User Tag List

View Poll Results: January transfers?

Voters
4. You may not vote on this poll
  • Overpriced. Avoid.

0 0%
  • No more hit and miss than at any other time.

1 25.00%
  • Here we go!

1 25.00%
  • They keep Randrew busy for a month so where's the harm?

1 25.00%
  • Turtle

1 25.00%
Page 21 of 25 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast
Results 1,001 to 1,050 of 1229

Thread: The January Football Thread

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If Jarrod Bowen could knock someone up every week, for a little while, that'd be great.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks like Super Frank is gone. Surely they must have Dyche lined up because I can't see anyone else saving them and even he is unlikely to.

The Artist Formerly Known as Taz
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This Everton side look like gallacticos compared to his Burnley side, sure they lack a serious goalscorer but they're not that much worse than Brentford/Brighton/Fulham let alone the other shite in the bottom half.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They have a decent enough squad on paper, they're just seemingly playing without any clue what they're doing. Someone with a basic grasp of tactics / a system should be able to get a tune out of them.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Big Sam or bust.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sean Dyce Steve Austin will do a job.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Big Dunc Permanent Manager.

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lampard really doesn’t like January’s anymore.

ram it up your shitpipe Giggles's Avatar
    Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Aberdeen have just been knocked out by a team that’s basically a junior club

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Darvel are MASSIVE

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Used to work with a bloke who lived in Darvel.

Makes you think, really.

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Get a load of the highlights on the BBC and the offside decision against Aberdeen. The linesman's got it straight out of the Sunday League cheating playbook

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They were on the end of one of the worst offside decisions I've ever seen to rule out an equaliser.

Ball has just been played by the player on the far right as we look. The guy who is flagged offside is the slightly stooped white-shirted player in the middle of the three nearest camera.

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That was amazing. Although the defenders did stop trying to defend by the time a cross went in so not sure it would have been an absolute guarantee of a goal.

Darvel actually were playing some decent stuff. Rarely lumped the ball up and were hardly playing backs to the wall stuff

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Was just reading about this white card initiative they have in Portugal.

Dear lord.

Probably end up being seen as sign of institutional racism.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bielsa to Everton seems a pretty high risk way of getting yourself out of danger.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The worst fit since I tried on a medium jacket in M&S.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If Bielsa is available and Conte is fannying about surely Spurs should get him in.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by niko_cee View Post
    Bielsa to Everton seems a pretty high risk way of getting yourself out of danger.
    "We'll DIG our way out!"

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't see how bringing Bielsa in mid-season would work anywhere, at least in this country. Already knackered players, little training ground time, no time to implement any of the stuff he did at Leeds and has presumably done at his other clubs.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is very cool. I've used Wyscout a lot and noticed a while back that the only coverage they have of sub-Saharan Africa is South Africa and, very oddly, a single season of the Burundian top flight.

The RB lot have clearly cottoned onto it but I reckon over the next decade we're going to see a lot more talent making it to Europe. If you're the Rwandan FA or whoever you've got to be scrambling to get your league onto European spreadsheets.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've said for a long time that once someone works out how to normalise sub-Saharan domestic football (much easier said than done as there are massive infrastructure deficiencies and existing match fixing interests which will need to be got rid of) their players will basically take over the European leagues. I haven't got a PC way to phrase this, but try this for size: black lads are the best at running, and football is mainly about running. You only need to look at English and French academies.

You'll probably start to see it first in the more Europeanised places like Senegal.

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can already see the 2050 Champions League final lineups having 10 africans and a white goalkeeper on each side.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why is it do you think that nations like Nigeria fail to convert their dominance at u17 level? Is that a separate thing?

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Floyd View Post
    I've said for a long time that once someone works out how to normalise sub-Saharan domestic football (much easier said than done as there are massive infrastructure deficiencies and existing match fixing interests which will need to be got rid of) their players will basically take over the European leagues. I haven't got a PC way to phrase this, but try this for size: black lads are the best at running, and football is mainly about running. You only need to look at English and French academies.

You'll probably start to see it first in the more Europeanised places like Senegal.
    Absolute nonsense.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by -james- View Post
    Why is it do you think that nations like Nigeria fail to convert their dominance at u17 level? Is that a separate thing?
    Because they're a complete basket case on every conceivable level and the players (almost all of whom come from abject poverty) are understandably more interested in going to get paid than in going back to play Malawi in qualifiers.

If you're talking national team football, you need to have all your players already having secure European lives (like Senegal's) before you're looking at a chance of sustained success. Talent is one thing, ability to organise a successful national team is another.
    Last edited by Jimmy Floyd; 24-01-2023 at 01:07 PM.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by randomlegend View Post
    Absolute nonsense.
    https://www.theguardian.com/football...l-offside-rule

It's me and the Guardian's cartoonist versus you going around calling my posts absolute nonsense without having had a scintilla of an original thought yourself in the last five years.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    https://www.theguardian.com/football...l-offside-rule

It's me and the Guardian's cartoonist versus you going around calling my posts absolute nonsense without having had a scintilla of an original thought yourself in the last five years.
    "Here's my original thought I got from the Guardian".

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Because they're a complete basket case on every conceivable level and the players (almost all of whom come from abject poverty) are understandably more interested in going to get paid than in going back to play Malawi in qualifiers.

