Page 316 of 342 FirstFirst ... 216266306314315316317318326 ... LastLast
Results 15,751 to 15,800 of 17058

Thread: News of the day

Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yevrah View Post
    Is it sensible to continue to let people into England from a religious group that's extremely intolerant and believes that homosexuality should be illegal? Hell, at last count over 50% of British Muslims thought homosexuality should be illegal.

Genuine question.
    From my experience working in bars here I'd say that'd be a pretty popular opinion among the non Muslims too.

Also fucking lol when I tried to find polling on this and it's literally 1 poll taken in 2016 of 1000 muslims.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by phonics View Post
    From my experience working in bars here I'd say that'd be a pretty popular opinion among the non Muslims too.

Also fucking lol when I tried to find polling on this and it's literally 1 poll taken in 2016 of 1000 muslims.
    Knew you wouldn't answer it.

I mean, that's how polls work, right? Interesting that no one has thought to ask the question again since mind.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is it sensible to continue to let people into England from a religious group that's extremely intolerant and believes that homosexuality should be illegal? Hell, at last count over 50% of British Muslims thought homosexuality should be illegal.

Genuine question.
    We let christians in.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    'How am I meant to know what Muslims are more likely to think without polling half a million of them every month?'

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Disco View Post
    We let christians in.
    We did, but the place has moved on since then and we're pretty much a secular society now. I should add, I'm not sure what the answer to the question I posed Phonics is, but I find it interesting we're not talking about it - LGBQT+ all over the shop and as far as I've seen not a single move to persuade the section of society that'll be least in favour of it to get on board.
    '

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All of the left-wing Jews crying about suddenly not feeling safe in London is a similar story. I suppose the tragedy is that it's all just so unexpected. If the BBC and NHS access can't persuade people to forget thousand year old ethnic hatreds then you have to wonder what can.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My father-in-law always counters with 'do you think they'd let you build churches over there?' Though I have no figures to either confirm or deny his argument, not that he'd pay facts any mind as he blanes global warming on walruses farting after watching David Attenborough.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just looking at some FACHTS and the UK Muslim population is now 6.5% (I thought it was 5%), up 50% to 3.9m in the 10 years between the 2011 and 2021 census counts. A 2017 projection said it'll be 13m by 2050, which will be about 18%.

It's possible I could see different and mis-numbered, but similarly loud groups, call for protection of LGBQT+ rights and then the outlawing of everything to do with it in my lifetime. What a time to be alive.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lofty View Post
    My father-in-law always counters with 'do you think they'd let you build churches over there?' Though I have no figures to either confirm or deny his argument, not that he'd pay facts any mind as he blanes global warming on walruses farting after watching David Attenborough.
    You don't need to, they're already there.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We did, but the place has moved on since then and we're pretty much a secular society now. I should add, I'm not sure what the answer to the question I posed Phonics is, but I find it interesting we're not talking about it - LGBQT+ all over the shop and as far as I've seen not a single move to persuade the section of society that'll be least in favour of it to get on board.
    '
    We did? We never stopped. Polish and other Euro-Catholics not to mention the Scotch and Irish ones that noone seems to be complaining about in regards to this. Funny how it's only the brown nutcases attracting all the attention.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If we were truly secular, hymns wouldn't be sung at funerals and weddings.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Disco View Post
    We did? We never stopped. Polish and other Euro-Catholics not to mention the Scotch and Irish ones that noone seems to be complaining about in regards to this. Funny how it's only the brown nutcases attracting all the attention.
    I can't speak for anyone else, but personally I'd veer towards all forms of fundamentalist religions being a thing of the past in the UK. By and large we've moved on from that sort of nonsense - the Church of England seem to have got the memo, for example.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shindig View Post
    If we were truly secular, hymns wouldn't be sung at funerals and weddings.
    I haven't been to a wedding in a church for years, funerals I'll grant you, but as you'd expect they generally involve old people who grew up taking religion far more seriously than the vast majority do today. We've moved on and worship capitalism and influencers now.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Gran had it right and moved with the times. Church every Sunday while she had her health, but she'd long since given up trying to spread the word, let alone convert anyone and I'm pretty sure if we'd done a TTH meet on the farm she wouldn't have questioned why Jim was there rather than in prison.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Before Christianity we were a nation of Pegans complaining about the Marauding Roman slags. Then the vikings. The Norman's. The Saxons... (Fast forward)... the Irish. The Windrush. The Kosovans. The Polish. The Romanians. And today its the Muslims.

This is the history of our island. Nothing new is happening here, aside from the levels of violence being drastically reduced around their arrival.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I suppose the problem with a philosophy of "if a similar thing has never been a problem before, it never will be in the future" is that at some point in time it might not always hold true. Was Lewis banging on about Poles and Romanians terkin' aw jaabs? I can't recall.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can't speak for anyone else, but personally I'd veer towards all forms of fundamentalist religions being a thing of the past in the UK. By and large we've moved on from that sort of nonsense - the Church of England seem to have got the memo, for example.
    Laughs in Northern Irish.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Despite the awfully compelling evidence of Yevs gran not stringing up poofs and the churches he doesn't go to the older generation are still very bigoted in general and they still pass plenty of that onto their children. And the fact that the CofE has mildly reformed it's poisonous views purely out of self preservation means bugger all for the attitudes of it's congregation.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is very possible that I live in a sheltered (from all of the bigotry) South East bubble. Having just Googled it, I do. Only 54% of the people here are white British and 30% are non white, which was about what my gut said.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I suppose the problem with a philosophy of "if a similar thing has never been a problem before, it never will be in the future" is that at some point in time it might not always hold true. Was Lewis banging on about Poles and Romanians terkin' aw jaabs? I can't recall.
    Yes, but seeing as my opposition to this stuff is more cultural than economic, Poles (and Romanians to a lesser extent) are a better bet than third worlders. As for the Romans, the Saxons, the Vikings and the Normans - I don't think horrendous invasions and the subsequent displacement and mass murder of the existing populations are a particularly convincing argument for open borders.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewis View Post
    Yes, but seeing as my opposition to this stuff is more cultural than economic, Poles (and Romanians to a lesser extent) are a better bet than third worlders. As for the Romans, the Saxons, the Vikings and the Normans - I don't think horrendous invasions and the subsequent displacement and mass murder of the existing populations are a particularly convincing argument for open borders.
    I'm not trying to make an argument for open borders. I am pointing out that people move. Cultures collide. Cultures merge, and life continues. As has been, will be.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, often with lots of violence along the way. Wouldn't it be a good idea to try and avoid that where possible?

