User Tag List

Page 4 of 24 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: January Football 2019 bitches

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Kompany's quote about his own tackle is pretty much bang on:

"I thought it was a great challenge, was it not? I got the ball, a little bit of the man but it wasn't naughty. I didn't try to injure him. It was that or let him go through on goal."
    So,once you give the foul . . .

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It’s a professional foul near the halfway line, not reckless enough nor goalscoring enough for a red

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I reckon there should be an orange card whereby if you commit another foul in the game it's an automatic red. Some yellows just feel like they're well worth it and that should never be the case.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A lot of my friends have never seen Liverpool win a league title in their life time. It needs to stay that way, real talk.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That was an excellent game, really enjoyed it. Fernandinho makes a huge difference in there and City were quite clinical.

Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Manchester City 2-1 Liverpool: Premier League player ratings

https://www.theguardian.com/football...player-ratings

These player ratings from the Guardian seem a bit nuts. Henderson 6 while Milner 4? Van Dijk 5 while Alexander-Arnold gets 7? 4 seems harsh in Alisson as well.

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, they're all over the place. Alison may have done better with the goal, but he did well with some other chances. A 6 would be fair.

Henderson was chasing shadows, no idea why he scored a 6. I also thought van Dijk did well at intercepting a lot of final balls, I'd have him as one of Liverpool's best players.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Van Dijk was my man of the match. People's perceptions are entirely decided by goals/finishing which usually have nothing to do with the rest of the match.

So often on TV you'll hear the commentators describe how Team A is dominating the game, then they concede a random goal, and the narrative immediately switches to Team A's massive shortcomings.

Chelsea v Palace the other day was a great example. We were dire throughout, yet because we managed to force one in and Palace didn't, we were billed as a 'strong, professional performance'.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Scottish newspapers are terrible for that. Pretty regularly you'll see a game which either Celtic or Rangers won by three or four clear goals with every player on their team rated lower than the equivalent player on the opposition. The captions on those highly rated players will usually be some variation on 'Had a difficult day but never gave up and ran until the final whistle.'

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I always assumed they just made those things up.

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Disco View Post
    I always assumed they just made those things up.
    I thought it was well known that outside of L'Equipe they're just made up on the fly 2 minutes before you file your match report.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know why they bother. I'd much rather read a wdytoe of the match without the pointless numerical rating.

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They need the numbers so idiots can say "Alisson had a bad game yesterday" without paying attention, or even actually watching.

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it was Thierry Henry who called up a journalist absolutely raging after getting a 6 in the newspaper.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If asked to guess which player had done that I wouldn't have picked Henry, but I'd definitely have gone for an Arsenal player. Perhaps even Wenger on behalf of Denilson or something.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What's the deal with Bournemouth and Liverpool? They shelled out a small fortune on Jordan Ibe a few years ago (£15m?) and now they're sending over £19m for Solanke who, despite shwoing signs of promise on occasion, has done fuck all to really justify that level of fee (even if modern football is totally mad).

The I see Real Madrid are spending £15m+ on Diaz from City? Why are they bothering? Will he ever play for them?

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Third most expensive Engllish forward after Wor Andy (£35m) and Rooney (£30m).

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Andy Mahowry View Post
    Third most expensive Engllish forward after Wor Andy (£35m) and Rooney (£30m).
    Sterling counts as a forward surely? Welbeck was over £15m as well I thought.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sterling counts a winger and Welbeck was £16m:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/29023952

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does £19m even count for anything any more? My cantankerous heart tried to summon a sliver of outrage at some cunt who's never done anything anybody cares about going for nearly £20m but when you got some mop-haired helmet going for ten times that to fart about in France it's hard to pay these things any notice.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Aye, but Dominic Solanke for £19m, Callum Hudson-Odoi for offers in excess of £30m all feels a bit tulip bulb mania.

At least take Solanke on loan for 6 months to figure out if he's shit or not, although apparently they couldn't due to the Clyne loan - they'd have been better off buying him).

Hope one or both make their debut(s) tomorrow.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    £19 million for Solanke is the price of the betting ticket for him becoming good, in which case as a prized homegrown player he'll be going for £40 million plus and raking in however much in marketing value.

Immediate term football output is really not that important.

Hudson-Odoi is subject to slightly different market forces in that young, quick Engländers are very much the player of choice in the Bundesliga these days as I imagine they anticipate being able to sell them back to the big English sides at huge profits once they have looked amazing against the two-bit German defences for a while.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Has anyone ever had a big club - big club - smaller club - big success - big move career?

