User Tag List

Page 31 of 32 FirstFirst ... 2129303132 LastLast
Results 1,501 to 1,550 of 1591

Thread: Football Manager 2021

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Surely it's bad juju to get rid of someone called Blessing @Smjffy?

I am assuming you've tried him as a winger?
    Last edited by Adramelch; 17-10-2021 at 10:18 PM.

Fuck like you cook.
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yevrah and Oxford City.

An absolute cracker of a read that.

Toggle Spoiler

Fuck like you cook.
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Adramelch View Post

I did until I had to shift Parker there so Blessing went central. I could use Parker up top but that means I'd have to go back to three up front as I don't want to drop Cummings and I can't drop Blake.

Just feel like I'm not getting a good return for him, especially given he's quite expensive wage wise.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So, while I complained about the bonkers schedule and the ridiculous Leicester game, the truth is that we only needed 2 points in those 4 games. We mustered a MASSIVE three points, but even zero would have been enough since City lost their two remaining games:

The silly thing being, that's exactly how many points we got last season, when we finished sixth, and I can tell you that we were (ever so slightly) worse this season as we scored one less goal and conceded five more. But still, Champions League awaits. United somehow remembered they are a good team and demolished pretty much everybody, earning a record 102 points and scoring a record 113 goals. Seeing as they are our cryptonite when it comes to big teams, this means that we did better than our competition (who were collectively horrible as you can see) in the rest of the games and that's what got us 3rd place. And, miraculously, Diaz finally managed to finish top scorer:

Sulejmani is the guy that beat him the last two seasons, but even though they demolished the league, he failed to do so this season.

You will have noticed that City ended up qualifying for the Champions League anyway, by virtue of winning the Europa League final versus Rangers (!), after beating us in the semis:

All in all, a tougher run than last season, yet we still did very well and were in fact close to taking City to extra time, but truth is they were the better team over the two games. In other news, United also won the Champions League by beating Everton on penalties in the final, as well as the league cup. Arsenal managed to salvage their disastrous season through a FA cup win over Chelsea, the team that knocked us out in the semis. Last but not least, a special mention to Sheff Wed who got into Europe, completely out nowhere, almost doubling their points compared to last season. I don't recall the last time I saw a team getting hard-carried by a player or two, but their pair of strikers bagged an incredible 61 (out of 77) league goals between them.

As for our squad:

Another 40 goals from Diaz, bringing his total for the club up to 122 in 3 seasons. That said, this season was his worst of the three, as for the first time he actually had a goalless spell, lasting two full months. Bartos struggled to adjust to the AMC position, however his stats are on par with Antunovic and Blanco from the previous 3 seasons, so I can't complain too much, but it might be one of the positions we'll look to improve on. Ramirez also had a great first season here, so with him being just 20 and Bartos being 23 I think we have that position (which has been problematic for us in general) sorted for the foreseeable future. Finally, I made some tweaks to our corner routine, meaning we got more goals from our defenders and Ismoilov racked up an incredible 24 assists.

The (potentially bad) news is that we are going through yet another potential takeover and having a transfer embargo for the second consecutive time just as we are entering a transfer window is annoying to say the least.
    Last edited by Adramelch; 17-10-2021 at 11:00 PM.

Mentioned
    200 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm a twit

Senior Member Alan Shearer The 2nd's Avatar
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Currently in one of my addictive FM spells. Still going strong in my FM2012 save...has anyone else encountered something like this before?

I've never seen a ratio like it.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Get his attributes up.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Closest I had before was a chap who scored 47 in 28 games.

Still got 8 games left. Usually start resting him in the league and saving him for the European cup but might play him as much as possible and see what he can get to.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I once got 85 goals out of Alan Shearer in 01/02 by man-marking the keeper. And copious reloads.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You could get over 100 from RvN in a season, in whatever patch he rocked up in.

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So that's Fernando Torres in the timeline without the crippling knee injuries.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We're once again at the halfway point of the season and it's been quite a ride so far. First off, the signings:

We were on the market for an affordable central defender that would improve on our current starters and this guy got transfer-listed by PSG so we snapped him up for a club-record 22m.

