User Tag List

Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Tokyo Olympics

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some sort of shark has definitely been jumped when the biggest story at an Olympics is some minority sport nobody deciding not to participate for questionable reasons.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    She's not a softball player?

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What did her teammates have to say about it? They must have been livid.

Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They said they were cool with it and happy with her cause they’re not psychopaths. You’d think how some of us have reacted to you over the past few days versus others would have coloured your perception on this issue, Yev.

All these absolute gammons who’ve never watched a sporting event in their life saying shit like ‘Michael Jordan would never quit because of mental issues’ is prime stuff.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I see no issue with her quitting if that's the best course of action. I do see an issue with everyone blowing kisses at her for doing so, as if it's IMPORTANT. It isn't. Loads of sports people quit all the time for all sorts of reasons.

Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree but it’s just a reaction to the knobs saying she’s a disgrace to the flag etc.

ram it up your shitpipe Giggles's Avatar
    Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did she not quit on her team mates and continue on in the solo stuff?

Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nope

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Unless there is some weird health issue they don't want to admit to, she BOTTLED IT. It is what it is. If mental health was more important there wouldn't be any elite athletes because for every Simone Biles there must be fifty kids who never made it but still had their childhoods ruined along the way, so you have to ask what new pressures have been put on her since 2016, and that will explain why the sport-media-wank complex is covering for her.

Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    She openly admitted that. she lost where she was in the air and almost destroyed her knee. So she withdrew.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's amazing how many of you just fundamentally don't understand mental health problems.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why didn't she just CRACK ON? Isn't that the solution to mental health? MAN UP WOMAN FFS.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is no need to create a new NARRATIVE out of nothing to cover for her. She didn't do the business. Fair enough. It's not like you could say she's shit and her previous achievements are damaged. Why isn't that enough?

Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewis View Post
    There is no need to create a new NARRATIVE out of nothing to cover for her. She didn't do the business. Fair enough. It's not like you could say she's shit and her previous achievements are damaged. Why isn't that enough?
    Because the world is a fucking cesspit now.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If she'd been been hit by a car and couldn't compete would you say "she just didn't do the business"?

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What, during the event? That might be a bit unfair.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Floyd View Post
    I see no issue with her quitting if that's the best course of action. I do see an issue with everyone blowing kisses at her for doing so, as if it's IMPORTANT. It isn't. Loads of sports people quit all the time for all sorts of reasons.
    That's basically it. The idea that we need to celebrate bottlers is fucked up. Having to work with students who see this shit as normal is a massive pain in the arse.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by randomlegend View Post
    If she'd been been hit by a car and couldn't compete would you say "she just didn't do the business"?

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd watch a bunch of teens parkouring over moving cars. We all would. Pencil that in for Paris.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Like when cyclists have a bad day and drop twenty minutes in a stage. People just say 'oh well, sucks'. You don't celebrate the failure to perform as some sort of massive achievement. Ilnur Zakarin is dogshit at descending and he always loses time. Should he be a hero for prioritizing his health over results?

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pepe View Post
    As someone who's had proper depression, the bad days are just as debilitating. You just don't understand.

The Artist Formerly Known as Taz
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some melt was trying to make out that gymnastics isn't like other sports in terms of things that could go wrong leading to life-altering injuries and that she pulled out over fears for her own safety. That's Biles level mental gymnastics. Imagine what would happen to boxing if they were all as brave and aware of their mental health.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As someone who's had proper depression, the bad days are just as debilitating. You just don't understand.
    So if you are depressed one day and can't go to work, should we build you an altar?

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think she's claiming to have anything 'debilitating' is she? If she is, why was she there?

Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So if you are depressed one day and can't go to work, should we build you an altar?

They did for Gary Speed.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I was depressed, the last thing I wanted was to be coddled. I wanted to be on top of my shit, not fucking nursed.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No, but I'm not someone with the pressure of being in the public eye.

I dropped out of University to sort out my mental health, and that was one of the most difficult decisions I've ever made. I'm not going to describe myself with adjectives like "courageous", but it is an extremely difficult thing to do.

Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think she's claiming to have anything 'debilitating' is she? If she is, why was she there?
    As I said before it was to keep pressure on them not letting off the rapist. She withdrew the same day he got his life ban.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shindig View Post
    When I was depressed, the last thing I wanted was to be coddled. I wanted to be on top of my shit, not fucking nursed.
    People are different. I'm not sure she's asked for the media coverage either.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Aye, that's fair. She's an athlete competing at the Olympics. This wasn't going to be quietly pushed aside.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I obviously don't know the details of her specific case, but it's not that straightforward. Even at my lowest I had days - even weeks - that weren't too bad. Then I'd have days or weeks where I cried constantly for no reason and every time I got in a car it took every bit of willpower not to drive into a tree.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by phonics View Post
    As I said before it was to keep pressure on them not letting off the rapist.
    That shit's laughable.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    People who don't know anything about mental health and haven't suffered from any mental health problems themselves having a go at a prominent athlete who has suffered from mental health problems? Okay then.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As I said before it was to keep pressure on them not letting off the rapist. She withdrew the same day he got his life ban.
    Where has this been said? Isn't that bloke doing about a thousand years?

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    'Mental health'

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Where has this been said?
    Simone and Naomi. They are now larger than life mate. Her quitting from major sporting events is what will end racism and sexism once and for all.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    'Mental health'
    Inverted commas are irrelevant in this case.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So what clinical condition we talking about here then? Has anything been disclosed?

Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    She’s going to build a fair brand off the back of it anyway. Especially for someone in a sport nobody gives a shit about 99% of the time.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Probably the reverse of Magic's nervous pissing thing.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why should she have to disclose anything?

Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So what clinical condition we talking about here then? Has anything been disclosed?
    Officially it’s known as Getting on Oprah.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Simone and Naomi. They are now larger than life mate. Her quitting from major sporting events is what will end racism and sexism once and for all.
    You are completely missing the point here and are using massive strawmen to suit your argument. No one is saying that this will end racism or sexism or stop mental health problems.

We know a lot about Simone Biles but we can't see into her mind. The vast majority with mental health problems don't show it on the outside but inside they are suffering.

We absolutely should not be questioning Simone Biles in any way. This very public statement will hopefully help a little. Hopefully it will lead to more people talking about their mental health problems. It could even save someone's life.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They said they were cool with it and happy with her cause they’re not psychopaths. You’d think how some of us have reacted to you over the past few days versus others would have coloured your perception on this issue, Yev.
    I'd question whether they actually feel like that. A Gold medal is the pinnacle of their sport and some of them may never get that chance again.

The only change to my perception on this issue is how important it is to get it sorted as quickly as possible, but then I think my mind temporarily broke because I wasn't and hadn't been giving it enough sleep, which is probably a very different scenario to what we're seeing here.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wasn't he sentenced in 2018? Or was he trying to appeal? Even still I can't imagine Biles performing or not would have any influence on that.

Either way I think she was correct to do pull out. Mental health issues can be massively damaging.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Floyd View Post
    As with fat people, we've normalised it and said it's absolutely ok, so presumably we're enjoying someone high-ish profile saying they're suffering from it. It isn't ok. Illness in any form is manifestly not ok and mental illness should be included in that.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave. View Post
    Hopefully it will lead to more people talking about their mental health problems. It could even save someone's life.
    We're talking about them and encouraging people to talk about them more than we ever have and it's not helping, is it?

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Honestly I think it's a bit of a cop out. It might be very cynical of me, but it's a little convenient how she makes a mistake on one apparatus, recording a low score by her standards, and then conveniently cites mental health as a reason to sit out the rest of the event, leaving her 3 teammates in the lurch who have to pick up the slack. Not to mention American gymnasts who missed out on the team because she's there.

I feel a little less strongly now she has said she's going to miss the individual event too, but even so, the song and dance in the media is a joke. They spent 20-30 minutes this morning on 5 live nattering about how proud they were of her, rather than focusing on live GB involvement in a number of disciplines.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yevrah View Post
    As with fat people, we've normalised it and said it's absolutely ok, so presumably we're enjoying someone high-ish profile saying they're suffering from it. It isn't ok. Illness in any form is manifestly not ok and mental illness should be included in that.
    I can't work out what you're on about here? Are you saying you think the message is "being mentally ill is fine"?

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can't work out what you're on about here? Are you saying you think the message is "being mentally ill is fine"?
    Very much so. The focus to this point has been about how we should look out for it, admit we have have it, talk about it etc. and not on how you actually deal with it when it hits.

Take this case, seems all very congratulatory on her 'coming out', but no actual substance on what to do beyond that.