User Tag List

View Poll Results: Will the Premier League title be won in April?

Voters
21. You may not vote on this poll
  • Nah

16 76.19%
  • Yes, by Man City

0 0%
  • Yes, by Liverpool

1 4.76%
  • Yes, by Tottenham / United (lol April Fool!)

1 4.76%
  • Yes, and FOOTBALL will be the winner

3 14.29%
Page 9 of 24 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: A thread to discuss football during April

ram it up your shitpipe Giggles's Avatar
    Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sheffield Utd over Leeds please. Anyone over Leeds please.

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree, I can't have Leeds going up. There's this completely insufferable bellend in work who supports them, and a gut-wrenching playoff final loss would be the perfect way to get him to wind his neck in after months of bleating about how wonderful they are.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's probably just 15 years or whatever it has been of non-exposure but i quite fancy a Bielsa Leeds in the Premier League. With Norwich already up and fulfilling the useless provincial spot Huddersfield are vacating I don't think the league really needs another team which has 15th as its absolute ceiling level. Villa and Leeds.

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Above: A press release stating that Florent Malouda and FC Zurich have come to a mutual agreement to terminate his contract.

Below: Florent Malouda's response.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The perfect premier league in terms of the biggest, most succesful teams in Enlgihs history. Leeds would be included?

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Leeds, Sheffield Utd and Bristol City is my preferred choice of what's there.

I like seeing fresh teams in the league. We've all seen the Norwich and West Brom act before multiple times over.

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Norwich aren’t blowing it though. Leeds and Sheffield United are shitting it out for second.

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The BT commentator just said that 'Ozil starts despite the jacket throwing incident this weekend'. He threw it at Marco Silva for complaining to the fourth official about something, I'm not sure that's a reason to drop a player...

Robbie Savage as co-commentator? What have I done to deserve this?

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No idea how Marcos Alonso ever got a better club than Bolton. Willian, Barkley and him down one side - stuff of nightmares.

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by phonics View Post
    Robbie Savage as co-commentator? What have I done to deserve this?
    Savage just referred to the Torreira goal as a cruyff turn. Have I misunderstood what a Cruyff turn is or is he thick?

Link: https://streamable.com/n30bx

Once again, the difference between this team at home and away is so huge that I'm starting to get annoyed at good performances.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thick.

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ozil in one of those moods where everything comes off and he looks untouchable.

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Waffdon View Post
    No idea how Marcos Alonso ever got a better club than Bolton. Willian, Barkley and him down one side - stuff of nightmares.
    Of course.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ive watched a few Arsenal games this season and even though Ramsey is already signed and sealed to join Juve, he is playing as if there are scouts watching him and he is trying to find a new team. He really does work hard for the team.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    https://www.skysports.com/football/s...ry-of-the-slip

Fantastic read. I dont blame the defeat as the reason Liverpool didnt win the title. It was the 3-0 lead they had at Palace with 12 minutes left that ended in a draw that was the breaking point.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I imagine Taz was on good ("good") form during that Crystal Palace collapse.

EDIT: I forgot that Suarez cried.

Also:
    Whether an attempted shift of blame or not, Gerrard felt the full impact of his mistake. In ‘My Story’ he recalls the hours that followed.

"I sat in the back of the car and felt the tears rolling down my face. I hadn't cried for years but, on the way home, I couldn't stop. The tears kept coming. I can't even tell you if the streets were thick with traffic or as empty as I was on the inside. It was killing me."
    I bet the ghostwriter was pleased with that one.
    Last edited by Ian; 12-04-2019 at 01:27 PM.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think you'll ever beat that for pure NARRATIVE. Maybe United scamming the Champions' League this year with two stoppage time goals, but that seems unlikely.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That whole gerrard slip and especially that collapse at palace was amazing. I ever remember, after Liverpool scored the third goal to go 3-0. They had an awful goal difference didnt they? Liverpool conceded a million goals that season. They acted as if they were 2-0 down and Suarez ran and got the ball quickly for Palace to kick-off becuase Liverpool needed more goals.
    Last edited by SincereTheRebel; 12-04-2019 at 02:45 PM.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewis View Post
    I don't think you'll ever beat that for pure NARRATIVE. Maybe United scamming the Champions' League this year with two stoppage time goals, but that seems unlikely.
    He literally said “this does not slip now” in a ridiculous post match play to the cameras pep talk and THEN HE SLIPPED. It’s perfect.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wonder what the lineal NARRATIVE Champion is. Sticking to English football, going backwards I would say we have (what am I missing?):

