Page 131 of 173 FirstFirst ... 3181121129130131132133141 ... LastLast
Results 6,501 to 6,550 of 8646

Thread: General gaming discussion

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gameplay. I think I got stuck in the Napoleon level and called it quits. But I loved where that game went.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting. I shall see how I get on.

Also, interestingly, I have had zero urge to go back for a second dip at Humankind. I think it's a bit too "You can shape your Civ how you want" and not handhold-y enough for me because the early stages of multiple new Civ games have absolutely devoured my time in the past.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...ou-might-think

Article on Midnight Sons and how it will understandably differ from XCOM. I am very interested in this.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can't wait for that Turtles game.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is Instant Gaming legit or one of those dodgy places?

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Boydy View Post
    Is Instant Gaming legit or one of those dodgy places?
    Are all of those type of sites not inherently dodgy?

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They're just a vendor aren't they? It's the key re-selling sites that are the ones to watch out for, this will have just the normal amount of credit card theft and money laundering.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah I think Instant Gaming is fine, as these things go. It's not keys bought from Russian credit card fraud.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    Mass Effect 2 and 3 have some properly decent DLC. I love the lines the Shadow Broker gives you about whoever your third companion is. Who did you take?

And Jack is a very good character after initially seeming a little one note.
    Garrus. Cause it was with Liara, so I figured it as a Band-back-together kind of thing.
    Can't remember what he said though.

I see the greatness in the companions and their stories (classic Bioware). And yeah the DLCs really seem like the best bit, because they all seem to offer something a little special.

I do wish the companions/crew were more intervowen with the overall story and mission. There's a little friction between Miranda and Jack (ruining all my fantasies ) but apart from that, it's all very much a bunch of isolated story-archs. Still, good ones.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I also did some random side mission which was weird. Maybe also a DLC?

It was about extracting some random human doctor with great urgency all of a sudden and the whole thing culminated in the god damn Reapers being 2 minutes away from invading (taking a bit of a story leap from ME1 where there was only ever 1 reaper and the others were sort of mythological) and Shepard randomly blowing up a whole Mass Relay, all completely fucking random.

Btw not bothering with spoilers here as I kind of assume I'm the only one who hasn't played this.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ah, the Arrival DLC. I really dug the infiltration-y bit at the start of that.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I played all three last year and I have no recollection of most of things people are posting.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ah, the Arrival DLC. I really dug the infiltration-y bit at the start of that.

Ah yeah thats right. I just blasted my way through the "infiltration" bit. Didn't really get why you wouldn't

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ah, the James Bond approach.

Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I presume everyone who preorders DokeV will be added to some kind of list?

I'm a twit

Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Psychonauts 2. My PC with a 1060 GTX can't run the cutscenes at 30 fps...

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The druids in the AC: Valhalla DLC are bastards, but at least it's something slightly different to the main game, I suppose. Fuck Viking-era Ireland and all its ankle-high walls, though.

I'm beyond the 100hr mark, now, and just beginning to get into the "Nah, can't be bothered" territory with it.

I played through Twelve Minutes last weekend. Thought it was okay. The trial and error got a little old, and some of the leaps at the end were a little jarring, but it was a decent ride, overall.

Bought Witcher 3, as it was cheap, but doubt I'll start that anytime soon. I played it briefly before and never really got going with it.

Could probably do with a few more shorter playthrough options, like Twelve Minutes, to occupy me in short bursts before I commit to starting another "epic".

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Into Episode 2 of Doom. The first episode really was just adventures with shotgun. Such a workhorse weapon with tons of ammo available. Well, turns out episode 2 kicks that crutch out from under you, although I did get the plasma rifle secret. I started save scumming on the Barons of Hell fight because that arena just feels a little too tight. I resorted to being really quick with rockets to down the first one and then strafed the second. I will be replaying this on Nightmare at some point. Probably.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK, ME2 finished.