Lukaku comes close, I suppose, but he was always a bit of a prodigy even if he isn't that good. Solanke hasn't been able to get a game ahead of Daniel Sturridge and/or Divock Origi. I know Ings went for similar money, but at least he has the pedigree of doing something at some point int he past. Isn't all football about the here and now (immediate football output)? Especially at Bournemouth's level?

I was assuming maybe Wilson might be off for some ridiculous amount and this was Bournemouth getting their retaliation before the market did. Wasn't he linked to Chelsea recently?

I totally get the Hudson-Odoi gambit, but it's still mad, and what are Bayern Munich doing playing that game?

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is all this because of the England under 19s world cup win when all the players wore their shirts back-to-front like Kriss Kross so the world would remember their names?

Mentioned
    199 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don’t forget about the £18m Danny Ings post-[ma]loan deal.
    I'm a twit

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by niko_cee View Post
    Isn't all football about the here and now (immediate football output)? Especially at Bournemouth's level?
    Not since American-inspired execs started getting involved. If you can persistently avoid relegation, then in the era of the TV money safety blanket, that's all that's required from the here and now. In Bournemouth's case, they probably don't have the scale of setup required to deal with masses of multicultural players, so they stick with the undervalued defenders plus young English forwards model which clearly works for them (David Brooks a glorious signing in this mould). Most other clubs have their own strategy - Chelsea have been running a farm for some years and trying to fund ready-made first team signings by selling people whom it has no intention of ever using in its own squad (other than as a shop window, cf Hudson-Odoi). Newcastle, in the image of Sports Direct, try to do everything on the cheap and bet the house on a really good manager being able to paper over the cracks year after year. Even when they went down, they just trusted that it would only take a year for an excellent manager to get them back up again.

In short, players are not just seen as players now, they are transient money pieces in the wider football market. Watford is the most glaring example, they made at least a £25 million profit on Richarlison in just one season because Everton (a poorly run club, comparatively speaking) were mug enough to pay that for him. The owners can cream off some of that £25 million and the rest goes into further such speculations. Their actual team is fairly irrelevant, they keep Troy Deeney and Mariappa around to sign the shirts and scarves, the rest of them are just dollar bills in yellow kit. All they need to be is good enough to avoid relegation.

The complications that these execs really struggle to deal with are twofold: 1) relegation, which really fucks them off, and does swallow up teams who strategise poorly or have morons in charge (cf Swansea and countless others) and 2) the fact that the coach/manager is much more important in football than the puppet masters would like him to be. Mike Ashley understands this of course and the Fenway people, after some initial mis-steps, clearly worked it out fairly early on too when they splashed out on Klopp.

What I imagine we'll see over the next decade is that clubs will get a lot smarter, all but the best players will stop getting multi-year deals in the second halves of their careers (whoever signs up Aaron Ramsey on big money is making a very poor decision), the strong manager will return (except when relegation looms) and most players will become very, very expendable. They are also desperate to have Football League B-teams to promote more informed speculation, although they'll have to work hard to get that past the FA.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That would make sense because the Moneyballism you're talking about is based on American sports assumes that even the very best* players have a price in a way that used to be less the case for a big team back in't daaaay.

* I suppose even then in American sports (and NFL is the reference point for me) by "best" players I mean skill players. You can get by in the NFL with a professional core of hard cunts and that's often how the best teams really do it but what people see is the quarterbock lobbing the ball to some dickhead who'll fuck off and choose money over success at the first opportunity.

Mentioned
    199 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm a twit

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are a lot of different and interesting interpretations throughout the league, but you can spot the wankers fairly easily. Swansea appointing Bob Bradley (presumably in an attempt to gain influence over the direction of the team from boardroom level) was one of the worst appointments ever and it cost them their long term future. Everton haven't had a clue what they're doing for a while now, and only their general size keeps them from getting sucked into the bottom dogfight. Sunderland was/is a perfect storm of disaster. Burnley seem to have been somewhat affected by Jonathan Liew calling out their no-blacks-no-dogs-just-Irish recruitment strategy last season, think Dyche might have lost his way a bit.

Of the current clubs I slightly worry about Brighton, they have a good manager who they should keep, but whoever does the recruitment seems to think that Holland is a value market and that makes me a bit nervous on their behalf. The value markets for the PL are those with lots of similar level teams where good players can get buried and then uncovered - French lower leagues, Spanish/German mid table, and our own Championship.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Brighton's recruitment boffins are very good, I think. The problem, if there is one, is that there is no joined up thinking between them and Hughton. You can buy him as many Florin Andones and Yves Bissoumas as you like, but he's still going to keep plugging away with Glenn Murray and Dale Stephens.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Chong in the squad for tomorrow

Majestic.
    Last edited by randomlegend; 04-01-2019 at 09:42 PM.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dino View Post
    Brighton's recruitment boffins are very good, I think. The problem, if there is one, is that there is no joined up thinking between them and Hughton. You can buy him as many Florin Andones and Yves Bissoumas as you like, but he's still going to keep plugging away with Glenn Murray and Dale Stephens.
    Not sure that theory works when you consider that he played Izquierdo a lot last season, Bernardo has now become first choice left back, and Propper is one of the first names on the teamsheet.