2014-Present: Steven Gerrard and 'The Slip'
    2008: John Terry missing his penalty in Moscow and crying
    2008: Ronaldo missing his penalty in Moscow and crying (shortest recorded title reign)
    2007: Ronaldo winning Player of the Year after probably never really considering leaving United
    2006: Liverpool and Steven Gerrard winning the FA Cup final 3-3 on penalties
    2004: Arsenal losing their undefeated streak at Old Trafford
    2002: Arsenal winning the title at Old Trafford

I think the modern idea of the NARRATIVE started about then in its current form when UEFA soft-balled Alex Ferguson consecutive NARRATIVE-friendly Champions' League final venues in 2002 (Hampden Park) and 2003 (Old Trafford) so he could retire on a high. Prior to that things like Stuart Pearce scoring a penalty in Euro 96 were just good news stories, rather than part of some cosmic alignment.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nothing will ever top The Slip.

More successful than most Magic's Avatar
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spikey M View Post
    Nothing will ever top The Slip.
    Agreed. Although the AGUEROOOOOOO moment might.

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If it was any club apart from Man City, yes.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That will only come into play if they win the title this year in a similar manner.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think that's us safe.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wonder what the lineal NARRATIVE Champion is. Sticking to English football, going backwards I would say we have (what am I missing?):

2008: Ronaldo missing his penalty in Moscow and crying (shortest recorded title reign)
    2007: Ronaldo winning Player of the Year after probably never really considering leaving United

I think the modern idea of the NARRATIVE started about then in its current form when UEFA soft-balled Alex Ferguson consecutive NARRATIVE-friendly Champions' League final venues in 2002 (Hampden Park) and 2003 (Old Trafford) so he could retire on a high. Prior to that things like Stuart Pearce scoring a penalty in Euro 96 were just good news stories, rather than part of some cosmic alignment.
    Close to the Keown shithousery on Ruud van Nistelrooy too. That must have been when the Arsenal/United rivalry was at its hottest.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, that all contributed to the NARRATIVE, as did their pizza-chucking SEETHE afterwards.

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Watching those games back it’s absolutely nuts what went on. Say what you like about the Souness/McMahon era of football in terms of danger to the players career but I’m not sure you’d get away with as punching your opposite man as often as you did in those games.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Keegan halving a meltdown was surely the first of these.

Man(c) of the People igor_balis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Aguero vs QPR was pretty good, but one that would be MASSIVE if it wasn't before football was invested is Michael Thomas against Liverpool in the last game of 88/89.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Waffdon View Post
    Leeds and Aston Villa going up is what we should all hope and pray for. Grealish is on one since his injury - the goal last night was sexual. I’d post it if my Twitter wasn’t being aids.
    I prefer the Championship about one million times over the Prem. Genuinely competitive and you're not essentially there to feed the machine.

Having said that, I love watching Jack Grealish and John McGinn (watch out for this kid, he is unreal) more, so we need to be going up this year, or they'll be off.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know. We all lol at Kevin Keegan now, but the main NARRATIVE from that season would have been Eric Cantona coming back and booting the title challenge off, so would it have just been seen as the peak of that? You can't apply these things retroactively, otherwise they would have got eight years out of Ferguson lolling at Arsene Wenger coming from 'JaPAN' and thinking he Knew the English Football.

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mellberg View Post
    I prefer the Championship about one million times over the Prem. Genuinely competitive and you're not essentially there to feed the machine.

Having said that, I love watching Jack Grealish and John McGinn (watch out for this kid, he is unreal) more, so we need to be going up this year, or they'll be off.
    On balance over the last 15 years I definitely prefer the Championship as an Albion fan, but we never really did anything in the prem. Was it not that much fun finishing top-6 a few seasons in a row?

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, that was a great side. We've had some brilliant (and very poor) teams, but times have changed. It strikes me as a really dull existence outside of the top 6 and I hated the last few years in the Prem for that exact reason...and we were mainly shit. To the extent that I wanted us to go down and was open about that on here.

See you in the playoff final?

