Page 129 of 581 FirstFirst ... 2979119127128129130131139179229 ... LastLast
Results 6,401 to 6,450 of 29008

Thread: Coronavirus Death Thread

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mugbull View Post
    You're on the thicker side, aren't you? In what world would having a good number fewer active doctors/nurses not prolong and worsen this crisis? Jesus Christ
    Your first post said 'It's not cheaper when your country slides into massive economic depression when it does come'; or, that it was a choice between all of the doctors having their masks and us cracking on as normal, or not having them and us having to shut the entire country down to manage the burden on hospitals. Which it isn't, is it, you nause.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nause, oo that's new.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not to the Brummie contingent.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The cockerneys use it as well don't they?

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nause

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your argument boils down to "if the government decided not to do it they were definitely right because it is".

You can counter any spending argument ever with your vague generalities and the only logical conclusion is you think they are infallible and above reproach.
    Last edited by randomlegend; 13-04-2020 at 02:49 PM.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nause is a better insult than you've come up with though, so take your L.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Literally never heard of Nause before. What does it mean?

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Annoying, you nause.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by randomlegend View Post
    Your argument boils down to "if the government decided not to do it they were definitely right because it is".

You can counter any spending argument ever with your vague generalities and the only logical conclusion is you think they are infallible and above reproach.
    It isn't. It's that the government had valid reasons for doing x, which absolutely nobody bothered disputing at the time (including those experts involved in the actual policy-making process), so claiming now that they fucked it all up is stupid and would fail as any basic historical assessment. When did you first ask your hospital how they were preparing for it, given that it was 'literally inevitable'? Where I work I would be responsible for overlooking a security breach that I knew was coming, even though we [pretend to] have a unit security officer, so presumably you were all asking questions months, if not years ago.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewis View Post
    It isn't. It's that the government had valid reasons for doing x, which absolutely nobody bothered disputing at the time (including those experts involved in the actual policy-making process), so claiming now that they fucked it all up is stupid and would fail as any basic historical assessment. When did you first ask your hospital how they were preparing for it, given that it was 'literally inevitable'? Where I work I would be responsible for overlooking a security breach that I knew was coming, so presumably you were all asking questions months, if not years ago.
    Surprisingly enough, pandemic preparation for a large hospital is not the responsibility of a jobbing junior doctor. In the same way you won't be asking the checkout assistant at your local Sainsbury's why their pandemic preparations have left them unable to keep yeast on the shelves. Again, you already know this and are just posting nonsense to make up the word count.

"Valid reasons". What? The experts involved said we needed visors and revised their proposal only when they were told they weren't getting them. What else can they do?
    Last edited by randomlegend; 13-04-2020 at 03:07 PM.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Surprisingly enough, pandemic preparation for a large hospital is not the responsibility of a jobbing junior doctor. In the same way you won't be asking the checkout assistant at your local Sainsbury's why their pandemic preparations have left them unable to keep yeast on the shelves. Again, you already know this and are just posting nonsense to make up the word count.

"Valid reasons". What? The experts involved said we needed visors and revised their proposal only when they were told they weren't getting them. What else can they do?
    As a former Tesco employee and husband of a Supermarket employee, I can absolutely guarantee that the checkout staff are dealing with those questions. Multiple times per hour.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spikey M View Post
    As a former Tesco employee and husband of a Supermarket employee, I can absolutely guarantee that the checkout staff are dealing with those questions. Multiple times per hour.
    Probably from Lewis.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Whenever there's a grievance, it's the first port of call, not the best port of call they'll scream at.

That's better than clapping.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can only talk for the places I’ve worked in but all of them have pandemic plans. I did some work on ours last summer and it’s largely ICU-based and is pretty much what we are using now, although we’ve had to turn over more wards to this than we’d expected. It does outline some basics in terms of kit required and we look okay. Good job too, as we are the worst hit Trust in our region.