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewis View Post
    Yes, often with lots of violence along the way. Wouldn't it be a good idea to try and avoid that where possible?
    It would, and we have. Unless you reckon the immigration of the last 60 years has mirrored the (actual) invasions of the Vikings / Saxons, etc. Which it clearly hasn't.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Their numbers aren't at critical mass yet, but they will be on current projections within our lifetimes, and then conflict is inevitable. In the meantime, we just have all of the other undesirable social effects.

Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Knew you wouldn't answer it.
    My answer that I thought you'd be able to imply is that I don't see why holding an opinion the people already in the country is a disqualifying reason. I don't like it but even if I thought it did I'm not sure a tickbox saying 'place an X if you think homsexuality is a sin' would resolve the issue.

Working in HIV, I'd say Christian Missionaries that we sent have done more to spread homophobia and violence against gay people than Muslims coming here.

Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Weird that Lewis thinks that we have more in common and face less threat of civil violence from people in the Eastern Bloc, a region famous for it's lack of ethnic division and seperatism, but it's a certainty from other ethnic groups within his life time. Wonder why, probably something totally normal and logical.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Letting people in is fine if you have a coherent monoculture for them to integrate into. The problem is that we don't and that there are forces (such as the dickhead lawyers in the original article) working to destroy what's left of it. Then there's also the issue that Muslims culturally don't ever compromise on anything, which needs standing up to but is instead pandered to (unlike Christians doing the same). You can't pretend that shutting borders is a realistic policy in the current age.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    People gladly stick to their own little enclaves. You can't really change that.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spikey M View Post
    Marks and Spencers once put Guacamole in their BLT's so they could flog them as LGBT's, and that was just a war crime.

Paint the Zebra Crossings whatever colour you like, but do not taint the king of all sandwiches with avocado. I can tolerate brown bread and mustard mayo, but the line has to be drawn somewhere and it turns out it's avocado.
    Isn't that a BLAT? Which is a quality sandwich.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by niko_cee View Post
    Isn't that a BLAT? Which is a quality sandwich.
    I have no idea what it's called outside of Pride month, but what I do know is this:

1) Marks and Spencers REPLACED the BLT with the LGBT for a WHOLE MONTH, and that is unacceptable.

2) Avocado is disgusting.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, I'm probably with you on processed guacamole having no place in there. Would just be a horrid vinegary mess.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Floyd View Post
    Letting people in is fine if you have a coherent monoculture for them to integrate into.
    Really? Isn't this the French way? For all its apparent failings in the eyes of some parts of society I've always thought the multicultural approach to be far better, and it's sad to see people stepping away from this. As far as I can see the "you must become French" approach leads to far greater segregation and division. Isn't there a danger in ascribing all parts of a cultural group with one set of values, when in reality, are all Muslims hook wielding maniacs who want to overthrow western society, for example?

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, you're probably right. However our version of multiculturalism seems to involve crushing some sets of values (christian, small c, values) in deference to others.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And ruining sandwiches.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That sandwich.

Makes about as much sense as the acronym.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd eat it.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They have missed the + though, so maybe they needed to add something to represent that.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bacon isn't exactly inclusive either.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I dunno, there are some minorities who are very happy to gobble a bit of pork on occasion.

The Artist Formerly Known as Taz
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They should have known interfering with their hideous gammon food was the red line.

Thank fuck the kids are all right and these archaic beliefs will be phased out.

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd buy that sandwich if I saw it, sounds delicious.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Don View Post
    They should have known interfering with their hideous gammon food was the red line.

Thank fuck the kids are all right and these archaic beliefs will be phased out.
    They'll come for your Falafel wraps one day. Then we'll see who's laughing.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He'll just buy some cow anus stuffed into a camel's bladder.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Really proving them wrong...

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It really can't be overstated how great it is that he looks exactly like the emoji.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Imagine the absolute shit the parents of that kid are subjecting him to on a daily basis.
    Last edited by Yevrah; 29-11-2023 at 03:49 PM.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "Teddy..."

If you're getting shit from kids there's your reason not being a speccy little nerd.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-67566602

Footballer Cristiano Ronaldo is facing a class action lawsuit in the US over his promotion of Binance, the largest cryptocurrency exchange in the world.

The plaintiffs claim his endorsement led them to make loss-making investments.

They are seeking damages of "a sum exceeding" $1bn (£790m).

The cheapest NFT from the collection was priced at $77 when it went on sale in November 2022 - but one year later, it was priced at about $1.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't have a lot of sympathy, anyone who thought nfts were anything other than a complete racket right from the start deserves to have their money taken.