A transfer we arranged back in March. He comes with very high potential and he's incredibly versatile so I expect that he will see a decent amount of football here. Cost us just above 7m.

Got to admit that this was an impulse buy, rather than something we really needed. He was rated at 4.5 stars whenever we signed him (and I don't see why he's now at 3.5, but not like that matters) and the concept was that I wanted to have another top rated striker at the club, in case Diaz went through another dry spell or, god forbid, picked up an injury. Seeing as he will want first team football, however, the plan is to use him on the right as an inside forward, since, despite Reyes' consistency, it's not like he's had any impressive seasons here. In the end, what started as an impulse buy ended up being a great decision, since this happened at the start of November:

In terms of the league, our first half of the season is pretty much the same as the last couple of seasons, however this time around things are very competitive at the top with only 5 points separating 1st from 7th. Unlike last season, we've already had most of the big teams at home, so I am excepting a dip in results come spring.

And that brings us to the exciting part of the season, that being the Champions League. The board are expecting us to reach the first knockout round, which I find a bit preposterous given that we were seeded 4th in the draw. Nevertheless, we got a fairly reasonable group, comprising of Juventus, Porto and Rangers, thankfully avoiding the group of death that would have us playing PSG, Atletico and Milan instead. Having beaten Porto relatively easily in the Europa League last season, I fancied our chances of going through, and go through we did:

Most of our wins were relatively tight affairs, but we were the better team in all of them, so I am glad that was reflected in the final scorelines. On the contrary, it might seem like we got demolished in Italy, but Juventus essentially fluked their way to three goals in what was otherwise a fairly tight affair as well, albeit one that they probably deserved to win. We were drawn against Dortmund in the first knockout round, and while it could have been easier, with Club Brugge and Ajax as options, I am just glad we avoided Barcelona, Atletico and Bayern.

All in all, I am happy with our performance so far. That said, I don't really fancy our chances at returning to the Champions League next season, as we have a fairly hard schedule ahead and most of the teams have been fairly competitive so far. I am just hoping that the money from this season's run as well as the (hopefully) increased reputation will allows to go for players of a higher calibre, as for now our ceiling seems to be "good Premier League player".

Man(c) of the People igor_balis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Star ratings are relative only to the rest of your other players, it has nothing to do with how good they are in terms of the league etc.

Mentioned
    200 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's certainly something I miss in 01/02. Star ratings. No idea of my actual best 11, I just play the ones I like.

'Compare players' is good though. Barely used it back in the day but it's a bit of a godsend really.
    I'm a twit

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He remained 4.5 for like the first month with us and then just randomly dropped a full star randomly. Usually it's form related when that happens but it didn't feel like it's the case here. Anyway, I don't care much about stars.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yevrah View Post
    You could get over 100 from RvN in a season, in whatever patch he rocked up in.
    League only?

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nah, all comps.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That makes more sense. I save this guy for the league and late stages of the champions league so would be interesting to see what he could get playing every game possible.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Absolute filth at League 2 level.

Mentioned
    200 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Third season complete:

Chanko is mega.

Also lost the FA Cup final 1-0 to Premier League winners Arsenal so I'm in the UEFA Cup again next season. Could do without the distraction from trying to win the Premier League tbh, considering the extra money isn't even noticeable.
    I'm a twit

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I haven't got CM 01-02 installed on this PC. That'll change at the weekend. All those names, man. All that's missing is an injured David Prutton.

Fuck like you cook.
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pre season is turning into a bit of a slog and I've only completed six weeks since end of last season. This however has me stumped.

The one that got away?

Compared to my current no1.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Liverpool went and bought my back-up goalkeeper for like 150k when I was in my first season in the Championship. I guess AI likes to gather goalkeepers, just in case.

Fuck like you cook.
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We're going to find out today.