Other Trusts seeing fewer seriously ill Covid patients are struggling. I think it’s likely to end up being the case that local procurement of stuff has caused the most problems rather than a national lack of equipment, but it’s too early to be certain.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's more comparable to my situation than your supermarket comparison. I work with classified government material, the access to which is controlled partly on the basis that losing it could put lives at risk. We have a unit security officer and a line management chain, but if I think something puts the material at risk, I am expected to raise it, even where it conflicts with the management if only to put it on record and absolve myself of any responsibility should security be compromised.

I'm not saying you had to plan their pandemic response out for them. But surely you would have wanted to know, given that you could see this coming down the line? Alternatively, you could have bought your own stash of masks for when the day came. Unless you didn't think it was all that likely to be happening any time soon. And besides, face masks apparently aren't the most cost-effective measure you could have spent your money on. It would have increased the cost of your provisions four or six times. I'll stick some gloves under the cupboard and buy a gaming mouse. It's all wisdom after the event.

As for the experts. There will have been numerous ways for them to make any criticisms they had known, both officially and unofficially. Maybe they did. Maybe they told the newspapers, but they never considered reporting it to be worthwhile. Who knows? They could have all resigned, being medically-trained professionals, rather than being complicit in the decisions made. But they didn't.

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fucking hell. Bring back Yev panicking and claiming he has Coronavirus.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your first post said 'It's not cheaper when your country slides into massive economic depression when it does come'; or, that it was a choice between all of the doctors having their masks and us cracking on as normal, or not having them and us having to shut the entire country down to manage the burden on hospitals. Which it isn't, is it, you nause.
    Nothing in that post had me claiming that coronavirus would have been super chill if only the doctors had had masks. But it's funny that you always seem to point to vague general equilibrium effects to castigate whichever re you don't like, but then completely ignore them when it's suitable to your argument. As everyone else in this thread has been saying, basically

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The tag team of Mok and RL that nobody seen coming but has somehow taken down the staunch Lewis/Jimmy. It’s RVD and Kane all over again.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nothing in that post had me claiming that coronavirus would have been super chill if only the doctors had had masks. But it's funny that you always seem to point to vague general equilibrium effects to castigate whichever re you don't like, but then completely ignore them when it's suitable to your argument. As everyone else in this thread has been saying, basically
    It was the clear implication of using it as a direct comparison. You should probably write a bit more clearly when you want to make a point, even if it means temporarily ditching your pretend disinterest.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It was the clear implication of using it as a direct comparison. You should probably write a bit more clearly when you want to make a point, even if it means temporarily ditching your pretend disinterest.
    Your beliefs are as predictable as a nun's period, it's difficult to be interested in what you have to say

The Artist Formerly Known as Taz
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey, Bam, tell the missus to make her mac and cheese, I'll be round for 7 tonight.

Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Definition of 'on the ropes' from Lewis here.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your beliefs are as predictable as a nun's period, it's difficult to be interested in what you have to say
    This is how you know it's only pretend.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am enjoying Lewis comparing his job to a Dr treating a potentially dangerous disease. I bet you've got Windows 10 in your Easter Egg filled Office, Dr Legend, you cunt.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I want to know what state secrets Lewis has been entrusted with.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Database.

Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am enjoying Lewis comparing his job to a Dr treating a potentially dangerous disease. I bet you've got Windows 10 in your Easter Egg filled Office, Dr Legend, you cunt.
    Tbf to Lewis, he's always considered himself the most important person in the room even when he was a jobless nobody in Hull with a dog that barely cared for his existence. Imagine what he's like now someones given him a security clearance.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's more comparable to my situation than your supermarket comparison. I work with classified government material, the access to which is controlled partly on the basis that losing it could put lives at risk. We have a unit security officer and a line management chain, but if I think something puts the material at risk, I am expected to raise it, even where it conflicts with the management if only to put it on record and absolve myself of any responsibility should security be compromised.
    Oh come on. If I see we're doing something that means patient data is potentially at risk, then obviously I'd raise it. That's entirely different from planning for a large scale emergency. The fact that something like this was inevitable doesn't mean I worried or thought about it day to day. It's inevitable there'll be any number of large scale emergencies involving this hospital at some point.

