Page 170 of 340 FirstFirst ... 70120160168169170171172180220270 ... LastLast
Results 8,451 to 8,500 of 16995

Thread: News of the day

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by igor_balis View Post
    This flagshagging shit is doing my head in, can't we just agree to a patriotism of vaughan-williams, cricket and a deep collective sense of shame? This, basically:
    Cheers Very British Problems.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Awkward phone silence... eye contact on the bus... cup of tea
    *igor_balis liked and retweeted and probably bought his book*

Man(c) of the People igor_balis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I really don't like the way your imagined version of me is close enough to reality to seem plausible while also being exactly the kind of person i fucking hate. Dickhead.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wait, you get five years of religion education?

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I took five years because it's practically a free GCSE. The exam felt like a basic morality test.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pepe View Post
    Wait, you get five years of religion education?
    Yep.

https://www.gov.uk/national-curricul...lsory-subjects

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sex and relationship education. Shit, didn't know that your system was US levels of stupid.

Do you also not get calculus?

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You mean maths m8*.

*Algebra

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by igor_balis View Post
    I really don't like the way your imagined version of me is close enough to reality to seem plausible while also being exactly the kind of person i fucking hate. Dickhead.
    My aborted WDYTOE entry on you was about how I used to have a friend who, apart from films, had no interests in common with me (he literally couldn't kick a football the embarrassing loser), but we met in sixth form and bonded on disliking all the same things and people. That would be us that, and then if I ever saw you with your greebo crew you would be real awkward trying to show me how funny you thought they were.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did we do five years of religious education? I can remember three years of it, but once we moved onto GCSE I'm pretty sure it dropped off. My school lumped all of the non-subjects together for assessment purposes, so three years of messing about in shit like RE, music, and drama meant I ended up in the actual spaz group for GCSE Art despite being really good at it.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It was compulsory for me until Year 9. I took it as one of my options. The other option I took was History. They wound up being pretty similar, if I'm honest.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewis View Post
    Did we do five years of religious education? I can remember three years of it, but once we moved onto GCSE I'm pretty sure it dropped off. My school lumped all of the non-subjects together for assessment purposes, so three years of messing about in shit like RE, music, and drama meant I ended up in the actual spaz group for GCSE Art despite being really good at it.
    It was up to year 9 for us, then we had to choose from a group of mandatory subjects of which RE was one (along with a language and History, Geography and a Science I think).

These days it's just mandatory. Unless mummy doesn't want you to do it, anyway.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's almost worth having kids just to boot off about their school taking them to a mosque.

Man(c) of the People igor_balis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pretty sure "religious studies" was a mandatory GCSE at my place, but i'm not sure how applicable that is. It was an old style eleven-plus grammar school, that did super wacky stuff in an attempt to claim that their "methods" got the genuinely very excellent exam results, rather than it obviously just being a non-fee paying school with a gigantic catchment area that got all of the smartest non-rich students (and even some of the rich ones). Teaching with the cheats on.

Some of their cynical, TES-baiting stuff was pretty good though. Cus they knew we were smart enough to blag it, they put a few AS subjects in our year 10-11 options. Had pissed an A in AS politics before starting sixth form rather than doing like geography or something. I'm a bad example for this one cus I pissed around playing text-based football management games the whole two years and got a D, but I think letting some people do AS Computing instead of GCSE ICT was pretty cool as well, ostensibly learning programming rather than pissing about putting word art in power points or whatever the fuck the divs were doing.

The Artist Formerly Known as Taz
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I recall RE being a thing briefly but our [optional] GCSE was Philosophy & Ethics. I'm now a bit pissed I didn't have RE and its depth to be able to reach the muslim scholar levels of Abu Ibn Ali Spikey.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've got bad news for you. RE was all about ethics. Fuck all in there about Diwali or that thing the Jews read backwards.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used to fall asleep in RE.

Fun times.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Don View Post
    I recall RE being a thing briefly but our [optional] GCSE was Philosophy & Ethics. I'm now a bit pissed I didn't have RE and its depth to be able to reach the muslim scholar levels of Abu Ibn Ali Spikey.
    I didn't quite reach those levels as the options I took were French and Your Mum. C'est le vie.

(I actually took History and Geography, but that was funnier. You're welcome)

mischamischaracterisation Dquincy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shindig View Post
    I've got bad news for you. RE was all about ethics. Fuck all in there about Diwali or that thing the Jews read backwards.
    Ethnics?

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My RE (at a private school) was a stupid tosser teacher with sideburns telling us how the Iraq war was all about Bush stealing oil (this was 2003). The same teacher then flew into a mad rage at me a few years later when I told him I wouldn't be applying for Oxbridge. Lefties are weird.

For A level it evolved like a pokemon into 'Theology' and only about 3 people chose it, all churchy oddballs.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did five years of religious education but it was a Roman Catholic school so not massively surprised. It was my best GCSE as well netting me a cool A*.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kikó View Post
    I did five years of religious education but it was a Roman Catholic school so not massively surprised. It was my best GCSE as well netting me a cool A*.
    How do they cover the other religions at Faith Schools? Did the teacher spit after every mention of Protestants? Did they tackle the issue of noncing? (£10 on a practical lesson)

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "And today we'll be discussing some of the hell-bound."

