User Tag List

Page 23 of 30 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 ... LastLast
Results 1,101 to 1,150 of 1480

Thread: Mobile Phone Thread

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think I'm ready to rejoin THE ECOSYSTEM.

My contract is up in a couple of months and my Pixel 2XL is showing a bit of age. The battery life isn't what it used to be and the lock button is quite temperamental. I was holding out hope for the 4. However it doesn't seem like that much of an upgrade on the 3.

Looking at the iPhone 11 range and they have the battery life I crave it seems. The camera(s) seem just as good as, if not better than what I have now and I don't fuss about with customisation to the point where I'd miss it.

My question is the 11 v the 11 pro. The Max is too big for me. My 2XL is probably a smidge too big for my hands, so the 11 Pro would be perfect size wise. But is the extra cost worth what is essentially 1 extra camera I'll rarely use and a better resolution screen? That's what I'm debating now.

I'd also want the watch. I never thought I'd get on with one, but even the Gear Fit 2 I'm using now is very useful in a work place where my phone isn't allowed out. I've never paid much attention to them though so I've no idea on the differences between generations. Is the series 3 going to be just as useful to me as say the 4?

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you're not fussed about the camera then I'd go with the 11 and the Series 3. If you want the new shiny shiny then I'd go with the Pro and the Series 4.

I tried the Pro Max in the store and found it too massive.

ram it up your shitpipe Giggles's Avatar
    Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is the camera on the regular 11 not pretty much the same as the Pro for the majority of shots?

The Gear Fit will work to a certain extent with the iPhone too.

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Having looked deeper, the 2 cameras on the 11 are the exact same as the relative 2 on the Pro/Max. The Ultra Wide being added on is the only difference camera wise.

I doubt I'd use that Ultrawide more than twice a year past the first day, trying it out.

The 11 is probably going to be the same size as my 2XL. The 11 does have a bigger display but no top and bottom speakers like I have now.

So the only difference really is that screen. The 11 pro can actually do full HD and has an OLED panel. Whereas the 11 is an LCD job that can just about manage 720p.

As for the watch. For some reason they've discontinued the 4 series but not the 3. Probably as there doesn't seem to be any real upgrade in the 5 besides always-on mode. The 3 being down to £200 makes that a tempter.

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gray Fox View Post
    Having looked deeper, the 2 cameras on the 11 are the exact same as the relative 2 on the Pro/Max. The Ultra Wide being added on is the only difference camera wise.

I doubt I'd use that Ultrawide more than twice a year past the first day, trying it out.

The 11 is probably going to be the same size as my 2XL. The 11 does have a bigger display but no top and bottom speakers like I have now.

So the only difference really is that screen. The 11 pro can actually do full HD and has an OLED panel. Whereas the 11 is an LCD job that can just about manage 720p.

As for the watch. For some reason they've discontinued the 4 series but not the 3. Probably as there doesn't seem to be any real upgrade in the 5 besides always-on mode. The 3 being down to £200 makes that a tempter.
    The 11 has the wide angle. It’s the telephoto that’s extra on the 11 Pro. I’ve an 11 out for delivery myself.

Last edited by Giggles; 26-10-2019 at 03:11 PM.

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm looking forward to see what you make of the battery. I've heard great things and it's the first time in recent memory that a manufacturer has made their phone thicker for the sake of it.

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm looking forward to see what you make of the battery. I've heard great things and it's the first time in recent memory that a manufacturer has made their phone thicker for the sake of it.
    It’s the main reason I’m chancing getting one, I looked at Oneplus, Note 10, etc but other android phone with good battery can match the Pixel for camera. I had the Pixel 4XL for a while and it was brilliant but I don’t think I could cope with the battery coming from a P30 Pro. iOS is going to take some getting used to though and I’m going to miss the fuck out of Android Auto for work.
    Last edited by Giggles; 26-10-2019 at 03:13 PM.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Still loving my 11, it’s such a huge upgrade from the 7 for sure.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fox - I have the series 3 and I would say, despite the obviously much more appealing price point, you should go for a series 4 or series 5. The difference in the screen sizes is huge. The series 3 screen is small and rectangular, while the 4 and 5 kind of expand out to the corners of the device. Much more pleasing on the eye and they pack more information in too.