My supermarket comparison is completely apt.
    Last edited by randomlegend; 13-04-2020 at 04:03 PM.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mate most of our computers run out of ram and crash if you open a second tab on internet explorer. That's not an exaggeration.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh come on. If I see we're doing something that means patient data is potentially at risk, then obviously I'd raise it. That's entirely different from planning for a large scale emergency. The fact that something like this was inevitable doesn't mean I worried or thought about it day to day. It's inevitable there'll be any number of large scale emergencies involving this hospital at some point.

My supermarket comparison is completely apt.
    There you go. There is only so much money to go round, and with any number of large-scale emergencies to plan for...

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    America on that chart. Oof.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There you go. There is only so much money to go round, and with any number of large-scale emergencies to plan for...
    You can keep on like this all you like, but what your argument boils down to is "the fact the government did it means it was the right thing to do". I'm glad you have such blind faith.

The Artist Formerly Known as Taz
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Witty finally said it's total deaths that will be the key figure and none of this Covid shit being charted. Give it two more weeks and John Arne's charts will be the gold standard. Speaking of which, the latest week's data will be released tomorrow so update when you can, you glorious bastard.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's more an appreciation of how these things are actually decided in the first place. I'm consistently sceptical of government management of anything, but in this case I don't recall anyone banging the drum for more stockpiling (even the people who wanted the masks don't seem to have pushed beyond initial best case, blank cheque recommendations), so criticism of that effort is just betting after the event. Who did have it all ready to go? Nobody, if the worldwide rush to acquire it is anything to go by. How well they're doing now getting what there is out there, by all means hammer that. I haven't read much about it, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was being ballsed up like the loans scheme sounds like it is being.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    America on that chart. Oof.
    Am i missing a chart on mine?

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bruhnaldo View Post
    Am i missing a chart on mine?
    It was on our national update, but it was basically this:

That is not a trajectory that ends well.

Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That China one is hilarious, like they just decided that everyone was too busy so they could just lie.

edit: Thought I'd do a quick check up on Switzerland numbers. We haven't bothered to update it since last week as pandemic or not, no Swiss person will work a public holiday.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And here I thought we hit the curve but I guess whatever tweet I saw in passing was a lie or whatever. Sigh.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    New York's peaking but you have 49 other states to count.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bruhnaldo View Post
    And here I thought we hit the curve but I guess whatever tweet I saw in passing was a lie or whatever. Sigh.
    http://covid19.healthdata.org/united-states-of-america

All you need baby.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by phonics View Post
    That China one is hilarious, like they just decided that everyone was too busy so they could just lie.

edit: Thought I'd do a quick check up on Switzerland numbers. We haven't bothered to update it since last week as pandemic or not, no Swiss person will work a public holiday.
    Russia must be properly fucked to have suddenly come out with their numbers today. I bet they're nowhere near the true numbers, but I can only imagine that they've suddenly shat a brick over the scale of it all and decided they had better put some numbers on the table because they're going to need some help.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That y axis gives me the cold sweats.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Russia must be properly fucked to have suddenly come out with their numbers today. I bet they're nowhere near the true numbers, but I can only imagine that they've suddenly shat a brick over the scale of it all and decided they had better put some numbers on the table because they're going to need some help.
    Not a chance any non-democracy is putting out true numbers. Why would they when lighter numbers make the given regime look better?

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Floyd View Post
    Not a chance any non-democracy is putting out true numbers. Why would they when lighter numbers make the given regime look better?
    I get that, but they have suddenly announced today (unless I've just been missing them) that shit is getting pretty grim there. Why open up about it now?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/world-europe-52271492

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I get that, but they have suddenly announced today (unless I've just been missing them) that shit is getting pretty grim there. Why open up about it now?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/world-europe-52271492
    So as not to stretch credibility, and/or because they are going to need help soon and lying won't bring them any.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spoonsky View Post
    This makes it seem like we're smashing it? Or am I reading this backwards?

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That y axis gives me the cold sweats.
    I'd love to see numbers for 'Europe' as a whole, I wonder how they'd compare to the US.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Speaking of credibility, god bless the Flat Line of Tehran and all who sail in her.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So as not to stretch credibility, and/or because they are going to need help soon and lying won't bring them any.
    That's what I said and now I'm not sure if we're arguing and if we are why we are... I... yeah.