User Tag List

Page 135 of 173 FirstFirst ... 3585125133134135136137145 ... LastLast
Results 6,701 to 6,750 of 8636

Thread: General gaming discussion

Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’m at that point I get to in every Metroid game. I reveal the whole map yet have no fuckingn idea where I’m supposed to go and now I’m going to have to read a 8000 word guide to find out I have to shoot a wall that isn’t marked.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Prime got that right by slapping a big question mark on the map.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Been playing the Elden Ring Network Test.

Its an absolute fucking banger. Not going to spoil anything, but I had my reservations that it may be a step too much for From, but fucking fuck me they have donned it. Wonderful thing.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is that open to everyone? I fancy checking out tomorrow's window.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nah was a sign-up and random key draw a few weeks back. Millions didn't get in so codes are going for 50 quid or more on Ebay.

I've done the first 3 sessions, 9 hours in total. Its a huge area to explore, stuff everywhere but its only about 10% of the actual full game map. If anyone wants to know anything I can answer, there's a lot of QoL improvements and its just wonderful all round.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, I've seen plenty but wondered if the alpha was more open to the public.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd say its more near the finished product, just some balancin, glitches to sort out and a bit of optimisation for frame rate and it should be good to go. PS has frame pacing issues (as ever), Xbox doesn't. Rock solid 1440p 30fps on my Series S, or 1080 at 60 with some dips.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, and it looks a lot like Dark Souls 3 to me but with a more expansive world. And poise so you don't get rocked back by every hit you take. Is there any hint of a skill tree or are you stuck with a character sheet like the other games?

EDIT: Nevermind. It's a character sheet.
    Last edited by Shindig; 14-11-2021 at 10:27 AM.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Done with Below Zero. Didn't finish the story because I just didn't have the will to do more traipsing about to do so. It's a good game but the original edges it and if there is to be a third I'd rather it felt more like a full on sequel.

I've installed Kingdom Come: Deliverance so let's see if I bounce off that.

ram it up your shitpipe Giggles's Avatar
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Was looking a new golf game and seen PGA Tour 2021 on the Steam store there but it seems to not have a golfer name on it any more and the clips make it look like some sort of jokey arcade type thing. I'm sure I seen clips of a character from Happy Gilmore on the 'trailer' and they were hitting the ball with things like hockey sticks and hot dogs. What's happened there?

Mentioned
    139 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh fuck it's The Golf Club, that's exactly the game I was looking to replace. Have EA gone totally from it now then and there's no alternative?

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With zero Googling that just sounds to me like it's still probably the proper game but they've got paid-for 'banter' add-ons.

Steam usually has multiple trailers for something like that, are they all like that? Or is it just the first one that comes up (which may be a new one specifically for the additional content if my guess is right)?

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tesco have gone mental for deals on games, clubcard needed for some. Ratchet and Clank rift apart £25 with CC, Deathloop £29 (maybe with CC) etc

Mentioned
    139 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    With zero Googling that just sounds to me like it's still probably the proper game but they've got paid-for 'banter' add-ons.

Steam usually has multiple trailers for something like that, are they all like that? Or is it just the first one that comes up (which may be a new one specifically for the additional content if my guess is right)?
    I see there's an EA one PGA 22 coming out at some stage anyway. There's a few videos on YouTube.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Giggles View Post
    Oh fuck it's The Golf Club, that's exactly the game I was looking to replace. Have EA gone totally from it now then and there's no alternative?
    It's The Golf Club but a few versions down the line, made by the Golf Club people but with added PGA Tour licensing and stuff. It's a pretty good game, as good as there is in the genre I would say. And yes, the banter stuff is just add-ons to attract the general gaming crowd (not sure why they bother doing this). The golf itself is well done.

There is a new Tiger Woods game allegedly coming out at some point but not sure when. EA haven't been involved for years.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I tell a lie, looks like EA are getting involved again according to Google. If they get Augusta on board it will sell through the roof and probably be crap.

Release is also 'delayed indefinitely' so you're best off with the 2021 game.

Mentioned
    139 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Floyd View Post
    It's The Golf Club but a few versions down the line, made by the Golf Club people but with added PGA Tour licensing and stuff. It's a pretty good game, as good as there is in the genre I would say. And yes, the banter stuff is just add-ons to attract the general gaming crowd (not sure why they bother doing this). The golf itself is well done.

There is a new Tiger Woods game allegedly coming out at some point but not sure when. EA haven't been involved for years.
    Looking at that video EA seem to be bringing out a 2022 version, it's mentioned on their website too, and strangely it has a PGA Tour logo also. No sign of a pro golfer tie-in on it yet.

If the putting is the same in this 2K21 game as it was in TGC2 then I'll happily wait for EA. It always ruined what was a really good golf game in every other aspect for me.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like the 2k one but I find the difficulty hard to get right. The timing of swings is also broken as fuck.

