Page 162 of 581 FirstFirst ... 62112152160161162163164172212262 ... LastLast
Results 8,051 to 8,100 of 29008

Thread: Coronavirus Death Thread

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Giggles View Post
    I like the snipers idea. It’s got to the stage where virus threat be damned, people need to be shown they can be put into line purely because they’ve flouted the fuck out of this so much.
    Equally, though, the only time a government would actually put snipers out would be a) if there were an existential threat to the state itself; b) if they didn't think that they would ultimately be dragged in front of the Hague for doing so. A isn't true anywhere with covid, and B is only true in places like China (and even then, who knows).

ram it up your shitpipe Giggles's Avatar
    Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well not actually snipers obviously. But people need to be shown that they can be made to do as they’re bid at times like this. The flouting has been a massive two fingers and those people need to be crushed.

Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What time is today’s show announcement?
    I'm a twit

More successful than most Magic's Avatar
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Giggles fear of the SECOND WAVE is palpable.

The regret he must be feeling about the way he's lived his life.

Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Magic View Post
    Giggles fear of the SECOND WAVE is palpable.

The regret he must be feeling about the way he's lived his life.
    Could be worse, I could have had yours. I’d take the sweet release of death rather than live one minute of your loveless, family devoid existence.

There’s no fear to be had of a second wave, it’ll just be around and we’ll need to behave accordingly rather than what the papers splash across their front pages. It won’t all just come at once even if you do write it in all caps.
    My posts above come from a feeling that people need to be put in their place rather than anything virus specific. If you’re told to do something then you should be doing it, and especially not blatantly flouting it.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    https://www.endcoronavirus.org/countries

Good time to stay alert and control the virus imo

More successful than most Magic's Avatar
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So would I... until Dec 2018.

Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Magic View Post
    So would I... until Dec 2018.
    It’ll hardly turn out well when you’re the problem.

The Artist Formerly Known as Taz
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    7pm. Gonna be a momentous occasion.

"Grandpa, where were you when Boris announced the re-opening of frosts?"

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kikó View Post
    https://www.endcoronavirus.org/countries

Good time to stay alert and control the virus imo

That's quite wishy-washy and could easily be taken as the go ahead to start doing shit. Hell, it might actually be the go ahead.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Could be worse, I could have had yours. I’d take the sweet release of death rather than live one minute of your loveless, family devoid existence.

There’s no fear to be had of a second wave, it’ll just be around and we’ll need to behave accordingly rather than what the papers splash across their front pages. It won’t all just come at once even if you do write it in all caps.
    My posts above come from a feeling that people need to be put in their place rather than anything virus specific. If you’re told to do something then you should be doing it, and especially not blatantly flouting it.
    I think a 2nd, 3rd and probably numerous further waves are pretty much nailed on. As Jimmy said, it's just not deadly enough for Johnny Public to be willing to inconvenience themselves for an undefined period of time.

I can see everything largely being allowed to go back to normal by the end of summer, with just the old, vulnerable and Yevrah being banged up in their houses.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can assure you Spikey, I'll be out as soon as is allowed.

Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spikey M View Post
    I think a 2nd, 3rd and probably numerous further waves are pretty much nailed on. As Jimmy said, it's just not deadly enough for Johnny Public to be willing to inconvenience themselves for an undefined period of time.

I can see everything largely being allowed to go back to normal by the end of summer, with just the old, vulnerable and Yevrah being banged up in their houses.
    They won’t really be ‘waves’ it’ll just hang around like the normal flu just with a higher mortality rate. Until there’s an actual vaccine anyway.

EDIT: Forgot to add “IF EVER!!!!!!11!!!1!!” to to the end of the vaccine sentence. It’s the law than you have to.

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Toggle Spoiler

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It doesn't operate like normal flu, though. It is not seasonal.

Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shindig View Post
    It doesn't operate like normal flu, though. It is not seasonal.
    Nobody even knows if you can catch it twice or had it in their area for a full year so I’d imagine that’s probably not set in stone.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If we go too far with the opening up we'll get another tens of thousands of deaths. Which doesn't necessarily mean we shouldn't open up, but at this point I can't understand how that isn't crystal clear to people.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They won’t really be ‘waves’ it’ll just hang around like the normal flu just with a higher mortality rate. Until there’s an actual vaccine anyway.

