhoid in high school from extremely spicy chicken wings. That shit was definitely not worth it. Regular firey shits on the other hand are very therapeutic

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Really, Disco? If I eat anything hotter than about Madras level, it's a guaranteed breakfast date with messrs An and Drex.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Really.

I rarely go beyond a decent jalfrezi but it's never had that effect on me, same with hotter stuff or thai curries.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vindaloo and the occasional phahl for me, but I was raised on Madras as a kid so it’s by the by. In general terms, I rarely eat food without a decent degree of spice, though homemade chilli content is a little lower when cooking for the missus. She more of a Nando’s Hot kinda girl.

Additionally, I normally have plenty of varieties of dried chillis knocking around and bunch of bottles of sauces from whichever chilli shop I’ve been to last.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Even a Zinger burger gives me ring sting and it's oddly satisfying.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Baz View Post
    I don’t enjoy spicy food at all.
    Yes lad. Plus one for the real men.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I enjoy it but as long as it doesn't completely mask the other flavours going on.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love spicy food, I can take a fair whack but I tend to go for things further down the scale so it doesn't just kill the other flavours.

I remember once having a chilli from my Dad's greenhouse that felt like napalm in my mouth. I chugged 2 pints of semi-skimmed and wept slightly, I've never tried anything so hot.

From an Indian in terms of spice levels I can go just above a madras (although lamb biryani without the nuts or raisins is king) but at home I tend to cook that Rick Stein vindaloo when I'm doing it myself. On the rare occasions I go to Nando's I'll have extra hot (which isn't even that hot) and will always aim for the spicier levels at other places. Although I once went to a burger place in Poland which had a spice level burger of 1-5 and the 4 was a bit pointless as you could barely taste the beef.

In terms of hot sauces I generally just stick with tabasco, it's pretty weak for spice but the sweetness it brings is lovely.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pen View Post
    I like the fresh spicy that Thai food usually is. Missus used to work for their embassy and it was pretty great getting my hands on some homemade Thai food a few times.
    Thai is the best cuisine.

I had a 'hot for the sake of it' phase which ended around about the time I had to undress down to my boxers at my mate's flat so I could finish a jungle curry.

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Offshore Toon View Post
    Thai is the best cuisine.

I had a 'hot for the sake of it' phase which ended around about the time I had to undress down to my boxers at my mate's flat so I could finish a jungle curry.

What's a jungle curry actually like, aside from very hot? I keep eyeing it up in my Rick Stein book but I'm a bit worried. Especially as I'll be cooking for me and my mum and she's a bit of a wuss.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It’s normally comparable to a standard Balti or occasionally a madras if you’re getting it at a Thai I find - tends to be my fave there. If you’ve had Red Thai curry it’s the same paste without the coconut so it’s your usual kaffir/basil/lemongrass/ginger/cumin/garlic coming through.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jungle curries seem to vary wildly between establishments.

I always used to think they were super hot, quite watery affairs (ie no coconut milk), but of late I've found a Thai that does a creamy version (with coconut milk, I assume) which is quite nice.

Last time I was in a curry house I was on the end of some fairly epic condescension (well it felt that way a bit) when the waiter 'reassured' me, apropos of nothing, the thing I'd ordered was "really very mild" (despite being described as medium hot on the menu) as he put it down.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Giggles View Post
    Always keep some guajillos and pasillas in stock to make my own chili powder. Lovely flavour.
    I’d love to hear you pronounce those words.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Unfortunately, we don't have members with those names so we can't slip into his WDYTOE.

ram it up your shitpipe Giggles's Avatar
    Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shindig View Post
    Unfortunately, we don't have members with those names so we can't slip into his WDYTOE.
    I thought I recorded one the other day using the dash cam but it wasn't my regular one and it wasn't set to record audio like my own does. Probably for the best anyway as I was winging it because I'd forgot to print a list.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by igor_balis View Post

What's a jungle curry actually like, aside from very hot? I keep eyeing it up in my Rick Stein book but I'm a bit worried. Especially as I'll be cooking for me and my mum and she's a bit of a wuss.
    Like people have said, it varies. The place I ordered it from let you choose how hot you wanted each curry (mild, medium, hot, Thai hot) so I went all out.

Mentioned
    199 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is Sriracha hot? Saw some sriracha mayonnaise that looked good, but worried it would be too spicy for me and bottled buying it.

The bottle of just sriracha sauce looked spicy.
    I'm a twit

Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On its own, it's quite spicy yeah but it's really nice with mayo and the mayo takes a lot of the heat out of it.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not a fan of siracha on it's own (it's too garlicky) but it works a lot better when mixed with mayo.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Too garlicky. Even garlic isn't too garlicky.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Too garlicky. Even garlic isn't too garlicky.
    I'm not sure why I feel that way with siracha when I've been known to eat raw garlic gloves.

I think it's just that I like vinegar based hot sauces so much more. I usually go with Tabasco or this:

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sriracha is alright on some asian stuff but I think it's too salty to be used as a general purpose hot sauce. I'm with mahow on vinegar based ones being better. Frank's original is the daddy.

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sriracha sucks ass.

Mentioned
    199 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Salty = I'm out
    I'm a twit

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sriracha isn't hot but it also isn't good, except in specialty Oriental dishes.

I dunno what kind of hot sauces are common in the UK but Tapatio is my favorite all-purpose one in the US