Results 28,601 to 28,650 of 29008

Thread: Coronavirus Death Thread

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spikey M View Post
    It didn't.

We had our highest caseload when ~80% of the country was vaccinated. I've had it 3 times and I'm triple jabbed. If does fuck all to stop it spreading.

But, I was barely ill. And It got tamer every time.

(How the fuck does "it may not have reduced transmission" and "but it massively reduced the numbers of people getting Covid" work, exactly?)
    The fewer people who have it, the fewer people can spread it. Like a cold, or syphilis.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by John Arne View Post
    I must be missing something here.

The actual vaccine may not have reduced transmission, but it massively reduced the numbers of people getting Covid (and the severity) in the first place, then that reduces that number of people you are likely to catch it from.

I don't see the outrage here.
    This what we were told the whole time.

ram it up your shitpipe Giggles's Avatar
    Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The actual vaccine may not have reduced transmission, but it massively reduced the numbers of people getting Covid (and the severity) in the first place, then that reduces that number of people you are likely to catch it from.

If there's no outrage, what is there?

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The fewer people who have it, the fewer people can spread it. Like a cold, or syphilis.
    Then how was the caseload highest with 80% of people vaccinated?

That quite plainly didn't happen. Again, our highest caseload happened when the majority of the country was vaccinated. However, the case : death ratio was much improved.

Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Magic View Post
    Some cunt died at a reasonably local baxxine centre today.
    Are you going to rock up to the funeral to laugh at the family?

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am fat cunt who got vaccinated and on my worst day of my recent covid bout I still managed to get out of my pit and crack on, compared to people I know who were admantly anti vaccine and spent 5 days in bed with it so score one for the sheeple I guess.

The people I know in real life who are rabidly anti-vax would happily snort a line of mystery white powder if I told them it was good shit.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

True, but Pfizer never marketed it that way. So although if it worked out dandy in the end, they still played with the wording when it came to selling it. Even if it was ultimately a massive positive, being a bunch of sneaky twats still isn't excusable, in my eyes anyway.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fwiw I still think for the 30+ brigade getting vaccinated was the right decision. Even if deaths were already low, it's pretty telling that vaccinated people did not end up like Taz and Magic. Getting it was a minor inconvenience.

The wheels came off when they started trying to pressure kids into getting it.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A quick reminder for the folks at home: Uk vaccine rollout started January 2021. At that time, 55,000 cases a day were being reported.

By May 2021 cases were down to 1,737. By that time, the bulk of the 1st shots had been handed out. The vaccine was preventing spread against the earlier variants. Against Omicron and Delta, it wasn't as effective.

As for the numbers touted at the time, vaccine effectiveness is really hard to gauge because Omicron's spread is so quick, people will have had prior infections and most people are vaccinated. At this point, it really doesn't matter and the vaccines given out today are likely to be targeting Omicron. It's largely given to the elderly who aren't dying as much from this. That could down to the vaccine, prior infections, the fact Omicron isn't as deadly or a combination of all three. Getting hard data to draw hard conclusions out of this is impossible now.
    Last edited by Shindig; 13-10-2022 at 07:22 AM.

The Artist Formerly Known as Taz
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Still being held up as examples, we're fucking massive MJ.

Just to clarify, are i) the variants now far fluffier and cuter, ii) is the vaccine that you fat dickheads had years ago still providing some sort of protection or iii) are you resigned to getting it badly now that you've all decided to stop taking the glorious juice that protected you so well?

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shindig View Post
    A quick reminder for the folks at home: Uk vaccine rollout started January 2021. At that time, 55,000 cases a day were being reported.

By May 2021 cases were down to 1,737. By that time, the bulk of the 1st shots had been handed out.
    We're just ignoring lockdowns then? Makes sense.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Shite, I forgot how long it dragged on. Didn't remove the social contacts bollocks until September.
    Last edited by Shindig; 13-10-2022 at 06:11 PM.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Any other alpha's, such as myself, still not had it?

