User Tag List

Page 209 of 236 FirstFirst ... 109159199207208209210211219 ... LastLast
Results 10,401 to 10,450 of 11775

Thread: The All New Jobs Thread

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Google says Wayne Larkins is some cricketer, what's he done to get sandwiched into a conversation between Jimmy Saville and the West's?

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shindig View Post
    My dad once washed Jimmy Saville's car. Sir Jim'll went off to get some ice cream for the lads but my dad sodded off. A great decision in retrospect.
    He probably took a while working his way through the ice cream line.

The Artist Formerly Known as Taz
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    https://www.theguardian.com/society/...day-week-trial

The state of the ginger Tory nonce and his comments.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I arrived into Toulouse this afternoon, along with the boss (from those who remember our Spanish trip getting on for 2 years ago). The boss is an east end wide boy kind of a dealer, clinging on to his position within the company after South Africans cut his pay. These days he's 73 so in some senses still a young buck, but openly fearing his imminent axeing to be replaced by me, creating a slightly awkward dynamic to say the least. As such, on this trip, as well as our own customers we're visiting a couple of other companies who are his side hustle customers for a new venture he's started with his son. Told me to keep it hush-hush.

Upon landing in Toulouse, he opens his phone, and his cancer-ridden wife has a message for him. It sounds serious. He rings off. 'My son's been lifted,' he says. That means arrested, and is still in a police station awaiting questioning. He speculates as to what he might have done: 'Fighting? I dunno.' He makes a call. 'Hi, Pedro. Could you find out what's going on? It's urgent.' Pedro, to his credit, quickly comes back with news. 'It's this bird he used to live with,' reports the boss. 'Says he gave her a whack. Got a bit rough with her.' Anyway, there's no evidence, he says, so he's sure he'll be released tonight. Time for some steak frites.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Created absolute war at my old place by finally raising a big concern that occurred when I worked there. Speaking to their people manager and/or CEO tomorrow via phone and they may wish to hold a meeting in the future regarding it too.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This isn't the place to skimp on details. Come on, be more Floyd.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It depends on how the call goes tomorrow, I'll put the details in here if I can post it. I have threatened to go the social route, papers etc.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Narc Soldier.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My afternoon consisted of 2 home visits:

Home visit 1 was interrupted by a phone call from his doctor saying he needs to come in for a biopsy, because they think he may have colon cancer.

Home visit 2 was around a 14 year old with lupus, having chemo, light therapy, hairloss, depression and a suicide attempt.

Happy, happy days.

Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Met Katie Piper today.
    I'm a twit

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's always lupus.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shindig View Post
    Narc Soldier.
    That's good tbf.

Call went well anyway, ongoing process, they will come to me next week with what they believe the next steps will be, need to speak to HR, legal etc. Taking it very seriously as they should. Once its all done with and if I can I'll type it all up in here.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tease.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Spent today mostly cold-calling moody joints in the backstreets of Marseille. Sometimes I have to admire my own adaptability. Other times I think I should just get a different job.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Isn't that place a war zone at the moment [or just generally]?

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Assuming French garages have similar demographics to ours, I don't think you'll find many of the rioters there.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by niko_cee View Post
    Isn't that place a war zone at the moment [or just generally]?
    Don't think I'd be heading into the projects that loom large in every sense at the top of the hill on your way in, but the rest of it's OK. It does seem a lot livelier than anywhere else I've been in France. A lot more of a football city than anywhere else, too, at least if my spidey senses are to be trusted.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, Marseille definitely has a different feel to most other places I've been in France. Bit of old fashioned menace.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We just drove into the city with a view to going to a 'cous cous restaurant' that the boss remembers being good about 20 years ago. Now, I should explain: this guy doesn't accept/believe evidence in front of him, only his own vague drink-addled memory. This means he won't ever look up where the restaurant is and go to it, he'll just drive to somewhere near where he thinks it is and see if he can see it on the way past. So as we randomly drove through various neighbourhoods which did not contain said restaurant (It's fackin gone!), my attempts to suggest (via google) actual restaurants that exist all fell on both literally and figuratively deaf ears. Eventually on the way back out of the city he drove us into what looked like someone's house because he saw people 'sitting down'. He went inside and said people confirmed it was not a restaurant.

90 minutes later we have ended up back in the hotel having a sandwich. Love the guy. My favourite boss.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He just walked into someone's house?

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jesus. He needs another reason to live.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    People are setting up restaurants in their houses now tbf.

I went to a lovely place in Belgium a couple of months back:

https://www.rijkderzinnen.be/

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It kind of had an open front and two black guys were sitting at a table eating, with an older white guy sitting on a futon further back. It might have been some hippy house or something. But it definitely wasn't a fucking restaurant.
    Last edited by Jimmy Floyd; 05-07-2023 at 07:30 PM.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On my travels around France in 2016 I confirmed that Marseille was a bit of a dump.

See also, Lille.

Lens was quite cool though, but Bordeaux clearly the best I visited closely followed by Nice.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I thought Marseille had the weather going for it?