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mellberg View Post
    Yeah, that was a great side. We've had some brilliant (and very poor) teams, but times have changed. It strikes me as a really dull existence outside of the top 6 and I hated the last few years in the Prem for that exact reason...and we were mainly shit. To the extent that I wanted us to go down and was open about that on here.

See you in the playoff final?
    Bristol City are beating us in the semis, don't be silly.

I think lower-league prem can be fun, as long as your team don't approach it too cynically. Years of signing bang average "experienced premier league players" on 60k/week under Pulis, scraping 45 points with 7 centrebacks and going out in round 3 of the FA cup made me wish we went down, but I reckon if you tried to build your team around young English players and fun foreign imports and properly went for it in the cup it would be a great laugh. Probably finish bottom on 20 points, but that's the inevitable outcome under the first model anyway, and you're far more fucked financially when it does happen - Barry is on about 200k/week for us atm.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Signing all the shit on their way down is what did for us. Richards, Lescott, Richardson, Cole, Senderos...we signed some serious fucking shite.

We'll see anyway. Still a lot to do and Leeds/Sheff Utd, Baggies, Villa and Bristol City, who are serious dark horses, is a strong group. Gonna be interesting.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Villa will stay in the Championship. Scumbags they are. The pussyholes.

Villa and Liverpool fans are joint top on my list of the worst. I dont like them.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SincereTheRebel View Post
    Villa will stay in the Championship. Scumbags they are. The pussyholes.

Villa and Liverpool fans are joint top on my list of the worst. I dont like them.
    I always thought 'Blue Nosers' were the shit ones?

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spikey M View Post
    I always thought 'Blue Nosers' were the shit ones?
    I dont know anyway. Actually I have never even seen one. Therefore, they do not exist.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SincereTheRebel View Post
    I dont know anyway. Actually I have never even seen one. Therefore, they do not exist.
    I had one for a girlfriend for 2 years. She was mental. They shouldn't exist.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In my days of stewarding at Brighton, Villa fans were indeed the worst.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How about the match on Sunday abandoned after racist chanting from the Chelsea fans for a bit of narrative?

Does feel like it's going to be a fairly pivotal weekend.

Off to Brighton this afternoon. Have Bournemouth won an away game yet this season?

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by igor_balis View Post
    Bristol City are beating us in the semis, don't be silly.

I think lower-league prem can be fun, as long as your team don't approach it too cynically. Years of signing bang average "experienced premier league players" on 60k/week under Pulis, scraping 45 points with 7 centrebacks and going out in round 3 of the FA cup made me wish we went down, but I reckon if you tried to build your team around young English players and fun foreign imports and properly went for it in the cup it would be a great laugh. Probably finish bottom on 20 points, but that's the inevitable outcome under the first model anyway, and you're far more fucked financially when it does happen - Barry is on about 200k/week for us atm.
    That sounds like what Fulham did, and they got their pants pulled down.

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Both games tomorrow will depend on who scores first. Palace are very much set up to be a counter-attacking team. Should they grab the first goal they could cause City some problems.
    Chelsea need points from Anfield but they know Liverpool must win. They should play on that. Especially if Liverpool go into the game having seen City win. Should Chelsea score first all the bad memories from 2014 will come flooding back through the crowd. Player wise only Sturridge and Henderson remain from then but this seems a much more tougher Liverpool side mentally.

This is the pivotal weekend though. City face a very tough run for a team that's played so many games. Whereas the fixture list for Liverpool looks a lot better after this weekend.
    There's also that feeling we had from January to March of 'wont they just lose a fucking game.'

I think City will end up winning it by 2-3 points. Their squad depth should see them over the line, but getting two teams into 90 points is great stuff assuming it happens.

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hazard loves it against Liverpool. Hudson Odoi rested. My body is ready for the tears.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Diogo Dalot starts [along with some mugs].

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Brighton well and truly rogered.

ram it up your shitpipe Giggles's Avatar
    Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by niko_cee View Post
    How about the match on Sunday abandoned after racist chanting from the Chelsea fans for a bit of narrative?

Does feel like it's going to be a fairly pivotal weekend.

Off to Brighton this afternoon. Have Bournemouth won an away game yet this season?

They have now.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oof. They'll still be fine but Brighton didn't half shit that. I think Hughton's at his limit.

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    utd on bt or leeds on sky? leaning towards the latter