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Apparently I've not, but I've only ever done a few tests (for foreign travel). I can't imagine that to be the case however.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We're just ignoring lockdowns then? Makes sense.
    In the absence of Kiko with a link to a 100 page study, it was pretty clear throughout that the only thing that reduced transmission was shutting people indoors.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I lasted until the Jubilee weekend, when a night of debauchery put paid to that. By that stage though I genuinely thought I was one of the few who'd caught the asymptomatic edition.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Giggles View Post
    If there's no outrage, what is there?
    I'd brace yourself as this hasn't even got going yet. The next stage will be the legal challenges regarding those who died or ended up quadraspazzed from having the vaccine, and in some cases when they didn't even need one.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yevrah View Post
    It was the principle reason being pushed to get those who weren't in a risk group to have a vaccine. A vaccine that (in many cases) was more dangerous to them than the disease itself. It's a huge deal and will seriously undermine future vaccine uptake.

EDITED: To add the (in many cases).
    In many cases, that's complete nonsense.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kikó View Post
    In many cases, that's complete nonsense.
    The risk from the vaccine for children outweighed the benefits of it, which is where the lie about reducing transmission majorly came into play, so you can chuck them all into the many category for a start.

As an aside, do you feel bad about bullying Spikey for not giving it to his kids or is that worthwhile collateral damage in the name of SCIENCE?

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The risk from the vaccine for children outweighed the benefits of it
    Proof?

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Appreciate these are not your crimes Kiko, but a quick search shows the sort of shit people who were hesitant to vaccinate their kids were met with. My Sister never did get her kids vaccinated and spent months being labelled as an anti-vaxxer by some of the other parents of kids at her kids' school. Strangely that's all gone quiet now.

I've been thinking about the Kids vaccinations recently actually and I am conflicted on it. Does herd immunity depend on them being covered too? And does it matter if the vulnerable are covered anyway?

I don't know, It feels like the risk : reward ratio would be entertaining pointless territory.
    I don't have kids, but was talking to my Sister last week about her thoughts on my nephew and niece getting it. She's not keen, for similar reasons.
    Quote Originally Posted by phonics View Post
    Fucking nutters.
    I've been thinking about the Kids vaccinations recently actually and I am conflicted on it. Does herd immunity depend on them being covered too? And does it matter if the vulnerable are covered anyway?

I don't know, It feels like the risk : reward ratio would be entertaining pointless territory.
    I don't have kids, but was talking to my Sister last week about her thoughts on my nephew and niece getting it. She's not keen, for similar reasons.
    Why do people suddenly think they’re smarter than the last hundreds of years of medical progress?

We literally eradicated Small Pox and Polio within our lifetime and Baz who’s spent the last year going for a test twice a day thinks he’s not going to bother with the vaccine.

Spikey/Yevrahs sister. The kids have TB jabs, whooping cough, bcg etc. Why the fuck do you care about this one?

The reason to get it is because there’s literally absolutely no reason not to. That’s why the only response at this point is ‘Fucking nutters’.
    I guess "hundreds of years of medical progress" was pwned by Janice from Mumsnet. Not a good look.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The risk from the vaccine for children outweighed the benefits of it,
    https://www.sciencedirect.com/scienc...065?via%3Dihub

Published in the Lancet a few months ago.

This rigorous study confirms a link between SARS-CoV-2 mRNA vaccines and occurrence of MIS-C and myocarditis in children aged 12-17. However, rates of both of these complications are low compared with the rate of MIS-C after natural infection.
    Despite vaccines being associated with rare inflammatory complications, the risk benefit ratio for SARS-CoV-2 vaccination continues to favour vaccination, at least in the 12-17 year old age group included in this study.
    That study is not ultimate proof, but it's just to show that it is absolutely not established fact that the risks of the Covid vaccine outweigh the benefits for children as you are trying to sneak through.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by randomlegend View Post
    Proof?
    I don't have a 100 page study to link to (I think Pepe linked to something earlier in the thread, which is how it's in my mind). Pepe?

