• All those shit teams

6 28.57%
  • England

5 23.81%
  • VAR

5 23.81%
  • Taz's predictions

1 4.76%
  • Nothing. International tournaments are the best.

1 4.76%
Page 4 of 37 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: June: The Euro 2020-ish Group Stages

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I doubt anybody's booing it for any reason other than the obvious, you'd just ignore it otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Floyd View Post
    neither has any interest whatsoever in engaging with the other's point of view
    This goes for about 95% of discourse on any issue currently. And 95% might be a bit generous on my part.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just watched the England match there. (I’m in training all morning, so may as well stick something on in the background)

England looked good at times going forward. Couple of nice interchanges, mostly featuring Grealish.

It was ridiculously easy for an average Romania to slice England open. They definitely should have grabbed a goal.

DCL did well and probably should have scored either his free shot in the second half or his header.

Henderson taking a penalty is just awful management / captaincy. Firstly, everyone should be clear who is the onfield taker. Secondly, Henderson is quite clearly bad at penalties, so shouldn’t ever be an option.

Good: Grealish (going to be England’s star of the tournament if he starts), Sancho, DCL, and Johnstone (looked very solid apart form flapping at one at the end).

Bad: Mings, Rashford (just doesn’t know what to do with the ball at his feet), none of the subs really did much.

That guy Chiriches is an animal and should have been sent off.

Mentioned
    199 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Every time I see Mings I chuckle a bit, remembering that he’s an England international. Dreadful. Nat Phillips is genuinely better.
    I'm a twit

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ben White has made the cut. Fully deserved after his showing last night.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Guardian has made an amazing page profiling every Euros player (all 600+ of them), there is some fascinating stuff on there if you have some minutes/hours to while away: https://www.theguardian.com/football...P=share_btn_tw

There are some quality nuggets floating around. Such as this:

Pickford’s father, Lee, changed his name from the original Pigford to Pickford because he was tired of being called “Piggy”. His grandfather, Barrie, is still a Pigford – though Jordan calls him “Knackers”.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On another note, this kneeling/booing thing I find really interesting. It's a real front line in the culture war - one group think they are making a meaningful gesture against racism, one group think they are unfairly being called racist/being lectured to by rich people and are expressing their feeling of injustice about that. Both groups are probably wrong, and neither has any interest whatsoever in engaging with the other's point of view. There is no way out and it looks set to dominate the tournament as far as the England narrative is concerned.
    Something will have to give at some point, which is liable to mean some sort of petulant official response.

'I love this game!'

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The thing with BLM/kneeling is that the opposition to it is a lot more than 'a few fruitcakes' as you would have seen in the 2000s, it's a mainstream view that it's shite, albeit not a media-acceptable view.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Guardian has made an amazing page profiling every Euros player (all 600+ of them), there is some fascinating stuff on there if you have some minutes/hours to while away: https://www.theguardian.com/football...P=share_btn_tw
    Lots to like about that Czech side. Denmark to also do bits.

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Manc View Post
    Lots to like about that Czech side. Denmark to also do bits.
    Yeah, I have Denmark getting to the semis. They’re solid all over, which is all the really matters in international football.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Kasper Dolberg's watch was a fascinating tale I picked up from that page.

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On another note, this kneeling/booing thing I find really interesting. It's a real front line in the culture war - one group think they are making a meaningful gesture against racism, one group think they are unfairly being called racist/being lectured to by rich people and are expressing their feeling of injustice about that.
    This is such a generous interpretation of the opposition to kneeling.

Let's have a look at the intersection of clubs where the kneeling has been booed and said clubs historic alignments with racist and right wing elements. Oh it's a direct circle.

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The highlights of that Mexico/USA game yesterday were incredible

The Artist Formerly Known as Taz
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bahrain 0-3 Iran

Job half done Manager is still clueless but we have 2 of the top 50 strikers in the world and their class doesn't half tell.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by phonics View Post
    This is such a generous interpretation of the opposition to kneeling.

