User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Patriotism

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Patriotism

Do you consider yourself patriotic? Possibly an interesting topic given current circumstances. #moarfreds

London 2012 was peak imo, closely followed by 1917 and Farage in European parliament. Captain Tom doesn't even warrant a semi.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, but for small things, not institutions. I'll tub thump for bacon and eggs and dry humour, but not for the army or indeed the NHS.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sport aside, not particularly. I'd leave tomorrow givenbthebchance.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I sometimes feel more pro-English as a gut response to Scottish people moaning about the English but broadly speaking no, not really.

Geographical coincidence doesn't give me much of a hard-on.

And overtly patriotic English / British people tend to make me cringe.

EDIT: Because those are the people I am liable to be associated with / compared to, not because our brand of patriotism is worse than anybody elses.

ram it up your shitpipe Giggles's Avatar
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very. Not really sure why.

The Artist Formerly Known as Taz
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah we're one of the best at football and have a rich cultural history. Nigga that shit isn't gonna pay my bills or suck my dick so no, I don't actually care outside trolling.

Man(c) of the People igor_balis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    London 2012 was probably the least patriotic I've ever felt, I know it's partly on me for being a cynical cunt but I fucking hate athletics anyway, and everything about it from the union jack waving to the obsessive medal counting and sebastian Coe (I HATE sebastian coe) filled me with revulsion. Oh Igor, you watching the rowing final? tarquin fetheringham-debussy has a real chance of a silver! Mate I hope he drowns.

Yet during England test matches I get horny at mostly posh cunts dispatching our old colonies to all ends of the ground so I'll admit I lack consistency.

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Most patriotic I get is England at major football tournaments, and I think another key distinction (aside from football being good and all athletics being shit) is that, rightly or wrongly, I never feel there's as many annoying lay people ruining it.

Despite football being massive, aside from the odd greb at the pub doing their excellent and not annoying moss from it crowd "ooh did the football man do a kick', not-liking-football-as-personality-trait routine, we're largely left to it, whereas even people like my nan will wanna talk to me about how well we're doing it the fucking javelin or some shit. Sorry nan, can you tell me the story about accidentally getting two egg coupons in that rationing book in 1944 again instead.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not especially but I'm not a big fan of shitting on your own doorstep either. I'm down for some flag-waving when it comes to sport but little else.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Moving to Amsterdam in a month or so and not sure if I'll come back.

There's things I love about England (tea, innate cynicism, deadpan humour, pubs) but there's lots that gets on my nerves (Tories/Farage/Brexit, tabloids, general rejection of intelligence over crude slogans/jingoism).

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nope. Not at all.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not that patriotic about sport, weirdly. Most of our national teams annoy me. I will rally for us against certain hated foes, though, like Welsh rugby or Australian/Indian cricket.

I got more into us winning the cricket World Cup last year after it happened, and Australia/India began a trail of tears that continues to this day, than I was while the World Cup was actually on.

Mentioned
    200 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Nope. Not at all.
    Same.
    I'm a twit

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Floyd View Post
    I'm not that patriotic about sport, weirdly. Most of our national teams annoy me. I will rally for us against certain hated foes, though, like Welsh rugby or Australian/Indian cricket.

I got more into us winning the cricket World Cup last year after it happened, and Australia/India began a trail of tears that continues to this day, than I was while the World Cup was actually on.
    Fuck, reading this makes me realise I'm kinda the same deep down with cricket. Love beating aus and india, but if I'm truly honest with myself, I secretly end up rooting (pun intended? Maybe) for the underdogs, especially at places like lords, and especially teams like Sri Lanka and the deshis.

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ireland bowling us out for about 90 at lords was one of my 2019 sporting highlights.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When we lost to the Netherlands at the T20 World Cup (the second time, rather than the first mad one at Lord's), I was fucking loving it. I also love it when we get beat in the Caribbean or away to Pakistan. India can go fuck themselves though.

I also fucking HATE the barmy army which doesn't help matters.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think more than I'd like to admit.

When it comes to sport I loathe the national football side but I'm well behind the athletics sportspeople and then it's mixed between other sports.

In other forms of entertainment I think Britain kills it (mainly humour) and I am a big fan of the NHS. I also can't see myself ever wanting to move away from England too.

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I also fucking HATE the barmy army which doesn't help matters.
    Same. When I saw the last ashes test at edgbaston me and my mate ended up sat next to about 30 middle aged aussies, in the stand next to the hollies. After the painful, slow "people always ask us...who we are ...where we come from", the bloke directly next to me stood up and shouted "no they fakin dont ya boring CANTS", and I couldnt stop laughing for about 10 minutes. Noticed a few people sat near me clearly annoyed with themselves for also finding it funny .

