User Tag List

Page 194 of 238 FirstFirst ... 94144184192193194195196204 ... LastLast
Results 9,651 to 9,700 of 11866

Thread: U.S. Presidential Election 2016 (Sponsored by Betty Croker's Hamburger Helper)

Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Colin Powell turning up on CNN and saying he's voting for Biden because Trump 'lies to the American people' is fucking hilarious.

Like does he think he we don't remember his trip to the UN?

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spoonsky View Post
    Actually agree with you here. It feels dangerously close to trying to erase the memory that slavery happened, while meanwhile the city built by slavery still stands as though the money didn’t come from anywhere. I’ve always thought it’s better when they just install a plaque at the statue saying “Mr. Colston was a slave-trader and massive shit-cunt”

Confederate statues in the South though is a different story.
    Those are a good example of what I said in the other post. Something like the Robert E. Lee statue in Richmond, and other notables built around the turn of the century when a lot of the veterans were dropping off and interest picked up across the board, are different propositions to the crash-built sixties stuff which had very specific political values. I personally wouldn't remove any of them, since it's all part of it, but I could at least see the case for the latter stuff going.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ultimately they're just statues and removing them is a symbolic gesture at best.

Back to Iraq, how much difference would it have made to the situation there if the statue had been torn down but Saddam stayed in power?

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There will be riots in London soon enough.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wonder what they're going to do with Blackboy Hill (nowt to do with slavery apparently)? Also, imagine how fucked they'll be if someone discovers Brunel was a massive racist.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe Sharia Law isn't such a bad idea

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's why London and Birmingham have been under it for years.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got stoned to death just the other day. Wasn't as bad as it sounds, all in all.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewis View Post
    Those are a good example of what I said in the other post. Something like the Robert E. Lee statue in Richmond, and other notables built around the turn of the century when a lot of the veterans were dropping off and interest picked up across the board, are different propositions to the crash-built sixties stuff which had very specific political values. I personally wouldn't remove any of them, since it's all part of it, but I could at least see the case for the latter stuff going.
    They’re monuments to a defeated enemy combatant of the United States. You could have them gone on that basis alone.

Worse, though, is that they have a still really potent symbolic power in the South where a lot of white supremacy and KKK sentiment hides behind Confederate pride. Whereas I don’t imagine this fella in Bristol was actively stirring up any nostalgic feelings for the days of slave ships. That’s where I would draw the line.

It’s not like the surge of confederate pride at the turn of the century was only caused by Veterans dying

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If they were erected within/around living memory then, whatever else went into them, they have a different dimension to things put up a century later, and what people chose to imbue them with now is irrelevant. There are clearly dickheads in Bristol (including the pathetic copper interviewed about it) who felt that that statue had 'potent symbolic power', so your line seems a bit arbitrary. As for depriving enemy combatants of their monuments, where does that leave the indigenous fellas?

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Artist Formerly Known as Taz
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Brb just going to sign up to KKK.

Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

PrOtEsTs DoN't WoRk

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ah yes, pledges. Those mean a lot.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Change the name, give them new uniforms, and we'll be good to go.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This “aBoLiSh ThE PoLiCe” stuff seems like a load of guff to me, in that every proposal I’ve seen about replacing the institution has nothing in the way of real, practical, researched solutions, and instead advocates for handwavy stuff like “COMMUNITY SUPPORT OFFICERS AND MENTAL HEALTH WORKERS.”

I think policing, especially in the US, requires massive reform. But I don’t think abolishing the institution is the right approach, because the institution is valuable.

Things like making body cameras/recordings mandatory and serving up harsh penalties (e.g., 1 strike and you’re out firings) for instances of tampering are a start; independent ethics boards (and not an internal investigations unit allegiant to the same union) reviewing footage after every loss of life/serious injury. Tangible stuff that forces accountability, similar to how everything that goes on in a airline cockpit is recorded and preserved, and there is an independent investigation unit not tied to the pilot’s union or airlines conducting investigations.