There's this from Sweden.

https://www.reuters.com/world/europe...12-2022-01-27/

"With the knowledge we have today, with a low risk for serious disease for kids, we don't see any clear benefit with vaccinating them,"
    Not a smoking gun level proof I know, but why are a medical body are not recommending it while there's still a low risk of serious disease for kids? We know there are (small) risks with vaccines, right? No one's disputing that now are they?

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Frankly, you are the one who's been pwned by Janice from Mumsnet. You've taken that point of view as fact just because it was screeched the loudest and fed into your "THE SCIENCE" narrative. I doubt you've ever even tried to look at the evidence for yourself.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't have a 100 page study to link to (I think Pepe linked to something earlier in the thread, which is how it's in my mind). Pepe?

There's this from Sweden.

https://www.reuters.com/world/europe...12-2022-01-27/

Not a smoking gun level proof I know, but why are a medical body are not recommending it while there's still a low risk of serious disease for kids? We know there are (small) risks with vaccines, right? No one's disputing that now are they?
    I like how you're now using what a medical body has recommended as evidence when in literally your previous post you were denigrating the fact that it is not evidence.

There is absolutely no detail in what you've linked about what they based their decision on. It insinuates it's based on how many kids had "severe disease". As I stated at the time - and as that study I've linked looked at - what we always should have been looking at for kids is post-covid complications like MIS-C/PIMS-TS because that is what makes kids who have had covid sick, not the covid infection itself.
    Last edited by randomlegend; 13-10-2022 at 09:39 AM.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That study is not ultimate proof, but it's just to show that it is absolutely not established fact that the risks of the Covid vaccine outweigh the benefits for children as you are trying to sneak through.

The rates of MIS-C and myocarditis were calculated as 1.5 and 12.6 per million doses of vaccine respectively. In comparison, the rate of MIS-C after natural infection was 113.3 per million SARS-CoV-2 infections.
    How is this comparison factoring in the impact of COVID complications from your child being in a risk group? I've always said that everyone who is in a risk group should have a vaccine and there are a lot of fat kids in the World. If your child is healthy (as my nephew and niece are and I assume Spikey's offspring are), where's the comparison of their risk of having the vaccine vs. not?

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Although I do accept that implying the risk reward ratio as fact was poor form.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not trying to take a side but that clearly states the benefits are outweighing risks in 12-17 year olds. I imagine most of the conflicted parents are thinking more about toddlers.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Which is why I said I wasn't presenting it as proof you should definitely get your kid vaccinated, rather as proof that it is far from established fact at this point that the risk definitely outweighs the benefit.
    Last edited by randomlegend; 13-10-2022 at 09:56 AM.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How is this comparison factoring in the impact of COVID complications from your child being in a risk group? I've always said that everyone who is in a risk group should have a vaccine and there are a lot of fat kids in the World. If your child is healthy (as my nephew and niece are and I assume Spikey's offspring are), where's the comparison of their risk of having the vaccine vs. not?
    Previously fit and well kids have the same risk of developing the condition as those in at risk categories. Obviously a child with severe comorbidities has a higher risk of needing the highest levels of care just because they have less reserves, but even otherwise well kids can be very fucking sick. The ones we sent to PICU were all slim kids with no previous significant illness, apart from one who was overweight but with no other significant illness.

Interestingly, immunosuppressed kids (like those with cancer having chemo) who would obviously be considered "at risk" are probably at lower risk of PIMS-TS because it's essentially caused by an excessive immune response.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think I have.

I was sick a couple of weeks ago and tested negative. Been sick again this week but I haven't tested. Mum has also been sick and she tested negative.

Symptoms are similar to what I get when I've got the flu though.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are you still banging on about that cold?

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You might be referring to this: https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers....act_id=4125239

Which does not talk about kids specifically, but about everyone.

Combined, the mRNA vaccines were associated with an absolute risk increase of serious adverse events of special interest of 12.5 per 10,000 (95% CI 2.1 to 22.9). The excess risk of serious adverse events of special interest surpassed the risk reduction for COVID-19 hospitalization relative to the placebo group in both Pfizer and Moderna trials (2.3 and 6.4 per 10,000 participants, respectively).