EDIT: Forgot to add “IF EVER!!!!!!11!!!1!!” to to the end of the vaccine sentence. It’s the law than you have to.
    There'll definitely be waves. This thing spreads like wildfire given the chance. As soon as people relax a bit, it'll spike again.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From the BBC:

Cases in Ghana jump by nearly 30% in a single day, as 500 workers at an industrial facility test positive.

It's mental how contagious this is.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Toggle Spoiler

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spikey M View Post
    From the BBC:

Cases in Ghana jump by nearly 30% in a single day, as 500 workers at an industrial facility test positive.

It's mental how contagious this is.
    Is it though? I thought that thinking was swaying towards it being less contagious than first feared. The situation as experienced in Europe is the product of allowing it to spread unchecked for at least 2, maybe 3 months whilst it was largely under the radar. You'd have to imagine that won't be allowed to happen again, with all the test track and trace or whatever it is (assuming that in any way happens), and a general greater awareness of the possible existence of this thing. I'm almost certain my mother in law had this in early Feb, she had all the classic symtoms, comes from one of the seed points in the UK (Brighton) and went to Tenerife for good measure during that time (poss end of Jan) - it'll be interesting to see just how many people have had it if they can ever roll out an effective antibody test.

Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The meat factories thing seems to be a huge thing here and when I was searching for some more info I see it’s a thing in other territories too. Is it just that working conditions in these tend to be shit and workers in them tend to be treated like dirt (though that would surely apply across most of the food manufacturing industry then) or is it something to do with working in artificially cold areas and then being in and out to higher ones?

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Left unchecked, the R-0 is 5.7. That seems high to me anyway.

It's still near enough 1 despite most of us staying home as much as possible.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-52605819

"Stay alert will mean stay alert, by staying home as much as possible"

Except don't, you know, feel like you have to stay at home....otherwise we would have just stuck with "stay at home" for another three weeks? Do what you want and on your heads be it if it goes wrong, I suppose.

I'm not one to join the government pile-on, but I do feel like this new direction is vague to the point of being meaningless. Obviously we'll have to wait and see what he actually says in the address. I'm not even saying we shouldn't be allowed out, I'm not an expert, I don't have a fucking clue. I just struggling to grasp when the actual direction is supposed to be at the minute.

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Who the fuck is going to change their behaviour because the three line slogan has changed, even though its introduction comes with an emphasis of staying at home?

You're either already breaking rules or you were going to break it regardless of the slogan change.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All I can glean so far is that they want the economy to open up but only unofficially, so they can't be blamed when it goes tits up and everyone dies.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's what this whole fucking thing has been. Them refusing to take responsibility and trying to shift the blame.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Don View Post
    Who the fuck is going to change their behaviour because the three line slogan has changed, even though its introduction comes with an emphasis of staying at home?

You're either already breaking rules or you were going to break it regardless of the slogan change.
    I completely disagree. If the government say 'don't do that, it's an order' most people listen. If they then go out of their way to revoke the order and replace it with a limp 'just don't be silly' request, then a large proportion of society is going to relax and start doing a whole host of silly shit.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As I've been saying for a while now, it's a shambles.

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I guess what I'm saying is if you're thick enough to only comprehend the slogan and not the actual context, you're not intelligent enough to adhere to instructions in the first place.

Looks like Scots, Welsh and Giggles' better half are telling England to fuck off, let's have some referendums to entertain us.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bearing in mind that things aren't going to all open up as normal any time soon, what else can you use as a slogan other than one aimed at maintaining positive habits during gradual re-opening (and possible re-closing)? People aren't going to read it as an invitation to do everything they want; and even if they did, they can't anyway.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To be fair to Johnson, he didn't sign up for this.

He thought this would be the happy fun-time 'GET BREXIT DONE' Premiership, he never thought he have to actually preside over a crisis and show leadership. Telling people to stay at home for their safety? Closing down businesses? Ensuring a clear message is passed down to a nervous public?

'Nah can't have that dear boy, Raab or Hancock can do that, ta-ta chaps I'm off to knob Carrie for a bit and then I might pop into one of those COBRA meetings if I feel like it but Dom attends those and really he speaks for me anyway so cheerio!'

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The governments intent is clear without being explicit. We need to get to normal as it's costing us a fortune but we need the public to give up first.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewis View Post
    Bearing in mind that things aren't going to all open up as normal any time soon, what else can you use as a slogan other than one aimed at maintaining positive habits during gradual re-opening (and possible re-closing)? People aren't going to read it as an invitation to do everything they want; and even if they did, they can't anyway.
    I must admit, while I think this slogan is stupid, Twitter's glee about how stupid it is makes me think it possibly isn't as stupid as I first thought.