Let's have a look at the intersection of clubs where the kneeling has been booed and said clubs historic alignments with racist and right wing elements. Oh it's a direct circle.
    I think if you live on twitter or in north London, it's hard to appreciate the extent to which BLM and its signifiers are hated. It's the most effective trigger for what you might call 'gammons' that there has ever been. For every person who actually verbally boos it in a ground, there are fifty thinking they don't like the knee but aren't bothered enough to actually boo.

And as the last few elections should tell you, right wing views are not a minority. These are people who genuinely don't believe they are racist (which is the only reality that matters to them), so having rich people telling them not to be racist every time they go to the football just stirs it up more and more. Eventually there will have to be a reckoning where one side either gives up, or goes on strike over it.
    Last edited by Jimmy Floyd; 07-06-2021 at 06:51 PM.

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ah well as long as they don’t think they’re racists. It’s okay. They probably don’t think they’re homophobic either but Justin Fashanu didn’t hang himself cause he was weak.

These people are scum and should be treated as such but the people who think they’re better than said scum rely on those people to vote for them so they make up stories about how they’re actually just terrified of marxism. Pathetic.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's what happens when civic society falls apart, and reinforcing the division from the top only makes it worse. Next stop, smash up the BBC. Why? God knows, but millions (not a fringe few) are desperate for it.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm with phonics on this one. If it's not about race, those annoyed with the protests should probably express it better than booing. Are you angry at the black fellas, the idea that they get special treatment over other minorities, are you just miffed at a slight delay to kick-off? Tell us, Middlesbrough.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Justin Fashanu should be CANCELLED for being a nonce.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The problem is that it was originally very much aligned with Black Lives Matter, but then people took a look at that lot and it all fell apart because they are mentalists [who had a go at Israel]. That would have been the ideal time to stop doing it, but there would have been too much egg on the collective boat, with all the banners already paid for, so they had to try and claim that ooo actually we just do it as a general anti-racism protest. This is even more stupid because 1) now they need to do it forever (or at least until racism stops); and 2) it turns an anti-discrimination message, which nobody ever booed before, into some weird societal issue where every football fan is to blame for iqbal_mufc calling Ashley Young a monkey on the internet.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ah well as long as they don’t think they’re racists. It’s okay. They probably don’t think they’re homophobic either but Justin Fashanu didn’t hang himself cause he was weak.

These people are scum and should be treated as such but the people who think they’re better than said scum rely on those people to vote for them so they make up stories about how they’re actually just terrified of marxism. Pathetic.
    Treating these people 'like scum' and trying to lecture them / dismiss their concerns out of hand is pretty much what led to Donald Trump in America. This is not the practical way forward, and will just lead to them entrenching their positions. I wish I had an actual solution, but the last ten years of experience suggests that we can at least rule out your approach.

I do think many of their views are patently racist, but treating someone like pond scum is usually not the way to effect a change of heart.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm just curious how Jimmy has suddenly become such a privileged interpreter of the great British masses. When are you meeting these people either?

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The main problem with footballers taking a (the?) knee is that it sort of misses the symbolic significance of the original gesture. It was also something that had very real world implications, which none of this does. Unfortunately the house of cards didn't collapse when Zaha stopped doing it, which would have been the best time.

Who is going to boo it though? Key workers and local Brent residents at Wembley during the Euros? Really?

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/newsbeat-57382945

My main problem with this article is that they only spoke to one dissenting England fan. Cast a wider net than that, BBC.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Andrew, who is based in Lincoln
    Based in Lincoln? What the fuck is that? Surely anyone who would ever say they are 'based' somewhere wouldn't be based in fucking Lincoln?

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "Andrew" who's name, voice and location has been altered to protect his identity ...

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He probably just said Lincoln because it's the least racist part of racist Lincolnshire.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spoonsky View Post
    I'm just curious how Jimmy has suddenly become such a privileged interpreter of the great British masses. When are you meeting these people either?
    Probably by living here for 32 years and variously using my eyes and ears during that time.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Andrew Based In Lincoln is doing some excellent mental gymnastics there.

