User Tag List

Page 215 of 236 FirstFirst ... 115165205213214215216217225 ... LastLast
Results 10,701 to 10,750 of 11773

Thread: The All New Jobs Thread

Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I await the ‘bro I’ll be in St Helens next week if you wanna meet up’ PM.
    I'm a twit

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Up in Solec Kujawski today, real prostitute murder country and there are plenty of potential victims loitering along the road should such a murderer arrive in town. We're so far out of the way that the truck company we visited had its own hotel and adjoining restaurant. The boss sensibly ordered halibut, and now wonders why his stomach is aching. I went for tomato pasta, which even these lads can't fuck up.

Have to credit Poland though, unlike anywhere in western Europe that I can think of it's a country visibly moving in the right direction.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you have the chance (though I'm guessing you won't? Maybe you can squeeze a dinner in there or something), go visit Torun. Very impressive old town.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Torun is lovely.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a job interview on Monday for what is essentially my dream role for where I'm at in my career, but it's in Paris, and I am seriously skeptical of moving to a place filled with Parisians...

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What if you commuted in from <looks at Google Maps> Noisy-le-sec?

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shindig View Post
    What if you commuted in from <looks at Google Maps> Noisy-le-sec?
    The first image when you google it makes it look like a northern council estate

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Purely by chance, I swear.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SvN View Post
    The first image when you google it makes it look like a northern council estate

This looks like every Paris "view", just that usually you have something in the far distance that makes it so the landlord can say "with a view of the Eiffel tower".

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It depends on where exactly in Paris your office would be. The people weren't as bad as I expected/was told, but then again I was only there for a year and it coincided with Covid so maybe I was spared from the full Parisien effect.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dead center, near Opera metro. I think I would only want to live on the left bank though, maybe all the way down towards 13th.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I lived in L'Hay-les-Roses (southern suburb) and it was great but it was not very well connected in terms of public transport (substantially cheaper rent though, and it was closer to my research center anyway).
    Last edited by Adramelch; 27-09-2023 at 11:46 AM.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another boss-related disaster today. Starting out in Warsaw at 8am, I put the address of the next customer into the satnav, it was in Poznan (in the west of Poland). Boss said no, that's wrong, they're in Katowice (in the south). I argued, he said no, it's a suburb which has the same name but they're actually in Katowice, I've visited them before. I said but look at the postcode on his email signature, it matches the one in Poznan. He said no, believe me, he picked me up from Katowice airport last time. I said fine, have it your way.

Long story short, they are indeed in Poznan and we're now in Katowice.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So much for stopping in Torun then.

Ah well, you can go visit some silver mines instead, I guess. Or, more likely, just drive him back while he refuses to acknowledge he even made a mistake in the first place.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Floyd View Post
    Another boss-related disaster today. Starting out in Warsaw at 8am, I put the address of the next customer into the satnav, it was in Poznan (in the west of Poland). Boss said no, that's wrong, they're in Katowice (in the south). I argued, he said no, it's a suburb which has the same name but they're actually in Katowice, I've visited them before. I said but look at the postcode on his email signature, it matches the one in Poznan. He said no, believe me, he picked me up from Katowice airport last time. I said fine, have it your way.

Will you be driving to Poznan now or is that customer now done with?

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No, we've had to rack him off and going to see a much smaller fish in Czestochowa instead.

I really like this country, the one thing that counts against it is the impenetrable language. I speak 4+ languages to some extent but I can't get this out of my mouth at all. Even the word for thank you is impossible to say.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Religious freak central in Czestochowa.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No, we've had to rack him off and going to see a much smaller fish in Czestochowa instead.

I really like this country, the one thing that counts against it is the impenetrable language. I speak 4+ languages to some extent but I can't get this out of my mouth at all. Even the word for thank you is impossible to say.
    'Kurwa' is easy enough.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Adramelch View Post
    It depends on where exactly in Paris your office would be. The people weren't as bad as I expected/was told, but then again I was only there for a year and it coincided with Covid so maybe I was spared from the full Parisien effect.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bernanke View Post
    I have a job interview on Monday for what is essentially my dream role for where I'm at in my career, but it's in Paris, and I am seriously skeptical of moving to a place filled with Parisians...
    What's so bad about Parisians?

