108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Israel on top form.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Attacking civilians attending a humanitarian aid effort. That's unarguably a war crime, right?

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They went past the war crime threshold months ago. Hopefully uncle sam is about to pull the plug.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spikey M View Post
    Some of the context. This stuff will run deep. For example, people arriving from war zones. Can they be expected to immediately become functioning members of society? Are we to discount the years, of no blacks, no dogs, no Irishmen? "Fuck that, you're equal now, catch up ffs".

There will be loads of shit factoring in that we haven't even began to consider.

Then there's the issue of our biggest net-drain. The Super Rich, buying everything, driving up prices, suppressing wages and hiding their cash however they can to avoid paying tax.

But no. No, it's the blacks that are wrong.
    How long do we give them? The outcomes of Caribbean blacks are largely shit across the board, and they have been here for seventy years. Same for Pakistanis and Bengalis. Not so much in China, or in parts of India and Nigeria. Outcomes that tend to mirror the outcomes in their own countries, funnily enough. China must have fewer tower blocks than Jamaica.

All I'm asking for is a bit of selection in who we let in, and expecting foreigners to earn substantially more than the native population/not be a financial burden is not an unreasonable place to start.

ram it up your shitpipe Giggles's Avatar
    Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Attacking civilians attending a humanitarian aid effort. That's unarguably a war crime, right?
    Have they not been at those for months?

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Decades really but this is a particularly monstrous example of their fuckery.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Amazing milestone for humanity hit.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-68436642

Obviously we'd need to deduct the people who have positive body image to get the actual number, which might mean we're still some way short of the 1bn.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sugar tax working well.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Prices are up so yes it is.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I started reading this a while ago and it's eye opening.

Blaming it on sugar and implementing sugar taxes is part of the problem. Sugar is the tip of the iceberg. The issue is that our eating culture has completely changed over the last 60 years, from meat and 2 veg, to processed foods.

Our bodies are wired to stop eating when we are full, and it works when you have a steak, potato and some greens, because it's hard to eat 1000 calories of that. It's piss easy to eat 1000 calories of Chicago Town pizza, microwave lasagne, etc. So we do. And they make sure we do, by making it addictive.

It's just one more evil of Western culture. Nothing to see here.

If they wanted to fix it, they'd ban it and go back to whole foods. But money printer go brrrrrrrrr. So, yeah. Enjoy the diabetes.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also, what the Yanks have done to Polynesia since WW2 is... I don't know what the word is. Evil doesn't do it justice.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I could easily eat 1,000 calories of steak, potatoes and veg.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    But I take your overall point. And we all work so much (probably sat at desks) that people struggle to find time to fit any exercise in.

The Artist Formerly Known as Taz
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love the "healthy food is too expensive" argument. You ain't priced out of healthy food, you disgusting piece of shit, you have an unhealthy relationship with food due to not being educated properly/childhood trauma.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Time is another factor in cooking healthy food too. Recently I've been making big pots of soup that last me about three days. But all the prep for that takes me maybe 45 minutes to an hour. And then cooking time of at least half an hour, maybe an hour. Imagine you were feeding a family and having to do that every night.
    Last edited by Boydy; 01-03-2024 at 10:50 AM.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Best thing I did was get out of (ie made redundant from) my office job and into something where I'm on my feet for most of the day. No reason not to eat sensibly either way though but if all you're raised on is potato smileys and extra chips in a bun then you don't know any better.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Boydy View Post
    Imagine you were feeding a family and having to do that every night.
    We do, and Taz is largely right. We eat shite because we eat shite. It's cultural at this point. Something like 80% of all the food we eat is made by 5 companies and it's all processed shite. Cereal being marketed as healthy for example, because they've added some vitamins. Meanwhile, the recommended serving is about 2 tablespoons worth and kids eat 10 servings at a time because nobody actually weighs it and they know this.

We have made a conscious effort to change it and the kids rarely eat this stuff any more. We haven't completely removed it, obviously, we don't want to be hated, but they eat far less crap now. Meanwhile Me and the wife have pretty much stopped entirely. Batch cooking is indeed the answer. Chilli, curry, Taz's favourite Sheperd's Pie. Just find a recipe and make it in bulk. It's not that hard.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is another casualty of feminism.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would argue eating healthy is partly prohibited by cost, because if you look at the bargain tier shops (I'm talking Home Bargains, B&M etc) people seem to do full shops in there but it's a lot more processed stuff, even when they do have fresh, frozen etc it is quite limited in selection unless you are at one of their huge stores.

People say Aldi is a bargain but we swapped from Asda to Aldi this week as an experiment and they came in at the same price including the fact Asda was delivered.

Also we are a household of two adults who cook meals from scratch and look to make 4 portions and use 2 portions as lunch the following day, both of us find it is hard to try the old 'reduce meat in the recipe to save money' trick without it resulting in feeling hungry quickly after lunch from the protein shortfall.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When you reduce the meat what are you replacing it with?

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Beyond mince is better than actual mince, although is probably worse for you and the environment.

