User Tag List

Page 224 of 257 FirstFirst ... 124174214222223224225226234 ... LastLast
Results 11,151 to 11,200 of 12828

Thread: The Cricket Thread

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Duckett has 100 in the session. This could be done by tonight if they want it.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Duckett has left the ball just 8 times since his recall hahaha

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jessop survives yet again. That and Bannerman are the two maddest records in all of sport.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    20 years it took India to win a test, they were going on about it yesterday in terms of where Ireland are 6 years in. 26 for NZ I think was the record, although I guess there was less shite to play back then.

Hadn't realised this was a 4 day test.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bangladesh were as pony as this for a long time, and had much greater resources and playing opportunities than Ireland.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by niko_cee View Post
    20 years it took India to win a test, they were going on about it yesterday in terms of where Ireland are 6 years in. 26 for NZ I think was the record, although I guess there was less shite to play back then.

Hadn't realised this was a 4 day test.
    But 1 (and only) WTC now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    People don't understand how well New Zealand do to win anything in cricket. It's the distant second (at best) sport in a tiny country. Jeremy Coney's tales of his tours in the 80s are mad.

The most underachieving country is India by a mile, then Bangladesh, then probably England.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Kind of mad how disparate tiny nations banded together under one flag dominated the game for 20 years as well.

How many world class cricketers has say Antigua produced compared to Bangladesh?

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Floyd View Post
    People don't understand how well New Zealand do to win anything in cricket. It's the distant second (at best) sport in a tiny country. Jeremy Coney's tales of his tours in the 80s are mad.
    That's what really made the 2019 final so hard to take. It really did feel like our one chance, with our golden generation. I'm not sure I'll live to see us come that close again.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Second disciplinary of the season today, one captain screamed 'You cunt!' in the other captain's face, while comfortably winning a third tier match. What a sport, what people.

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm playing today at 1pm, hopefully I'll be able to experience a win. 4 losses from 4 so far.

Last week was particularly irritating though. I opened the bowling and started well, first 5 overs going for 15. We had them 90-odd for 3 in the 26th over (40 over game) and it was pretty evenly balanced. Out strolls a lad who batters us all over the park, reaching his 100 off the last ball of the innings. He'd made 95 not out for their firsts the week before and here he is, 7 divisions lower, turning out for their fourths. Took my last 3 overs for 40 too.

Ended up losing by about 80 runs, not terrible all things considered, but I think it would have been a really tight contest if he wasn't involved.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Delighted to see big Zak saw us over the line with a gutsy innings yesterday.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He just believed in his ability to get the job done.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Leach missing the ashes provides an interesting situation. Are they going to back Root to hold up and end? Probably end up picking Livingstone.

BBC story mentions Moeen.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rehan was the second spinner in Pakistan and they surely wouldn’t dare throw him in to a home summer?

Suspect they’ll pick four seamers for the first two. Then send for Mo

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also, without wanting to veer into overly tempestuous waters, the idea of calling it "the men's ashes" can fully do one.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Liam Dawson till I die. You can't go in without a spinner. We'd bowl about 45 overs a day.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Somerset six out of six in the T20 .

Man(c) of the People igor_balis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lovely knock from Crawley, can't wait for them to tie themselves in knots trying to pick the team when Stokes comes back and end up shoving him up to open and ruining him / ruining everyone.
    lol

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    What I've loved about this Crawley innings is that he's just used his brain. Quick runs were there for him early so he took them. When they dried up a bit he was patient and didn't start waving his bat at everything.
    Blimey, what different times those were. The first and last time he used his brain presumably.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd love to know what prompted Igor to go back and read our takes on what I'm guessing was the Pakistan series during covid. Even if my take in this instance was white-hot.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Or just head straight back to page 1 for this all-timer.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Absolutely nailed it on Anderson didn't I. That said, the whingeing about the ball being out of shape is now such a part of England cricket that it's spread to the club game. Met every single time with 'It's round and it's red, fuck off'.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can't see, hear or think about Bell without thinking about that second post.

Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Absolutely nailed it on Anderson didn't I. That said, the whingeing about the ball being out of shape is now such a part of England cricket that it's spread to the club game. Met every single time with 'It's round and it's red, fuck off'.
    Instantly thought of that Viv response “Greg, you know what it looks like. Now go and find it."

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can't imagine the chutzpah/delusion required for a random county bowler to have a pop at Viv Richards.

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd love to know what prompted Igor to go back and read our takes on what I'm guessing was the Pakistan series during covid. Even if my take in this instance was white-hot.
    I was trying to remember the name of the rando county player I saw get onto my Waterloo-Kingston at New Malden by searching this thread (reader, it was Laurie Evans, as suggested by @igor_balis and confirmed by @JimmyFloyd), and ended up accidentally getting sucked into reading the thread. I've gone from about 2019 to 2021 so far. Look, I'm unemployed for the first time since 2015, what else would I be doing?

