User Tag List

View Poll Results: Who will receive your vote?

Voters
44. You may not vote on this poll
  • Theresa May's Conservatives

10 22.73%
  • Jeremy Corbyn's Labour

23 52.27%
  • Tim Farron's Liberal Democrats

3 6.82%
  • Paul Nuttall's UKIP

0 0%
  • 2 people's Greens

1 2.27%
  • Nicholas Durgeon's Scottish Nationalists

1 2.27%
  • Satan's Sinn Fein

0 0%
  • Dr Ian Paisley's DUP

0 0%
  • Some other bunch of nonces

2 4.55%
  • I'm foreign, but I wish I were an Englishman

4 9.09%
Page 254 of 261 FirstFirst ... 154204244252253254255256 ... LastLast
Results 12,651 to 12,700 of 13025

Thread: UK General Election 2017 - 8 June

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Graham Jones isn't a corbynite? As if to imply Azhar Ali is? Come on, he's their guy too. They picked him. There's no corbynites getting selected for seats now.

The media doing some of their work for them too though. "The new labour leader", fucking lol, he's been in the job for four years now.

Happy to see this coming back to bite them on the arse though, fucking cunts.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Corbyn obsession is absolutely laughable at this point.

Although every time he's brought back up, I can't help but think of this. The hit pieces were incredible as toffs all around the country were shitting themselves at the prospect.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They have to make sure he (and his politics) remains completely discredited though. God forbid we have some mild wealth redistribution and properly funded public services in this country after 40 years of the rich making out like bandits.

The whole establishment needs guillotined.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Corbyn was wishful thinking on all of your part, he was fucking useless and a very bad guy. If you want the policies great but get a leader who can deliver them.

The reason Tories and their outriders are amping up Corbyn now is because he was tried and tested electoral poison, so the more they can link this Labour party to him the better. Even though he's literally suspended from it.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It staggers me that people still think Corbyn was/is a force for good. It’d be similar to people still thinking the same about Johnson.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very bad guy, yeah, good job we didn't elect the guy who cheated on his wife when she was having cancer treatment, forced one of his mistresses to have an abortion, had the police called to his girlfriend's flat by concerned neighbours after a blazing row, fabricated quotes when he worked as a journalist and conspired to have another journalist beaten up.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yevrah View Post
    It staggers me that people still think Corbyn was/is a force for good. It’d be similar to people still thinking the same about Johnson.
    There's a difference between thinking someone is a force for good, and calling out the blatant hypocrisy from the media. Like Boydy posted, Johnson has said things a lot more anti-Semitic than anyone in the Labour Party, for example.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Boydy View Post
    Very bad guy, yeah, good job we didn't elect the guy who cheated on his wife when she was having cancer treatment, forced one of his mistresses to have an abortion, had the police called to his girlfriend's flat by concerned neighbours after a blazing row, fabricated quotes when he worked as a journalist and conspired to have another journalist beaten up.
    Another bad guy, I've been saying he was a bad guy since he was London mayor. Didn't stop people voting for him though and even now having a hard on for him. Boris, yeah, loves a drink, loves a shag, bit like me innit. Jezza's just a weirdo left over from the Cold War, no one identifies with that. Policies, lovely, needed a different messenger and different political operator.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...-a7775316.html

Do you think those lovely policies got a fair hearing in the media? Particularly after 2017, in the run-up to 2019? Or did we hear nonsense about "broadband communism" and "would you nationalise sausages?" and have mocked-up images of Corbyn making him look like some Soviet-era figure on Newsnight?

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    2017 saw Corbyn win a load of votes (though not enough for victory) with those policies, was there some magical gun to the electorate's head in 2019 that stopped them from increasing his support again with the same policies? No, they just thought he was a useless twat and didn't think the same about Boris.

Every losing politician whines that the media didn't treat them fairly, it's exactly what half the Tory party are doing now and trying to kneecap BBC and Channel 4 budgets as a result. If you're doing that you're just shit at politics.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not sure I realise the significance of that picture and article Boyd. I'd take an electoral landslide over 10,000 people turning up in Gateshead and a 'winning' of the argument any day of the week.

