User Tag List

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Ole Goner Solskjaer

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We're still going to have Maguire and Lindelof lolloping about at the back so I wouldn't worry too much.
    @Lofty

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't get it. If you want a director of football, hire a director of football. If you want an interim manager, hire an interim manager.

Steve must be fuming.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He probably wouldn't come to just be a caretaker for 6 months.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It was probably his condition. He's only had two one year stints as head coach in the past decade. I don't think he particularly enjoys managing day to day, and he's never had a job on anywhere near this scale.

It makes sense for him to have a hands-on half season with the squad to get them on board with THE VISION before handing it over to someone he's approved of.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Any word on what table sauces and/or dessert options he is going to ban?

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yevrah View Post
    Don't get it. If you want a director of football, hire a director of football. If you want an interim manager, hire an interim manager.

Steve must be fuming.
    We need both. Bringing him in as manager now and then moving him upstairs when, presumably, Pochettino comes in the summer is pretty much ideal.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What's the 2 year consultancy bit about? He's a manager, not a non-exec director.
    He was a Sporting Director at RB Leipzig while Hassenhuttl was manager so probably something similar.

Man(c) of the People igor_balis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He turned down the mighty Albion in 2012 and we got Steve Clarke instead and that worked out pretty well, maybe utd should get the latter permanently afterwards. I think mulumbu hasn't technically retired yet so he could be the long term midfield answer.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by niko_cee View Post
    He probably wouldn't come to just be a caretaker for 6 months.
    He would if you pay him enough. As it is if he has a bad stint until the end of the season and stinks the place up what credibility will he have as a DoF? Even if he does ok/well, how will that work with whoever the new manager is?

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well you're already talking to a new manager about whatever the fuck it is Fletcher / Murtough are currently meant to be doing so you just throw Ragnick into that conversation.

Which, depending what it is those two do, may be a case of too many cooks but I'm guessing Fletcher is more involved in the development side.

And some people are just better in different roles. Failing as a manager didn't stop Brian Kidd continuing to be a respected coach so Ragnick's job as an interim doesn't necessarily tell you anything about what he'd do as a DoF or whatever the fuck it is he'll be 'consulting' on.

It may well all go to shit, it's a big decision Manchester United are making so recent form says there's a reasonable chance of that, but it needn't be just because it's an unusual way to have gone about it, and it's still preferable to Woowar just having thrown a load of money at whoever the most famous available name is so he can rake in the Twitter adulation.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Floyd View Post
    Any word on what table sauces and/or dessert options he is going to ban?
    Has anybody ever bothered to track how managers have fared after banning ketchup and/or crisps when they've taken on a new job? I wonder if there's any correlation to how they've then gone on to do.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He would if you pay him enough.
    He literally turned down an interim job at Chelsea before Tuchel came in. Or are you going to sit there and tell me Chelsea didn't have the money to convince him?

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    Has anybody ever bothered to track how managers have fared after banning ketchup and/or crisps when they've taken on a new job? I wonder if there's any correlation to how they've then gone on to do.
    Jonathan Liew wrote
    the article
    on this the other day, including this immortal line:

When Kevin Ball took over as caretaker manager from Di Canio at Sunderland, ketchup became an indelible symbol of the liberation: the sauce equivalent of Mussolini’s hanging body in the Piazzale Loreto.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by phonics View Post
    What has he done outside of Leipzig that seems to run pretty competently without him?
    Isn't this proof that he's good?

Mentioned
    199 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Darren Fletcher gave me a blowy.

I'm a twit

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by randomlegend View Post
    He literally turned down an interim job at Chelsea before Tuchel came in. Or are you going to sit there and tell me Chelsea didn't have the money to convince him?
    Well then you move onto the next one. The target was supposedly an interim manager and that isn't what you've gone and done. If you wanted a DoF/or whatever the fuck his role will be next year, why didn't you already have someone to fulfil that?