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like to see British sporting bods do well but I think that's more to do with proximity/familiarity than any great patriotic fervour. You certainly wouldn't find me waving a flag and I couldn't for the life of me tell you why people turn out in their droves to look at the Queen. I think I might even lump people who claim to be patriots in with football tattoos and casual racism/sexism as those I'd just rather not be associated with.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Andy Mahowry View Post
    When it comes to sport I loathe the national football side but I'm well behind the athletics sportspeople and then it's mixed between other sports.
    Your national team complex is the nonciest thing anyone on this board does.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewis View Post
    It's more the media and the national band that piss me off these days rather than the actual team.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by igor_balis View Post
    Same. When I saw the last ashes test at edgbaston me and my mate ended up sat next to about 30 middle aged aussies, in the stand next to the hollies. After the painful, slow "people always ask us...who we are ...where we come from", the bloke directly next to me stood up and shouted "no they fakin dont ya boring CANTS", and I couldnt stop laughing for about 10 minutes. Noticed a few people sat near me clearly annoyed with themselves for also finding it funny .
    I say this as someone who has stood in their offices (the fact that they have offices is a fucking giveaway to begin with), but it's just all wrong and far too earnest. England cricket is not something to be supported like that, trying to make it about you. They basically trail around the world, lording it over mostly poorer countries that we once colonised, and expecting them to love our cringeworthy banter.

To support English cricket properly you have to be a moaning, cynical fuck who basically hates them. The team doesn't exist to be loved. Every time that Billy the trumpeter (I've met him as well, fml) comes on those Sky retrospective things wide-eyed saying 'Oh, mate, the Aussies, they were hating it, and then Freddie and Stokesy did this, and then Jimmy bowled him out' I just think for goodness sake, you're getting cricket wrong.

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewis View Post
    Yeah man, this should sort you out mahow.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cheers Igor, I've just ordered a full kit.

Can't wait until next Summer now.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Raoul Duke View Post
    Moving to Amsterdam in a month or so and not sure if I'll come back.

There's things I love about England (tea, innate cynicism, deadpan humour, pubs) but there's lots that gets on my nerves (Tories/Farage/Brexit, tabloids, general rejection of intelligence over crude slogans/jingoism).
    Innate cynicism is something I value deeply, and yet it is so at-odds with how things are here. I'm constantly painted as the cynic.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not at all it is for mongs.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    “Innate cynicism”, lol. If you want to see actual cynicism, come to Eastern Europe. You brits are just playing at being cynical, like a quirky personality trait

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I suppose if you're going to willy-wave over whose cynicism is better this is the thread for it.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cynicism is stupid

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well that's a bit cynical.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've always thought the eastern bloc folk to be more fatalistic than cynical.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fatalism is cynicism that’s not a put-on

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And has a different definition.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’d hope so, they’re 2 different words

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good, then I'm glad we've agreed that one is not 'the other, but-'

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wilfully misunderstanding Czech people is just bullying without class.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, but for small things, not institutions. I'll tub thump for bacon and eggs and dry humour, but not for the army or indeed the NHS.
    This sums up my attitude. I like our culture and think we are too quick to dismiss it or, worse, refuse to accept that we even have one. The older I get the less tolerant I become of cunts doing anything English down (I am thinking in terms of England here - obviously there are strong similarities with other Brits but also important distinctions). The patronising bollocks did my head in throughout all the Brexit stuff, and I’m pretty firmly pro-European both politically and in terms of my worldview of our place (and importance) in wider European culture and history.

Anything English being seen as unsophisticated and backward in comparison to almost anybody else. Fuck off, you condescending twats. Lots of shit about how awful the Tories are (which I agree with generally) compared to European governments, half of which are also their own equivalent of Tories and even worse in the case of the likes of Poland and Hungary. But, of course, ours being from here are automatically more awful.

I think I remember Jo Swinson (lol) at some point during the election campaign making a shit point on Twitter about Europeaness by eating a croissant for breakfast. The fucking weirdo. As if a full English/Scottish/whatever isn’t just as European, thus undermining her whole point. The thick bitch.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why the British metro left hates Britain is a bookworthy topic. I don't have the answer. I hardly think the French metro left hates France, and I'm certain that the east and west coast liberal lefts don't hate America.

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why the British metro left hates Britain is a bookworthy topic. I don't have the answer. I hardly think the French metro left hates France, and I'm certain that the east and west coast liberal lefts don't hate America.
    because "Britishness" has been co-opted by twats far more decisively here than the equiv in other countries i think

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by igor_balis View Post
    because "Britishness" has been co-opted by twats far more decisively here than the equiv in other countries i think
    All countries have nationalist wankers. I doubt we’re any worse for it. We don’t have to let them own the flag.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tbf I doubt people who hate the Tories are praising fucking Orban.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No but they would fawn over the likes of Merkel and Rutte who are as Tory as it gets and were quite happy fucking over the Greeks, Italians, Spanish, Portuguese and Irish in favour of the major German and French banks during the Euro crisis. For no other reason other than that they were on the opposite team to the British, it seems.

