Page 30 of 31 FirstFirst ... 2028293031 LastLast
Results 1,451 to 1,500 of 1543

Thread: Stocks & Shares & that

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pepe View Post
    Nvidia has been a successful business for a long time. Tesla was priced really high before it made a single cent in profits.

In any case, like 90% of my money is on ETFs.
    Successful, yes. But what was the share price before everyone wanted a GPU for mining and the prices went haywire, comparatively? Obviously the AI stuff will be getting them massive profits but their bread and butter has people pointing out that it is a higher price than ever for a smaller upgrade than ever before on their GPUs.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Less than 100USD until mid-2020.

Saying that, I bought in on the hype last summer at around 400. I'm selling at 1000 and putting it in something less crazy. Can't trust Ji to not invade.

The Artist Formerly Known as Taz
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not exactly sounding like free money to jump on an inferior copy to the real thing but AMD's modest growth does intrigue me. Gonna look into it in some depth in the coming days before deciding whether to take the plunge.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Don View Post
    Not exactly sounding like free money to jump on an inferior copy to the real thing but AMD's modest growth does intrigue me. Gonna look into it in some depth in the coming days before deciding whether to take the plunge.
    No depth needed, they just wipe the floor with Intel for gaming CPUs. Much cheaper, less power draw and more powerful.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Plus, about every 6-7 years, AMD take a massive leap out of nowhere and piss on Nvidia's and/or Intel's chips, particular on price vs performance. Ryzen has been insanely successful. Shame the GPUs haven't quite had the same effect, although its been AMD's strongest showing on GPUs for years these past few years.

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think I can fight the urge to short BTC much longer. IG don't think I'm a pro trader even with my credentials and girth so they won't allow spreadbetting/CFDs on crypto. What's a good UK alternative?

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Right, I'm with Taz and I think crypto is about at its high point, so I'm going to liquidate all (/most, maybe) of my BTC and ETH and any other non-sensible places I've got some cash.

The plan is to attack the ISA allowance with Vanguard's funds then after that open a SIPP. That's the way to go right?

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben View Post
    Right, I'm with Taz and I think crypto is about at its high point, so I'm going to liquidate all (/most, maybe) of my BTC and ETH and any other non-sensible places I've got some cash.

The plan is to attack the ISA allowance with Vanguard's funds then after that open a SIPP. That's the way to go right?
    Do you know what Vanguard funds? Make sure you pick to match your attitude to risk. Also with a SIPP do you have a workplace pension? Are you putting your maximum into that and does your employer match contributions? If your workplace has a decent pension plan then you will normally get cheap costs and if you benefit from things like salary sacrifice that’s more tax efficient.

Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not a chance BTC is even close to its peak. For future e-victories it’s currently £52,728.07 / $67,103.70
    I'm a twit

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hang on scratch that, BTC is due for a halving next month. The previous three have resulted in a bull market so I'm hanging tight.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Luke Emia View Post
    Do you know what Vanguard funds? Make sure you pick to match your attitude to risk. Also with a SIPP do you have a workplace pension? Are you putting your maximum into that and does your employer match contributions? If your workplace has a decent pension plan then you will normally get cheap costs and if you benefit from things like salary sacrifice that’s more tax efficient.
    I've maxed my contribution with what my employer will match. And the pension performance is pretty shit, hence looking at a SIPP rather than keep upping my percentage with the work one.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've maxed my contribution with what my employer will match. And the pension performance is pretty shit, hence looking at a SIPP rather than keep upping my percentage with the work one.
    Ok with the workplace pension who’s it with? You should have the option to switch funds within whoever the provider is. As if it’s work related they will probably just be plonked into a balanced fund so you might think the performance is poor but if it’s tracking it’s benchmark it may be doing ok realistically it’s just not doing what you want it to do.

Alternatively if you can switch the money out of there that currently sit within it if you aren’t happy with the performance to somewhere else potentially within your SIPP if that’s what you wanted to do.

Best thing to do is complete an attitude to risk profiler, Royal London have one on their website then once you know where you sit with that pick any funds within a SIPP based on how adventurous you are they will all have fund sheets which tell you what risk appetite they are for.

Pick 4/5 funds look at their history over the past 5/10 years plus how they performed in 2022 as that’s the big outlier at the minute and then just go from there.

Do the same with your ISA’s but that’s where I’d suggest taking a bit more risk because it’s not so detrimental to lose that as it is in your pension.

