Page 30 of 51 FirstFirst ... 20282930313240 ... LastLast
Results 1,451 to 1,500 of 2529

Thread: The House Thread

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spikey M View Post
    and they'll both be right, too. I'd love to see how much work they actually do. I bet the whole process could be done in about 2 hours if they wanted to / didn't have to justify their fee.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Floyd View Post
    Like estate agents (and website designers, I'm finding) it's an industry where they will only work on your case if you pester them literally every day, more than once if you can.
    In this case the seller does appear to be some sort of retard, so it wouldn't surprise me if he isn't answering questions.

Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I viewed a house today and really liked it. Not far from where I'm renting now.

I also signed the contract for a new job the other day which I start at the beginning of April. Anyone have any idea if I'd be able to apply for a mortgage now and borrow according to the new salary or if I apply right now will they only take my salary from my current job into account? @Luke Emia ?

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was in the process of getting a pay upgrade when I got my original mortgage offer, and they were happy to file everything on the assumption that I would be earning x; but I had to get work to give me a 'Lewis earns the following as of...' letter to get it over the line.

ram it up your shitpipe Giggles's Avatar
    Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Boydy View Post

I also signed the contract for a new job the other day which I start at the beginning of April. Anyone have any idea if I'd be able to apply for a mortgage now and borrow according to the new salary or if I apply right now will they only take my salary from my current job into account? @Luke Emia ?
    Would you even get one with a job change or are they a lot handier on giving them out there?

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In my experience the mortgage company value stability. Ideally they want you in the same dead end job for 20 yeas before they touch you. Moving job and house at the same time could mean they'll offer you less even if the money is better.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Depends on the lender and also if there is a probation period.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's the finance side that puts me off buying, to be honest.

Mentioned
    199 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It’s pretty cool knowing you own something though, or at least will do.

Same with cars.
    I'm a twit

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep. And you can improve it, boost the value and whatever. I just need to figure out what my actual budget is.

Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewis View Post
    I was in the process of getting a pay upgrade when I got my original mortgage offer, and they were happy to file everything on the assumption that I would be earning x; but I had to get work to give me a 'Lewis earns the following as of...' letter to get it over the line.
    That sounds alright. I have the offer letter with the salary on it and the signed contract with the salary and start date on it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    Depends on the lender and also if there is a probation period.
    There is a probation period but having googled that already it doesn't seem to be too much of an issue.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nationwide are good for that. Literally just need contract don't even need a payslip.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In my experience the mortgage company value stability. Ideally they want you in the same dead end job for 20 yeas before they touch you. Moving job and house at the same time could mean they'll offer you less even if the money is better.
    Some literally don't care. It blows my mind then they bleat on about fraudulent applications.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sold our place for asking price earlier this week and just had an offer for £10,000 under asking price accepted on a new place.

Can't wait to get the fuck out of Southend and into a nice house in a nice little village where nothing happens apart from the Church fete.
    Last edited by Spikey M; 01-03-2021 at 03:50 PM.

Mentioned
    199 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds good during lockdown but during normal times, not so much.

Well, unless there’s some good pubs.
    I'm a twit

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's 2 pubs. One 40 seconds away.

But there is never a good time to be in Southend. Lockdown or otherwise.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Started gathering intel on buying a place in Amsterdam. Looks like out east might be the place to go in terms of price:value. I just want a place with awesome beams

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Floyd View Post
    Like estate agents (and website designers, I'm finding) it's an industry where they will only work on your case if you pester them literally every day, more than once if you can.
    Web design, especially if you're dealing with a freelancer, is a race to the bottom. The stop-start nature of the work means that people will work for a pittance and have to take on more work than they can realistically complete in a reasonable time frame.

Plus, if you're directly speaking to the guy actually doing the work - and it's all being done by one person, not a team - then chances are you're not spending enough money.

If you want a better experience, spend more money.

mischamischaracterisation Dquincy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sold our place for asking price earlier this week and just had an offer for £10,000 under asking price accepted on a new place.

Can't wait to get the fuck out of Southend and into a nice house in a nice little village where nothing happens apart from the Church fete.
    Canvey Island?

My mate had to go on a stag do there one weekend. It was literally a 20 min drive from where the majority of them lived.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm speaking to Clem Fandango / Art Vandelay on a rotational basis, or was, until Clem was fired and Ronnie Wallwork took over proceedings, whereupon we finally got somewhere. Seeing as I'm not Procter & Gamble it's probably impossible to spend enough money to hit home with an agency/design house that knows what they're doing, so you're really just expecting a veneer of 5/10 customer service, but no.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dquincy View Post
    Canvey Island?

