Page 48 of 581 FirstFirst ... 3846474849505898148548 ... LastLast
Results 2,351 to 2,400 of 29008

Thread: Coronavirus Death Thread

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shindig View Post
    As far as I know, I'm being paid in full as well. When I spoke to the boss before he mentioned it's not going down as sick pay.
    If it doesn't, people won't self isolate either.

EDIT: Sorry, if it does go down as sick pay. If that's SSP.

ram it up your shitpipe Giggles's Avatar
    Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bernanke View Post
    Is there any breakdown on demographics for the Italians who croak?
    I’d seen some numbers a few days ago where 19% of their deaths were 90+ but I can’t remember the one directly below that.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I literally just looked at it. 26% over 65's. Britain at 18%.

EDIT: Sorry, that's population rather than deaths to the virus.

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yevrah View Post
    It's younger indeed, but there's something that's also odd in the numbers that means that that stance doesn't reassure me much.

I can't work out what it is, but why is it still not killing more people in Germany? Why was the Diamond Princesses' death rate lower than it should have been? Why is it wiping Iran out at a rate of knots? Why are/were half the people in ICU in France under 50?

It doesn't stack up.
    Presumably France is smokers. And Germans would be infinitely more competent as people and as a country than Italy.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    https://www.statista.com/statistics/...e-group-italy/

This pie chart is grim. 75% of cases in Italy are over 50.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "I agree with you" might have been easier.
    What? Your complaints are the reasons for their 'delusional' approach.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Giggles View Post
    Presumably France is smokers. And Germans would be infinitely more competent as people and as a country than Italy.
    Yeah, but they're still Europeans and will do what they bloody well like. Maybe they're not as they still feel some guilt from the war.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The school announcement is bizarre. We're closed, but we're not actually closed?

It raises more questions than answers.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewis View Post
    What? Your complaints are the reasons for their 'delusional' approach.
    Ok. And?

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Indeed. Which staff are in, is vulnerable those in care or SEN?

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    https://www.statista.com/statistics/...ean-countries/

We do ok on this count although there's a 1999 chart showing us much higher up the list, so smoking must have fallen off a cliff here in recent years but stayed the same elsewhere. It also has Germany (marginally) above Italy.

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shindig View Post
    https://www.statista.com/statistics/...e-group-italy/

This pie chart is grim. 75% of cases in Italy are over 50.
    That’s cases not deaths.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The smoking ban saves the day.

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No wonder, £10 a packet now and they’re away to ban Menthol from May. Twats.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The ‘no exams in May and June’ thing is huge. No SATS, no GCSES, no A-Levels. So how do students progress? Everyone in my dept WhatsApp speculating it might be done on predicted grades (wholly unfair as done by teachers and therefore not objective) or perhaps based on evidence submitted, but what evidence? And who checks it and decides on a grade?

Stunned.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Floyd View Post
    https://www.statista.com/statistics/...ean-countries/

We do ok on this count although there's a 1999 chart showing us much higher up the list, so smoking must have fallen off a cliff here in recent years but stayed the same elsewhere. It also has Germany (marginally) above Italy.
    Until I saw that I'd have had Italy much higher up the list and way ahead of Germany. I guess a higher proportion of their smokers may be older.

Still, that doesn't explain why it's ravaging Italy if not.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Vulnerable was specified by Williamson as those with a social worker or EHCP.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mo View Post
    The ‘no exams in May and June’ thing is huge. No SATS, no GCSES, no A-Levels. So how do students progress? Everyone in my dept WhatsApp speculating it might be done on predicted grades (wholly unfair as done by teachers and therefore not objective) or perhaps based on evidence submitted, but what evidence? And who checks it and decides on a grade?

Stunned.
    It's basically the same thing as how do you finish the Premier League season. It sounded like Boris was hell bent on giving them a grade.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Until I saw that I'd have had Italy much higher up the list and way ahead of Germany. I guess a higher proportion of their smokers may be older.