Nearly £250M in sales at this moment in time as we look to reduce the squad. I want most of them out of the league so they don't come back to haunt me on a regular basis. This is the last season for YDWAWK as I just feel it's getting a little stale which is why I've stalled this season so maybe after this year we'll start signing players instead as there are so many I want to try manage.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Our best season yet has come to an end. This happened at some point in February, for the first time in our history:

Obviously, I didn't expect it to last, but it was still a very nice moment. As it turns out we weren't that far off:

In fact, I'd say we had a realistic chance of winning the title, but fixture congestion meant we threw stupid points, losing away to Stoke and Burnley of all teams, and drawing at home to Cardiff, with a Gateshead classic, conceding an equaliser in injury time. All those, as well as an expected loss at Anfield, happened in the same month, most notably a month we played 9 games in. Still, we managed to improve our points total over the previous two seasons, and still made the Champions League. I went with my plan of only fielding our second string in the cups, which means our first team players got some valuable rest time, but the problem is our second string won even the challenging games, which led to this stupid scheduling. Speaking of cups, we had a deep run in the FA cup:

We managed to beat Liverpool's first team with our second string, when we barely manage to keep up with them in the league games, when we play our strongest squad. That set-up a semi-final against Arsenal, in which I decided to play a strong squad, resulting in us being 5-0 up after 45 minutes. Then we just simply switched off and gave them hopes of getting back into the game, but conceding 5 goals would have been silly even for us. Everton were waiting in the final, a team that we hadn't lost to (or dropped points for that matter) in the last 3.5 years. That's a good sign right?

Toggle Spoiler

Last, but not least, Europe.

We essentially managed to kill the tie against Dortmund in the first leg, so I fielded backup players in the return fixutre and we almost paid for it. Still we went through and next up were Barcelona. We inexplicably only mustered a draw at home, with them scoring from their singular shot of the game, while we wasted chance after chance (notice a pattern?). Everyone thought we were done after that game, but we proved them wrong as we played excellently in Camp Nou, winning 3-1, even missing a penalty. Then Atletico waited in what was an infuriating tie. We were the better team, but 2 out of the 3 goals we conceded were from corners, and we somehow managed to miss a penalty in each game (meaning we missed 3 consecutive penalties). Seeing as Juventus were waiting in the final, it feels like it was a golden opportunity to win the whole thing. Still, I am delighted that we made the semis in our debut season, showing the world we are a force to be reckoned with. As a sidenote, at the end of the season we received 7m from Champions League TV revenue. That has to be wrong surely?

Onto the squad:

As I showed in my previous updated, Diaz picked a 3 month injury which definitely showed in our scoring, but, even more importantly, affected him. He just wasn't the same player afterwards, and while he did manage to pick another 12 goals after returning, that amount of goals in 4 months just isn't up to his standard. Hopefully, he'll be back to his old self next season. That said, Renan proved to be a magnificent signing as he replaced him up front and kept us more than competitive. He was definitely the MVP of the season, as he played in three different positions for extended periods of time and still managed to provide the goods. Ramirez wasn't as good as last season, but he also missed about 2.5 months through two different injuries, which didn't help. Us playing Renan as an inside forward on the opposite wing also meant fewer crosses came Ramirez' way, so that contributed a bit. Onto the negative points, Luce once again has a good average rating but I just feel he's not a keeper that actually wins us points, so I will be actively looking for a replacement. Ismoilov is also now on my radar. Him missing 3 penalties made him a target, but the truth is that I don't know that his set-piece taking is enough to keep him in the team. The American youngster I brought in last summer seems to be a much better player so I think he'll dethrone Ismoilov.

I've lined up some very exciting transfers, so I am also expecting people to leave. Apart from Luce, I will be looking to offload Ndlovu as well. He's a good player overall, but he's not good enough to be our backup striker, he is occupying a foreign slot and I reckon we can get upwards of 30m for him. Humberto will also be leaving, and joining him will be a few of the youngsters I've signed that haven't met my expectations.
    Last edited by Adramelch; 20-10-2021 at 12:39 PM.

Mentioned
    200 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Everton? Get outta here.
    I'm a twit

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They won another one about 7-8 years ago and have finished 2nd twice since then. Also won the Champions League two seasons ago and made the final the season after.

Fuck like you cook.
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    6th is the highest they have ever finished on mine and that was last season although they have lifted the Europa Conference League twice. 2022 and 2032.

