Page 20 of 43 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast
Results 951 to 1,000 of 2122

Thread: F1 2021 - Covid 2: Viral Boogaloo

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mate, you were six tenths off the Williams.

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I believe the penalty is applied to the sprint today rather than the race, so it’s not quite as simple for Lewis. He could make useful gains in the sprint.

The interesting thing is Max went over and fiddled with his rear wing before it was tested, which is a parc fermé breach. If I were Mercedes I’d say Max messing with it makes the test void as it’s been tampered with by a third party.

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shindig View Post

Mate, you were six tenths off the Williams.
    He was up on his last lap, and when you've been last in literally every qualifying session, it must be shit to feel like your mistake cost that opportunity.

Not a defence for the man as he has done a lot of pretty ropey stuff, but as a racing driver he's obviously striving to be better in an awful car.

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also, I don't think Max actually touches either car. Not clear from the video I've seen anyway, seems like he's just measuring his rear wing against the Merc.

In the interest of the championship, I think no one should receive a penalty here. Let them get on with it and see how the Sprint goes.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not sure he touches it either. Just doing his Inspector Seb due diligence. There's a photographer right in the thick of it, too.

ram it up your shitpipe Giggles's Avatar
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He’ll get done to balance it up though, because Mercedes and Hamilton. I’d be surprised Wolff hasn’t convinced them that he actually made the gap on their car and they’re just victims.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gray Fox View Post
    I believe the penalty is applied to the sprint today rather than the race, so it’s not quite as simple for Lewis. He could make useful gains in the sprint.

The interesting thing is Max went over and fiddled with his rear wing before it was tested, which is a parc fermé breach. If I were Mercedes I’d say Max messing with it makes the test void as it’s been tampered with by a third party.
    This is the dumbest rule ever, how is it a grid penalty if it's applied before the grid is decided? It's like knocking you back a few places in Q1, it's barely a penalty at that point.

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It’s because the sprint is seen as a race which provides the result for the full race. His qualifying time will be deleted but he can still make progress in the sprint. If there were no sprint he’d likely have a pit lane start on Sunday.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hang on, are we talking about the component change penalty or the DRS penalty?

If it's the former then it's bullshit as it makes the severity of penalties needlessly inconsistent, and if it's the latter it's still silly because they went to great pains at Silverstone to tell us the sprint wasn't a race but 'sprint qualifying' so you should lose your Friday time and go to the back/15th/10th depending on which sessions it was in.

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Component change penalty applies to Sundays full race. Assuming this DRS one goes against Lewis, it will apply to Saturdays sprint.

Quite why it’s taking so long is strange. It either opens too wide or it doesn’t.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They're looking for an excuse not to ruin the show.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The best thing they can do for the show is penalise Hamilton for the wing and then penalise Verstappen 3 grid places or whatever the penalty is for pissing about in parc fermé. If they let them both off it's a bit of a joke.

Mentioned
    139 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Component change penalty applies to Sundays full race. Assuming this DRS one goes against Lewis, it will apply to Saturdays sprint.

Quite why it’s taking so long is strange. It either opens too wide or it doesn’t.
    They’re photoshopping a twirly moustache on Verstappen in the video.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In other news I see the racist Kyle Larson has won NASCAR, for some reason all three seasons I've watched I get to about three races to go and lose interest. Turns out 36 races is a few too many.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For those struggling to find start times etc., the one thing the F1 website does well is start times. Just go to the homepage, scroll halfway down and you see all the races lined up, wait a second and it auto opens the current race and shows the start times in your country for each session. Bonza.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The practice session between the sprint qualifying and the sprint race always feels completely pointless.

Mentioned
    139 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did they decide anything yet?

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    50k Euro fine for Verstappen.

Hamilton DQ'ed from qualfying.
    Last edited by Shindig; 13-11-2021 at 05:09 PM.

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And that's pretty much it for the title race.

Mentioned
    139 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What does that mean? They’ve already done qualifying.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He starts from the back of the sprint race. Then he gets a 5 place penalty from wherever he finishes in the sprint race.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No, the sprint race is 'qualifying'. So Hamilton is at the back for that, and then will be at the back for the actual race once you factor in the 5 place penalty.

Agent Valtteri into turn 1 is Merc's only hope. They do seem to have been very bad with off track/tactics/management stuff this year.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No, the sprint is qualifying. So does he just not start in it or do they mean he was DQ'd from the practice session which just happens to be the same as normal qualy and sets the start order for actual qualifying.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The fanboy outrage is quite funny.

Having a car in breach of the regs is a fairly open and shut thing.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, he was DQ'd from Friday's session so starts at the back of the sprint.

Mentioned
    139 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ah, so it’s as expected. They’ve just worded it to sound like they’re coming down harder.

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He was that fast that he should clear the field quite well, but he'll be right in the carbon fibre zone for turn 1. His best hope is to survive that and start clearing the field. If he can clear up to a decent points position and get a safety car(agent Latifi crashes on the start straight) he could find himself up near the podium.

Max is going out of this weekend with more than a race win in hand, assuming his car doesn't go pop.

Mentioned
    139 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He was that fast that he should clear the field quite well, but he'll be right in the carbon fibre zone for turn 1. His best hope is to survive that and start clearing the field. If he can clear up to a decent points position and get a safety car(agent Latifi crashes on the start straight) he could find himself up near the podium.