I didn't even know that the banter stuff was in the game.

Mentioned
    139 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It actually sounds like they've made it even worse.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/video...is-par-course/

Putting can be a nightmare when you first play the game. This was true for “The Golf Club 2019” as well, which didn’t include a putting meter and required players to “feel” it out. “PGA Tour 2K21” introduces a putting meter, but a quirky one.Most golf games use a power meter that is proportional to your distance to the hole. For example, if you were 30 feet from the hole, the power meter may top out at 50 feet and you’d need start your follow through when the meter was three fifths full. If you were 3 feet from the hole, however, the meter may top out at 5 feet, which made for a slower moving power bar and thus made it easier to time and sink the putt. That makes sense when it comes to what should be easier putts. “PGA Tour 2K21” pegs every single putt to a maximum distance, which was almost always over 140 feet. That meant missing the proper spot on the putting meter by a small percentage (equivalent to just a fraction of a second) could send the ball screaming by the hole. And that’s on level ground. Catch a slope and the ball could settle further from the hole than you began.
    Midrange putts between 10-20 feet that should have been birdie attempts became nightmares to manage par. Putts in close were trickier than those far away. I’d have to slam the thumbstick forward to get the timing right, which is the opposite of the nice, easy tempo you want to feel when you’re putting both in a game or real life.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I found you just get used to it after a while. The first 4 or 5 rounds (i.e. all the reviewer will have played) are tricky.

Mentioned
    139 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe it is improved, though from the above it's hard to see how, but I played a lot of 2019 and putting sucked any small bit of enjoyment out of the game.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bought PGA 2K21 (or whatever it's called) on the Switch and thought it was very good.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I promised myself to not buy anything else this year but Doom Eternal at £13.74 was too good to pass up.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Soldier View Post
    I'd say its more near the finished product, just some balancin, glitches to sort out and a bit of optimisation for frame rate and it should be good to go. PS has frame pacing issues (as ever), Xbox doesn't. Rock solid 1440p 30fps on my Series S, or 1080 at 60 with some dips.
    Is it difficult? Would I enjoying it knowing I loath punishing and difficult games (unless you can at least grind your way to being overpowered).

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mazuuurk View Post
    Is it difficult? Would I enjoying it knowing I loath punishing and difficult games (unless you can at least grind your way to being overpowered).
    Its Souls level difficulty. So if you enjoy that, than you'll enjoy this.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Shit. No I don't I want to cruise through games. Shame.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Didn't you used to wax lyrical about how amazing Starcraft is?

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Got PS5 Guardians of the Galaxy for £29 from Tesco with a clubcard

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by randomlegend View Post
    Didn't you used to wax lyrical about how amazing Starcraft is?
    Ah yeah. Perhaps years of that has damaged me a bit. To be fair, the nature of multiplayer games tends to be that they are inherently "hard" insofar as you are always matched against an opponent of equal skill. But yeah Starcraft is very much designed to be a challenging game that makes it very hard to be "good".

I enjoyed playing a lot but it used to leave me quite irritated and frustrated at times, it's not very casual so to speak. Since I moved to playing on Playstation I have become a 100% casual gamer. I play ideally story-rich RPGs (only single player) on the easiest setting and still spend a bunch of time grinding so I can end up walking around and slay dragons with a wooden stick if I so choose.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Finally got to the end game content on MHW.

It's so fucking hard, I am getting abused like a Catholic school boy

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    eFootball's 1.0 patch has been delayed into the spring. Never saw it coming, lads.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bought Marvel's Avengers. Heard it's a lot better now and I couldn't say no for £15.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's on GamePass so I'll probably play a bit of it at some point until it wants me to grind to progress.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Early impressions of Doom Eternal is that it's very good. Almost too much to keep track of but effectively a better version of Doom / Quake. They're one and the same now.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been playing Kingdom Come: Deliverance and I don't think it's really for me. I thought I'd bounce off the combat and while it's tough I don't mind that. You start as a barely-trained blacksmith's son, you shouldn't be immediately schooling fully-armoured knights with the first sword you find. And it's not jank either, it does have some very Bethesda-y wobbles but it seems the game's in a much better state than it was at release.

It's just got quite a lot of busywork. Sleep, food, health, washing, mending armour, not even being able to read at the start of the game, and it sounds like getting good at any of the skills is either very expensive (so you need to spend time accruing said wealth) or time-consuming, and while I'll happily sink hours into a game I don't want 60% of those hours be just doing stuff that'll let me progress the game. I think there is probably a game in here somewhere that a lot of people would enjoy but I think even a super-polished version of this wouldn't be for me. And what would normally pull me through a game where I don't much care for the game itself is the story if it's any good, but this seems a fairly standard revenge plot and it keeps putting scenes and conversations that would be interesting to play in cut-scenes. And boy does the game like its cut-scenes even though they're not desperately engaging.