This question is not open to any of you English lot cause you're all weird as fuck about the French.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Boydy View Post

This question is not open to any of you English lot cause you're all weird as fuck about the French.
    https://www.forbes.com/sites/andrewb...for-travelers/

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The general consensus seems to be that the French will just refuse to speak English to you no matter what (which I don't even personally mind to be honest) and just generally look down on people who don't speak French and that Paris is the worst at that. That wasn't as much my experience. Even people that didn't speak English, tried to use the 5-10 words they did know in an effort to communicate with me.

On the topic of them speaking English: My default response when someone doesn't speak Greek will be to switch to English. I think that's not their default reaction and it might come across as them not wanting to speak English. I had multiple encounters, where young people tried to ask me for directions in French, I replied "Je ne parle pas français" and then we either moved on or tried to communicate with hand signals and stuff. Since they were young (one specific occasion was a 20-25something girl asking me directions for a student dorm), I doubt none of them spoke English. I didn't ask if they spoke English because for me it was a given that they would switch to it since I said I don't speak French, but I think that's just not the case.

Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm a twit

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Adramelch View Post
    On the topic of them speaking English: My default response when someone doesn't speak Greek will be to switch to English. I think that's not their default reaction and it might come across as them not wanting to speak English. I had multiple encounters, where young people tried to ask me for directions in French, I replied "Je ne parle pas français" and then we either moved on or tried to communicate with hand signals and stuff. Since they were young (one specific occasion was a 20-25something girl asking me directions for a student dorm), I doubt none of them spoke English. I didn't ask if they spoke English because for me it was a given that they would switch to it since I said I don't speak French, but I think that's just not the case.
    Pretty much spot on in my experience. I've had the same feeling in rural France as well as Paris, so I don't think Parisians deserve a bad reputation on this point. Although Paris itself is just wank in my experience, so there's that.

Contrast that with Germany for example, who default to English as soon as they discover you're British, even if your German is better than their English (although not normally, they're usually very good). It's just in their nature to be accommodating, whereas French isn't so much (rather like us, then).

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is being this sort of person a requisite for making it in that job / industry or does being in the job / industry just turn you into that sort of person?

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben View Post
    Pretty much spot on in my experience. I've had the same feeling in rural France as well as Paris, so I don't think Parisians deserve a bad reputation on this point. Although Paris itself is just wank in my experience, so there's that.

Contrast that with Germany for example, who default to English as soon as they discover you're British, even if your German is better than their English (although not normally, they're usually very good). It's just in their nature to be accommodating, whereas French isn't so much (rather like us, then).
    The French have a real bugbear about what they percieve to be the anglican dominance of western culture in general and I can't blame them really as I can imagine it being like Brexit on steroids here if the reverse was true.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The one thing that really baffles me in all of the big European countries is how they can stand watching everything dubbed. In all of Barcelona there was a total of 2 cinemas that played the original versions of movies with Spanish subtitles. Everything else was dubbed.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He means 'Parisians'. Not Parisians.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Parisians are just curt, same as the inhabitants of any mega-city. France is basically a mirror image of England, and Paris is basically like London.

And you should all just learn French.
    Last edited by Jimmy Floyd; 27-09-2023 at 04:38 PM.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    Is being this sort of person a requisite for making it in that job / industry or does being in the job / industry just turn you into that sort of person?
    He (and several of the other regional managers, from what I've seen) seems to thrive on a high-stress existence. If things are calm and running smoothly, he becomes very uneasy (often visibly so) and feels the need to change things or shake the jar to unsteady them again. I am the complete opposite, and spend my life trying to eliminate all stress. As such we actually work very well together but honestly who knows if I'll be able to bring my personality into his job, if/when I get it. Hopefully I will.

ram it up your shitpipe Giggles's Avatar
    Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What's the best of the numerous services for learning some basics in a language? And by that I don't mean "maan you got to move and immerse yourself in it". I'm a grown adult with responsibilities.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I reckon Duolingo, whilst annoying as fuck for those around you, isn't bad at the job.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Duo Lingo's decent but I find it really bad for teaching grammar. It's never explicit about it so you're meant to just sort of pick it up as you go but my brain likes rules I can learn.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with Boyd.