Alastair Campbell, while an absolute lunatic, had Corbyn right when painting him as a lazy politician with a very poor grasp on what it took to win, let alone win against the incumbent while in opposition.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lofty View Post
    You can't have dual nationality and pass security for that stuff can you? My mate is dual British Italian and was told by BAE after a successful interview that he had to renounce his Italian citizenship. He declined.
    There doesn't seem to be any consistency in it (surprisingly). My job can only be done by a British citizen, and somebody in my office doing a different role took twice as long to be cleared because their mother is Irish; but then we have MPs with all sorts of foreign nationalities, and we have Commonwealth nationals all around the Armed Forces. I doubt there is any single policy so everyone just makes it up.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Floyd View Post
    Another bad guy, I've been saying he was a bad guy since he was London mayor. Didn't stop people voting for him though
    Didn't you vote for him?

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not sure I realise the significance of that picture and article Boyd. I'd take an electoral landslide over 10,000 people turning up in Gateshead and a 'winning' of the argument any day of the week.

Alastair Campbell, while an absolute lunatic, had Corbyn right when painting him as a lazy politician with a very poor grasp on what it took to win, let alone win against the incumbent while in opposition.
    The picture was in response to Jim saying he was a "weirdo left over from the Cold war" who "no one identifies with".

Poor grasp on what it took to win is a fair charge though - he should have ruthlessly purged Campbell and his Labour right cronies from the party (who actively sabotaged him - they've admitted this) when he had the chance and the left was in control. Same as they've been doing since 2020.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by randomlegend View Post
    Didn't you vote for him?
    I voted for Dominic Raab, which is probably even worse. That's voting though, 'rainbows and kittens' is rarely an option on the ballot paper.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The picture was in response to Jim saying he was a "weirdo left over from the Cold war" who "no one identifies with".
    Getting those people behind you is a good way of winning an election for student union committee positions, PM requires a much broader church. Also requires you to win the votes of people who hate your policies and/or think you are a twat.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Poor grasp on what it took to win is a fair charge though - he should have ruthlessly purged Campbell and his Labour right cronies from the party (who actively sabotaged him - they've admitted this) when he had the chance and the left was in control. Same as they've been doing since 2020.
    And on the flipside they were actively sabotaging themselves by disowning New Labour when they really should have just left it alone and focused on the here and now.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I voted for Dominic Raab, which is probably even worse. That's voting though, 'rainbows and kittens' is rarely an option on the ballot paper.
    I meant in the general election.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wor Jezza nearly won in 2017 because they pretended to support the Brexit (helped by Theresa May being awful), and then lost in 2019 because everybody realised that they didn't.

I'm not sure that you can project much more onto it than that seeing as 1) he still got ten million votes in 2019; and 2) the government currently spends more on health than the 2019 Labour manifesto was projecting to by this point.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The best/only demographic predictor of 2019 election results was home ownership. If Labour really want to rule for a while they should bulldoze Milton Keynes and build a national park where it used to be.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I meant in the general election.
    So did Jim.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewis View Post
    Wor Jezza nearly won in 2017 because they pretended to support the Brexit (helped by Theresa May being awful), and then lost in 2019 because everybody realised that they didn't.

I'm not sure that you can project much more onto it than that seeing as 1) he still got ten million votes in 2019; and 2) the government currently spends more on health than the 2019 Labour manifesto was projecting to by this point.
    It was Starmer and the right of the party that came out with unofficial second referendum shite in 2019. Funny how that all disappeared once he took over the party.

And all the fbpe remain ultras claimed Corbyn was pro-Brexit and secretly voted Brexit etc.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And all the fbpe remain ultras claimed Corbyn was pro-Brexit and secretly voted Brexit etc.
    It's no secret that Corbyn was anti-EU. In hindsight he'd have been a working class hero if he stuck to those guns and didn't kneecap himself over Salisbury.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben View Post
    It's no secret that Corbyn was anti-EU. In hindsight he'd have been a working class hero if he stuck to those guns and didn't kneecap himself over Salisbury.
    No, I know, but all those lot (including people within the party and others with substantial media influence) used it as a stick to beat him with as if anyone who might be forming the next government could possibly just ignore the referendum result. Or hold another one or whatever.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Starmer saying Labour should back a second referendum in early 2019: https://www.politicshome.com/news/ar...-eu-referendum

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Corbyn's moment was when he should have come out as pro-Brexit, as that was his actual view, before the referendum. You'd quite possibly be living in a people's republic right now if he'd had the courage of his convictions on that front. But, as with every political decision, he fucked it.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Starmer loves Europe. Should he get in with a big enough majority I'd expect him to start making overtures to his old pals in Brussels about rejoining the single market.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It doesn't even need Starmer to be honest. Financial Times and the like have ran several articles in recent months about how we're stealthily cosying up again.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It was Starmer and the right of the party that came out with unofficial second referendum shite in 2019. Funny how that all disappeared once he took over the party.