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's slightly unlike anywhere I've ever been. Beautiful weather, port, hillside projects, quite nice to look at, rough and ready and lively as fuck. Saw a burned-out bus on the drive earlier. The only comparison in my head (and this is pathetic) is King's Landing. I imagine it better reflects the likes of Casablanca on the other side of the Med.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The boss managed a wonderful final salvo on our trip. The very last customer we were going to see was some rectifier buried deep in the middle of Marseille. The boss said he remembered going there a few years ago and being thrown out at the door, but he thought it was worth another cold call to see if we had more luck this time. I didn't know the place but I put the company name into Google to find out exactly where it was. An address came up on various aggregator / yellow pages type sites, but the company itself had no website, which made me a bit concerned. Eventually I managed to get into the French version of Companies House to find that the company had been liquidated in 2013. I told the boss this and he said 'No chance, I was there in 2019, they threw me out at the door. You're going in and doing the talking this time.' So we (I) drove there, ducking and diving in the streets of Marseille, to this place where there may once have been an engine workshop. Sure enough, it was now an empty building with someone living in a flat above it.

The boss said oh well, and we moved on. I asked him if that was the same place he got thrown out of in 2019. He said 'no, I was fibbing. I never went there'. Was that some weird attempt at gaslighting, or is he just a fucking moron?

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Both.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Senile dementia.

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Waffdon View Post
    Went well on my end. Job is not really what I thought it was though and the 2nd interviewer taking notes was annoying as fuck
    Got offered it. Turned it down.

We go again.

Man(c) of the People igor_balis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    someone stole my niknaks

ram it up your shitpipe Giggles's Avatar
    Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They're in Aldi now. Nibbly Nobblys

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Our fire service are recruiting at the moment and it's very tempting to have a bash. It'd involve a paycut but riding around with the boys on a 4 days on, 4 days off schedule (aka the return of the sesh) doesn't half sound like a great life. That's before you bring in the benefits of having eternal hero status and early retirement.

I'm definitely enjoying what I do at the moment but an office will never be the ideal environment for me. It's a tough one but I figure I might as well apply and see how I feel down the line as the deadline is at the end of the month.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Offshore Toon View Post
    Our fire service are recruiting at the moment and it's very tempting to have a bash. It'd involve a paycut but riding around with the boys on a 4 days on, 4 days off schedule (aka the return of the sesh) doesn't half sound like a great life. That's before you bring in the benefits of having eternal hero status and early retirement.

I'm definitely enjoying what I do at the moment but an office will never be the ideal environment for me. It's a tough one but I figure I might as well apply and see how I feel down the line as the deadline is at the end of the month.
    How likely are you to melt?

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In Jersey? As close to zero as you can get. We've just had a gas explosion disaster so now is a great time to get on board whilst prevention is top priority.

The worst part of the job is that they deal with dead bodies. I know one of them and it sounds pretty horrendous.

Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Get yourself on Documenting Reality to desensitise yourself.
    I'm a twit

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've decided against it now. It's a bit of a job for life so would cement my future here which I'm not massively sure about. Plus ChatGPT can't put out fires.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At least you gave it plenty of thought.

More successful than most Magic's Avatar
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Offshore Toon View Post
    I've decided against it now. It's a bit of a job for life so would cement my future here which I'm not massively sure about. Plus ChatGPT can't put out fires.
    According to the techbros it can.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Earned my first ever commission this month. £229.51 on sales of £180,000. I am swimming with the fucking large fishes out here.

The Arab got nothing as his target is ludicrously high. He's going on a three-week trip to the Kingdom to try and make ends meet. He's launched a bitter complaint to anyone who will listen (me) that the company won't let him expense his cigarettes while there. Talk about losing battles.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are you selling at a 1% profit margin?

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What percentage is that? 0.15%? What's the standard in your racket? In the glory days when I was a conductor it was 5% and mobile sales were a pipe dream, ticket barriers unheard of up in Cumbria. Only took £2000 on a busy day mind but not to be sniffed at for simply doing your job.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Average gross margin on that stuff is 56%. It's just a pitiful structure we're on. If I can get the boss to retire and take over Europe then that's where the money is.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lofty View Post
    What percentage is that? 0.15%? What's the standard in your racket? In the glory days when I was a conductor it was 5% and mobile sales were a pipe dream, ticket barriers unheard of up in Cumbria. Only took £2000 on a busy day mind but not to be sniffed at for simply doing your job.
    For UK it's set at 0.625% of profit. The offer I had to do Central America it was 2.5% of profit if you hit the target. Arab is on 1% for some reason, I think he's just a mug.

Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Microsoft Outlook Reactions need to get in the bin. I can just about tolerate them in Teams Chat (dancing emoji reaction to Christmas Do booking, for example) but getting an email every few days telling me someone has put their thumb up to me doing my job? No thank you.
    I'm a twit

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not that I disagree with the sentiment but I'm assuming there's a way to turn off reaction notifications. I also vaguely remember that they would introduce the setting where you don't allow reactions on the ones you send, but I am not sure if that's in or not.

That said, I just dislike Outlook altogether. It often feels way too clunky.

Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Adramelch View Post
    Not that I disagree with the sentiment but I'm assuming there's a way to turn off reaction notifications.
    There is not.

However, I have now created a rule to delete them.
    I'm a twit

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thankfully I don't think they can be allowed in my work or maybe nobody's cottoned on to them yet or yeah, that shit would be getting rules'd right into the bin.

Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Similarly, anyone that tries to request a read receipt gets their email automatically put to the bottom of the priority pile.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Floyd View Post
    For UK it's set at 0.625% of profit. The offer I had to do Central America it was 2.5% of profit if you hit the target. Arab is on 1% for some reason, I think he's just a mug.
    Do (any of) you get to see how the profit is calculated if you hit your targets? Not that I'm accusing your firm of dumbing down the numbers to pay less bonus or anything...