Still, that doesn't explain why it's ravaging Italy if not.
    I reckon Italy just started earlier, introduced measures later, and had it very concentrated (Bergamo sounds like a giant plague pit). Other places will get done in more gradually and hopefully the critical cases will be spread both by time and geography.

That said, London sounds bad here because you know, it's London and people are getting it at a rate of knots.
    Last edited by Jimmy Floyd; 18-03-2020 at 06:10 PM.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    There's going to be a shitstorm.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Still, that doesn't explain why it's ravaging Italy.
    It does. Those older patients will take longer to discharge and require more complex treatment. More come in day after day, care gets compromised. It's how the death's spike. The people dying now have been in hospital for weeks.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mo View Post

Stunned.
    I'm a bit gutted as we've been preparing so hard for May. On the other hand, if it's teacher assessment I feel I've got plenty of evidence to back up my reading, writing, GPS and maths throughout the year.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So at 4pm today the boss finally called a staff meeting. He handed out a memo with yesterday's date on it and references to 7 day self isolation (gov advice is now 14).

The result: carry on as normal. Only work from home if you are self-isolating or have unavoidable childcare issues. Otherwise, we don't want you working from home. Hand sanitiser is provided. Wash your hands. If you get the virus, you have 3 days' sick pay as per your contract, and for the rest of your self isolation you can take holiday or go onto SSP.

Fucking hell.
    We had a similar(ly pointless and sparse) handout today along with guidelines for hand washing. Bit late seeing as I started on Monday wiping down all communal equipment (clocking in machines, keyboards, pdq's etc) twice a day, and I'm pretty sure people are sniggering behind my back about it. My director openly laughed today at a message from a servicing company about keeping a distance from their staff when they're on site, these are the idiots who are going to make this worse than it needs to be. Still, I've now been bang on about when wfh advice was going to come in, the flower show getting binned, and also schools not lasting the week. Not that I expect them to start taking notice now, we 'made it through the war, and some floods' apparently so everything should be fine.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's basically the same thing as how do you finish the Premier League season. It sounded like Boris was hell bent on giving them a grade.
    It shouldn't be particularly difficult for the teacher to assess their pupils (I'm talking SATs btw), but the scrutiny is very ambiguous.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Disco View Post
    We had a similar(ly pointless and sparse) handout today along with guidelines for hand washing. Bit late seeing as I started on Monday wiping down all communal equipment (clocking in machines, keyboards, pdq's etc) twice a day, and I'm pretty sure people are sniggering behind my back about it. My director openly laughed today at a message from a servicing company about keeping a distance from their staff when they're on site, these are the idiots who are going to make this worse than it needs to be. Still, I've now been bang on about when wfh advice was going to come in, the flower show getting binned, and also schools not lasting the week. Not that I expect them to start taking notice now, we 'made it through the war, and some floods' apparently so everything should be fine.
    Christ, that's diabolical. Even my lot have put a few things in place like no drivers/outside visitors on site.

This is why people will get it.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Christ, that's diabolical. Even my lot have put a few things in place like no drivers/outside visitors on site.

And that's what worries me about here. Two thirds of the deaths in Italy are in Lombardy (so I make you and Shinners right, it must have been there for ages and loads have died from capacity reasons) and while the deaths elsewhere would be bad on their own, it shows what happens if it's not addressed. Does anyone think we've addressed it/we are addressing it?

London has a temporary mortuary now, so that's some level of preparedness I guess.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Get this, our receptionist revealed today that she's pregnant. Their response was to move her work station to an empty office on the other side of the site and tell other staff they can't go in there. Not possible to work from home though, no way to do that. We also have the racist lady in the wholesale department who is now visiting her octogenarian mother every morning before work to make sure she's taking her tablets properly.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And that's what worries me about here. Two thirds of the deaths in Italy are in Lombardy (so I make you and Shinners right, it must have been there for ages and loads have died from capacity reasons) and while the deaths elsewhere would be bad on their own, it shows what happens if it's not addressed. Does anyone think we've addressed it/we are addressing it?