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have yet to get Covid, that I know of at least. The worst I've felt in the past three years or so was the day after I took my first dose of the vaccine, which gave me a very mild fever that lasted for a few hours. Don't take this as me suggesting that the vaccine does not work or anything.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pepe View Post
    You might be referring to this: https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers....act_id=4125239

Which does not talk about kids specifically, but about everyone.

Those 95% confidence intervals though.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What a nostalgic throwback discussion this is. Anyone have any thoughts on a No Deal Brexit?

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Never going to happen.

Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I see Yevrahs quoted me and I’m not sure there’s a single sentence I said in there that’s incorrect?

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The reason to get it is because there’s literally absolutely no reason not to. That’s why the only response at this point is ‘Fucking nutters’.
    Let's go for this one.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Those 95% confidence intervals though.
    Not sure what your point is. The potential effects of the vaccine, whether positive or negative, seem so fucking small that I think that it is very hard to say at this point that it was a worthwhile investment. I guess you can say that it was worthwhile to promote the technology, which hopefully will be used for more effective vaccines in the future.

Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Let's go for this one.
    Yeah what’s the reason not to.

Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah what’s the reason not to.
    As far as I've seen it's 1% concern for your health and 99% defiance.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Call it 98% to 2% and we got a deal.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pepe View Post
    Not sure what your point is. The potential effects of the vaccine, whether positive or negative, seem so fucking small that I think that it is very hard to say at this point that it was a worthwhile investment. I guess you can say that it was worthwhile to promote the technology, which hopefully will be used for more effective vaccines in the future.
    The entire point the paper you posted is trying to make is that the vaccine causes more serious adverse events than it prevents serious covid cases.

Once you look at their 95% confidence intervals (which they conveniently leave out of the body of the paper and are only visible hidden away in a table in an appendix) you realise they have zero credible evidence to make that claim.

Edit: I lied about it not being in the body, I misremembered and the paper wouldn't open to check.
    Last edited by randomlegend; 13-10-2022 at 04:17 PM.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is not in an appendix. It is table 2 in the article (full version here: https://www.sciencedirect.com/scienc...64410X22010283). I have no interest in defending that or any article that I did not write myself. If you think that their study is shit, then so be it. I just posted it because Yevrah asked. Also, fwiw, the authors of that article seem to only advocate for risk-benefit analysis should be considered when choosing policies. Do you disagree with that?

Rational policy formation should consider potential harms alongside potential benefits. [29] To illustrate this need in the present context, we conducted a simple harm-benefit comparison using the trial data comparing excess risk of serious AESI against reductions in COVID-19 hospitalization. We found excess risk of serious AESIs to exceed the reduction in COVID-19 hospitalizations in both Pfizer and Moderna trials.
    Full transparency of the COVID-19 vaccine clinical trial data is needed to properly evaluate these questions. Unfortunately, as we approach 2 years after release of COVID-19 vaccines, participant level data remain inaccessible.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If I had my time again I would never have been vaccinated. I'm not sat here worrying about side effects or anything, but just because fuck them.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Same to be honest. I wouldn't bother if offered again.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewis View Post
    If I had my time again I would never have been vaccinated. I'm not sat here worrying about side effects or anything, but just because fuck them.
    Why fuck them?

And I would have it again and may have a booster if offered. I had COVID after I'd been vaccinated and it wasn't very pleasant (no breathing problems but felt like shit for two days). I'll never know what it would have been like had I not been vaccinated, but it could have been far worse so I wouldn't take that risk.

Had I not been vaccinated, caught it and been fine, I'd have never bothered getting one. And there's your reason not to have one Phonics.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My smell and taste seems to have dulled quite a bit in the last hour. I guess I've had it since Monday, bit shit that I'm seemingly going to lose smell and taste when it feels like I'm almost over the illness.

More successful than most Magic's Avatar
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Shame you won't lose your weight.