Or just use Bazbot. Whichever you’d rather really.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Luke Emia View Post
    Ok with the workplace pension who’s it with? You should have the option to switch funds within whoever the provider is. As if it’s work related they will probably just be plonked into a balanced fund so you might think the performance is poor but if it’s tracking it’s benchmark it may be doing ok realistically it’s just not doing what you want it to do.

Alternatively if you can switch the money out of there that currently sit within it if you aren’t happy with the performance to somewhere else potentially within your SIPP if that’s what you wanted to do.

Best thing to do is complete an attitude to risk profiler, Royal London have one on their website then once you know where you sit with that pick any funds within a SIPP based on how adventurous you are they will all have fund sheets which tell you what risk appetite they are for.

Pick 4/5 funds look at their history over the past 5/10 years plus how they performed in 2022 as that’s the big outlier at the minute and then just go from there.

Do the same with your ISA’s but that’s where I’d suggest taking a bit more risk because it’s not so detrimental to lose that as it is in your pension.

Or just use Bazbot. Whichever you’d rather really.
    Workplace is with People's Pension. They've only got three options: Conservative, Balanced, Adventurous. All wank and all very similar returns, so I don't want more in there than I can get away with. I've looked into transferring over the vast majority into a SIPP that is with a better provider (but not all, so it doesn't close it down and piss off payroll at work).

I've picked out three ISA funds with Vanguard. They're all mid risk but are >10% in the last five years and even stayed in positive through 2022.

Thanks.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Any reason the FTSE appears to have gone mental today?

Look at the state of Rolls Royce. 420 a share. Good old Mellers. Should have just stuck THE FUND on that.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My S&S ISA is up £200 since yesterday morning.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good news on inflation and rate cuts being heavily hinted at in the summer.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What's the psychology of 8000 then? If it hits it does it blast through, or is it an impenetrable barrier?

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Had my first fat fingers incident today resulting in accidentally buying £12k of prudential shares rather than the intended £1650.

The horror of realisation is not something I want to repeat. £50 pissed into the wall immediately undoing the mistake

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Go big or go homeless

Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fair play that you can make such a mistake and it goes through though. Baller
    I'm a twit

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Having a cool £12k lying around...

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It was an unfortunate situation where those funds were not invested elsewhere at that time. I’ve sold instead of buying before but this is the first time I’ve made a complete arse of a transaction. Worse still it was slightly up today so had I had the nerve I could’ve made a small profit.

But it has enlightened me that might be a strategy, with the right share.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Big bets on small movements. It's the way to go, but, you know, Mellcorp.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What are we thinking at 1.30 with inflation data?

I’ve spent my morning de risking myself a little bit selling a few things I can to cover downside which I would buy back.

Was far too exposed to IQE and it absolutely popped this morning after slipping the last few weeks.

Missed out on war paint earlier this week. Set a buy after realising it had dropped and then popped 13%. Annoying.

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I ain't getting involved in this short-term business but if anyone has any ideas for long-term investments, spill. I've stuck on 50% of a recent lump sum into an Indian ETF (https://markets.ft.com/data/etfs/tea...s=IIND:LSE:GBP @ £7.31) and now want to utilise the remaining 50%.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it'll be down. Look at Tesco's profit statement this morning, very quick to point out inflationary pressures have "lessened substantially" and their sector is a big part of overall inflation.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm thinking of locking in a 20+ year bond while interest rates are good. Only thing putting me off is that absolute piss that Hargreaves Lansdown are taking with their fee to set it up (1% (£20 minimum, £50 maximum)).

It's nothing really and I probably will, but when I can buy funds with no fee Its tempting to just keep lumping it in there.
    Last edited by Spikey M; 10-04-2024 at 11:38 AM.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bonds are for old men, no? The advice I've always seen says don't bother with bonds until you're into the back nine of life. Equity returns are better.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bonds are for old men, no? The advice I've always seen says don't bother with bonds until you're into the back nine of life. Equity returns are better.
    It's a hedge. I don't want to reach retirement age just as another 2008 style crash happens and have to keep working. With bonds I can lock in a guaranteed return and know exactly when I'm getting it. Plus, when it matures, I will be an old git.

Short term bonds are proper old man territory though, yes.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What return is on offer for 20 years?

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yevrah View Post
    What return is on offer for 20 years?
    I haven't looked into properly yet, but I believe 6% a year.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Compounded?