The series 3 barely sees any updates in terms of watch faces now because most of the useful new watch faces don’t fit the smaller rectangular screen of the 3.

I would only recommend a series 3 if you really want a smart watch / fitness tracker but are severely limited by budget.

My two cents.

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good few omissions in this that I'm used to from Android but it's still a nice piece of kit. For such a poor spec display on paper it's lovely in reality.

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CJay View Post
    Fox - I have the series 3 and I would say, despite the obviously much more appealing price point, you should go for a series 4 or series 5. The difference in the screen sizes is huge. The series 3 screen is small and rectangular, while the 4 and 5 kind of expand out to the corners of the device. Much more pleasing on the eye and they pack more information in too.

The series 3 barely sees any updates in terms of watch faces now because most of the useful new watch faces don’t fit the smaller rectangular screen of the 3.

I would only recommend a series 3 if you really want a smart watch / fitness tracker but are severely limited by budget.

My two cents.
    The Gear Fit 2 I have now is pretty basic in everything so I don't think it would be a massive issue in terms of faces and things, but the screen stuff is useful info. I have more stubby fingers so the extra room would be good for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Giggles View Post
    Good few omissions in this that I'm used to from Android but it's still a nice piece of kit. For such a poor spec display on paper it's lovely in reality.
    I take it you went for the standard 11 then?

I'm very interested to what you think of it as if I remember rightly you were also on the Pixel train before the 4 was revealed.

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I take it you went for the standard 11 then?

I'm very interested to what you think of it as if I remember rightly you were also on the Pixel train before the 4 was revealed.
    For the most part it’s excellent. Hardware as expected is top notch, iOS is very easy to use and it all runs smooth, camera is excellent (not as good as the Pixel 4 in low light but close enough), Face ID makes me never want to use a fingerprint scanner again, and it’s the perfect size for me (I don’t think I’d like the Pro as it’d be too small).

The few things I miss so far:
    - Assistant. Siri is absolutely rubbish. It’s handy that you can install Assistant and use it and the Siri shortcut to Assistant is handy for voice use but it hasn’t the same functionality as you have on an Android phone.
    - I missed proper notifications and the notification bar but I’ve found over even a couple of days I’ve been getting used to how it works. A lot of the time I’ll have loads and not even know until I accidentally find them but I assume that’s just settings.
    - Android Auto. There’s no on-phone driving mode meaning that if you’re navigating with Google Maps and someone rings it covers it up and you’ve to risk touching the phone to get maps back. Won’t be too big an issue soon as I’m getting a new car with Auto and Carplay but I believe they tie you to the pointless Apple Maps on that.
    - Apart from those I’d say little things like no back button, or all the settings not being in the apps are just going to have to be got used to.

After the few days with the Pixel 4XL, if the battery had been better I’d definitely prefer that over the iphone but I’d say a lot of it is familiarity.

EDIT - Oh and my Gear S3 works perfectly fine with the 11. I’d say I’m actually getting better notifications from it than I was from the P30 Pro.
    Last edited by Giggles; 31-10-2019 at 07:13 PM.

Senior Member Alan Shearer The 2nd's Avatar
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My phone knowledge is limited and I'm after a recommendation.

I have an ageing iphone 5 that I got off the other half a few years ago and it just seems noticeably slower and clunkier than it used to.

Don't do contracts, I've always been a PAYG luddite at £15 a month and I've preferred the apple phone to all the previous android phones I've had.

Any suggestions on a replacement for £200 or less?

I like the size of the 5 and could do with a half-decent camera, couldn't give a shit about things like wireless charging and facial recognition etc.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan Shearer The 2nd View Post
    My phone knowledge is limited and I'm after a recommendation.

I have an ageing iphone 5 that I got off the other half a few years ago and it just seems noticeably slower and clunkier than it used to.

Don't do contracts, I've always been a PAYG luddite at £15 a month and I've preferred the apple phone to all the previous android phones I've had.

Any suggestions on a replacement for £200 or less?