The Artist Formerly Known as Taz
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tommy Robinson calling for anti-BLM protesters to meet them next saturday in London. This is what I fucking get up in the mornings for.

https://youtu.be/4REO0pucYY8

If you had to make me choose I'd select Tommy's boys as I love a good underdog but realistically, I'll be a mercenary, highest bid has my services. Defection will obviously also be on the cards if things look bad.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The supposedly thought-out versions of this I've come across follow that old tried-and-tested Communist Manifesto thinking. It's not just defunding the police lol, it's taking that money and investing it in schools and 'jobs' and trannies and then crime disappears.

When, in the course of development, class distinctions have disappeared, and all production has been concentrated in the hands of a vast association of the whole nation, the public power will lose its political character. Political power, properly so called, is merely the organised power of one class for oppressing another. If the proletariat during its contest with the bourgeoisie is compelled, by the force of circumstances, to organise itself as a class, if, by means of a revolution, it makes itself the ruling class, and, as such, sweeps away by force the old conditions of production, then it will, along with these conditions, have swept away the conditions for the existence of class antagonisms and of classes generally, and will thereby have abolished its own supremacy as a class.
    It's a bit of a self-sucking cock, and when it inevitably fails like communism it will turn out not have been real abolition all along.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know too much about Marx the person, did he ever have to actually earn his own living or was some benefactor propping him up to write that naive load of bollocks?

EDIT: Ah, here we go (per wiki):

His main source of income was Engels, whose own source was his wealthy industrialist father.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewis View Post
    If they were erected within/around living memory then, whatever else went into them, they have a different dimension to things put up a century later, and what people chose to imbue them with now is irrelevant. There are clearly dickheads in Bristol (including the pathetic copper interviewed about it) who felt that that statue had 'potent symbolic power', so your line seems a bit arbitrary. As for depriving enemy combatants of their monuments, where does that leave the indigenous fellas?
    It’s not like confederate symbols were later appropriated by racists. The entire basis of the confederacy was white supremacy. There’s no non-racist version of the confederate flag or confederate statues.

I’d knock the confederate statues down because they’re still a potent rallying symbol for the cause of white supremacy in the south, which is alive and well. I don’t imagine you have similar nutjobs in the UK rallying around this statue in Bristol. That’s the difference to me; and I’d disagree with the protesters in Bristol on that basis.

If you need evidence that confederate statues are potent symbols today, remember that huge neo-Nazi rally in Charlottesville formed in opposition to the removal of a Lee statue. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unite_...ly?wprov=sfti1

Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Luca View Post
    This “aBoLiSh ThE PoLiCe” stuff seems like a load of guff to me, in that every proposal I’ve seen about replacing the institution has nothing in the way of real, practical, researched solutions, and instead advocates for handwavy stuff like “COMMUNITY SUPPORT OFFICERS AND MENTAL HEALTH WORKERS.”

I think policing, especially in the US, requires massive reform. But I don’t think abolishing the institution is the right approach, because the institution is valuable.

Things like making body cameras/recordings mandatory and serving up harsh penalties (e.g., 1 strike and you’re out firings) for instances of tampering are a start; independent ethics boards (and not an internal investigations unit allegiant to the same union) reviewing footage after every loss of life/serious injury. Tangible stuff that forces accountability, similar to how everything that goes on in a airline cockpit is recorded and preserved, and there is an independent investigation unit not tied to the pilot’s union or airlines conducting investigations.
    Camden New Jersey did it nearly half a decade ago. Crime is down. Protests didn’t get violent. Etc.