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I didn't get involved in AMD during my last mention but having seen Intel's price collapse, I've bought in at 37.20. They've invested billions in new gear with the aim of competing with Nvidia and besides some heightened Chinese trade war business, I can't see too big a risk for what is a big name. Seems a great time to buy.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You’re doomed. I’ve been accumulating intel shares over the last week or so. It’s going to collapse further.

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This isn't some random startup though, those Pentium 4 chips in my laptop were a thing of art, craftsmanship of such calibre guarantees a lasting presence and reputation in the market and inshallah what a market it's going to be

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Compounded?
    This is one of the things I need to look into. I know alot of Bonds pay interest monthly/quarterly/annually and you get it as cash. Then you just get what you paid for the bond back at the end. Which is why pensioners like them.

I want the interest to compound though. I am assuming it must be an option. Especially with longer term bonds, but I have no idea. If you can't do it then the idea goes in the bin.
    Last edited by Spikey M; 11-04-2024 at 11:14 AM.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Foe View Post
    You’re doomed. I’ve been accumulating intel shares over the last week or so. It’s going to collapse further.
    Why are you buying Intel? There's good reason for their collapse. They're the Nokia of the processing world now.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are they? Who is making all of the processors now?

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Nokia of the processing world seems a bit much but they've probably lost quite a bit since Apple started making their own chips.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fifteen years ago.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Soldier View Post
    No depth needed, they just wipe the floor with Intel for gaming CPUs. Much cheaper, less power draw and more powerful.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pepe View Post
    Are they? Who is making all of the processors now?
    Here's where I hand you over to DS.

I know they are massively inferior to AMD in both price and performance, but that's about the end of my Knowledge on them. The future doesn't look bright unless they have a surprise up their sleeve though and I wouldn't be buying their stock at the moment.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There’s no logic in my moves.

I’m a #buythedip fiend. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn’t.

Bought Tesco, aviva, Lloyds and legal and general today for similar reasons. Most of those dipped because of ex dividend, but still.

£100/day still going strong.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have you a spreadsheet you'd care to share Foe?

And did I read that right, you're trousering £100 a day?

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Speaking of mistakes. What the fuck was I thinking buying Ocado. I’ve purposely avoided it for years but this year I opted for “take more risk, you’re young”.

I’m not young and it’s been a horrendous decision.

Going to slowly sell out of my positions in what id call speculative stocks and be more rigid into ftse 100 dividend stocks.

FoeHedgeFund

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have you a spreadsheet you'd care to share Foe?

And did I read that right, you're trousering £100 a day?
    All my spreadsheet does is record when I’ve “banked” profit. Intent of that was to keep track of which companies were profitable repeatedly and when I became pretty inert to downside on them and playing with profit. There’s nothing technical about it.

2024 has been pretty good to me, bar a few bad actors which are pretty significant paper losses at the moment. But other than that riding the waves and being diverse has worked well.

Anglo American, fresnillo, Ford, legal and general and palantir been particularly volatile and profitable.

Today was £35ish on Mondi, £55 on a batch of Bloomsbury publishing and £17 on a seperate batch of Bloomsbury publishing. £105. Reinvested into the above,

Lots of and lots of shares move 2-5% over the space of 2-3 days, so if you’re comfortable owning them, and buying more if it dips down, you can just shuffle around as the market does.

Yesterday I unloaded a bunch of IQE for £80, another batch for £40 and binned out of a few other ransoms.

I would’ve made absolute bank had I bought and held a load of fresnillo or Anglo American or IQE and sold in a oner, but I’m happy with lots of repeat small profits. Once I’ve build a load of “profit” buffer I can be a bit more cautious and hold for longer - and that’s what I’m going to try next. Limit myself to about ten companies and just have much bigger stakes/batches in them. Trick for me is not too much at any one share entry price.

Retired or bankrupt by 40. My job is well paying and my out goings are fuck all. So I’ve been spending the last 18 months trying to figure out how I can use it to generate wealth. I’m pretty fortunate on that front.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So you look for dips in price and go in? Anything else you consider?

What platform are you using? Aren't these short term trade profits dampened a bit by the fees?

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh and what's your total amount invested, if you don't mind me asking. Just trying to work out how much you need to have spread about to be cashing out some for £100 a day profit.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Isn't buying a property a less effort-intensive way of doing this?

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Possibly, but I'm not convinced we're not on the cusp of something bad happening there. It'd also be a hassle/unviable for me personally as I'd get utterly rinsed for tax on any income from it unless I set it up through a company which I can't really be arsed to do.