I like the size of the 5 and could do with a half-decent camera, couldn't give a shit about things like wireless charging and facial recognition etc.
    iPhone-wise your only option is an iPhone SE. I don’t think you can get them new anymore, but getting a used one and getting a new battery might be a good idea. One thing to consider is that it’s 2015/2016 era phone so it’s not modern, even though it’s a big upgrade on what you currently have. The SE runs on the latest OS, but may get dropped next year (or it may not!). Using an iPhone 5 I assume that’s not much of an issue for you anyway though.

The other option is to go for a slightly bigger phone - like a 7 or 8. You can probably get a used 7 for less than £200, not sure about an 8.

No one makes phones the size of the 5 / SE anymore.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Any idea how the 7 would compare with an SE?

The other half has an SE, refurbished might be the way to go. I don't trust myself with phones so also buy a case that covers the screen and that's bulky enough with these smaller phones, never been a huge fan of the size increase in the past few years.

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Even going Android where you could go new in that price bracket, you'll have bother with the size. Small phones really are gone a thing of the past.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan Shearer The 2nd View Post
    Any idea how the 7 would compare with an SE?
    The 7 is one year more modern than the SE. You’re getting a bigger screen and a better camera, but not a huge upgrade in raw terms.

My advice is always to go for the most modern device you can afford, as that gets you the longest period of software updates.

I personally think getting an SE isn’t a good idea at this point, but if you’re wedded to the size then it’s your only option. You can probably get it for a lot less than £200 too, but make sure you don’t get a 16gb one if you do go for it. I think it was the last iPhone to sell with that storage size.

Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Due to an upgrade in the next month or so. Currently on a Pixel 2. What's good these days? I think I currently pay about 28 quid a month. Can go a bit higher this time but wouldn't really want to go beyond 35 quid.

Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Having done a bit of research, I think I might go for the Galaxy S10. Have you used it @Giggles? What's your thoughts?

Man(c) of the People igor_balis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have an s10+ it's good

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’ve used the 10e and the 10+ so pretty much. They’re well worth getting. One UI is improving with every update too, I’d near rather use it that what’s on a Pixel these days. Only downside for me is the fingerprint (on the 10 and 10+, the 10e is great being on the side).

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My S8+ is pretty much knackered so I'm looking at the S10+ too. Wouldn't mind a cheeky price drop before taking the dive though.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CJay View Post
    The 7 is one year more modern than the SE. You’re getting a bigger screen and a better camera, but not a huge upgrade in raw terms.

My advice is always to go for the most modern device you can afford, as that gets you the longest period of software updates.

I personally think getting an SE isn’t a good idea at this point, but if you’re wedded to the size then it’s your only option. You can probably get it for a lot less than £200 too, but make sure you don’t get a 16gb one if you do go for it. I think it was the last iPhone to sell with that storage size.
    Musicmagpie have plenty choice of 5SE's, anyone bought a refurbed phone from them before? Seem to have good reviews.

I keep thinking to go for something a bit newer but any newer comparisons I look at list a load of positives I couldn't give a shit about and drawbacks (battery life etc.) that would actually annoy me.

Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What's the difference between the S10+ and the normal S10? Just the screen size?

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep. Battery too but that’s a given in a smaller phone.

Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just read some review of the three S10 variants that said although they have different size batteries, they all get through them at roughly the same rate due to the different screen sizes. I think the S10+ is just a bit too expensive to justify but the S10 seems like a decent deal.

It's on Three for 29 quid upfront and 35 quid a month with 100gb data. That seems to be about the best offer around.

Edit: just seen it for 34 quid a month and 20 quid upfront with 100gb of data.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Boydy View Post
    Just read some review of the three S10 variants that said although they have different size batteries, they all get through them at roughly the same rate due to the different screen sizes. I think the S10+ is just a bit too expensive to justify but the S10 seems like a decent deal.

It's on Three for 29 quid upfront and 35 quid a month with 100gb data. That seems to be about the best offer around.

Edit: just seen it for 34 quid a month and 20 quid upfront with 100gb of data.
    I love the S10 Note+ but I got the 5G model and feel like O2's 4G is shite even in central Manchester.

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can currently get the iPhone 11 with 5000 minutes and 100GB of data for £33 a month(36 months) on Virgin Mobile.

I believe Virgin use EEs network too so that's a pretty damn good deal.