I’m no ‘let’s whitewash British history’ merchant. We’ve done plenty of shitty things. But it oughtn’t deter people from having a bit of pride in the culture which forms them and to which they contribute. It’s a reflex you see particularly in response to foreign policy events/crises of all sorts. Yer man Corbyn being a prime example in his response to things like the Russians poisoning UK residents and the Americans taking out evil shits like Soleimani.

The fucking hypocrisy of it.
    Last edited by Lee; 17-05-2020 at 12:27 AM.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    'Britishness' is pretend gin o'clock, Olympic opening ceremony, New Labour wank. It's England and 'Englishness' that the wankers despise.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes. Completely agree.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is why the whole 'British Values' thing is stupid. British values are the values of the British state, because they can't be anything else, which is why people who attempt to define them inevitably do so with contemporary fuzzy political balls like 'fair play' and 'tolerance' or state stuff like democracy and the rule of law. It works as a legalese catch-all for telling Muslims to get with the programme, but the idea that the rest of us are bound by our shared reluctance to cheat in a quiz get lost Gordon Brown I'll cheat to win like Robert Clive.

Why the whammerati dislike England is a good one. I suppose the individual nationalities are based primarily on ethnicity, making them exclusionary by definition, and Englishness, by virtue of England being the dominant country in the United Kingdom, is a) not as amenable to being hijacked by 'civic nationalists' who can pretend that these words mean things that they don't ('Blue Labour' lol); and b) is therefore the biggest block on the Great British Yoghurt Knit Off. Alternatively, it's just pseudo-intellectualism writ large, like when people rave about crap 'cinema', or pretend that they used to watch Serie A. The enjoyment is not to much in the product itself (and it is a product to these people) as the perceived exclusivity of it. Maybe both. Englishness prevents Britishness being the equal of their idealised Europeanism.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Barely. I enjoy nationalist satire, and sports-wise, sure - there's plenty. But really, patriotism is something quite alien to me. There's probably a lot to that - firstly simply that I've never really felt at home, until very recently, anywhere I lived. I was raised most of my childhood 300 miles and a border from where the family considered home and didn't fell at all at home in the midlands, combined with having moved through Scotland, England, Wales, back to Scotland and then back to England.

Now, I actually do feel at home in Islington, but I still care nothing for English patriotism and also little for the Scots patriotism of my family which they pushed me to adopt. I never really liked British patriotism, as so much of that is wrapped up in Irish loyalist stuff (I'm a republican sympathiser in that sense) and the royals (I'm very much a republican in that sense). Then there's that I've almost zero time for the vast majority of 'tradition' - it's largely boring and shite - what little I might enjoy would again be in sports, I guess. As for British history - it fascinates me, but it also tells me, quite plainly that there is little to take in pride in for a commoner such as myself - the Empire was built out of the subjugation of my sorts, and there'd no doubt have been plenty of suffering at their hands too given a swathe of the family were Irish immigrants recently as the turn of the 19/20th century, with a couple of storied IRA members around that time in the family. Now, that's no different to if I'd been born in a very many other countries - pretty much any in the western world, I should think - but it remains relevant to me given that so much of the patriotism in this country harks back to the historical significance of the Empire. That and British exceptionalism, the damn myth.

Then, more recent feelings regarding English and Britishness are certainly the opposite of patriotic... I've never felt so detached from most of the rest of the nation as the last 6 years living in Bristol and London. It's quite clear, that save for Scotland, the rest of the UK is very differently (in significance, obvs) aligned in their political leanings and social values. That means quite a lot to me. It provokes a sense of anger and injustice at it's worst, and a feeling of disconnection at best.

TLDR; No, I'm emphatically not, but I enjoy it in sports.
    Last edited by The Merse; 17-05-2020 at 02:37 AM.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    All countries have nationalist wankers. I doubt we’re any worse for it. We don’t have to let them own the flag.
    I agree. But, there is something about what we do with the flag and national identity - particularly the English. It's always about the past, and so rarely about the present. It's 1066, the Empire and the World Wars, it's the old darlings that are backbone of Britain. In Wales and Scotland, that's less prevalent - their identities are more forged in shared social values and experience, and more timeless - particularly so in Wales. I saw this the other day, and couldn't help but feel it well articulated one aspect I've long felt very uncomfortable with -

ram it up your shitpipe Giggles's Avatar
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That was a good interview. I remember listening to the podcast at the time.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No sense of patriotism at all growing up. Only in the past few years since spending some time living overseas have I become a bit more patriotic and interested in our national identity/history. I would be lying if I didn't feel a sense of pride whenever NZ gets mentioned in international media, as it's generally for nice reasons whether it be for sports, some over-achievement (our favourite phrase seems to be "punching above our weight") , or progressive/pragmatic policy. The Christchurch mass shooting is the obvious outlier, but even then I was very proud of our country's response to it.