London has a temporary mortuary now, so that's some level of preparedness I guess.
    I think we'll be better prepared than Italy, but if we get some local spike then what can anyone do?

I think the government are now trying their best but too many of the population either have insufficient intellect to understand the measures and why they personally have to adhere to them, or they just don't care. As a result, we will need to go into enforced lockdown tomorrow or Friday.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was thinking more that at this rate, everywhere would look like an Italian local spike.

They're fining people in Madrid who don't have a valid reason to be out, while a significant number of our population are gearing up to get wasted at the weekend.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From the case spread, London's top of the chart but I wonder about their capacity. They might be ready because ... it's London. Manchester must be right over the limit, though. North East and Yorkshire are bottom of the chart but I suspect any spike would fucking ruin the place.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How many beds have we got now? If it's still only 5,500 nationwide, nowhere will be ready.

Be curious to know how they're coping already. Where's Lee?

Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The BBC news presenter is about to have a coughing fit, felt the need to explain it and has now terrified the guest she's interviewing.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How many beds have we got now? If it's still only 5,500 nationwide, nowhere will be ready.

You could do what California's doing and convert some hotels but you still need the staffing and equipment.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Okay for now. Fewer people turning up to ED and we are only ~70% occupied which is really low. We have 18 Covid patients at the minute, up from 9 on Monday. No idea how many are in ICU.

We’ve already lost loads of people to self-isolation. People will be as much a problem as space and kit.

We all know it’s going to be fucking grim. I think there are things in our favour which Italy doesn’t have going for it, but ‘not Italy’ is still very bad. London is probably going to get fucked.

It’s difficult not to be a bit scared, but also important not to panic. The one ‘good’ thing coming out of Italy is lots of data. Average age of death is 80, 75% of those dead had at least two comorbidities. Only 24 deaths in total had no underlying condition. The high rate of young in ICU beds is because young people are being favoured over older/sicker people because they’re probably going to recover with the right treatment.

They’re hopefully not too far off their peak in new cases now. We know the first towns which went into lockdown aren’t reporting very many cases at all. The rest of Italy is a few days behind. Their new death numbers are depressing but also probably the least useful to look at; it takes a while for this to kill you so we’re looking at data which reflects the situation about 2 weeks ago - so before full lockdown anywhere.

Lockdown might not even work. Or at least short term lockdown. China has reported an increase in cases for the first time since they relaxed some measures. Seems most are from people from abroad, since they relaxed foreign travel restrictions. But it’s one data point and relatively small numbers.

Fuck knows.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Regarding the stubborn attitude of pensioners, having spoke to many in my time about work and retirement etc there is a general wisdom that doing nothing puts you in your grave quickly so that is probably fuelling their flouting of the advice. Ask any retired person you know and they will likely have a story about someone they know who retired with no hobbies or plans and carked it in 18 months.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by John Arne View Post
    In the Deaths per Population league table (nations over 550 cases only), Italy continue to lead the way, over 3.5x more than second placed Iran.
    Iran aside (2nd), European nations dominate the Top 6.

Yo

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A little more on the Northern confirmed cases. I know it's cack data but, from an official sense:

The North East is remaining apparently quiet. Newcastle are showing 5 cases and North Tyneside 3. County Durham remains on 'one' with Sunderland. Stockton has 3. As soon as you get into Cumbria and Yorkshire, it reds up. The one hope I have is that this heat map vaguely accurate enough to give you a sense of how areas are shaping up.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by John Arne View Post
    In the Deaths per Population league table (nations over 550 cases only), Italy continue to lead the way, over 3.5x more than second placed Iran.
    Iran aside (2nd), European nations dominate the Top 6.