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I suspect noncing is an issue in any closed-off environment (see football clubs, boarding schools, Woody Allen's house, etc etc ad infinitum), I don't think there's anything specific to religion. People like e.g. football more than religion though so it's handy to associate it with one and not the other.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spikey M View Post
    How do they cover the other religions at Faith Schools? Did the teacher spit after every mention of Protestants? Did they tackle the issue of noncing? (£10 on a practical lesson)
    It was mostly Bible related (I honestly don't recall learning anything about other faiths and if we did, it obviously left no impression). So all the parables and key stories like the Samaritans, the 3 sons, Jesus "Day in the Life of" etc.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Floyd View Post
    I suspect noncing is an issue in any closed-off environment (see football clubs, boarding schools, Woody Allen's house, etc etc ad infinitum), I don't think there's anything specific to religion. People like e.g. football more than religion though so it's handy to associate it with one and not the other.
    The Catholic Church gets attacked because of its track record of moving paedophile priests around upon their discovery. Giving them fresh access to children in a community that is unaware of their past because it is deliberately hidden from them. I think that is fairly unique to the situation. Schools don't do that with teachers.

Plus, they claim to be the representatives of God on earth, which Mourinho aside, I don't think football coaches do. That puts you on a bit of a pedestal.

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I found my ‘homework agenda’ from year 7 a while back. Had detention after every RE class for about 20 weeks straight. Bad boy.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Catholic Church gets attacked because of its track record of moving paedophile priests around upon their discovery. Giving them fresh access to children in a community that is unaware of their past because it is deliberately hidden from them. I think that is fairly unique to the situation. Schools don't do that with teachers.

Plus, they claim to be the representatives of God on earth, which Mourinho aside, I don't think football coaches do. That puts you on a bit of a pedestal.
    https://www.childabuseroyalcommission.gov.au/

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's the same old story regardless of setting, though - authority figure (God's authority, society's, the community's, etc) takes advantage of their trusted position and uses it to touch kids. The Church just has more overarching levers to cover things up, although Crewe Alexandra have been doing a very good tribute act.

What enables the Church to do these things is its power within society, rather than the fact that it is based around religious worship.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Floyd View Post
    It's the same old story regardless of setting, though - authority figure (God's authority, society's, the community's, etc) takes advantage of their trusted position and uses it to touch kids. The Church just has more overarching levers to cover things up, although Crewe Alexandra have been doing a very good tribute act.

What enables the Church to do these things is its power within society, rather than the fact that it is based around religious worship.
    I wouldn't argue any of that. But from the publics perspective, being "men of god" definitely adds to the offence. Being a Teacher is probably about level.

Meanwhile, being a Royal appears to go the other way. Nobody really cares.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know ships are big and all that but how is it going to take weeks to shift that sideways boat in the Suez?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-56533250

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I heard that it's grounded both ends, so making it unusually difficult just to drag it out with a tug.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Get some Somalian Pirates in and it would be gone by lunch.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wouldn't argue any of that. But from the publics perspective, being "men of god" definitely adds to the offence. Being a Teacher is probably about level.

Meanwhile, being a Royal appears to go the other way. Nobody really cares.
    I guess the thing with the Royal Family being pro-nonce is that most people just use it / ignore it to fit their existing opinion of them.

And most people will never come into direct contact with any of them anyway so it doesn't hit so close to home.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-56535575

"You can't beat the spontaneity, the team building, the culture that you create in a firm or an organisation from people actually spending physical time together," he said.

Not to mention the funnelling of money into public transport companies, the buying of massively overpriced sandwiches / coffees and the chance to have a preening boss strut about the workforce like god's gift. All the good stuff.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll never forget scoring 97/100 on a RE mock exam. Really let the creative juices flow that day.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Prince Albert of Monaco weighed in on the Harry and Meghan stuff and the most shocking thing to me is how he sounds like a New York dock worker.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, I saw that earlier. Surely it's not the change in activities but that, by the sounds of it, the kids are being more heavily supervised at all times?

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is pure Daily Mash.

Anyone who is anti-sport on any level (and it's almost always women - god, I'm on a proper misogynist roll at the moment) is inherently suspicious to me. 'Supervised activities' i.e. another hour of adults telling kids how to think rather than them working it out for themselves.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is a rebranding from Jimmy Floyd to Milo Yiannopoulos on the cards?

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He's never going to find a nice girl to settle down with if he carries this on.

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Eradicating natural problems through restricting freedoms. It won't catch on.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is a rebranding from Jimmy Floyd to Milo Yiannopoulos on the cards?
    Probably not.

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are you calling yourself white or doing your own thing once 'BAME' gets dropped? I'll put a welcome hamper together if you're coming over. All nice British jams and biscuits and that.

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The latter. People Against Kindred Idenitification.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hope I get an opportunity to use that in real life.