User Tag List

View Poll Results: Who will receive your vote?

Voters
44. You may not vote on this poll
  • Theresa May's Conservatives

10 22.73%
  • Jeremy Corbyn's Labour

23 52.27%
  • Tim Farron's Liberal Democrats

3 6.82%
  • Paul Nuttall's UKIP

0 0%
  • 2 people's Greens

1 2.27%
  • Nicholas Durgeon's Scottish Nationalists

1 2.27%
  • Satan's Sinn Fein

0 0%
  • Dr Ian Paisley's DUP

0 0%
  • Some other bunch of nonces

2 4.55%
  • I'm foreign, but I wish I were an Englishman

4 9.09%
Page 94 of 260 FirstFirst ... 44849293949596104144194 ... LastLast
Results 4,651 to 4,700 of 12988

Thread: UK General Election 2017 - 8 June

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Still remain for me. Purely for the money.

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I voted remain because I thought it was a bad idea before but I'd vote remain this time safe in the knowledge that our political establishment is clearly not up to the job of getting it done anyway.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That as well. Even the pro-leave guys shat themselves.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Labour conference has come around and there's already been a proposal to replace Google with a state-owned search engine. Love Labour conference, it's the absolute best.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would be interested to know what these cranks don't think the state should run. The state-subsidised 'public interest' journalists was another good one.

Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewis View Post
    I would be interested to know what these cranks don't think the state should run. The state-subsidised 'public interest' journalists was another good one.
    Isn't that just the BBC?

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I suppose (close that down), but they seemed to be thinking more along the lines of taxpayers bailing out those Canary spastics.

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Inspiring. Give it to the inanimate carbon rod.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wonder when the Labour membership will realise they actually need to replace Mr Corbyn with a plausible leader. I genuinely think Angela Rayner would piss it.

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He's setting up some woman I've never heard of to be his successor by installing her as deputy. I'm sure she's well balanced and totally normal.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The various women on that wing of the party are some of the thickest thickos in public life.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Floyd View Post
    I wonder when the Labour membership will realise they actually need to replace Mr Corbyn with a plausible leader. I genuinely think Angela Rayner would piss it.
    So I'm a lot more out of UK politics than I used to be, but I get the feeling that if Labour nominated someone competent, they'd destroy the next election. Fair?

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fair, but the lunatics have been running the asylum for long enough now that it may be structurally impossible for that to happen. The left hate the 'Blairites' just as much, if not more than they hate the Tories. Yet to win, they need the votes of all those people who voted for Tony but aren't all that sold on revolutionary Marxism.

We're experiencing an odd reversal similar to what happened in America decades ago whereby Labour have completely lost the white working class.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ed West was predicting the Americanization of British politics (one side for queers and minorities, the other for white people) for as long as I've known who he was, but, obviously not seeing all of the referendum/communism stuff, he thought it would be a gradual drift. Only Steve Hilton can save us now.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ItalAussie View Post
    So I'm a lot more out of UK politics than I used to be, but I get the feeling that if Labour nominated someone competent, they'd destroy the next election. Fair?
    Depends when the next election is.

If it happens before we leave the EU (I suppose before next year) and Labour have to have an actual position on the issue (rather than no to a deal, no to no deal) and the position is in "People's Vote" territory then good old Theresa might end up getting the Ukip swing murdering she thought she was going to get last time. But there are any number of factors against that happening.

The most lol thing I saw out of the conference today was some div going on about how Jez and co were out of touch with the young new membership of the party on this issue. It's as if they have no idea who he is.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would say Jez and co are actually quite astute on that particular point, because by positioning yourself as Remain at this point all you're doing is alienating 52% of the electorate. The New Party tossers would do well to recognise this as well.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, having a position other than ‘They’re fucking this right up’ would be pretty bloody stupid.

- Back ‘remain’ and alienate the 52%. Most of which aren’t Labour voters already, but you may have been able to swing off the back of Tory uselessness.

- Back ‘Leave’ and haemorrhage your core vote.

Non-specific speeches and avoiding questions won the last election for Tezza. Seeing as nothing good has ever come from Corbz opening his mouth, he should be studying that blueprint.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well yes, but I don't think you could contest an(other) election called on the basis of brexit without some sort of defined policy on the matter.

I assumed that was what the snap election murmuring from team Theresa (which must be her, her husband and that civil servant who apparently runs everything) was about. If you make 'no deal' a general election issue (ie if it is looming and very real) you can't really stand on the basis of "well, we'd get a better deal". Although, saying that, that's probably not as fanciful as half the other shit which would be getting promised, so maybe the UK needs a good dose of Corbynomics to make the pall of the 1970s seem less remote.