If you're talking national team football, you need to have all your players already having secure European lives (like Senegal's) before you're looking at a chance of sustained success. Talent is one thing, ability to organise a successful national team is another.
    I suppose the question is why, when the talent at youth level is on Eurosport, do more not make it to Europe? I guess it's just that physicality on a team scale is so overwhelming at that age and is kind of separate from individual talent.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by -james- View Post
    I suppose the question is why, when the talent at youth level is on Eurosport, do more not make it to Europe? I guess it's just that physicality on a team scale is so overwhelming at that age and is kind of separate from individual talent.
    Random variance (as seen with all age group teams ever) and lots of other factors like knowing the right agents.

A bigger question would be about all the untapped talent that doesn't even make it into youth tournaments.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SvN View Post
    I can already see the 2050 Champions League final lineups having 10 africans and a white goalkeeper on each side.
    Two mixed-race (white features) creative/flair players.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Isn't the actual problem with this brilliant line of deduction that the proportionate advantage of physicality diminishes as you go up the pyramid, so the hyper athletic unit is much more effective at lower levels, but as you reach the higher echelons of the game actual ability are still of vital importance. Anyone can have technical ability, whereas not everyone can have west African twitch fibres, but the sort of explosive physicality that sees racial profiling as a major thing doesn't exist in football in the same way that it does in other sports. Maybe that will change, but I doubt it. I'm sure the spectre was raised by the Wenger matra of show me an athlete and I'll teach him to play football, but 25 years on that doesn't seem to have become a thing.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I remember that Mexican team that won the U-17 world cup. Seems like the best player to come out of that was fucking Hector Moreno. I guess what I am trying to say is that U-17 success and senior-level success are, at best, extremely weakly correlated.

Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Let’s be honest if you’re good enough to make it as a professional footballer you can basically stop trying at 21 and still live a fairly comfortable lifestyle for the rest of your life.
    I'm a twit

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SvN View Post
    alright farage calm down

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Big Dunc Permanent Manager.
    Rule by fear. Stay up or he slaps the nut on everyone at the end of the season. It would work I reckon.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Isn't the actual problem with this brilliant line of deduction that the proportionate advantage of physicality diminishes as you go up the pyramid, so the hyper athletic unit is much more effective at lower levels, but as you reach the higher echelons of the game actual ability are still of vital importance. Anyone can have technical ability, whereas not everyone can have west African twitch fibres, but the sort of explosive physicality that sees racial profiling as a major thing doesn't exist in football in the same way that it does in other sports. Maybe that will change, but I doubt it. I'm sure the spectre was raised by the Wenger matra of show me an athlete and I'll teach him to play football, but 25 years on that doesn't seem to have become a thing.
    The French World Cup final team vs the French population suggests otherwise.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Where this does run into dodgy territory is that the argument can be read as people saying that African or African-descended players are ONLY good at running. This of course isn't true at all. It's just that if you have a hypothetical pool of ten players with the same ball skills, the same anticipation skills, the same decision-making skills, then who is going to be the best footballer of the ten? It'll be the best athlete, and observed reality is that people of that ethnicity are (even if it's 2%, that's massive in population terms) more likely to be the best athletes.

If there's another explanation for players of West African descent being over-represented vs the population in every professional football structure in the world (to my knowledge), I'm open to hearing it.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    'The French', in the conventional sense of the term, don't like football though, so are a bit of an outlier for me. Representation is obviously going to diverge from demographics, but not in a conscious way, any more than Paul Pogba's appearance has (wrongly) given rise to a generation of critics who think he should be Patrick Vieira.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    97 English players have played 10+ games in the PL this year, 39 of them black or mixed race. So over 40% versus a population of 5% or maybe even less. Now you can say it's a self-fulfilling prophecy if indeed there is a greater bias towards these attributes at youth level - and if youth level recruitment determines who ends up playing 10 games in the PL - but that's a huge discrepancy, and the English do like football.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    "We'll DIG our way out!"
    It would explain the fixation with buckets...

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Leo Messi and Haaland of course famous for their African roots

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    97 English players have played 10+ games in the PL this year, 39 of them black or mixed race. So over 40% versus a population of 5% or maybe even less. Now you can say it's a self-fulfilling prophecy if indeed there is a greater bias towards these attributes at youth level - and if youth level recruitment determines who ends up playing 10 games in the PL - but that's a huge discrepancy, and the English do like football.
    Probably as much to do with there being 100% poverty (or near thereto) in those communities, and those communities being intrinsically more likely to be within the catchment of a 'big club' (ie London).

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I fear we may have reached peak black now. A decade ago I was a racist for bowing to the ebonies but now even the softest whitest TTH buns recognise and you have clubs like Bournemouth, Palace, Watford, etc taking it to some extreme level whereby they probably haven't seen their latest record signing kick a ball prior to splurging. It used to hold up back in the day but it's all got a bit too tactical at the top level so they'll resent their policies when the only success it leads them to is Isaac.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Let's not forget that Argentina - the reigning world champions - was an empty country before immigration started in 1945.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This discrepancy could also be explained by lack of access to other parts of the English economy. Or relatively easier access. Which is also more likely to explain racial discrepancies across multiple sports if you find racial clustering inside an individual sport.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Crystal Palace academy is wall-to-wall rejected civil service fast streamers.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That miss

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We're rotten in front of goal.