Enrico Chiesa is their oldest ever goalscorer. I love getting deep into it when the current players start taking over everywhere.

Fuck like you cook.
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Toggle Spoiler

Six weeks?
    https://imgur.com/dM4f8JVhttps://imgur.com/dM4f8JVhttps://imgur.com/dM4f8JV

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm assuming they changed his squad status or whatever it's called now, not long after he joined and he's chucked the toys out of the pram.

Also, Wesley Sneijder as DoF?

Fuck like you cook.
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gray Fox View Post
    I'm assuming they changed his squad status or whatever it's called now, not long after he joined and he's chucked the toys out of the pram.

Also, Wesley Sneijder as DoF?
    I also have:

Gary Cahill, Dimitar Berbatov, James Beattie, James Collins, Cristiano Ronaldo, Jermain Defoe, Joao Ferreira, Hendo, Robbie Keane, Luka Modric, Sergio Ramos, Sam Vokes, Robin van Persie, and of course, James Milner.

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just a quick update on our first season in the Championship with Slough Town as we enter the business end of the season. It's been a really solid season in general and we seem to be pretty safely set for a mid-table finish with 10 games to go.

We've been a little streaky at times, following up a 6 game stretch without a win over Christmas with a 7 game unbeaten run through January and February. One of the most important things was signing Papadopoulos onto a new deal - it took about 4 months of sulking but finally in December, his unhappiness relented and I swooped in with a new 4 year contract offer. It upped his wages from £700 p/w to £3.5k p/w, and he insisted on a minimum fee release clause for PL teams (which I maxed out to £12.5m), but it's key to lock him down - he's once again been brilliant this season with 7 goals and 7 assists from central midfield.

The aim is to finish strong, hopefully in the top half. I'm currently scouring youth teams across Europe for some out of contract youngsters that I can bring in and develop. Unfortunately Oxford City, my affiliate, are floundering in 19th in the National League South, despite the best efforts of a young Kiwi full back I sent on loan, the ONLY player of mine that accepted going there for a season.

Fuck like you cook.
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Blake.

Toggle Spoiler

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good season by the looks of it thommo. I remember my first season being a series of one goal wins and say three/four goal losses, so by your goal difference I am assuming that hasn't been the case for you. You are on track to finish where we did in our second season.

Fuck like you cook.
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What would you do? He's got one year left on his deal and he's pretty miffed at the moment.

Toggle Spoiler

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks like the 22 Beta drops tonight

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I expect back to back 12-0 wins by dawn.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Out now lads

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Time for (yet another) update. It was a very busy, as well as high spending, transfer window. I sold a lot of players that just weren't up to our standards anymore, which brought about 170m in, meaning we had a warchest™, which coupled with our now high reputation of 4.5 stars, made me decide to make big changes in the squad:

Toggle Spoiler

In terms of action, we've been nothing sort of magnificent:

Just a solitary loss all season, to Leeds of all teams. The big difference is our defensive record, with us conceding just 12 goals in 19 games, while in the previous seasons this would be at around the 20-25 mark. I am not sure how much the new full-backs contribute to that, but I can certainly tell you that the new keeper is worth every penny we paid for him. Our forwards took a while to get going, but until then O'Shea (the american kid I talked about in my previous update) more than made up for it, with him already having 11 goals and 6 assists from the centre of midfield. Diaz had a very rough start with 2 goal in the first 8 games, but he found his form after that and he's scored 16 goals in 17 games since.

As for Europe, we unfortunately were seeded 3rd in the group draw, courtesy of Roma randomly winning Serie A for the first time since 2001 and grabbing that top seed, knocking us down from 2nd seed. We got a really competitive group consisting of Inter, Lyon and Leipzig, where it felt like there were no heavy favourites in any of the games. Still, we managed to remain undefeated, with 3 wins and 3 draws, topping the group in the process:

The knockout round draw was fairly kind to us as we got Milan. Ajax, Roma and Rangers were also options, but we did avoid Bayern and Dortmund, so all in all I am happy. Assuming all the favourites win their ties, the quarters are going to be very competitive, but even making it there will be a big success in my books. We are also already guaranteed at least a second seed next season, which is lovely.
    Last edited by Adramelch; 22-10-2021 at 03:54 PM.