I liked that Starmer has subsequently come out and said that he wasn't trying to get Corbyn into Downing Street, because he has integrity and Corbyn was divisive. He was merely using him to try and undivisively reverse a referendum result.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Starmer loves Europe. Should he get in with a big enough majority I'd expect him to start making overtures to his old pals in Brussels about rejoining the single market.
    This is probably quite a good election attack point for the Tories.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Probably only with real Brexit true believers, I'm not sure the population at large want to hear about the EU ever again.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So did Jim.
    Oh yeah, he does that thing where he pretends the Prime Minister is irrelevant and he's only voting for his local candidate.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They need to galvanise as much of the small c seethe as possible, even if it is realistically a lost cause.

Sort of has the feeling of it not being the landslide it really ought to be though.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh yeah, he does that thing where he pretends the Prime Minister is irrelevant and he's only voting for his local candidate.
    Read the ballot paper to know exactly what you're voting for. Something which the headbangers should have remembered for all those years moaning about 'this isn't the Brexit we voted for'.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Read the ballot paper to know exactly what you're voting for.
    Sure mate if it makes you feel better.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Entered recession. Lol.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Unemployment at an all-time low, but the economy completely stagnant. The number of absolutely worthless jobs we have (e.g. deliveroo riders) must be at an all-time high. No innovation, no development, no investment.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A nation that collects benefits, disabilities and victim statuses. It's a race to the bottom across the west.
    Last edited by Spikey M; 15-02-2024 at 08:58 AM.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Tories and the Bank of England really do deserve a special medal to achieve the triple whammy of high inflation, higher interest rates and no growth is something really something.
    Last edited by Luke Emia; 15-02-2024 at 08:52 AM.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can't wait to see how this is the next Labour Government's fault, after Hunt took all the credit for the falling inflation before Christmas.

The Artist Formerly Known as Taz
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not sure the investment in the AI revolution will be done boldly enough to bring about the good times quickly enough for Labour to be able to take credit, what's more likely is a period of even lower lows for which they will be blamed.

On the plus side the West's response to the Ukraine war has been good.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Bank are going around telling companies to accept lower margins, growth to them is probably something they feel at night when they wake up and think about suppressing wages.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thing I can't get my head around is that the GDP per head figure for the UK is £8250. That seems incredibly low, even accounting for half of the employed population being in the public sector and therefore not contributing, depending on how you calculate it. Every lawyer at every major law firm in the UK must bill that on a weekly, if not daily basis. Is that broadly in line with international averages? Seems very low, although worldometer has the UK at $54,603* in 27th place just behind France, which seems more sensible. Where has the BBC got that first number from?

*This number may actually be $45k, but then on that basis France is $43k.
    Last edited by niko_cee; 15-02-2024 at 10:24 AM.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    https://www.worldcoffeeportal.com/La...0Living%20Wage.

Now this is the better stuff. Fight the good fight, Costa Coffee. Maybe they could offer central banker tears as an non-vegan alternative to soya milk.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-68285833

It's our fault we went into recession folks. The gaslighting is ridiculous.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    £12 an hour is still absolute scam money, mind. Minimum wage should be about £15.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben View Post
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-68285833

It's our fault we went into recession folks. The gaslighting is ridiculous.
    It's insane, isn't it? British gas profits up from about 70 million to 700 million in a year announced today. In the meantime everyone's mortgages or rent have gone up because of interest rate rises that were supposed to bring inflation down. What have we got left to spend?

This pretty much sums it up:

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What is retail as a percentage of the economy? I'm not convinced that me opting for the own brand tortilla chips rather than Doritos has caused a recession.

EDIT: Google suggests 5%, lol. Absolute clowns out there in the media.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    https://www.worldcoffeeportal.com/La...0Living%20Wage.

Now this is the better stuff. Fight the good fight, Costa Coffee. Maybe they could offer central banker tears as an non-vegan alternative to soya milk.
    In alternative Costa Coffee in the zeitgeist news:

https://www.theargus.co.uk/news/2411...-costa-closes/