The pro is £10 a month more for the same, but I really can't decide if it's worth the difference for the better screen and (for me) better screen size.

Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fuck a 3 year contract though. You'll spend the last year of it with your phone constantly on the charger.

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’ll say one thing for this iPhone, whether I keep buying them or not, but I have never had to consciously plug it in for fear of running out. The 11 Pro Max must have 2 days at least easily.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fuck a 3 year contract though. You'll spend the last year of it with your phone constantly on the charger.
    What? Just get your battery replaced.

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’ll say one thing for this iPhone, whether I keep buying them or not, but I have never had to consciously plug it in for fear of running out. The 11 Pro Max must have 2 days at least easily.
    I've had the 11 pro for about a week now and back this up.

My Pixel, albeit near 2 years into use, was down to 20% or below after a days use. The Apple is finishing at worst on 61% so far.

Given the idle usage is also amazing on Apples, I could get through 2 days without a charge with reasonable comfort.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Inter
    Roma
    Porto
    Ajax
    Olympiacos

Any would be ideal for an away day with Wolves

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SincereTheRebel View Post
    Inter
    Roma
    Porto
    Ajax
    Olympiacos

Any would be ideal for an away day with Wolves
    Great phones.

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Apple soon to be No-Porto.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Something something headphone Ajax something.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got myself an LA Galaxy the other day.

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How does it do Huawei from home?

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fine. I'm covered on the Total Network Solutions plan.

Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Need a new phone as I'm getting sick of the shitty battery on my pixel 2 now. Shame cause otherwise I'd be happy enough with it and move to a sim only deal.

That new Samsung Galaxy S10 Lite looks interesting. So does the A71. They both have pretty big batteries which is what I'd like.

Anyone got either or know of any other decent battery life phones? I'd prefer to avoid the Chinese spyware brands.

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    iPhone 11, P30 Pro from experience. A Samsung up to now will never have wonderful battery life. The Pixel 3A XL is strong enough too.

Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    iPhone 11, P30 Pro from experience. A Samsung up to now will never have wonderful battery life. The Pixel 3A XL is strong enough too.
    The S10 Lite has a 4000 mAh battery and the A71 a 4500 mAh one.

Is the iPhone 11 battery good? I always thought iPhones were meant to be a bit shit for battery life? Not sure I'd want to spend that much though.

I'd rather avoid Huawei. I don't need Xi Jinping knowing what sort of porn I like.

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The S10 Lite has a 4000 mAh battery and the A71 a 4500 mAh one.

Is the iPhone 11 battery good? I always thought iPhones were meant to be a bit shit for battery life? Not sure I'd want to spend that much though.

I'd rather avoid Huawei. I don't need Xi Jinping knowing what sort of porn I like.
    Sorry I was thinking of the S10e not the lite. It should be better than most to date but Samsung phones are always battery hogs especially if they have their own chips inside.
    The iPhone 11 battery is excellent. Both it and the P30 Pro are the first two phones (I’ve used for a long period of time) that I never needed to care about charging overnight or worried about having around 50% on heading out.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry I was thinking of the S10e not the lite. It should be better than most to date but Samsung phones are always battery hogs especially if they have their own chips inside.
    The iPhone 11 battery is excellent. Both it and the P30 Pro are the first two phones (I’ve used for a long period of time) that I never needed to care about charging overnight or worried about having around 50% on heading out.
    Can confirm. I charge my new iPhone 11 every other night. Battery life is excellent. If you don’t take pictures you could probably do 2 nights without charging.

I’m not sure but I think it’s best in class (for normal phones anyway).

Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Alright, went for the S10 Lite in the end. 40 quid upfront, 30 quid a month with 20gb of data.

It just arrived today. What's the best way to transfer all my shit from my old phone?

Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh, and £80 cashback from Samsung as well.

Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Turns out Samsung has its own app for transferring stuff that came up when I switched it on. Installed it on the old phone and it transferred everything over wifi. Nice and easy.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's my dumb question for the day: When I upgrade my phone, can I keep the old one as a spare?

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah once the contract is up you own the phone. The price of it is built in to the contract.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Grand. Now to figure out what I can get away with. I've been on £25 a month with unlimited data forever and I doubt I'll get anything that cheap in 2020.