I've tried upping my Polish to a better level but it's so hard because I struggle with grammar. In particular choosing the right endings to words (there are 7 cases in Polish so it's a minefield), Duolingo never tells me why X is right as opposed to Y, it just tells me I'm wrong.

Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Unless you’re gonna benefit financially, there’s no reason to learn a language.
    I'm a twit

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, I don't know that I would learn one for fun, but they are one of the most marketable skills.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Idiot comment. @Baz

I'm using duo with German and it's massively improved my vocab and can handle basics. I do need to top it up with some actual lessons and grammar books but no time etc.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Parisians are just curt, same as the inhabitants of any mega-city. France is basically a mirror image of England, and Paris is basically like London.

And you should all just learn French.
    My French was actually not bad when I lived in Nice back in 2011, so should be able to pick that up fairly quick.

Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Baz View Post
    Unless you’re gonna benefit financially, there’s no reason to learn a language.
    It would be a big help for work.

Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I reckon Duolingo, whilst annoying as fuck for those around you, isn't bad at the job.
    Is it something that would work while driving or do you need visuals?

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you want something to listen to while driving, get the Michel Thomas stuff. You can get the recordings on various piracy sites instead of paying for the very expensive course but they're good.

You need to be able to use your phone for Duolingo.

Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice one. Maybe a combo of the two would be good.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Giggles View Post
    It would be a big help for work.
    Everywhere apart from here and US/Canada. I regularly go to Vienna, Cologne and Stuttgart for work and the only time I need to speak German is when asking for the bill in a restaurant. Everyone reverts to English as soon as they know one is about.

But anyway, I agree, it’s always good to learn another language.

Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I find the accommodating varies a lot depending on where in Germany you are.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Even if it's not necessary because they speak English, speaking someone's native language still makes things better. A bit of an extreme example, but whenever I was living in Barcelona, everytime I said a couple words in Catalan (the very basics like good morning) in any kind of business setting, their demeanor instantly shifted.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know what the other Duolingo languages are like for phrases but it feels like whoever is making the Italian lessons has issues when you have to translate lines like "she does not miss her grandchildren"

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I find the accommodating varies a lot depending on where in Germany you are.
    Yep, and who you're talking to. English is obviously the language of the corporate world, but for random interactions in different places, and just for reading signs and so on, it's really useful to have at least a basic knowledge.

Plus in my line of work we're often dealing with shabby bastards who are about as corporate as my belly button fluff.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What's the best of the numerous services for learning some basics in a language? And by that I don't mean "maan you got to move and immerse yourself in it". I'm a grown adult with responsibilities.
    As others have said, if you can combine Duolingo with some grammar lessons from elsewhere, that should give you a good foundation.

I learned Dutch mostly from Duolingo and asking my Dutch ex's family to just stop speaking English/German during visits to the Netherlands. Now I'm mostly fluent conversationally but somewhat wonky grammar-wise. Though I guess the German->Dutch jump is an outlier since the two are extremely similar.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Depends what you want out of the language in terms of grammar I guess? I work for a German company so on the rare occasions my written/spoken German is called upon, it's in a professional setting so my grammar has to be somewhat decent. But if you just want to get by then does grammar matter that much? They'd still know what I'm getting at even if it sounds weird. For mental grammar languages like Russian, it's probably not worth all the extra hours learning if your goal is just to converse.

Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Germans I deal with have shit English grammar anyway, but can all carry a basic conversation and you know what they mean. That's all I'd really need the other direction.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Then Duolingo and maybe some occasional reading/watching of not-too-complex German media with subtitles should get you there. Also after you've picked up some basic phrases, ask one of them to point out your most egregious mistakes early on before they become a habit. Germans are much more diffident and less willing to do that than the French or the Dutch in my experience, but it really helps.