Enjoy your nationalised everything.

Not that we wouldn't be too.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The People's Half, where all new threads and moderating decisions have to be run by the newly-created 'Internet Ombudsman', who has no online presence other than a Hatfield IP address.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Labour conference has come around and there's already been a proposal to replace Google with a state-owned search engine. Love Labour conference, it's the absolute best.
    Please tell me there's linkage...

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If Keir Starmer got the leadership I might bother to re-register to vote.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Starmer is a horrible man.

He has also just made a huge political error.

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Starmer is a horrible man.

He has also just made a huge political error.
    I like how even after the conversation above you still think talking about the possibility of a remain vote counts as a political erorr.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's exactly what was being said in the discussion above. The nonsense fudge is their best bet as it doesn't alienate anyone.

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah nothing that's happened over the last 2 years has left anyone else alienated. That's for sure.

People need to stop treating everyone below them like they're thick. They already see the fudge.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You are very out of touch. If we did the referendum again, even in a best case for Remain, there would be a 45% leave vote. That's a fuck of a lot of voters for a major party to ostracise, especially when a lot of them are in its traditional heartlands.

You can't read the mood in the UK via twitter.

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    But you pretend that every last % of that vote prioritizes leaving the EU over absolutely everything else which just simply isn't true. 'Look I'll live in a ditch with bread and water for supper as long as I got muh freedom' is Lewis and about 5 other people. Remain lost because there was absolutely no argument for it, just arguments against not being in it.

"We'll make your lives better and if we didn't have to spend the whole time over Michel Barniers barrel, it'd be a bit easier to do it" isn't a hard argument to make.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would agree with that in isolation, insofar as the so-called Labour heartlands would, in a straight choice, vote for them even if they promised to join the Euro and make it the law that you had to be bummed by at least one immigrant a year (hence why the Liberal Democrats putting it all on remain was a waste of time); but I also think that voiding a referendum would be your best bet to shatter those sort of assumptions.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Whilst I agree with that analysis, it is the same sort of thinking that has seen Labour all but wiped out in Scotland, where they were previously beyond dominant.

The danger (from the perspective of the witless intelligentsia) in a second referendum isn't that you lose it again (this time it splits 49 remain, 35 deal, 16 no deal which won't be the clusterfuck it logically should be) - it is that in 5 years some Trumpian figure rises and galvanises the downtrodden white vote into one cause and causes all manner of havoc.

To use the parlance of the times, you can't have your cake and eat it with regards to ignoring the outcome of the original referendum.

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I come at it from my Mums side of the family that are as working class/Brexit as it gets.

From Erdington, my Uncle was in the TA and spent years needing a hip replacement (injured in Kosovo) and not getting it on the NHS, my Aunt is the definition of a single mother who married a bloke who walked out on her and her 2 kids (I later found out he was forcibly walked out by the police for selling heroin next to a school), one of those kids (younger than I am) had one child of every race before I'd turned 24.

The only thing they care about is subjects that begin with 'I don't mean to be racist bab but...' and end in 'There's too many Poles and everyone else who doesn't look like us'.

The only thing you can offer these people that isn't putting everyone who doesn't pass the smell test on a boat is prosperity. Outside of that you're just arguing the % that gets shipped out. Which leaves everyone unhappy.

The issue Niko/Lewis raises is the only thing, fail to deliver prosperity and you'll have the Brownshirts running the asylum not far after.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "We can't enslave them but we can trap them here for life with our service industry and retail jobs."

How that for a pitch?

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do enjoy Phonics Anti-Brexit rage, from his ivory tower, in a hugely rich country, that isn’t even in the EU. Take it to Twitter you cunt.

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spikey M View Post
    I do enjoy Phonics Anti-Brexit rage, from his ivory tower, in a hugely rich country, that isn’t even in the EU. Take it to Twitter you cunt.
    Switzerland is effectively in the EU. Far more aligned than Britain was pre-Brexit at least. But to put it in perspective our deal with the EU is still being negotiated despite negotiations starting in 78. So they just sign bilateral agreements agreeing with whatever the EU does.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've changed my mind on how I'd vote.

I was conflicted before and convinced by the undemocratic scheming of the EU to suggest a LEAVE vote.

I've now decided that it should be REMAIN even if that means a second referendum, the idea of which I detest. I will admit that there are personal considerations because of my geographic location.