Max is going out of this weekend with more than a race win in hand, assuming his car doesn't go pop.
    Was he that fast because of the wing though? Genuine question as I’ve no idea what difference it would make.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by niko_cee View Post
    The fanboy outrage is quite funny.

Having a car in breach of the regs is a fairly open and shut thing.
    People do seem to take these things weirdly seriously.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Giggles View Post
    Was he that fast because of the wing though? Genuine question as I’ve no idea what difference it would make.
    Depends how much larger the slot was than it should have been and there is a nice long straight, but it's unlikely to account for all of the margin.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sky just showed highlights from an early 80's Brazilian GP and it's amazing to see hordes of mechanics wandering about in tiny shorts as well as Murray Walker conning me into believing a Derek Warwick pitstop could be 'sensational', what a master he was.

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Brazil has a short DRS zone compared to other tracks really so maybe a tenth or two could have been gained.

Rain dances in the Hamilton motor home tonight, I think.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    F1 fanboys in general (I think this is a post-DTS thing) are a weird phenomenon, even in the peak Schumacher hate years I was never partisan enough for/against any particular driver to let it cloud my judgement. F1 is more of a sport where you should kind of be a fan of everyone, while preferring some over others. Watching it like you'd watch your football team or something can't be a healthy process.

Mentioned
    139 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Floyd View Post
    F1 fanboys in general (I think this is a post-DTS thing) are a weird phenomenon, even in the peak Schumacher hate years I was never partisan enough for/against any particular driver to let it cloud my judgement. F1 is more of a sport where you should kind of be a fan of everyone, while preferring some over others. Watching it like you'd watch your football team or something can't be a healthy process.
    Fucking lol.

Mentioned
    139 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hard to see him in the top 10 for the main race which should make great watching tomorrow anyway.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You love Ferrari and hate the Brits, I'm the opposite, neither of us are the demented kind of weirdos you get having arguments on social media.

Mentioned
    139 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Floyd View Post
    You love Ferrari and hate the Brits, I'm the opposite, neither of us are the demented kind of weirdos you get having arguments on social media.
    I don’t really just ‘hate the brits’ when it comes to F1. Your media (I like partisan, but it’s still the only the only avenue I have to watch F1) make me dislike the ones I do like a little bit more, but nationalities aside Hamilton and Russell just come across as pricks.

I more like Ferrari because I can’t get my head around the irrational hatred for them on here. Or one I don’t fully understand at least.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Beyond the initial fascination I've always been a fan of F1 first, you obviously have favourite teams/drivers but I'd still be watching if they all folded or retired (which they frequently have). The frothing tends to show up on social media which is just how those places work, only the most extreme of views gets any traction.

Mentioned
    139 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, all that ramble of mine above aside, Twitter really is a special place for special people a lot of the time. Special not being a good thing.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Giggles View Post
    I don’t really just ‘hate the brits’ when it comes to F1. Your media (I like partisan, but it’s still the only the only avenue I have to watch F1) make me dislike the ones I do like a little bit more, but nationalities aside Hamilton and Russell just come across as pricks.
    If you're watching F1 for well rounded lovable chappies then good luck, even the nicest of them would knife your granny for a few tenths a lap. You;re right on the media thing though, but I think it would be same anywhere, the presentation is all about the current narrative and branding.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, I was never against Schumacher because he was absolutely the fastest man of his era. I can't stay mad at that. Same goes for Vettel. Dominance is boring to watch but really difficult to achieve. The twitter mob tend to associate cheating with everything they don't like.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I never wanted Schumacher to win but I still thought it was bullshit when they screwed Ferrari/Bridgestone in 2006(?). Once you start advocating harsher penalties for people you don't like then you might as well not bother with the sport at all.

Mentioned
    139 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Disco View Post
    If you're watching F1 for well rounded lovable chappies then good luck, even the nicest of them would knife your granny for a few tenths a lap. You;re right on the media thing though, but I think it would be same anywhere, the presentation is all about the current narrative and branding.
    That’s true, though there was always something I liked about the more breezy cockiness of a Button (and now Norris I think) than what Hamilton and Russell come across as.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The more pictures I see of Russell outside of F1 the more of a rich boy tosser he looks, put a shirt on ffs.

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My dislike of Ferrari comes from being younger and seeing the German man in that red car winning all of the time.

Much like now the youth will grow up disliking the Silver/Black cars.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I first watched F1 in I think late 1994, Adelaide was one of my first races, which solidified a pro-Hill, anti-Schumacher feeling and there has been I think a clear family tree of allegiances since then - I liked Ferrari until Schumacher joined/was a threat with them, then hated them because they were always up against Hamilton. Now Leclerc and Sainz are with Ferrari I'm almost coming round to liking them again.

This did involve a very awkward period in 2005-6 when I had to be pro-Alonso, probably my least favourite era.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Man, Lewis could win tomorrow with that pace.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Now fair play, that was a really great sprint race. Helped by Hamilton being out of place and it being on the best racing circuit on the calendar.

Epic drive by Sainz.

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, that was great. Bottas is some boy

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's obscene from Lewis.

I expected him maybe up to about 10th with all of the DRS trains.