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post

It may well all go to shit, it's a big decision Manchester United are making so recent form says there's a reasonable chance of that, but it needn't be just because it's an unusual way to have gone about it, and it's still preferable to Woowar just having thrown a load of money at whoever the most famous available name is so he can rake in the Twitter adulation.
    Is it actually preferable - Chelsea seem to do alright going down that road - or is it because you're Man Utd and you do things differently?

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It has a whiff of Plan D about it. Anything to avoid hiring wor Steve.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well then you move onto the next one. The target was supposedly an interim manager and that isn't what you've gone and done. If you wanted a DoF/or whatever the fuck his role will be next year, why didn't you already have someone to fulfil that?
    We've got an interim manager - which we needed - who will then seemingly become something akin to a DoF - which we also have needed for years.

We have, for once, done something genuinely well. There's obviously no guarantee any manager works out, but this in theory this is about the best possible situation.

ram it up your shitpipe Giggles's Avatar
    Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Consultancy is just a meaningless term in all forms of business and soccer is no different. All it means is he’s managed to wangle 30 months wages for 6 months work. Mugs.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is it actually preferable - Chelsea seem to do alright going down that road - or is it because you're Man Utd and you do things differently?
    If the implication is that I'd defend something just because United have done it then it's clear you've read very few of my United-related posts including some of the one you've quoted.

Chelsea have had success with all sorts of managers (the most obvious name, the binman, the journeymen) and tend to move on very quickly either way. Throw enough shit at the wall and some of it'll stick.

That said over the time period in question Chelsea have bought better than United too for the most part.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wasn't that you'd defend something just because Man Utd do it, but more that you'd rather do something differently because you're Man Utd (and aren't like other clubs) - the sort of thing Gary Neville's always banging on about and the same problem that plagued Liverpool for years after their dominance faded.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does anyone here ever say that?

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's not in the United's fans DNA on here to do it that way.

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Has this Ralf joker even played for us before? What a mess.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Aw guys, you were all ready for me.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wasn't that you'd defend something just because Man Utd do it, but more that you'd rather do something differently because you're Man Utd (and aren't like other clubs) - the sort of thing Gary Neville's always banging on about and the same problem that plagued Liverpool for years after their dominance faded.
    Well, either way, no.

Doing it this way isn't my preference, but it might be that if we end up with Ragnick doing DoF stuff and Smallpockets as manager it'll work out. Or it might not. The reason it works or cause of it failing, however it goes, won't be the roundabout route they took getting there. Either things will improve because there are better people in place or it'll fail because they weren't good fits and/ or because the club is still fundamentally a mess.

Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Giggles View Post
    Consultancy is just a meaningless term in all forms of business and soccer is no different. All it means is he’s managed to wangle 30 months wages for 6 months work. Mugs.
    I hear he's gonna be "working" from home two days a week as well.

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I saw some tweet about the ‘Ralph Ragnick university of managers’ and there’s about 3 good ones on a list of 30.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Better rate than Sir Alex Ferguson.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Already got it sussed. Give him a longer consultancy gig.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is that shocking? In late 2020 most people still weren’t sold on Shaw (Telles came in October 2020) but it was from then on Shaw improved over the season.

Needs that kick up the arse again though. Or maybe he needs some defensive organization rather than the vibes we have been running on.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He's a ball-watching pudding. Get Jose Mourinho back in to finish the job.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gareth Southgate can get a tune out of him. Just sayin'.

The Artist Formerly Known as Taz
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Geezer's very vogue amongst FM virgins but you have to ask questions if he's got a 40 year career that hasn't gone near a big name. The rumours of a focus on pressing are promising but with that squad? Lol. They've basically written off the season, just need one of the other 16 teams to pull their finger out.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Already flapping because we've signed Jurgen's hero :-*******)

ram it up your shitpipe Giggles's Avatar
    Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think I know which one I’d rather have.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Last night I dreamed that a smiling Jurgen Klopp was walking down my road doing a meet and greet, knocked on my car window and demanded I get out to shake his hand, which I agreed to. I think the only explanation for this is that Taz is some sort of Freddy Krueger who objected to me calling German managers 'flavour of the month'.

On the other hand, in the dream I remember noting that Klopp was a surprisingly short man (he's actually very tall). Lots going on here.