South Korea are Spurs and The UK are Arsenal in the Jimmy Derby.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As we test more, those number should drop. Assuming we test more outside hospitals. Boris should break that stuff down in the meetings, really. Well, maybe not.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    People are just starting to go a bit more apeshit in Vietnam as the number of daily cases gets higher... we're having a bit of a second wind.

71 cases now, but still zero deaths. Borders are closed to anyone except VN passport holders (who are quarantined for 14 days) if returning from Europe) and all bars and restaurants are closed. Schools and sports have been closed since January.
    Last edited by John Arne; 18-03-2020 at 07:18 PM.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would agree that more tests surely make the fatality percentage go down, as suggested here and by Dr John Campbell. We know what the death figure is we just don't know what the confirmed cases figure is, but we also know it is much higher than the official number.

Still getting the train in to work, it's a fucking plague wagon, not as busy but twats literally holding tissues but not catching their coughs with them and a band of chavs got on looking and sounding like death. I have had no symptoms whatsoever yet coughed when I went in today for the first time since friday (prearranged leave), can only assume it is the office air conditioning. Obviously I will be vigilant and if I have the key symptoms take action, not least because vulnerability wise I am a fat MJ.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's what got me about the office cough. Everyone around me had it. I didn't. One woman came from Spain with it, the woman next to me had it for weeks and took some days off (presumably due to it). The lass behind me still had a cough when I left but her boyfriend didn't catch owt. The woman at the far end got none of it although she's a regular runner.

I almost want a test for the antibodies to see if I've already had it. I feel like that's as important if we want to maintain as much normality as possible.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some posts from page 1 and 2. Credit to @Yevrah, @Baz and @Giggles for the genuine early concern. The less said about @mugbull the better

Quote Originally Posted by Spikey M View Post
    Unless you're already half way to the knackers yard it's no worse than a dose of flu. It's all media hysteria.
    Quote Originally Posted by Baz View Post
    I work in public health and this is sending some of my colleagues into grade 10 panic.
    Hearing a 34 year old died from this is a game changer. Unless he was already suffering from something (it would be good to know) it could throw the "it's just like norml flu" argument out of the window.

And why did they advise against closing borders down? You hear it and it sets the bullshit detector racing, but one would assume they know what they're doing, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Boydy View Post
    Someone in my work was away travelling for the past month in Vietnam and some other bits of South East Asia, I think. She comes back tomorrow.
    Quote Originally Posted by Giggles View Post
    I can’t understand them just letting these people waltz back in.
    Quote Originally Posted by mugbull View Post
    There's approximately a 0% chance any of you will ever have anything to do with this virus. Even in China there's pretty much a 0% chance. I have no idea why you guys are at all concerned about this.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I still want to know about Li Wenliang and his similarly aged mate dying from this. There haven't been any reports of such things from Italy, it's all elderly and underlying etc.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I still want to know about Li Wenliang and his similarly aged mate dying from this. There haven't been any reports of such things from Italy, it's all elderly and underlying etc.
    Xi you later

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Italy's reported 34 year olds and such dying in the ICU. It has to be exposure and working through it.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, I thought I'd heard it had properly fucked some young-ish (40+) Italian doctors, but wasn't sure if they'd actually died.

I don't get the science on this (obviously), but it sounds as though the more exposed you are to it the worse it hits you and can seemingly take a much younger person down as a result, who for all I know, might even be underlying healthy ones.

Do all viruses work that way? Does HIV? Can you catch more HIV?

Man(c) of the People igor_balis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Still plenty of old people coming into the bank. Some grotty bloke literally came to my till yesterday with his fucking debit card in his mouth.

Absolutely shit loads of people coming in today to pay their credit card bills with cash. If this doesn't convince them to set up direct debits then nothing will.

Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Was on the phone with my folks earlier and my mum got all sad and annoyed sounding when I said I didn't know if it was a sensible idea for me to go home this weekend.

Last edited by Boydy; 18-03-2020 at 07:57 PM.