Then away from the more flashy players, last season Ryan and Gross slot straight in.

Why wouldn't you continue with Murray, by the way? The man scores goals. Stephens is a good player; I'm not sure Bissouma would have been seen as a first choice (he's only 22 for one thing).

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Brighton have been bang on with their recruitment in the past few years (after the last lot were truly dreadful).

I can only think that Locadia is Jimmy's trigger point for the Dutch market, and yes, forwards from there are a bit hit and miss (and he's been more of a miss, unsurprisingly) - but then there's Propper, who has been very good.

Hughton is just the most safety first, if-it-aint-broke-don't-fix-it manager going. It's going to be 4-4-2. The back 4 picks itself now (Bernardo has been a quality signing, as has Montoya), Stephens and Propper are going to play central midfield (even though Kayal and Bissouma can be ore exciting) because they are reliable, and Murray is going to play upfront until he can't any more because he's still one of the leading goalscorers in the league for a team that scores no goals.

The difficulty might come when the fans stop being happy with staying up and go all Stoke and want the good football, as that isn't Hughton's game.

For the time being they're getting by quite nicely with the model, although it is of limited scope. As Jimmy says, to really go somewhere you need a visionary manager, not Dan Ashworth and a bunch of FM dickheads with their stats.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Meanwhile I see Spurs absolutely raped Tranmere tonight.

If they're going to go all meltdown and lose their manager and best players in the summer I'd love to have Son. He's such a quality player.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Reg View Post
    Not sure that theory works when you consider that he played Izquierdo a lot last season, Bernardo has now become first choice left back, and Propper is one of the first names on the teamsheet.

Then away from the more flashy players, last season Ryan and Gross slot straight in.

Why wouldn't you continue with Murray, by the way? The man scores goals. Stephens is a good player; I'm not sure Bissouma would have been seen as a first choice (he's only 22 for one thing).

I'm not convinced that Hughton has much of a say in the players they bring in. Brighton are clearly spending money intelligently, but the likes of Jahanbakhsh, Bissouma, Locadia etc just don't really line up with Chris Hughton.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I always forget about Jahanbakhsh (I'll take your word on the spelling). Can we mark that one down as a play for the Iranian market?

I think you are probably right as regards the recruitment folk, they make quite a big deal of it and Hughton is very much more a head coach than a manager in the classical sense.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wild theory time: Kenyon's takeover happens in the summer with Mourinho replacing an outgoing Rafa Benitez. We're doing fuck all business this month.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by niko_cee View Post
    I always forget about Jahanbakhsh (I'll take your word on the spelling). Can we mark that one down as a play for the Iranian market?

I think you are probably right as regards the recruitment folk, they make quite a big deal of it and Hughton is very much more a head coach than a manager in the classical sense.
    I was thinking of Jahanbaksh, Locadia and Propper with regards the Dutch league. 1/3 isn't terrible I guess.

I just worry that the main source of Brighton's success is Hughton's ability to organise a team over a season's length and not anything that could necessarily be replicated without him. They weren't exactly ripping it up before him, after all. But the fashionable way to look at it (as James appears to be doing) would be the opposite in that his pragmatic football is holding them back, but I'm really not sure that's the case.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On another note, this probably isn't an original thought but is Soccer AM's 'Brad Bobley' the worst comedy character ever devised?

Mentioned
    199 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Floyd View Post
    On another note, this probably isn't an original thought but is Soccer AM's 'Brad Bobley' the worst comedy character ever devised?
    Certainly not.
    I'm a twit

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've genuinely no idea whether that should be a penalty or not. I don't think Mata could have got to the ball so it was only ever going to fall to an offside player.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Get that hair cut you twat.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Yankees used to have a rule about no hair below the neckline and no facial hair apart from a neat tache. English football needs a villainous superheel team and I feel United are perfectly poised to be that team should they so wish.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I seem to remember Fabio Cannavaro being told to cut his hair when he became Inter captain.

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Calling it now, Chong will never amount to anything. He'll be lucky to end up at Ipswich.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some hair envy that.

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And why isn't Lee Grant starting?

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am currently mingling With Tim Cahill, Harry Kewell and.... Issa Hayatou

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Andreas Pereira has been rubbish today. What are his main attributes meant to be?

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Spanish and nice side parting.