The last mission was surprisingly short. It was good, but gave me a sense of "lack of explanation". Like, who was Harbinger? It seems he was a reaper? But never really properly explained.
    It had a proper boss though, which was cool.

Anyway, the game keeps growing on me. The gameplay itself is still a little dull, but both the graphics and the worlds you visited felt less dated in this game. Sheperd doesn't really annoy me anymore, and as a whole the story is quite intriguing.

Romance-wise, at the end, I had a huge tough time deciding between Tali and Miranda. I'd been sweet-talking Miranda all game but then got Tali to the team late and, well, her personality is a bit better I think and you have the history. Ended up with Miranda which felt more canon somehow, but still not sure about it. To be fair, Mirandas actually had some character development in the end.

Started ME3 yesterday and I have to say it already feels like a more polished game.
    They do a much better job at illustrating the scale of the places you go (I haven't really been around that much yet) and the whole intro sequence with Earth getting smashed and going to the Turian moon while the Reapers are sort of walking around in a very war of the worlds mood was really epic, I felt.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Harbinger's the Reaper who mostly handles the Collectors. I think it's him who keeps possessing them during fights and you see him inhabiting the Collector controller thing.

Did you finish all the side stuff? And how did you get on with the Suicide Mission?

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Doom's done. Finished the main 3 episodes and sacked Thy Flesh Consumed completely off. As tempting as it might be, you really should teleport a billion enemies behind the player on a first level. Hateful.

EDIT: Turns out the Duke 3D freebie I got from PS Plus is no longer on the store. Apparently Devolver delisted it but I'm happy to blame Randy Pitchford regardless.
    Last edited by Shindig; 31-08-2021 at 05:19 PM.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The CCG / random abilities aspect of this sounds annoying and I hate the narrator of the video but otherwise there's probably enough here to tick some boxes for me, though the card combat may be enough to make it not a purchase when it's brand new for me. I'll be interested to see how powerful lads vs. hordes of mooks (as it seems that's what a bunch of this will be) works in the XCOM formula. The zombie cities in War of the Chosen were fun but were also good because of the relative infrequency of them.

Loving the 'uni dorms for the world's most powerful humans' vibe too.

Also don't want to play as a "we've created this character for this game" dweeb. Just let us play as the characters, not as a macguffin.
    Last edited by Ian; 02-09-2021 at 08:30 AM.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    WRC 10 needs a patch that disables the sound coming out of the DualSense speaker. When you get on certain surfaces, you can't hear the pace notes.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Harbinger's the Reaper who mostly handles the Collectors. I think it's him who keeps possessing them during fights and you see him inhabiting the Collector controller thing.

Did you finish all the side stuff? And how did you get on with the Suicide Mission?

Pretty much, yeah. The suicide mission went as well as I think it could. I understand your squad mates can die in it but no one did for me.

I definitely rushed through No1 and somewhat No2, but now I'm properly taking my time with the final one, trying to canvas and do pretty much everything there is to do.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Doom 2 is a crawl. So many enemies for the sake of it.

Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Chivalry 2 not hitting the highs of its original followed by the people working on it refusing to do so anymore because the publisher has been donating to the Texas anti-abortion fund and sharing a link where you can rat on someone you know that is having an abortion to have them arrested is modern video games all over.

Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shindig View Post
    This was the review from John Carmack iirc. They had no ideas outside of the graphics so just put more enemies in.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was watching the talk Romero gave at the Videogame History Museum a few years back. He seemed much more chuffed with it but it does talk about how they didn't want to take anything out of Doom. So there's more weapons (well, there's a new weapon in the super shotgun) and more enemies. That's all well and good but the levels are so much open now so you've got more time wandering around trying to figure out where the next key card is. Doom rarely slowed down.

Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was watching the talk Romero gave at the Videogame History Museum a few years back. He seemed much more chuffed with it but it does talk about how they didn't want to take anything out of Doom. So there's more weapons (well, there's a new weapon in the super shotgun) and more enemies. That's all well and good but the levels are so much open now so you've got more time wandering around trying to figure out where the next key card is. Doom rarely slowed down.
    The graphics improvements on Doom 2 are insane. You can upscale it to 4k with almost no issue. Great engineering, boring game.

Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you made me president of video games the first thing I'd do is ban any mobile game where you can't turn the music/sound effects off until after the tutorial. I'm listening to a podcast, I have no interest in the music.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I played the old DOOM's last year and felt very much the same as you Shinners.

I loved the original and thought that the second was just a really tedious re-treat of it with the enemy mobs dialled up to ridiculous levels a lot of the time. I think DOOM 64 may be the actual top dog of the franchise (although I haven't played the reboots, it has to be said), I fucking loved that one.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm up to Quake's development now in Masters of Doom. You see the end of original id coming a mile off. And it all starts with Romero helping Raven out on Hexxen, leaving Sandy Petersen to do half the Doom 2 levels. American McGee doing practically the other half.

And when he's in the office, he's playing Doom deathmatch. What a time to be alive.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Finished Psychonauts. Great game. Some of the home stretch was a bit rough and the platforming is a bit floaty but the variation in level design is good and it's genuinely funny.

Will play the second at some point but for now it's going to be Call of the Sea next.

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's PlayStation showcase day and rumours are Kojima is bringing something new to show off.

I'd love to know what batshit thing he's thought up this time.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, that was underwhelming. At least Gran Turismo got a date. I look forward to seeing that miss March. That Eve game looked alright in a 'We're making a Platinum game and hopefully they don't sue us' kind of way. And err... whatever the Radiohead thing is.

Too much Marvel.

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He kept me waiting, huh.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What Marvel stuff? I assume Midnight Suns and more Avengers content. Anything else?

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What Marvel stuff? I assume Midnight Suns and more Avengers content. Anything else?
    Wolverine and Spiderman 2. I think Insomniac's handling them both. And Guardians of the Galaxy.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wolverine? Oh shit.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh yeah I forgot about the Guardians game. Looks a bit meh but we'll see.

I'll be curious to see what comes of a Wolverine game though if it goes the Spider-Man route I may never play it.

Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    X-Men legends was basically a Wolverine game, in that you couldn’t do any of it without him in your team cos he was so overpowered.
    I'm a twit

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nearly all the games seemed to look like the other after a while. Aliens or dragons, mad lighting effects, huge bosses and a wry wisecracking voiceover.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Call of the Sea done. A very pleasant, gentle experience in the vein of Firewatch, Tacoma or Gone Home. It has a weird batch of puzzles at the start of the third act which are a bit obtuse (I thought I was being dumb but when I searched it there were shitloads of people like me so I think they just didn't signpost what you needed very well) but otherwise it gets them just right. And as is important in these games, the main character's voice actor does a good job and you really feel the central relationship driving the whole thing.

Hades next, I think, while I decide if I'm going to get Deathloop on release.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    GT7 is scheduled to release on March 4th. It will probably be more of the same. They have confirmed a few of the original GT tracks are returning like Deep Forrest Raceway and Trial Mountain.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's every chance I'll hit a difficulty wall at some point that turns me away from it but I'm loving Hades so far. Supergiant just make very satisfying games. I'm not a massive fan of the typical roguelike loop but the story and character stuff he is keeping me hooked so far on top of satisfying combat.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Doom 2's in the home stretch. It's better but the middle stretch was rough. It does seem, when they dump a load of enemies at you, it's easier just to let them infight and pick off the winners.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hades is the most moreish game I've played in ages.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is a fun game.

What is your weapon of choice?

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I really like the shield so far. I still have some to unlock though. My current choices are sword, spear, bow, shield.

I'm now consistently getting past Megaera, bone hydra is next on the hitlist.