My mate had to go on a stag do there one weekend. It was literally a 20 min drive from where the majority of them lived.
    Who the fuck goes on a stag do to Canvey Island? The only decent thing about that place is the road out of it.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are Murder Crows making home on my roof and they make a lot of noise in the morning. They sound angry and look like they are from Resident Evil.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Crows are awesome. You should befriend them

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Agreed, or if not befriend definitely do not anger them. They hold grudges and remember faces.

Mentioned
    199 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Had a man in from British Gas today. My heating broke in February cos the condensate pipe froze and I managed to fix it by pouring hot water on it. At the time I tried to get British Gas to come instead, so I didn’t have to climb a ladder in the dark, but the earliest they could come was 10th March. As far as they were concerned, three weeks with no heating or hot water is fine.

Anyway, I kept the booking cos I wanted them to just check the period of time where all the condensation was being backed up into the boiler, and causing it to switch off, hadn’t done any damage. Fast forward to today. Bloke gives me the usual jargon about giving it a quick once over but it’ll be fine, and praised me for sorting it out. I go back downstairs to make him a coffee and then I hear him run downstairs and go outside on his phone, and comes back in after five minutes. It’s not safe mate. I’ve had to isolate. It’s a good job I’m here.

So his machine that checks for carbon monoxide is allowed a maximum reading of 200 before it’s deemed dangerous. It was reading 1300. It’s a wonder I’m not dead. I’m always in the loft as well.

He did try it on a bit saying he can order the part today and come back tomorrow to fix it, and tried to pat himself in his back saying it’s perfect timing cos he can fix it tomorrow but we’re on strike on Friday so I just said perfect timing would have been February when I had no boiler for 24 hours, and went back to watching Cocomelon.

I did like his joke about wearing PPE cos he was a Wiganer in St. Helens though. And if he actually sorts it tomorrow, all is forgiven. Hopefully I don’t drop dead from the fumes. Never had it serviced in 7 years so no idea how long it’s been poisoning my family for.
    I'm a twit

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Didn't you put something about Carbon Monoxide poisoning in the health thread a little while back?

Mentioned
    199 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Didn't you put something about Carbon Monoxide poisoning in the health thread a little while back?
    I probably posted that I got a Carbon Monoxide meter when I first got my house but in order to calibrate it you seemed to need to use cigarette smoke, which I couldn’t do because I’m not a scruff, so never did anything with it.
    I'm a twit

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Baz View Post
    I did like his joke about wearing PPE cos he was a Wiganer in St. Helens though. And if he actually sorts it tomorrow, all is forgiven. Hopefully I don’t drop dead from the fumes. Never had it serviced in 7 years so no idea how long it’s been poisoning my family for.
    'D'you not know what carbon monoxide is?'

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’ve had a headache for about four days.

I’ve either got
    a) COVID-19 (is it a symptom?)
    b) carbon monoxide poisoning after a leaky radiator was recently botched back up by my dad and I.
    c) just a persistent headache

I’ve got a Carbon Monoxide meter thingy somewhere, I think, but I never set it up because from what I could gather from the instructions you first needed to “set it off” by using smoke from a cigarette, of which I obviously don’t have because I’m not a scruff. Infact, I may well have binned it after deciding I could never set it up.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've never known a monoxide alarm needing cigarette smoke to calibrate it.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Baz is definitely dying in his sleep tonight.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Had a man in from British Gas today. My heating broke in February cos the condensate pipe froze and I managed to fix it by pouring hot water on it. At the time I tried to get British Gas to come instead, so I didn’t have to climb a ladder in the dark, but the earliest they could come was 10th March. As far as they were concerned, three weeks with no heating or hot water is fine.

Anyway, I kept the booking cos I wanted them to just check the period of time where all the condensation was being backed up into the boiler, and causing it to switch off, hadn’t done any damage. Fast forward to today. Bloke gives me the usual jargon about giving it a quick once over but it’ll be fine, and praised me for sorting it out. I go back downstairs to make him a coffee and then I hear him run downstairs and go outside on his phone, and comes back in after five minutes. It’s not safe mate. I’ve had to isolate. It’s a good job I’m here.