My mate's missus was half-jokingly suggesting I was on the ASD spectrum on Saturday night, and when I was like "what the fuck, I have amazing social skills", she said something along the lines of "yes, your social skills are fine, I was thinking more of the weird anoraky things you do", and yeah fair enough.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mo.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Probably the biggest vibes-based selection ever. He averages 65 with the ball against Australia, hasn't bowled with a red ball for two years and has been in poor form of late. But this is how Bazball rolls and who am I to question it.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe less so with this one just up the page?
    Sam Curran though, my fucking lord, we're talking a once in 25 years player here boys. Strap in. He will end the Test career of Ben Stokes within 3 years.
    There's no might, this is the actual messiah. Totally different league to say Flintoff.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was being sarcastic with Anderson, I gave him one more series or something, nine years ago.

Curran did win us a World Cup tbf. Although so did Stokes. Twice.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not sure I’ve seen the Oval as green as this beyond April.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is the world test championship always going to be played in England or will India demand it be moved if they lose again?

Guess, given the time of year, we're the only horse in town really.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I also notice this is day 1 of 6 - is that a reserve day?

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, only to be used if they lose time due to weather.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep. Had to use it last time IIRC in the India v New Zealand game.

England is the best place for any world cricket tournament or final, with Australia second. We have all the diasporas and varied decks and weathers. World Cup in India in three months and they haven't even confirmed the schedule yet ffs. Big money, big interest in cricket, embarrassingly bad at hosting things.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why the fuck have they left Trashwin out? Absolutely mental, especially at the Oval.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Picked a team for the first session. Clowns.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another one in favour of slitting the throats of all 'analysts' in pro sport.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Doesn't really sound like it's going too well for Indian Cricket Team.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Willing to predict Australia will absolutely crush them in the rest of this. Aus bowlers in a totally different class to India's who, without Bumrah and Ashwin, are a bunch of fat clubbie fucks.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thakur is the type of guy who’d clean up in County Div 2 but he’s complete fodder at this level. Chris Rushworth.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Meant to post in here, I heard a quality rumour on the cricketing grapevine that Bairstow's 'slipped on the golf course' broken leg story was a cover, and in fact he broke it being two-footed by Ben Stokes in a football game. Sounded like hogwash to me but it was a good source.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I could believe that. I was trying to fathom, unsuccessfully, how you could break your leg that bad from a slip on the tee box.

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Managed to experience my first win on Sunday, and contributed a fair bit to seal the deal too.

We'd collapsed to 81/8 before me and our keeper put on an unbeaten 69 in the final 11 overs (against some helpful bowling). Ended up 21 not out and we had 150 on the board to defend. They weren't amazing with the bat but their top order were chipping away at the target. We had a young leggie who bowled through and picked up 4 wickets and I bowled in tandem to end up with 6-2-11-2, and we won by 25 runs.

This weekend I'm being bumped up to the seconds; the firsts are missing 9 players so we're all shuffling about to fulfil our fixtures.
    Last edited by thommo; 08-06-2023 at 12:17 PM.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Those long late partnerships are amazing to be part of. You come in and the opposition are up, then their joy just flattens slightly, then there's the first call of 'Come on lads, focus', and you know you've flipped it. Then it turns into frustration, anger and finally resignation. Glorious.

1s missing 9 players sounds like a wedding, cricketers who get married in the summer should be socially shunned.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Although you have a point. We were walking the league a couple of years ago, then I got married mid-July and it absolutely torpedoed us. Finished third (two go up).

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Our 1s are going really well at the moment (in promotion places to Prem which is uncharted territory) but the captain's missus is due in 2 weeks and the vice captain is getting married 2 weeks after that. How to end a good season.

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thommo View Post
    Managed to experience my first win on Sunday, and contributed a fair bit to seal the deal too.

We'd collapsed to 81/8 before me and our keeper put on an unbeaten 69 in the final 11 overs (against some helpful bowling). Ended up 21 not out and we had 150 on the board to defend. They weren't amazing with the bat but their top order were chipping away at the target. We had a young leggie who bowled through and picked up 4 wickets and I bowled in tandem to end up with
    6-2-11-2, and we won by 25 runs.

This weekend I'm being bumped up to the seconds; the firsts are missing 9 players so we're all shuffling about to fulfil our fixtures.
    awesome, what part of the world are you playing in?

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by igor_balis View Post
    awesome, what part of the world are you playing in?
    I'm in SW Wales so we're part of the South Wales Cricket Association. Our thirds are newly-formed so have come in at the bottom level. The firsts and seconds are part of the South Wales Premier Cricket League, so it'll be a bit of a step up this weekend I'm sure.