Here’s a piece from 2014 on it.

https://www.nytimes.com/2014/09/01/n...ice-force.html

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some of the responses in here are bonkers. A minority, who face shit every day because of the colour of their skin, decide to rip down the statue of a infamous slave trader, and some on here feel bad for the statue. Fuck me.
    As for learning more about history - we have books and the internet for this, we don't need statues of slave traders, rapists or murderers to remind us. Keep the building, keep text books - but don't keep the fucking statues, it's a insult.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I didn’t realize they threw it into the harbour.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by John Arne View Post
    Some of the responses in here are bonkers. A minority, who face shit every day because of the colour of their skin, decide to rip down the statue of a infamous slave trader, and some on here feel bad for the statue. Fuck me.
    As for learning more about history - we have books and the internet for this, we don't need statues of slave traders, rapists or murderers to remind us. Keep the building, keep text books - but don't keep the fucking statues, it's a insult.
    It was white people ripping the statue down.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yevrah View Post
    It was white people ripping the statue down.
    White people can be offended by racism, too.
    I saw the video, there appeared to by some white hippie front and centre - it doesn't change a thing.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The real question that should be asked is why Bristol has devoted half the town to a slave trader and why it hasn't been fixed prior to this point. Sort yourselves out you wet slags.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "This is an iconic moment for Bristol."

Not much happens in Bristol.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The dickheads from the west coast of the UK built all their ill-gotten wealth on slaves and/or ships, unlike the fine and guilt-free eastern half who built our prestige on screwing over Flemish wool traders, and the Hanseatic League.

We should really build a wall from the Sussex/Hampshire border all the way up to Kendal.
    Last edited by Jimmy Floyd; 08-06-2020 at 08:17 AM.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cool. But you don't have fucking statues celebrating it.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Priti Patel hates blacks, guys.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Or vandalism. One of the two.

ram it up your shitpipe Giggles's Avatar
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Doesn’t she just hate everything?

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    She’s a vile cunt. Somehow worse than Hancock and also went in hiding for 6 weeks during the lockdown.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Priti Patel will always side with the worst people. She's abhorrent.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Helping set immigration laws that would likely not have allowed her own parents into the country was a high point.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can they be backdated?

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Changed my mind on the statue. If the council are refusing to take it down through their inaction (and say, house it in a museum) then some form of action was needed to force that to happen.

If a statue of Jimmy Savile (who also did loads of great work alongside the obvious) had been erected in more favourable times for him, it would have taken about 5 minutes for a council to get rid of that when the truth about what he was up to became clear.

This isn't any different, and really just sums up how much (little) black lives matter in society.

Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also it seems they’ve been debating what plaque to put on the statue for 2 years so all the ‘BuT hOw WiLl ThE cHiLDrEn LeArN’ argument can get fucked.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Apparently this guy chucked a load of slaves overboard in order to claim on the insurance, so what the fuck a statue was doing up in the first place is a big question

ram it up your shitpipe Giggles's Avatar
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by phonics View Post
    Also it seems they’ve been debating what plaque to put on the statue for 2 years so all the ‘BuT hOw WiLl ThE cHiLDrEn LeArN’ argument can get fucked.
    Stop doing that you imbecile.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Because if people are still arguing now about whether black lives matter then they sure as hell didn't matter in 1895.

Back then I would have thought at least 90% of the population would have been unpalatably racist by today's standards.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Probably literally everyone bar Bertrand Russell and friends.

As for Lewis’ post last page: why not? It’s a commemoration of a shithead who shouldn’t be commemorated.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Teaching it in schools would be a start, far more effective than whatever was never going to be done with that statue.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Floyd View Post
    Because if people are still arguing now about whether black lives matter then they sure as hell didn't matter in 1895.

Back then I would have thought at least 90% of the population would have been unpalatably racist by today's standards.
    To be fair, by current standards, 90+ % of the current population is considered racist. But yes, I agree.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It should have been taken down ages ago and put in the local museum.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Local government is also universally rubbish, statue moving probably doesn't produce many free lunches or sufficiently massage egos.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Disco View Post
    Teaching it in schools would be a start, far more effective than whatever was never going to be done with that statue.
    Any teaching of Britain's role in things like Ireland or India would be useful. My memories of history include Ancient Egypt, Tudors, Stewarts, some of WW1 and WW2 and then British development in health in the final 100 years. Nothing memorable on empire.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We did a bit on Ireland troubles-wise and touched on empire and slavery when we did industrial revolution etc but not much.

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)