It's gonna be great that we basically have a home tournament and our fans are going to be booing the team before every game. We should just kick in a load of own goals and bow out early.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Knife the cunts.

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Probably by living here for 32 years and variously using my eyes and ears during that time.
    You’ve been doing that since Day 1 of posting here so let’s not bring the amount of years you’ve been alive as a resume.

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is it just England that will be taking the knee? Need a list of soft shite nations to cheer against.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You’ve been doing that since Day 1 of posting here so let’s not bring the amount of years you’ve been alive as a resume.
    I'm accordingly better at it now. You get better at most things, as you get older. Except a few.

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm accordingly better at it now. You get better at most things, as you get older. Except a few.
    The Shite Whisperer™

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Incredible 2003 energy there. Dr David Kelly, the left sided problem, Ms Dynamite, it all comes flooding back.

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Imagine Sven and Lembit at the clubs. A pair of absolute dogs drowning in busty women.

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Proper chav

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Opik probably has a big dick, but I really can't see what the attraction of Sven was/is to said busty women. Yes, he has money, but not THAT much money. It must be the same Swedish 'thing' that makes Gillian Anderson shag that bloke in Sex Education.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Foden's hair is horrific. That fringe is a hate crime

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Grealish's is worse

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Foden's is rancid. I'm loving the people comparing it to Gascoigne as if if it's a good omen.

"Fans are hoping he can inspire England in a similar way Gascoigne did all those years ago."

What, by being a lazy fuck and not bothering to run for a tap in in the semi?

I'm not still angry about Euro '96, you are.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The nostalgia about Euro 96 (I mistyped it as Euro 95 at first - I prefer that, like Windows 95) is based on little more than the fact that the nostalgees were younger then.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Foden is the closest thing England have had to bald-headed, drinking pints on a Friday bought, Wayne Rooney.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The nostalgia about Euro 96 (I mistyped it as Euro 95 at first - I prefer that, like Windows 95) is based on little more than the fact that the nostalgees were younger then.
    The worst thing about watching all the ITV re-runs last summer is definitely it showing up how much I'd misremembered some stuff.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Raoul Duke View Post
    Foden's hair is horrific. That fringe is a hate crime
    Irish criminal profile. Declan Rice grew his hair to leave it behind.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As I've maintained since, a lot of Euro 96 was absolutely rancid.

Venables' best attributes were getting the best out of Gazza and realising that Shearer and Sheringham were amazing together. Beyond that he was pretty clueless.

Switzerland was a horrible performance, we could have drawn or worse against Scotland. Spain were robbed and Germany was par for the course. Holland was brilliant.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Terry Venables' greatest achievement could be the unifying anti-racism gesture he produced well ahead of time. But will the FA embrace it?

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    https://www.skysports.com/football/n...e-name-and-age

Silas Wamangituka is actually a year older and named Silas Katompa Mvumpa.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yevrah View Post
    As I've maintained since, a lot of Euro 96 was absolutely rancid.

Venables' best attributes were getting the best out of Gazza and realising that Shearer and Sheringham were amazing together. Beyond that he was pretty clueless.

Switzerland was a horrible performance, we could have drawn or worse against Scotland. Spain were robbed and Germany was par for the course. Holland was brilliant.
    Gascoigne wasn't even up to much in '96, that one goal aside. He mostly waddled about and flattered to deceive.

Also watching those games last summer I learned to loathe Venables outright refusal to use substitutes or change his line-up at all, a trip down memory lane which watching Solskjaer teams had very much prepared me for.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've come around to liking Foden, despite his comically shitey face. He's a dad and loves going fishing. Better than TAA stalking pregnant women on instagram. He also reminds me of Insigne emerging from the deep slums of Naples and still looking and acting like it.

And then he's a brilliant player.