So his machine that checks for carbon monoxide is allowed a maximum reading of 200 before it’s deemed dangerous. It was reading 1300. It’s a wonder I’m not dead. I’m always in the loft as well.

He did try it on a bit saying he can order the part today and come back tomorrow to fix it, and tried to pat himself in his back saying it’s perfect timing cos he can fix it tomorrow but we’re on strike on Friday so I just said perfect timing would have been February when I had no boiler for 24 hours, and went back to watching Cocomelon.

It's not his fault he wasn't sent out to fix it in February. If someone gives me grief like that the part goes missing and I go back a month later.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Baz is definitely dying.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not the main point here but why are you spending so much time in the loft?

Mentioned
    199 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It’s been a wild ride, lads. Mike will forward the funeral details if you wanna pay your respects.

And maybe not a lot of time up in the loft, but more than anyone else I know. If you must know, during lockdown I started collecting Pokémon cards and wrestling figures, so they’re up there. At one point I was getting a new card in the post everyday so would go up, open the box, get out the binder, put the new FIRST EDITION card in my binder and move the placeholder card into a different box. I’m working from home, might as well kill time chilling in the loft breathing in delicious poisonous gas.

I also went a bit overboard buying holiday clothes so there are multiple unopened parcels up there and it’s got to a point where I take parcels up there if I’m not planning on opening them for a while, and then when the times comes I also tend to open them and sort out the rubbish up there. It’s like a shed but less [visible] spiders and lots more carbon monoxide.

It’s not converted but it’s got boards on the floor so can walk around and take deep breaths, no problem.
    Last edited by Baz; 10-03-2021 at 03:26 PM.
    I'm a twit

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Andy Mahowry View Post
    I've never known a monoxide alarm needing cigarette smoke to calibrate it.
    It's the north, Mahow, everything runs either on cigarette smoke or chip fat.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And maybe not a lot of time up in the loft, but more than anyone else I know. If you must know, during lockdown I started collecting Pokémon cards and wrestling figures, so they’re up there. At one point I was getting a new card in the post everyday so would go up, open the box, get out the binder, put the new FIRST EDITION card in my binder and move the placeholder card into a different box. I’m working from home, might as well kill time chilling in the loft breathing in delicious poisonous gas.

I also went a bit overboard buying holiday clothes so there are multiple unopened parcels up there and it’s got to a point where I take parcels up there if I’m not planning on opening them for a while, and then when the times comes I also tend to open them and sort out the rubbish up there. It’s like a shed but less [visible] spiders and lots more carbon monoxide.

It’s not converted but it’s got boards on the floor so can walk around and take deep breaths, no problem.
    This is a safe space, Baz. Just be honest with the community and admit you're wanking yourself blind.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Manc View Post
    This is a safe space, Baz. Just be honest with the community and admit you're wanking yourself blind.
    Whilst looking at AEW wrestling figures...

Mentioned
    199 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’m home alone for nine hours a day, four days a week. Why would I wank in the loft?
    Last edited by Baz; 10-03-2021 at 03:50 PM.
    I'm a twit

The Artist Formerly Known as Taz
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The lack of oxygen makes you harder?

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's the new danger wank craze.

Knock one out before the carbon monoxide kills you.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I didn't realise Baz lived so close to me now.

Yeah, get your boiler serviced regularly and don't die, it's a sound plan.

That said, British Gas are fannies. I have had independent gas men work on my old one who were happy with it, then when British Gas came to fit my Hive the guy was wittering on about the state of it and giving me their 'not quite condemned but nearly' warnings, which none of the other 2 reputable companies mentioned. Still, got a new one now.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Andy Mahowry View Post
    Whilst looking at AEW wrestling figures...
    Shut up Herb.

Mentioned
    199 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gas man says the new carbon monoxide reading is 44 now he’s fixed it. Funeral cancelled, soz mates.
    I'm a twit

Banned
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My carbon monoxide rate is 0.

Mentioned
    199 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From a regular reader sure. This was some fancy machine connected to my boiler.
    I'm a twit

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We sold our house after a weekend of it being up and then had an offer agreed on another, day after that Rishi extended the stamp duty holiday which we weren't expecting. Might get a hot tub and accelerate that rush towards middle age.

Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lol at Yev.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Mrs wants a hot tub when we move too. Also courtesy of Rishi.

Yev is a trendsetter.

Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Probably nearly every house in Essex has them anyway.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, we are all rich.