People should just eat more beans. Beans are great.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah I generally swap in beans or lentils to replace meat. Black beluga lentils are my favourite and have almost as much protein per 100g as beef, although admittedly they are more expensive than standard lentils.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use beans and lentils quite a lot too. Usually chickpeas, butterbeans or red lentils. Must branch out into more types of lentils.

Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Butter beans are great in so much stuff.

Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm a twit

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Baz View Post

Butterbean has not been OK

(This video is genuinely quite heartwarming and a good watch).

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The reason people in the olden days were thinner is because they either worked harder (physically-speaking) and/or couldn't afford to eat as much as we do. People in the seventies lived on red meat, bread, milk, and sugar, which was rationed during the darkest days of the Second World War in larger amounts than the government currently recommends you consume every day. Plus literally every other person smoked.

Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Aaaaah smoking. I so miss that.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewis View Post
    The reason people in the olden days were thinner is because they either worked harder (physically-speaking) and/or couldn't afford to eat as much as we do. People in the seventies lived on red meat, bread, milk, and sugar, which was rationed during the darkest days of the Second World War in larger amounts than the government currently recommends you consume every day. Plus literally every other person smoked.
    If that were the case poor people would be thin and rich people would be fat. The opposite is true.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are you saying that the Fat Cats (who earn the Bankers Bonuses) are actually skinny dweebs?

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For the most part, sure. Although you might get some fat messes with no excuse for it. Obesity is the disease of the poor.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If that were the case poor people would be thin and rich people would be fat. The opposite is true.
    The poor people of today have access to much cheaper food than even comparatively wealthy olden days people, and eat too much of it whilst not working strenuous jobs and/or smoking. It's not 'ultra-processed food' doing them in.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was out in the park last weekend and it's come to my attention parents don't play footy with their kids any more. That's now granddad's territory. Or they leave the kid to do it themselves, if they do it at all.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Food is a massive shift in the last 50 or so years (27 years). My old man was middle-middle-middle class probably (his dad was a teacher) and they seemed to eat corned beef, luncheon meat and absolutely filthy boiled potatoes the whole time. You look at old restaurant menus from the 70s and it's an absolute war zone.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Food is dirt cheap (healthy, unhealthy, processed, organic; all of it) so we eat a ton of it. We also do fuck all. Of course we are all fat.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also, not only are the jobs done nowadays less strenous (even the lower class ones), but all of our free time is spent sitting staring at a computer/phone/TV, as opposed to going out to the stores or something.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shindig View Post
    I was out in the park last weekend and it's come to my attention parents don't play footy with their kids any more. That's now granddad's territory. Or they leave the kid to do it themselves, if they do it at all.
    Everyone is looking at their phone, all of the time, everywhere.

This includes most children over the age of 10.

Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I look at mine even more because of the type of person that rallies against it.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pepe View Post
    Also, not only are the jobs done nowadays less strenous (even the lower class ones), but all of our free time is spent sitting staring at a computer/phone/TV, as opposed to going out to the stores or something.
    Dunno how exaggerated it was but in a Bill Bryson book published many moons ago I remember him saying that even when Americans do go to the store they go by car in a lot of cases, no matter how close it is.* Saying when he moved back to the States he'd take a ten minute walk to the shop and he'd have neighbours comment on this like he was deranged for walking when they know he had a car on the drive.

* This is probably equally, or at least increasingly, true of Britons now as well.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My walk to work is 15-20 minutes long, depending how late I am running. I have a colleague who lives halfway. She drives to work every single day. The supermarket is a 20 minutes walk away and some professors where trying to organize rides for the students over winter break, because apparently expecting them to walk is beyond the pale.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sodium is becoming a massive thing in shit food.

Even "healthy" options (sandwiches and ready meals) at Supermarkets are absolutely fucking loaded with salt. You'd be hard pushed to find something with lower than 25% of your RDA when most are pushing 30-35%.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Salt isn’t a bad thing if you offset it with water but too many people don’t drink it.

mischamischaracterisation Dquincy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pepe View Post
    Food is dirt cheap (healthy, unhealthy, processed, organic; all of it) so we eat a ton of it. We also do fuck all. Of course we are all fat.
    You wot? Organic is not cheap. My wife is always buying it and our food shop cost has gone through the roof.

A whole chicken : £5
    Organic whole chicken : £20

Madness.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben View Post
    Salt isn’t a bad thing if you offset it with water but too many people don’t drink it.
    People at work lol at my water consumption. How they manage on a cup of tea every few hours is beyond me.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, I can't do tea or coffee when I'm the office. Two tall glasses of water sorts me out for the whole shift.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just seem to be constantly needing a piss when I try and up my water consumption.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lofty View Post
    I just seem to be constantly needing a piss when I try and up my water consumption.
    Your body gets used to it.

When I started doing 2l a day (I really should move to 3l a day) I'd be pissing every 10 minutes it felt like.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Unless you have renal failure, just drink when you're thirsty.

The Artist Formerly Known as Taz
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's a lot to be said about the difference in quality between a supermarket chicken and a £20 high-end butcher one.

But the point that a healthy diet has to be expensive is also horseshit.

Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I live mostly on bachelors noodles these days.
    I'm a twit