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Smjffy View Post
    What would you do? He's got one year left on his deal and he's pretty miffed at the moment.

Toggle Spoiler
    Probably sell, that's an great offer considering he only has a year left. Did you change his position or has his output just got worse?

Good season by the looks of it thommo. I remember my first season being a series of one goal wins and say three/four goal losses, so by your goal difference I am assuming that hasn't been the case for you. You are on track to finish where we did in our second season.
    Yeah we've been pretty good, surprisingly so. Keeping the core squad together has been so key, I rarely feel like we're blown away in games. We've actually just beaten top of the table Cardiff in our next game. If we get a bit more money in the wage budget next season, a playoff push is a definite possibility.

Cracking start to your season too. Your squad additions definitely seem to have pushed you on to the next level and challenging for titles now. Glavacevic looks brilliant.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just blew 100m on a central defender, and I am not ashamed to admit that half of it was just for the name:

Not usually a fan of defenders with a low jumping reach, but I couldn't pass up on the opportunity.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He's outrageous, but I'm mostly keen to hear the fans chants. Just imagine that name being sung by people with a Newcastle accent

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, you can't fit that in Seven Nation Army.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just become aware that Touch 22 is Switch only, so I either have to buy a switch or a laptop if I want to play FM more than the puddle deep Mobile version.

Fuck like you cook.
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anyone ever had this?

ram it up your shitpipe Giggles's Avatar
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lofty View Post
    Just become aware that Touch 22 is Switch only, so I either have to buy a switch or a laptop if I want to play FM more than the puddle deep Mobile version.
    Yeah no iPad version means I won’t be getting it at all. I can’t be arsed with a bulky laptop going around.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Didn’t they say they’re still doing all the other versions just without the touch name? No idea what the point of that is though.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, this happened:

Our form just never dropped, especially when it came to playing the top teams, seeing as we only dropped a total of 7 points against top-half sides. Even more importantly, we managed to beat United in both league games, when our previous record against them was 0-3-11 with 11 goals scored and 35 conceded. Had those two games gone the other way, they would have won the league instead. Our defence was definitely our strongest point, with just the 23 goals conceded, the 6th lowest in Premier League history.

In terms of cups, we stuck to playing our second fiddle, which inevitably failed when we were drawn against Liverpool in the league cup and Arsenal in the FA cup. As for Europe, we beat Milan 5-0 on aggregate, to set a quarter final tie against Atletico. We had an annoying first leg at their place, where we conceded three goals in the last twenty minutes. Still we gave it our best at home, going into half-time at 2-0, however we never managed to get a third and they even scored a goal in injury time when we went full out for a goal. Still they were the better team over the two games, so the result was fair.

I am really happy with every player in the squad really. Diaz picked a 2-month injury again, but he still managed to pick 29 goals, which, while far fewer than his best, was still an improvement over his previous season. Renan, Reyes, Bartos and O'Shea all took turns in singehandedly winning us games. That said, the star of the season was definitely Miquet, even managing to finish with the highest average rating in the squad. He only picked 3 player of the match awards, which means his rating wasn't down to the odd "superkeeper" performance, but just him being consistently good.

Plans for next season are to keep the same squad and just sign a high quality central defender to partner with <I will not attempt to spell his name>. Which we already have:

Cost a combined 110m which is a ton of money, but it feels like he was worth it, especially given how rare good defenders seem to be in my save. We brought in 130m by selling youngsters that didn't cut it, as well as Rogelio Gonzalez for 50m, so all in all, a profitable window. I also attempted to sign a great young english striker from Chelsea, but they wouldn't sell for even 150m, so I let it go.

Where do we go from here? I guess consistently winning the Premier League is our next goal, and eventually winning (or at least challenging for) the Champions League.
    Last edited by Adramelch; 22-10-2021 at 03:53 PM.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cracking stuff Adra!

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice work. Sounds like <He who shall not be named> was the key (although I suspect that mega keeper might have been The One)