Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had no idea what 'Crisps' had done but it's fun watching them all drop out. niko_cee played his cards too early dropping out.

I'd like to announce my availability to present Match of the Day tomorrow.

Also, upon reading up on what he'd done I was surprised how many news sources refer to these people as immigrants and not refugees... then realised I did it earlier today.
    I'm a twit

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...im-one-of-them

Adrian Chiles will do it for a plate of sausage butties.

The Artist Formerly Known as Taz
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The world would be some place if MOTD-level punditry died a death. Mental health of a nation could be salvaged.

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There he is

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "No presenters or pundits will feature on Saturday's Match of the Day programme, a BBC spokesperson says.

Saturday's Match of the Day programme will "focus on match action without studio presentation or punditry", they say."

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Surely those who are commentating on the games are going to get dragged into this as well.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is a proper culture war flashpoint. Government using its control of the state broadcaster to silence a prominent critic.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Was just thinking that and it's utterly pathetic, or worse, something you'd see in a tinpot dictatorship.

Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Everything’s going to be fine

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you want to work for the BBC, which the public are compelled to pay for, you should keep your political opinions to yourself (or at least try to). Why is that so difficult? Its continued existence literally depends on not pissing half the country off, yet its defenders seem to want it to for short term Twitter points.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it's the inconsistency. It appears that some BBC presenters over the years have been able to voice their opinions (Andrew Neil was one example I saw) without any sort of consequence. When you factor in who's running the BBC as well now, it very much looks government appeasement.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't see how it matters what the presenters of football, or dancing, or antiques think about politics. News/politics show presenters, maybe.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's remain impartial unless you're tonguing our arseholes/egging us on to be bigger bastards that is irritating people. If Linekar tweets 'send the buggers back' The Guardian goes mad but I doubt you have Cruella directly briefing against him in interviews.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewis View Post
    If you want to work for the BBC, which the public are compelled to pay for, you should keep your political opinions to yourself (or at least try to). Why is that so difficult? Its continued existence literally depends on not pissing half the country off, yet its defenders seem to want it to for short term Twitter points.
    But the way it’s acting now is pissing half the country off. As I said yesterday if he was full right wing Brexit means Brexit why are we letting foreign into the country the press wouldn’t have gone for him in the same way.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Small time state.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In what universe would a prominent BBC presenter spouting off about immigration and making their own spurious Third Reich comparisons not be dropped like a sack of hot shit? The Daily Mail might not have gone for them, but the BBC would still have canned them without hesitating before Twitter forced them into it.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Luke Emia View Post
    But the way it’s acting now is pissing half the country off. As I said yesterday if he was full right wing Brexit means Brexit why are we letting foreign into the country the press wouldn’t have gone for him in the same way.
    The (right leaning) press might not have but the result would have been the same.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yevrah View Post
    The (right leaning) press might not have but the result would have been the same.
    It wouldn’t who listens to The Guardian and The Mirror anyway? The BBC is petrified by the government and the right wing press and their reaction to anything they do.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mo View Post
    I think it's the inconsistency. It appears that some BBC presenters over the years have been able to voice their opinions (Andrew Neil was one example I saw) without any sort of consequence. When you factor in who's running the BBC as well now, it very much looks government appeasement.
    This is the problem and in particular Gary's monologue before the Qatar World Cup, which presumably the BBC signed off on if not put him up to it. If you're going to say your presenters can't be political then it's all or nothing.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It wouldn’t who listens to The Guardian and The Mirror anyway? The BBC is petrified by the government and the right wing press and their reaction to anything they do.
    If you genuinely believe that a leading BBC sport's presenter coming out and saying "why are we letting foreigners into the country" wouldn't cost him his job then your World view is divorced from reality.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just read that Crisps earns £1.3m a year. To read off an autocue for a few minutes one night a week. That’s more baffling than any knee-jerk bollocks he tweets.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He’s not fucking wrong though and as I keep saying if the BBC are happy for him to slag off Qatar for the way they act then really they need to suck it up when he complains about this country threatening to break international law.

I can pretty much guarantee that the thick as shit people that this stops the boats bullshit plays to couldn’t give a rats arse about where the people are from. Just because somebody was born in the UK they will still see them as foreign if they are Asian or Black or Eastern European. Sunak and Braverman to the type of voters they are playing up to are still ‘Paki’s’ and nothing they do is going to stop that.

This country really needs to stop with this ‘When we ruled the fucking world’ attitude because it’s taking us nowhere. We don’t have enough people to work in the country if people want to come here and work and contribute and pay taxes let them in. Because in 30/40 years time when we are stuck with an ageing population and can’t afford basics that’s going to be a lot worse than this.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yevrah View Post
    If you genuinely believe that a leading BBC sport's presenter coming out and saying "why are we letting foreigners into the country" wouldn't cost him his job then your World view is divorced from reality.
    He wouldn’t because if there was the threat of it The Mail, The Express and The Sun would be on the BBC like a fucking shot.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 7om View Post
    I just read that Crisps earns £1.3m a year. To read off an autocue for a few minutes one night a week. That’s more baffling than any knee-jerk bollocks he tweets.
    He took a pay cut the last time some (unrelated) other shit kicked off IIRC too.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He’s not fucking wrong though and as I keep saying if the BBC are happy for him to slag off Qatar for the way they act then really they need to suck it up when he complains about this country threatening to break international law.