Green Man Gaming have Horizon Zero Dawn for under £17 and I'm really tempted to just sack off Kingdom Come and go play that instead.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Assassin's Creed Valhalla is just over £20 now on PS5. I never got the series until Odyssey which I now love as a bloated touristy slash em up, is Valhalla more of the same?

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think Mahow played it, can't remember if anybody else did. I may end up with it at some point but I thought it looked a liiiiiittle dull? But very generally speaking AssCreed is a bit "if you liked one you'll like the next one."

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My concern is the setting being the make or break. Ancient Greece or Rome, sign me up. Vikings moping about the midlands though, not sure

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah that's kinda what's putting me off to be honest.

Have you played Origins? I didn't see it through but Giza and Alexandria are ace and mooching round proto-breweries up the Nile was fun.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Odyssey's really the first I gave any time to and that was after at least a year of ignoring it, might have a look at the older ones as long as they're not huge steps backwards?

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Origins was the one where they changed it up to be more RPG-lite and changed up some of the combat and stuff.

Given how cheap it's liable to be during the sales it might be worth a bash as it was the one where they leaned into the sort of day-to-day detail of the world you're gallivanting about in like you'll have seen in Odyssey.

Of the older (which must be super cheap on sale now) Black Flag and Syndicate are my go-to suggestions. Syndicate because London and the dual-protagonists are fun and you have a base on a moving train.

Black Flag because it's you and the lads sailing about in the sunny Caribbean singing sea shanties.

I wouldn't bother with anything older than that. I love the Ezio games but I imagine they feel a bit rough round the edges now.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I liked Valhalla but it didn't really feel like an Arse Creed game. There was very little stealth to it.

Story was far too long, Eivor felt really clunky when climbing and there were loads of shit "puzzles" with loot chests.

Oh and the synchronization points were pretty bland.

Combat was brilliant though.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like the sailing and tiny islands in Oddysey so Black Flag might be the one for me. I want sunshine and beaches over rain and Northamptonshire

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Black Flag is by far the best one.

I'd say Valhalla is probably my second favourite but I haven't played enough of Origins or Odyssey.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Black Flag is excellent, Wullie, so definitely give that a bash at whatever the cheapest is you can get it during the sails. It's also one of the one where the mystical / sci-fi bullshit is least prominent as I recall which is another win.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I played a fair bit of Origins and while it was great for a time it was let down by just being a bit soulless, caused I feel by it being caught between being a traditional Arse Greed game and an RPG, but not really delivering fully on either.

That said, Vikings hitting each other at 60FPS and in 4K for £20, might pull me back in.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, that element puts me off. I've come across a hint of it in Odyssey so I hope it's not going to go completely mythological otherwise I'll just mooch about the islands smashing the forts and doing side missions. I also hate the bits where it pulls you out and you're some modern day dork in a VR headset too, just have it set in the past dickheads!

I'm probably going to get Valhalla anyway as well, I've thought about it too much that curiosity won't let me leave it now

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    Black Flag is excellent, Wullie, so definitely give that a bash at whatever the cheapest is you can get it during the sails. It's also one of the one where the mystical / sci-fi bullshit is least prominent as I recall which is another win.
    Quite a lot of the mystical in Valhalla.

So that's another reason to skip if you're not a fan.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wullie View Post
    just have it set in the past dickheads!
    I 100% agree with this. By all means have the Assassins and Templars if you like as a reason to hold things together a bit but the alien wizard stuff is always, without a single, exception, total shit.

There is a contingent of people out there who genuinely wanted to eventually get a modern Arsecreed with Desmond as the full protagonist and I'm not sure there's a gaming opinion I can understand less. He was a tedious little dweeb and as you say, the bits where you're dragged out of history are the absolute fucking pits.

Quote Originally Posted by Yevrah View Post
    I played a fair bit of Origins and while it was great for a time it was let down by just being a bit soulless, caused I feel by it being caught between being a traditional Arse Greed game and an RPG, but not really delivering fully on either.
    I think I just didn't care about Bayek or his story. Once I'd seen Giza and climbed the Lighthouse my interest dwindled rapidly which is a shame because there is some real beauty in that game. Paddling down the Nile delta watching the populace going about their business as the sun rises or sets is wonderful.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Andy Mahowry View Post
    Quite a lot of the mystical in Valhalla.

So that's another reason to skip if you're not a fan.
    Yeah fuck that then unless I take a notion when it's mega cheap at some point.

It's a pity really because this live-service AssCreed thing they want to do is bound to be a load of old grindy shit.
    Last edited by Ian; 25-11-2021 at 11:17 PM.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Blag Flag is mega - there are shanties

I'm gonna pick up the others once they're on sale, so it sounds like the time could be now.