If that makes any sense.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The slogan is just a diversion and should have no time paid to it at all.

Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Don View Post
    I guess what I'm saying is if you're thick enough to only comprehend the slogan and not the actual context, you're not intelligent enough to adhere to instructions in the first place.

Looks like Scots, Welsh and Giggles' better half are telling England to fuck off, let's have some referendums to entertain us.
    Something really does need to be done about Northen Ireland though. We really don’t want to be sharing an island with you so it’s either time to ship the planters back to Scotland and make us take on the mess or it’s time to close about 200 of the border crossings permanently and do it properly with no free movement.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The slogan is easy to understand.
    [173 words later]

See?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The virus is weird. It seems for most people, they dont spread it. But then one person can pass it on to a multitude of people.

If you look at this, you will see most dont pass it on:

https://infographics.channelnewsasia...-clusters.html

Another thing that backs this up is that if someone in your house gets it, the odds of household transmission at the moment is estimated to be around 15%.

Here's two report on it but I've seen a few:

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1....03.20028423v3

https://academic.oup.com/cid/advance...iaa450/5821281

Basically get me in a fucking beer garden
    Last edited by Revolution; 10-05-2020 at 01:07 PM.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kikó View Post
    The slogan is easy to understand.
    [173 words later]

See?
    It's easy, the message is;

STAY ALERT by STAYING AT HOME but you can go out for a bit longer and more often during the day but you should still BE ALERT, oh and garden centres can open as well so you can get your gardening done but you should still be STAYING ALERT if you're there and if you're sunbathing then you shouldn't but we're not going to arrest you so STAY ALERT and then GO HOME AND STAY HOME until tomorrow when you do the same again.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Floyd View Post
    I must admit, while I think this slogan is stupid, Twitter's glee about how stupid it is makes me think it possibly isn't as stupid as I first thought.

If that makes any sense.
    It seems to mainly be people highlighting their own stupidity. HOW CAN YOU BE ALERT AGAINST A VIRUS?! Really?

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Big billboards with the phrase, "DON'T BE FUCKING STUPID" would be awesome. Covers a multitude of sins. Like how they brought out the BIN THE WIPE bus shelter ads for this. You forget it's about not clogging your pipes until you put just a bit of thought into it.

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Boydy View Post
    That's what this whole fucking thing has been. Them refusing to take responsibility and trying to shift the blame.
    Exactly.

Blood on their hands.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Something really does need to be done about Northen Ireland though. We really don’t want to be sharing an island with you so it’s either time to ship the planters back to Scotland and make us take on the mess or it’s time to close about 200 of the border crossings permanently and do it properly with no free movement.
    We're coming to join you.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No Blacks, No Dags, No Northern Irish.

Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We're coming to join you.
    I see Lord Foster will be ignoring Boris' new message which won't go down all that well. I still prefer the big fence/wall though.

https://www.newsletter.co.uk/news/po...foster-2848235 (I hope the bottom line of that headline doesn't go missing or it'll cause heart attacks across NI).
    Last edited by Giggles; 10-05-2020 at 02:24 PM.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I see Lord Foster will be ignoring Boris' new message which won't go down all that well. I still prefer the big fence/wall though.
    Yeah, I'm quite surprised given how keen she and her party were to follow on everything else like Brexit but I'm glad they've diverged on this.
    https://www.newsletter.co.uk/news/po...foster-2848235 (I hope the bottom line of that headline doesn't go missing or it'll cause heart attacks across NI).

Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, I'm quite surprised given how keen she and her party were to follow on everything else like Brexit but I'm glad they've diverged on this.

She was fairly dead set on following what the mainland was doing in the beginning too rather than aligning anything with us (school closures, etc). I know that's how politics works up there but that's what makes this all the more surprising now.

Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Boris and his “power of three” slogans are either something he learned in Year 6, or recently crammed in from a free udemy class on search engine optimisation.

Seen that List Of Boris’ Mistakes thats doing the rounds? Should definitely be held accountable. Hopefully sooner rather than later.
    I'm a twit

Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here it is:

Toggle Spoiler

EDIT: Turns out it was put together by the person who did my wedding photography, rather than doing the rounds per se, so feel free to fact-check it.
    Last edited by Baz; 10-05-2020 at 03:34 PM.
    I'm a twit