I can pretty much guarantee that the thick as shit people that this stops the boats bullshit plays to couldn’t give a rats arse about where the people are from. Just because somebody was born in the UK they will still see them as foreign if they are Asian or Black or Eastern European. Sunak and Braverman to the type of voters they are playing up to are still ‘Paki’s’ and nothing they do is going to stop that.

This country really needs to stop with this ‘When we ruled the fucking world’ attitude because it’s taking us nowhere. We don’t have enough people to work in the country if people want to come here and work and contribute and pay taxes let them in. Because in 30/40 years time when we are stuck with an ageing population and can’t afford basics that’s going to be a lot worse than this.
    You don't think the BBC or its prominent personalities should be impartial. Okay. But don't complain when a future right-wing government abolishes it.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He wouldn’t because if there was the threat of it The Mail, The Express and The Sun would be on the BBC like a fucking shot.
    What, to defend someone who thinks and has publicly stated that we shouldn't let any forriners into the country? It's a stupid position to take at the very least (much like comparing the government's rhetoric to the Third Reich) so I can't really see what the defence would be.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You don't think the BBC or its prominent personalities should be impartial. Okay. But don't complain when a future right-wing government abolishes it.
    It's run its course anyway now. Sure it had its place once upon a time, but media has been so decentralised it's becoming increasingly irrelevant and I'm not sure there's even an argument to suggest it's fulfilling a public service these days, let alone an argument that people should be forced to pay for it.

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    John Motson’s silence is deafening

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Too soon.

The Artist Formerly Known as Taz
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No pundits and potentially no commentators too? We eating good tomorrow night.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Commentators are standing with Crisps. As are players:

"BBC Sport understands a number of players from various clubs have contacted the Professional Footballers Association (PFA) tonight saying they may want to show solidarity with Gary Lineker and Match of the Day pundits over the BBC impartiality row by boycotting the programme's post-match interviews tomorrow.

The PFA - which has been in talks with players and clubs on the matter - are believed to be supportive of any players who choose to do so."

Man(c) of the People igor_balis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The players threatening to boycott too is fucking mad, I love it.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The BBC are in it now, and their commitment to impartiality is on the line. They should sack every pundit and commentator who refuses to work and just automate some commentary over the extended coverage that they can now show instead of interviews and shite.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I imagine the next issue brewing is now the people who actually work on pulling the show together. It's conceivable they might not actually be able to show anything tomorrow night.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do people actually watch Match of the Day anymore? The premier league highlights on YouTube give you everything you need and you don’t have to listen to Jermaine Jenas or Danny Murphy talk complete garbage in between.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You could see them having nothing to show this weekend (in which case everyone not doing their job at every level should be sacked), but the Premier League will put something together for next week. The clubs and the league aren't going to their Product drop off the screen for Crisps' right to talk shit on his taxpayer-funded salary.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All the commentators have pulled out now.

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nottingham Forrest will conduct interviews as normal tomorrow. Not much surprise there, the massive scabs. Newcastle the only other PL team to join them.

Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 7om View Post
    Do people actually watch Match of the Day anymore? The premier league highlights on YouTube give you everything you need and you don’t have to listen to Jermaine Jenas or Danny Murphy talk complete garbage in between.
    Every week. I enjoy the punditry.
    I'm a twit

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Floyd View Post
    I don't see how it matters what the presenters of football, or dancing, or antiques think about politics. News/politics show presenters, maybe.
    Isn't this almost literally what the BBC impartiality guidelines say?

ram it up your shitpipe Giggles's Avatar
    Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sky have laid it out very clearly illustrating the BBC’s fuck up that even the mong on the street will be able to play the video and understand.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Didn't Jeremy Clarkson refer to Gordon Brown as a one eyed Scottish idiot whilst on the BBC payroll? Impartial

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I seem to remember the aggro about that being the disability angle; but yes, Jeremy Clarkson used to do things a decade ago that helped determine how the BBC now operates in a more delicate political climate.

ram it up your shitpipe Giggles's Avatar
    Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I seem to remember the aggro about that being the disability angle; but yes, Jeremy Clarkson used to do things a decade ago that helped determine how the BBC now operates in a more delicate political climate.
    When it suits.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I note the government hasn't given a shiny shit about the double digit number of bias allegation incidents Laura Kuenssberg has been involved in over the last decade. Yet Emily Maitlis was hammered for all hers. Wonder why?
    Last edited by Lofty; 11-03-2023 at 09:54 AM.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Which ones?

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    2019 election claimed Labour had been twatted in the postal votes the day before the polls.

Claimed a Labour activist assaulted a Conservative campaigner with no evidence, later found to be untrue (so much for the BBC double source rule lol).

Contradicted evidence from other journalists in 2020 about Cummings' trip to Barnard Castle saying it was legal, essentially being his mouthpiece (confirmed by Cummings 2021 parliamentary committee).

Never mind stuff like dodgy edits of interviews like showing Corbyn's answer to a different question to the one asked, or just the general tone difference on her pieces depending on who she is dealing with.

May's pathetic 'Laura' as she was eviscerated at a press conference shows exactly what the government regarded her as.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks like Football Focus could be about to follow.