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Henry View Post
    I was conflicted before and convinced by the undemocratic scheming of the EU to suggest a LEAVE vote.
    I will take Lewis, Jimmy's and my racist Aunts points on the EU. Congratulations on having the worst vote leave reason possible.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You’re probably the best reason to leave going at the moment.

Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by phonics View Post
    I will take Lewis, Jimmy's and my racist Aunts points on the EU. Congratulations on having the worst vote leave reason possible.
    I really don't understand your reasoning here.

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spikey M View Post
    You’re probably the best reason to leave going at the moment.
    A kid that was forced to emigrate abroad (but within the same region like the ROI) for tax reasons, didn't do well at school and used the inbuilt advantages of growing up in that country/school system to out-earn 90% of the populace of the country he originated from?

Yeah, terrible example.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Boydy View Post
    You need an Enigma machine to understand what Phonics is bibbling about at the best of times, never mind on a subject he feels he can get smug about.

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If your reason for leaving is 'How they treated Greece', you could sit comfortable in the fact that you'd never be treated like that because you're too important to them unless you left, in which case they'd treat you like they did Greece for daring to leave. By voting leave out of that belief, you've caused the situation you wanted to avoid.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A kid that was forced to emigrate abroad (but within the same region like the ROI) for tax reasons, didn't do well at school and used the inbuilt advantages of growing up in that country/school system to out-earn 90% of the populace of the country he originated from?

Yeah, terrible example.
    Aren't both your parents reasonably well to do and in positions of influence?

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    Aren't both your parents reasonably well to do and in positions of influence?
    My Dad was a painter and decorator working on building sites his whole life.

My Mum was born to a Dad who was sold to a hotel as a baby for shillings and my Nan who was adopted, the family grew up in an orphanage that my Nan was a nurse at. My family on my mums side is from Erdington and I've already explained involves a member of the TA and an aunt who was married to a heroin dealer. She's literally the definition of the 'working class done good story' she worked her way up from Boots Makeup Girl to Vice-President of Beauty for P&G. I'm not sure how that would affect my views.

I went from being one of the best off people in my school to being one of the poorest when I moved here. I am at the lowest tier of well-off and understand that privilege and wouldn't throw away those possibilities for others. None of these things are the reason I'm pro-EU though.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Dad was a painter and decorator working on building sites his whole life.

My Mum was born to a Dad who was sold to a hotel as a baby for shillings and my Nan who was adopted, the family grew up in an orphanage that my Nan was a nurse at. My family on my mums side is from Erdington and I've already explained involves a member of the TA and an aunt who was married to a heroin dealer. She's literally the definition of the 'working class done good story' she worked her way up from Boots Makeup Girl to Vice-President of Beauty for P&G. I'm not sure how that would affect my views.

I went from being one of the best off people in my school to being one of the poorest when I moved here. I am at the lowest tier of well-off and understand that privilege and wouldn't throw away those possibilities for others. None of these things are the reason I'm pro-EU though.
    Right, so you're the son of a VP with a worldwide company that counts its revenue in the tens of billions. I'm sure it was the inbuilt benefits of the EU and those alone that helped you out.

I couldn't be less interested in your views, but that little biography you've offered up is about as disingenuous as anything ever posted here.

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No I grew up the son of a woman that worked at Boots. When I moved she was a mid-tier sales person for Oil of Olay. Our house in the UK when we moved cost the same as Baz' did (factoring in living in Surrey not St Helens). That she retired as a VP by the time I'm 30 doesn't really affect my opinion.

Instead of demeaning the incredible achievements of my mother you could ask what my reason for being pro-EU is considering I said that my experience isn't the deciding factor.

Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So you didn't go to the same fancy private school as Mert then?

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So you didn't go to the same fancy private school as Mert then?
    Part of the contract to move us out there was that the company paid for it. Same for my health insurance etc. They made more money by not paying taxes than the outlay of moving tens of thousands of people to Switzerland.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Henry, when you say scheming, do you mean in general or specifically with the brexit negotiations? Or both?

Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh, I see. You're a regular Oliver Twist then. Not sure how you've coped with such hardship.

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh, I see. You're a regular Oliver Twist then. Not sure how you've coped with such hardship.
    I am at the lowest tier of well-off and understand that privilege and wouldn't throw away those possibilities for others.
    Jesus Christ. I'm not sure how much more clear I can be that I am infinitely grateful for everything that's been afforded me and the circumstances that gave me those opportunities and think they need to be available to all.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is the Oxbridge graduate digging in for a class war?